LAFFNVEGAS Says Aloha LIVE from the MS Oosterdam

LAFFNVEGAS

I've been thinking about all the incoming passengers and what a problem that could be for them. You mentioned "700+" passengers getting a place to stay until Sunday's boarding. With close to 2,000 passengers on the ship are these just the people who booked air etc. from HAL? I know there would be those who stay on the ship from the Hawaii tour but just curious who HAL helps. Thanks.

They are helping all the passengers who are responding to the notifications they have received. Any passenger who is arriving prior to Sunday is getting assistance. There are a couple of threads where this is being discussed with fevour :)

As of last Wednesday night, 700+ guests had been contacted and booked into San Diego hotels for Saturday night. Another 58 arrive today, and their hotel reservation have been extended. The HAL Air/Sea people have been trying to contact all 1950 guests this week. Many were able to change their plans and arrive on Sunday. Others who arrive without any knowledge of the situation will be met at the airport or the pier and assisted.

David

Certainly seems that way to me, and this wasn't there fault at all.

I hate to read people criticizing them...when all they were doing was the "right thing"...aid and assist passengers in need. And it seems to me that the pax losing one day of a cruise are more than well compensated for that loss with a 25% discount on a future cruise.

I hate to read people criticizing them...when all they were doing was the "right thing"...aid and assist passengers in need. And it seems to me that the pax losing one day of a cruise are more than well compensated for that loss with a 25% discount on a future cruise.

Medical emergencies happen, i dont think its right to criticize someone because they had a heart attack.....like they knew it was going to happen but booked a cruise anyway. I know its a pain to have travel plans affected but it could be worse. Also what if they had to deviate off course to lend aid to a ship in distress? Would those complaining be of the mind that the other ship is "on their own"..... Remember anything can happen...ask those on Carnival Splendor, our first time on Oosterdam our cruise got cut short a day due to a pod failure, as John said earlier, ship happens

Medical emergencies happen, i dont think its right to criticize someone because they had a heart attack.....like they knew it was going to happen but booked a cruise anyway. I know its a pain to have travel plans affected but it could be worse. Also what if they had to deviate off course to lend aid to a ship in distress? Would those complaining be of the mind that the other ship is "on their own"..... Remember anything can happen...ask those on Carnival Splendor, our first time on Oosterdam our cruise got cut short a day due to a pod failure, as John said earlier, ship happens

I totally agree...it's disturbing to read people criticizing HAL because it happens to affect their plans adversely...guess that's being part of what is called the "me society."

I totally agree...it's disturbing to read people criticizing HAL because it happens to affect their plans adversely...guess that's being part of what is called the "me society."

AMEN! HAL did the right thing in turning back and getting those passengers airlifted to a Hospital in HILO. Those who are upset need to stop navel gazing. Last year on the Eurodam's first Caribbean run, they were called on to save people from a light boat in trouble and they went and did what was right. Bouy the criticism because we were about three hours late in docking. But the Captain made the right choice and it was the navel gazers that were wrong.

The only reason I am on the HAL board is to read the thread by my friend Lisa on her Hawaiian cruise. Some people have totally stuffed the whole thread with pages inane comments. Please just give it a miss so we can learn what else Lisa has to tell us. Instead of having to scroll through a load of bloody crap! I am surprised she hasn't totally given up!

Thanks

Friday November 4, 2011

Good Evening from the MS Oosterdam where we are less than 500 miles off the West Coast. This was to have been our last night but as you all know our cruise was extended.

I started the morning at 9:15 with a Hot Stone massage and a Facial then came back to the cabin and read for a while about Noon Tom and I headed to the Lido for a light lunch, then came back to the cabin where I read and actually took a nap. Tonight was our last Formal Night and it was a very special one since a few days ago we received and Invitation to Dine with the Captain for this evening. What a delightful evening it was. This was our first time out of 25 HAL cruises that we were invited to dine with the Captain. We met in the Explorer's lounge at 7pm for pre-dinner cocktails. There were 4 couples plus Maybelle the Captain's wife and the Captain. I was seated next to Captain Baiijens. It was a lovely dinner with intersting conversation.

We finished dinner shortly before 10pm which gave Tom and I enough time to head to the other end of the ship so we could see Joel's last show of the evening that he does that is Joel Mason and Friends. The show was as fantastic as I expected it to be. Definitely lots of laughes. For those that asked how long Joel will be on the Oosterdam, he will be on for 2 weeks starting Nov. 26th then he will come back home to Las Vegas and unfortunately will not be on the Oosterdam for New Years. He more than likely will be staying in Las Vegas performing thru Spring. But I will keep the HAL board posted to when he might be retruning to a HAL ship.

