Compare Regent vs Crystal

ctemkg

Trying to stop freedom of expression (other than what is against CC policies) is not right -- not on any level.

P.S. Just realized that it sounds like I contradicted myself. In terms of "freedom of speech" on CruiseCritic, there is, IMO, no place for politics. Hope that clarifies my position.

Well geez, just when I was getting ready to speak as one of the few, if not only, liberal "Censor-natians," and celebrate your presumed old hippie ways, you come back with that.

So instead, I shall say in the words of that fabulously succinct 11 year old granddaughter of mine, WHATEVERRRRRR! :D

Still, I say go to your suite, Miles. I mean it.

Honestly TC, there is no point here to the "politics"as you apparently see it. It is a vacation like I said before, not a presidential campaign! Sometimes you just need to stop! And yes, like mimi2four said. WHATEVERRRRRR!

Oh, I keep taking up for Miles and his perogotive to speak here. But I don't think he's getting anywhere toward promoting Crystal. But let him rant.

Edited by jhp

As I believe wripro said somewhere back in this thread, there is no "best" cruise line, there is just the one you prefer. To which I would add, that doesn't make anyone else's choice wrong! We have been on one Regent cruise and enjoyed it. Have been on one Silversea and enjoyed it. Have been on a bunch of Crystal cruises and enjoyed almost all of them. Just came back from a great cruise on RCI's Allure of the Seas with 6200 of "our new best friends" for heaven's sake! Had a meal at their Chef's Table that put every meal we have ever had on Crystal, Silversea or Regent to shame! Does that make RCI the best cruise line?? Not a chance! As I have said on other threads, and to paraphrase my Grandfather about beers, "there are no bad cruises, just some that are better than others." Be thankful that we are among the 0.000005% of the worlds' population that can even say we have BEEN on a cruise!!

Edited by Roland4

Be thankful that we are among the 0.000005% of the worlds' population that can even say we have BEEN on a cruise!!

Agree completely with the sentiment. But -- only just in fun -- I'll note that your math is a little off. There are about 7 billion people in the world.

7,000,000,000 x .000005 ÷ 100 = 350

Regent ships sometimes seem rather empty, but I'm pretty confident more than 350 people in the world have been on a cruise! ;)

-- Eric

The reality is that I have rarely ever seen a thread that begins tell me which is better this cruise line or that cruise line end without a lot of emotion and even some hurt feelings. Every time I see a thread like this I can predict the outcome. The same is true for a few other topics that come up from time to time on Cruise Critic.

Unlike politics, religion and some other items that sometimes get contentious, my experience is that one can have an oral conversation with others about cruises and cruise lines without it ever getting emotional because it becomes a two way discussion or more if others participate. However, it is true that on forums such as the Cruise Critic boards it usually does become emotional and is very similar to a political discussion that takes place nowadays. The difference also is that as long as you stay within the guidelines of cruise critic you can say just about anything you want and that includes many more over the top comments than you would likely see in a face to face conversation.

This is why my advice anytime people are trying to figure out which cruise line to sail on is quite simple.

If I am using Cruise Critic to decide what cruise line I will take if it's one I haven't taken before I read as many threads as I can on the respective boards. I go with what I call the 80/20 rule. That means that if around 80% or more of the people say these are the strengths or the weaknesses of a cruise line I accept that as fact until I experience it myself. You are just not going to get 100% consensus on anything whether that is a car, movie, restaurant, Broadway show etc and certainly not with a cruise or a cruise line. This is because each of us has different tastes and opinions so we don't all see things the same way. If we did, we would all dress the same way, like the same things, dislike the same things, eat the same food, and there would only be one cruise line. And when it comes to cruising you wouldn't have multiple activities offered the same day, different size rooms, more than one restaurant, more than one excursion, etc., etc., etc., To me, that would be boring. I also try to weed out those things that are not important to us along with the over the top comments.

I then have a list of positives and negatives for each cruise line. I then weigh those with what my wife and I consider important about cruising and what we don't think is important. I also do some other research and that includes looking at the cruise lines web sites and brochures and also reading the comments in the annual book on cruise lines published by Berlitz and then I seek out a few people I know who might have cruised on those cruise lines to see if what I have learned can be validated by them. Also a good TA who has sailed on these lines can be very helpful. I also study the deck plans.

