Question regarding Rum runners... Still worth it?

We are cruising in january and this will be our first RCI cruise. From what i have been reading, they definitely seem to be one of the stricter cruise lines when it comes to achohol, amirite?

Are people still using RR?

Are they getting away with it?

Basically, have you or anyone you know gotten caught in RCI using RR recently? If you have any other suggestions on getting alch onboard, I'm open to all suggestions... TIA, cheers

:D;):D

Edited by Uncle jackD

• 3 weeks later...
We are cruising in january and this will be our first RCI cruise. From what i have been reading, they definitely seem to be one of the stricter cruise lines when it comes to achohol, amirite?

Are people still using RR? - oh yes

Are they getting away with it? - yes again

Basically, have you or anyone you know gotten caught in RCI using RR recently? If you have any other suggestions on getting alch onboard, I'm open to all suggestions... TIA, cheers - never been caught nor known anyone who had been caught

:D;):D

Use rum runner flasks (run the three words together and add dot com) which are refillable plastic bags and put them in your checked luggage preferably in the middle of the suitcase with clothes surrounding them. I have done it on every cruise successfully. The last several cruises I have put a pint RR in the front pocket of my cargo shorts and worn a long hemmed shirt, walked through the metal detector without any problems.

Not worth the cost of the RR.

The Rum Runner Cruise kit, which includes (3) 32 oz, and (3) 8 oz flasks costs $22.

Let's say you purchase (2) decent 5th's of liquor at $18 ea. Which will almost fill (2) 32 oz Rum Runners.

Total cost $58. Figuring 1.5 oz per drink you can make about 30 or so decent drinks. Cost per drink $1.93. The cost will go down each time you use them to sneak liquor on board. I think they are worth it.

Edited by Damon B

People are using them. Some are getting away with it. Some people are getting caught with them. About 1,000 posts in other threads if you want more details and moral arguements but that's about the gist of it.

I had 2 rum runners--wrapped ziploc & socks around them, tucked them into shoes.

I also had a bladder of wine from a box of wine. Put in giant ziploc, too, wrapped clothes around it, good to go.

Wine is $10/glass--that is what I paid for the entire box! I do order one glass of wine the first day & keep the glass in our room (in a cupboard so steward doesn't clear it)...enjoyed wine when in room getting ready & such.

Funny, our liquor bill didn't seem any less!:eek:

It really isn't anything to worry about...if they find it, they will take it (and probably have cocktails on you that night!) My DB tried to take 2 huge liquor bottles thru security in his carry on (idiot); they just pulled them out & tossed them. Doesn't affect you getting on board--so why isn't it worth it?:confused:

This doesn't pertain to rum runners but last year on our Voyager cruise in the Med we carried back a bottle of lemoncello in Naples and a bottle of wine in Florence in my wife's backpack. We expected to get stopped with the x-ray but both times the bag ran through without them stopping us. She has a PacSafe backpack that has wire mesh woven throught the outside to prevent a slash and run, I wonder if that made a difference as at the couple in front of us in Naples was stopped. :confused:

A little off topic but on our Mariner Med cruise they seemed to be much more vigilant on detecting smuggling on initial embarkation.

Returning to the ship on port days ,they were quite lax. Don't ask me how I know.:);)

On our last Princess cruise I put a bottle of wine and a bottle of Johnny Walker Black in our checked bags. No problems. Brought most of the JW back. I thought it was a hassle, added weight and took up room. They did make some fine margaritas in the game room bar though.

On our last Princess cruise I put a bottle of wine and a bottle of Johnny Walker Black in our checked bags. No problems. Brought most of the JW back. I thought it was a hassle, added weight and took up room. They did make some fine margaritas in the game room bar though.

Really, you brought back most of a bottle of Johnny Walker Black, back, and made Margaritas from it? That sounds awfully disgusting. I think you are making this up.

Princess is MUCH more lax about bringing wine & such on board...

RCCL is pretty strict.

I'm really happy to hear this. We are planning a Princess cruise in 2013, and without our nightly happy hour we get on RCCL, I want to take some wine and rum with me. I think splits of champagne and a small bottle of rum to go with hubby's Diet Coke he will take! :D

• 2 months later...
I'm really happy to hear this. We are planning a Princess cruise in 2013, and without our nightly happy hour we get on RCCL, I want to take some wine and rum with me. I think splits of champagne and a small bottle of rum to go with hubby's Diet Coke he will take! :D

Took them on NCL back in Sept, had no problems. I love them and find them very much worth the money! :D

I had 2 rum runners--wrapped ziploc & socks around them, tucked them into shoes.

I also had a bladder of wine from a box of wine. Put in giant ziploc, too, wrapped clothes around it, good to go.

Wine is $10/glass--that is what I paid for the entire box! I do order one glass of wine the first day & keep the glass in our room (in a cupboard so steward doesn't clear it)...enjoyed wine when in room getting ready & such.

Funny, our liquor bill didn't seem any less!:eek:

It really isn't anything to worry about...if they find it, they will take it (and probably have cocktails on you that night!) My DB tried to take 2 huge liquor bottles thru security in his carry on (idiot); they just pulled them out & tossed them. Doesn't affect you getting on board--so why isn't it worth it?:confused:

For the bladder of wine that you put in your suitcase, did you then keep it in the room fridge? I am thinking of doing the same thing. So glad I came across your post.

I have used RR on 3 cruises with no difficulties. I keep looking on these boards for cases of people being caught with them but have yet to find one.

We first heard about them at a CC meet and greet and many CC'ers were discussing how many they got on and how they placed them in luggage.

& we do not use the brand name rum runners, just similar large plastic flasks bought at the local beverage store. They are MUCH cheaper.

My husband has used them for years. This last summer he was called to the 'naughty room'.We were sure he got caught but they just asked him to take out the bottle of wine from his suitcase & said nothing about the 2 flasks which he left in !