I am actually glad I am not having to pack this evening which is what I should have been doing instead I will be doing that tomorrow night and will be quite sad to see this cruise end. Although I know a Son and some pets that really want us back home.

Tomorrow I will probably go to the Thermal Suite one last time, then at Noon is the Suite Lunch in the Crow's Nest. We are looking forward to this since we have not been to one in a long while since they no longer do them on 7 day voyages. Then at 1:30 is the Sea Trial's of Cruisnetta's Ship which I want to see.

Then tomorrow evening we will be dining in the Pinnacle with Sher and Bob and Joel and Bonnie so it should be an interesting evening for our last night on board. Then Matilda is doing a late show tomorrow night when we are in Ensenada so we do not want to miss that.

Today has been a very FULL day so I think I will sign off.

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Oosterdam.

Friday November 4, 2011

Good Evening from the MS Oosterdam where we are less than 500 miles off the West Coast. This was to have been our last night but as you all know our cruise was extended.

I started the morning at 9:15 with a Hot Stone massage and a Facial then came back to the cabin and read for a while about Noon Tom and I headed to the Lido for a light lunch, then came back to the cabin where I read and actually took a nap. Tonight was our last Formal Night and it was a very special one since a few days ago we received and Invitation to Dine with the Captain for this evening. What a delightful evening it was. This was our first time out of 25 HAL cruises that we were invited to dine with the Captain. We met in the Explorer's lounge at 7pm for pre-dinner cocktails. There were 4 couples plus Maybelle the Captain's wife and the Captain. I was seated next to Captain Baiijens. It was a lovely dinner with intersting conversation.

We finished dinner shortly before 10pm which gave Tom and I enough time to head to the other end of the ship so we could see Joel's last show of the evening that he does that is Joel Mason and Friends. The show was as fantastic as I expected it to be. Definitely lots of laughes. For those that asked how long Joel will be on the Oosterdam, he will be on for 2 weeks starting Nov. 26th then he will come back home to Las Vegas and unfortunately will not be on the Oosterdam for New Years. He more than likely will be staying in Las Vegas performing thru Spring. But I will keep the HAL board posted to when he might be retruning to a HAL ship.

I am actually glad I am not having to pack this evening which is what I should have been doing instead I will be doing that tomorrow night and will be quite sad to see this cruise end. Although I know a Son and some pets that really want us back home.

Tomorrow I will probably go to the Thermal Suite one last time, then at Noon is the Suite Lunch in the Crow's Nest. We are looking forward to this since we have not been to one in a long while since they no longer do them on 7 day voyages. Then at 1:30 is the Sea Trial's of Cruisnetta's Ship which I want to see.

Then tomorrow evening we will be dining in the Pinnacle with Sher and Bob and Joel and Bonnie so it should be an interesting evening for our last night on board. Then Matilda is doing a late show tomorrow night when we are in Ensenada so we do not want to miss that.

Today has been a very FULL day so I think I will sign off.

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Oosterdam.

I was wondering how you liked Patrick Murray and Matilda. Since you don't want to miss Matilda tonight, I am sure you enjoyed it . No Patrick and there would be no Matilda.

Thanks for the update Lisa.:) Have fun on your last day. It is freezing along the coast today. You may have sprinkles tomorrow.

We are very excited to hear that Joel will be on our sailing date. This will be our third cruise to see his show.:)

We will talk to you next week.

Mike and Pat

I also have loved reading your posts, Lisa. I, too, will be on the 11/12 sailing and am wondering if anyone might know what they are expecting weather wise on this sailing.

Thanks again, Lisa...very nice "meeting" you!

Lisa,

I have really enjoyed your daily postings and am sure I'll read them over and over before our Feb. cruise. So sorry to hear your friend Joel Mason won't be on the Odam in Feb. Was kind of looking forward to seeing him.

Hope you write a review when you return and give us "future" Hawaii cruisers any words of wisdom.

Happy landing in the morning. Mahalo for all your hard work.

I also have loved reading your posts, Lisa. I, too, will be on the 11/12 sailing and am wondering if anyone might know what they are expecting weather wise on this sailing.

Thanks again, Lisa...very nice "meeting" you!

Is this to Hawaii?

Archived