And I have also learned that it is really possible to enjoy attributes of more than one cruise line and I've also found that not all ships or cruise lines fit the bill for each and every cruise. In others words, I loved the experience of sailing on the Seabourn 200 passenger triplets but for me and my wife that would not work to create a world voyage by combining several other cruises together. For us the ship would be too small for a 100 day cruise. But, I am sure there are some out there who would even see that differently.

In the end, each person has to figure out which cruise lines(s) and even ship(s) work best for them. And we have to realize what works great for one person might not work well for the other person. You may be in the 80% or the 20% of the range I mentioned.

What I will say is that consistency does mean a lot and if the cruise line is drawing a lot of people with on the most part very favorable comments regardless of whether it is a cruise line that works well for us they must be doing something right. In reality they are doing a lot of things right.

When people ask me for an opinion on a line I have sailed, I try to lay out for them what I consider the strengths along with the weaknesses. But I tell them that is just my own opinion and others might see it completely differently. I try to be balanced because all cruise lines have attributes. I can’t think of any that don’t.

I also am very cognoscente about not putting down any cruise line because I know there are others who enjoy it or see things differently. For example, I have been in port when others will say “You see that ship. There is no way I would sail on that ship because it is too big or too this. Well, you know there might be others out there who look at your ship and say the same thing or say just the opposite. When I see another ship in port my thought is there are likely a lot of people on that ship enjoying their cruise and for some it is a cruise of a lifetime.

In the end, we consider ourselves very fortunate to be able to cruise.

Remember, in the end, the most important opinion is your own but that doesn’t make you right or wrong over someone else.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Well geez, just when I was getting ready to speak as one of the few, if not only, liberal "Censor-natians," and celebrate your presumed old hippie ways, you come back with that.

So instead, I shall say in the words of that fabulously succinct 11 year old granddaughter of mine, WHATEVERRRRRR! :D

Mrs.T.....I have been told by Dan to go to my room <not suite> and shut up or he will take my computer and hide it.

BTW, we are home and still have not booked another cruise.:( I think we are going back to Africa. You can't argue with elephants. LOL

..:cool: You often use humor in your posts and I think it really adds to the enjoyment of all....But of course that is just an opinion and not a fact, or for that matter, probably or maybe, ???, not a really good opinion. Well it might be a good one. I just hope it is right, er ah, correct is the proper word, I hope, maybe....Back in my hole as I think we can stick a fork in this thread...:confused::D:);)

This is an interesting thread. From it I gather that Crystal will soon become all inclusive as to beverages, offer somewhat more flexible dining, and are offering fares well below Regent's. Am I wrong on any of this?

By way of further question, what is Crystal's situation as to formal nights? (I am fine with them, but my wife hates them.)

I ask these things because we used to be very regular Regent cruisers, until the poor health of my elderly parents kept us home, starting in about '07. Now, my parents have both passed away. As we are building a new house in Durango, CO, things will be financially too tight for a cruise until our present house sells. But when it sells, it will be "all clear" for us to start cruising again. But now (darn it) I now find that Regent's fares are MUCH higher than just a few years ago. So if Crystal is really significantly less, and If I am correct in my understanding about it's near future changes, we'd like to try it as soon as our move is totally finalized.

This is an interesting thread. From it I gather that Crystal will soon become all inclusive as to beverages, offer somewhat more flexible dining, and are offering fares well below Regent's. Am I wrong on any of this?

By way of further question, what is Crystal's situation as to formal nights? (I am fine with them, but my wife hates them.)

Here is a link to the Crystal Cruises Dress Code section http://www.crystalcruiseline.com/dresscode/ .

This is the first I've read about the possibility of Crystal's fares being lower than Regent. Most cruisers would like to know if this is something Crystal has stated in their literature or Press Releases:confused:

I ask these things because we used to be very regular Regent cruisers, until the poor health of my elderly parents kept us home, starting in about '07. Now, my parents have both passed away. As we are building a new house in Durango, CO, things will be financially too tight for a cruise until our present house sells. But when it sells, it will be "all clear" for us to start cruising again. But now (darn it) I now find that Regent's fares are MUCH higher than just a few years ago. So if Crystal is really significantly less, and If I am correct in my understanding about it's near future changes, we'd like to try it as soon as our move is totally finalized.

