Pancakes at Breakfast......

sail7seas

My hands down favorite. Heaton's Guest House in Dingle, Ireland.

Chris

Heaton's has incredible breakfasts... In May, I went with the oatmeal with drambuie and brown sugar prepared at the table with a great flourish.

On HAL, I like the European-style muesli with extra fruit added. Tastes just like the muesli they used to make on Royal Viking Line.

Also Chris

We were driving from Atlantic City, NJ to Philadelphia, PA. Hit a detour which took us through a little town in PA. Don't know the name of it. Got stuck in a traffic jam, decided to get breakfast until the gridlock lessened. There was a little coffee shop/diner with a counter and a few tables. Sat at the counter. Ordered pancakes. They overflowed the plate and soaked up the syrup. Superb! (We've looked at maps trying to figure out the name of the town so that we could return for the pancakes.)

I don't know the name of that town as we live in western PA.

Years ago we driving to Arizona and one morning we stopped in Silver Dollar City, Missouri -- their pancakes also covered a dinner size plate -- 5 of them -- all for for about $2!!

I haven't heard any great rants about the waffles. My wife could't avoid the Waffle Bar on Norwegian Sun. Best waffles ever. No such thing on HAL ships, eh?

I much prefer waffles to pancakes, and HAL has given me some good ones. There are some ships which have the waffle iron right there in front of you in the Lido, and the waffle is made to order. Other ships have an iron that makes four smaller waffles at a time, and you could place your order while the leftovers have been sitting a while.

Sometimes it's a matter of timing how good the waffle is.

And I agree about real maple syrup. That imitation fake stuff should be against the law.

I love the egg white omelete with sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach and once in a while will have a bit of goat cheese on it. Delicious.

Not being as slim as I used to be and sailing as often as we do, the treats really have to be wonderful or I resent the waste of calories and fat.

Thought I'd do some 'consensus' research prior to our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. :D I know I am going to have a few treats and I want them to be outstanding. ;)

S7S-My personal suggestion is that you say your "treats" for a couple of special meals at Tamarind. The other things you can have on any other HAL ship and I think Tamarind is really special. Just my suggestion, most of the time I am in the minority in my opinions though.... ;) :D

P.S. That picture just made me drool.....only 5 days now folks!!!!! :D :D

Oh my yes, Sher.....

You are VERY right and I agree about saving treats for dinner in Tamarind. Actually, most of what I like best at Tamarind is reasonably healthy and low fat, :o with a few exceptions. I love the Jewels of the Sea which is healthful and I forget the fish main course but I have it every time. I'm not big on dumplings so I happily skip them.

I have already pre-booked us two reservations for Tamarind. :)

Thanks so much for reminding us, just in case no one thought of it. :)

We were driving from Atlantic City, NJ to Philadelphia, PA. Hit a detour which took us through a little town in PA. Don't know the name of it. Got stuck in a traffic jam, decided to get breakfast until the gridlock lessened. There was a little coffee shop/diner with a counter and a few tables. Sat at the counter. Ordered pancakes. They overflowed the plate and soaked up the syrup. Superb! (We've looked at maps trying to figure out the name of the town so that we could return for the pancakes.)

are you sure that you were in PA and not in NJ? Can't think of any detours that would land you in PA. Once you leave NJ the bridges leave you in south phila or center city. Unless you took a major many many mile detour?

I've found the pancakes to be hit-or-miss. Sometimes they're wonderful, but on other occasions, I find them very dry. Like you, I've tried to eliminate things like this from my diet, and only indulge on occasion while on the ship. When they're not very good, it's really a disappointment to waste the calories on them. But sometimes they're great.

However, I have to say that my absolute favorites are the waffles! And you can load up on fruit for toppings! ;)

I'll skip the pancakes, just a lot of air. Waffles are strong enough to spread cold butter on. Many of you like pure maple syrup, but it's very hard to find here and the imitation is BAD.

Do you go on a cruise to enjoy yourself, or just to say you went? If it's to enjoy yorself for a few days DO IT. Hardly anything is bad for you if you don't have too much.

Are syrups other than maple syrup available? I don't recall seeing any, but perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention. If only maple syrup is available, I'd like to see HAL offer us at least a couple of other choices.

Oh yes, melted butter should be served with waffles. I hate trying to smear cold butter on a waffle. If the waffle is hot, you just wind up tearing it up. And if the waffle is cold, most of the butter winds up in just a few of the "dimples."

Are syrups other than maple syrup available? I don't recall seeing any, but perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention. If only maple syrup is available, I'd like to see HAL offer us at least a couple of other choices.

Oh yes, melted butter should be served with waffles. I hate trying to smear cold butter on a waffle. If the waffle is hot, you just wind up tearing it up. And if the waffle is cold, most of the butter winds up in just a few of the "dimples."

Being from New England, home of Vermont maple syrup, I thought that was all people put on pancakes. :D Actually, I think I've 'heard of' people using blueberry/raspberry syrups though I've never actually seen it.

Do people use honey on pancakes? Seriously, I really don't know?

:) I always used to love a good pancake or two at breakfast but for at least the last ten or more years, they became a no-no in my diet. We sit in Pinnacle (or occassionally Lido) at breakfast and I see those delicious looking pancakes and I get oh so tempted but so far have resisted.

How good are they? :D Worth the calories? I always was stingy with the syrup so I don't over do that but whaddyathink? Should I try a pancake or two on next cruise?

What is your idea of the perfect HAL breakfast and how well do you think they make it?

Hasn't been a fun thread here for a bit so thought we could enjoy a little fluffiness...... (groan, that the fluffy in whatever way you wish. ;) :rolleyes::eek:

I like them but I take them without syrup. I don't like sugar free and I can't have the regular.

:) I always used to love a good pancake or two at breakfast but for at least the last ten or more years, they became a no-no in my diet. We sit in Pinnacle (or occassionally Lido) at breakfast and I see those delicious looking pancakes and I get oh so tempted but so far have resisted.

How good are they? :D Worth the calories? I always was stingy with the syrup so I don't over do that but whaddyathink? Should I try a pancake or two on next cruise?

What is your idea of the perfect HAL breakfast and how well do you think they make it?

Hasn't been a fun thread here for a bit so thought we could enjoy a little fluffiness...... (groan, that the fluffy in whatever way you wish. ;) :rolleyes::eek:

Hi S7S -

1. Time IS running out - for goodness sake - eat pancakes!!

2. Order of Bearnaise sauce on the side - great over home fries!

"What is your idea of the perfect HAL breakfast and how well do you think they make it?"

A freshly made omelet always well made and topped with a smile from the chef. The Best!

We cruise with many different cruise lines (12 to date) but think HAs breakfast buffet is the best in the business (especially on the smaller Prinsendam). Why? Because you can get just about everything made-to-order. When we order Eggs Benedict, Pancakes, waffles, eggs over easy, etc. it is always made right in front of our eyes and does not sit on a steam table. We have been on RCI when they would have a large tray of eggs over easy all made in advance. Many other cruise lines make lots of pancakes and keep them hot on a steam table (or under a heat lamp). HA does have the usual buffet scrambled eggs but we avoid those like the plague. If we do want scrambled eggs we will nicely ask the omelet station to make us fresh scrambled eggs from real eggs (many cruise lines use instant (or powdered) eggs for their scrambled eggs.

Hank

I have never eaten the pancakes but everything else is good, so I have no doubt the pancakes are, too. But, never order a biscuit. I did, on my first cruise and I got a cracker. Not exactly what I wanted with my eggs.

Archived