Dolebludger, you are correct. Next Spring Crystal will be including alcohol, standard gratuities and specialty restaurant recommended charges in the cruise fare so these will not longer be extras.

Crystal has casual, informal and formal nights on each voyage. On average a 12 night cruise will have two or three formal nights.

In terms of pricing you would need to look at a specific itinerary and then try to compare the prices between both lines.

Crystal has some very nice promotions in place for 2012 voyages but again you'll need to look at the particulars.

Keith

Richard, if you like Crossings (and dancing) take a look at the per diems of the two crossings mentioned in the press release from Crystal below. We liked the per diem for

the March crossing so much we booked our first Crystal cruise.

LOS ANGELES, October 4, 2011 – With classic dance moves currently taking center stage on “Dancing with the Stars,” Crystal Cruises has expanded its live Big Band and Ballroom Dance theme cruises for 2012. Guests will feel like stars themselves as they swing, cha-cha, and tango across the Atlantic accompanied by two old-school favorites: the Glenn Miller Orchestra on Crystal Symphony’s March 19th Miami-Madeira-Lisbon voyage, and the Artie Shaw Orchestra on Crystal Serenity’s Barcelona-Canary Is.-St. Maarten-Miami cruise on December 9.

Whether a dancer or just toe-tapping listener, guests will be surrounded by live 17-20-piece orchestras with vocalists, plus complimentary daily dance sessions, including:

· Professional group dance lessons for all levels of experience

· Advanced dance workshops for more proficient dancers

· Twice the usual number of professional dance instructors

· Extra Ambassador Hosts to lead women without dance partners

· Dancing both in the afternoon and late into the evening

Says Entertainment Vice President Bret Bullock: “Big Band cruises are among our most popular and highly rated Experiences of Discovery theme cruises. Travelers love the timeless elegance of Trans-Atlantic cruising, Crystal Cruises’ inviting onboard luxury experience, and the added pleasure of song and dance-filled days and nights.”

“Book Now” plus “Two-for-One” promotions amount to more than $5,000 per person in savings on each voyage. If booked by October 31, March’s 10-day, “all-inclusive” (Crystal’s first-ever) voyage starts at a remarkably-low $1,360/person, including complimentary fine wines and premium spirits throughout the ship, open bar service in all lounges, and pre-paid gratuities for housekeeping, bar and dining staff. December’s 12-day sailing is also all-inclusive, with starting fares of $2,620/person, if booked by October 31.

Crystal Cruise’s award-winning entertainment offerings include a range of venues and performances, from cabaret nightclub to piano bar saloon; acclaimed productions to headline entertainers; and sophisticated enrichment activities to in-room Blu-ray-viewing.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

It may make sense to wait until a few positive reviews appear on the Regent board (comparing the two lines after it becomes all-inclusive). So far I haven't read many posts from Regent customers with positive or equal reviews of Crystal. Secondly, it occurs to me that the "lower" prices could well be a 202 sq. ft. "stateroom with an "obstructed view". While we appreciate the input from Crystal customers, there could be just a tiny hint of prejudice when comparing the two lines.

If Crystal has a cancellation policy similiar to Silversea (no charge), it might be a good idea to book next year -- after the change -- and cancel if the reviews aren't as high as expected.

Have a feeling I may be flamed on my opinion. But it is what it is -- some of my perception comes from the information on the Crystal website (suite size, ship size, type of "open seating" are some examples).

Dolebludger, you are correct. Next Spring Crystal will be including alcohol, standard gratuities and specialty restaurant recommended charges in the cruise fare so these will not longer be extras.

Crystal has casual, informal and formal nights on each voyage. On average a 12 night cruise will have two or three formal nights.

In terms of pricing you would need to look at a specific itinerary and then try to compare the prices between both lines.

Crystal has some very nice promotions in place for 2012 voyages but again you'll need to look at the particulars.

Keith

Keith....

Will the specialty restaurants incur the same mandatory $7.00pp gratuity as before?

Thanks, all for the helpful responses. We too like the looks of the March crossing, but will have to wait to seriously consider it or any other cruise until we make our move to CO and our house in OK is sold. March may be pushing matters just a bit for us.

The advice to wait and see how others like what I'll call "the new Crystal" is well taken. Especially as our personal circumstances will probably require us to wait that period before booking anyway.

In whatever event, I'd just like all my old CC friends from years ago before circumstances stopped our cruising to know that "we'll be back" before long. And we'll have to do our homework in advance, as cruise lines tend to change in important ways -- especially over four years. Regent's fares, that now appear much higher, keep me from simply picking Regent by default. Nobody need "pass the hat" for us, as we would have difficulty justifying Regent's current fares we've if our portfolio rivaled that of Bill Gates.

TC, you have never stepped foot on a Crystal ship. The Serenity cabins/suites are larger than the Symphony. At least we can compare having sailed on Regent and Crystal and also other lines.

We think Regent is very over priced for its product and yes I still get the wasteful brochures from them. Not to mention Crystal e-mails everyone and on any changes which can happen to any line.

Regent needs to improve their customer service and address issues that have been mentioned on this board. Service and quality of food is everything.....not the size of your room, unless you plan on living in it for the entire cruise.

Edited by Suite Travels

TC, you have never stepped foot on a Crystal ship. The Serenity cabins/suites are larger than the Symphony. At least we can compare having sailed on Regent and Crystal and also other lines.

We think Regent is very over priced for its product and yes I still get the wasteful brochures from them. Not to mention Crystal e-mails everyone and on any changes which can happen to any line.

Regent needs to improve their customer service and address issues that have been mentioned on this board. Service and quality of food is everything.....not the size of your room, unless you plan on living in it for the entire cruise.

"Miles", when was your last Regent cruise? I may be be mistaken, but, I do not believe you have cruised since the change in ownership.

As mentioned above, much of my impression of Crystal comes from their website. The rest comes from Regent customers who have tried Crystal.

In terms of Regent "suites", they do, IMO, add to the wonderful Regent experience. There are few things more relaxing than lounging on our balcony on a sea day (without an obstructed view).

As your dear friend Mimito4 stated above "WHATEVERRRRRR!" Hmmmmm, prefer my own words. . . . whatever you enjoy you should sail on. I do not need to put down another cruise line in order to enjoy Regent. It is my cruise line of choice while Crystal is yours.

Peace!

Edited by Travelcat2

Miles...why bother!!!

xoxo

Nancy

Well, I haven't cruised Regent since it was Radisson, and I have never set foot on a Crystal ship. The reason for the latter statement is I always felt that Crystal's fares were too high compared with Regent's (of a few years ago) and Silverseas', considering Crystal non-inclusiveness and fixed time and seating dining. Now, I am wondering if the tables may be turning.

Yet, we have cruised enough to know that we require at least an outside room of at least 250 sq. ft. for an enjoyable cruise. I'm sure everybody has his own standards. Wouldn't want any cruise with a smaller room/suite and/or an obstructed view, so will need to check the ships' deck plans carefully to ensure what appears to be a bargain really is one.

Just think how fortunate we should feel and how lucky we are that we are financially able to go on a Regent, Crystal, Seabourn or a Silver Seas cruise. Think of the less fortunate ones who don't even have a job. I am just happy that I can do it no matter on which ship I decide to travel. There is one for everyone.

Dolebludger: Obviously agree. However, as stated by another poster, we are fortunate to be able to sail on any luxury line. Having said that, it is up to us as to how we will spend those $$$$$$. Like you, we make a deliberate decision to sail on Regent (and Silversea!) We also consider Seabourn. . . . but find the airfare adds too much to the bottom line. We still hope that Seabourn will become competitive with Regent (penthouse and business class equivalent). Crystal seems to win polls but isn't doing as well in terms of filling their ships. We sincerely wish them well. . . . but, as of today, they simply are not in the running for our cruising dollars.