LAFFNVEGAS Says Aloha LIVE from the MS Oosterdam

LAFFNVEGAS

And I find it amazing that anybody is getting their panties in a major bind over this. Yes, I'm dissapointed that I'm missing 1/7 of my long-awaited cruise, but as Cooper said, ship happens .

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE THEM DO INSTEAD ?

Good Evening from the MS Oosterdam, by the map we have yet to make it to where we were last night when we turned around so we will definitely be hauling it to get back on time JMHO.

Nice Officer's Party this evening and I told all of them they are doing a fantastic job and that I applaud them. Trust me despite how everyone or at least most know that HAL did the right thin there are still many complaining.

Joel Mason's show was great this evening and the energy in the show room was great which was really needed.

Jill, thanks for the info, I know I want to get changed to flight 1881 but the problem is SW has blocked being able to change. Everyone we have spoke to that has SW has had to call in to make the change and it will not allow us to make the change on line so there for it will cost a lot more because it is not web only. I do have Travel insurance but with Travel insurance you have to pre pay it, make the change then send in for reimbursement from your Travel Insurance. The problem for many that I am hearing is most traval insurance only covers the cost of changes any where from $250PP up to $500 PP but many we have heard that their change is cost them $2000 more. We are lucky our change will only be a total of $270 or at least that is what it appears right now and that should be covered.

We have heard that all of the patients are all in stable condition in the Hilo Hospital and they will keep us up dated on their condition.

I am actually happy that we get to have an additional day on the Oosterdam and I get to have one more day in the spa ;) I do feel bad for those missing the day but as it has been said Ship Happens. Out of 32 cruises this is the first occurance for us for anything like this.

I did text our son and and we will let him know our flight info when we get it.

Oh we did go see the Marriage Game after Joel's show tonight and it was hilarious.

Well think I will sign off so I can go back to the cabin to attempt to call out to SW Airlines.

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Oosterdam.

Great questions to pose to HAL Ship Services in the morning

800-541-1576

Ship Services handles gift orders and dietary requests.

Would recommend you call Reservations and ask to speak with a Reservations "Lead" on this matter.

Emails about the situation have been distributed internally and sent to all guests (or their travel agents if they booked through one)

Loving the review. I think when you cruise on a ship that caters to an older demographic that you have to expect some sort of emergencies health wise. It just goes with the territory.

Was it Carnival's demographic that caused the medical evac of a woman who gave birth onboard last year ?

Hi Lisa,

Glad you saw my post on here, please ignore the duplicate on your Facebook page.

If you don't get any further help from Southwest, let me know via whichever method works for you internet/phone wise. I can always book two seats on flight 1881 for you (I'd need your DOB and address, etc.) and we could just square things up sometime in the future...no biggie at all. I would hope that Southwest would be more helpful. Right now, the difference in online booking and lowest fare over the phone is only $34/person, and with the "no change fee" you'd be paying $68 total more a person plus your fare difference (which may be a little high because I'm sure you booked on a DING, as we always used to do). I'll check back here and on Facebook throughout the day. :) Glad to hear that the patients are all in stable condition.

Jill

Good grief you guys~~~it's not the end of the world. :)

It has happened to us twice on 2 Hawaii cruises. It happens.

I think Lisa has given us a good "live from" thread about the cruise, the ship and and the evac's. That is what this thread is about--not snarky remarks.

Let's let her finish the review. Newbies will appreciate what she has to say. :)

Pat

Then it apparently happens a lot. I have learned it's not a good idea to book the next cruise after a Hawaii or other transoceanic trip unless I want to risk losing a day. That unfortunately won't help me for my Nov 26 cruise, so I will be earnestly praying for the good health of all the passengers on the Nov 14 Hawaii R/T.

Wow - was I only off the boards for a day while I was packing?

Oh Lisa - I do hope that those passengers are all ok.

On the bright side, you and Tom get a longer cruise.

Hopefully they are all ok - it's no fun to be left in hospital at a port.

For those worried about it happening on their cruise - before, after or during - just be grateful and thank God it isn't you

Loving the review. I think when you cruise on a ship that caters to an older demographic that you have to expect some sort of emergencies health wise. It just goes with the territory.

Young people also become ill and they have accidents.

It's awful when anyone of whatever age becomes ill while traveling and away from their family, familiar doctors, hospital etc

We can only wish them all a speedy recovery and be grateful HAL took such good care of them.

IMO

Did they allow spouses or traveling companions to be evacuated along with the ill passengers? Sure hope so.

Usually, No. Spouse/traveling partner usually is not permitted to evacuate with the patient.

We were on (I think it was Veendam) sailing from NYC repositioning to Caribbean and going down the coast, a gentleman had a severe heart attack. He was a retired Army Colonel traveling with his wife. It's a long story how it happened but his wife ultimately was seated at our dining table. DH and I were seated at a table for four set for the two of us and we happily welcomed her to join us.

She told us about his evacuation off the coast of Virginia and the inability of her to accompany him. Of course, she was distraught but it was a weight and safety issue and she could not leave the ship until our first port which was three days hence from when he was taken off. HAL did every conceivable thing to take care of her including constant telephone access to those treating him and whatever/whenever contact she wished with family or friends. They saw to it her bags were packed for her, and arranged flight from our first port (I think it was St. Thomas) to get her to him as soon as they could.

We found her to be one of the most delightful charming people we have ever met in all our cruising and her grace in such conditions was a testament to the experience she garnered as an Senior Army Officer's wife.

Sparing details, we remained in touch with her and she contacted us when she reached her DH and he was still alive though sadly passed two days after her arrival.

Long answer to a short question..... usually only the patient is lifted off.

Good grief you guys~~~it's not the end of the world. :)

I think Lisa has given us a good "live from" thread about the cruise, the ship and and the evac's. That is what this thread is about--not snarky remarks.

Let's let her finish the review. Newbies will appreciate what she has to say. :)

Pat

Very well said Pat. Thank you.

Can anyone explain the Thermal Suite that Lisa refers to all the time? I can't find anything about it on the HAL web page. Thank you.

We have watched a few evacuations from cruise ships, I am trying to remember if we ever cruised without one. For a time it used to bother me to know people were dying and becoming critically ill on our cruises, but then we spoke to a nurse on board and she explained it to us this way. For many passengers the most exciting thing they can do is cruise, and they want to vacation as long as they can and many don't mind the fact that they may leave this earth on a ship surrounded by family. For many it is living life to the fullest.

Lisa thanks for including your insurance information, we haven't had to use our insurance before and it is good to know how it works in reality.

We have watched a few evacuations from cruise ships, I am trying to remember if we ever cruised without one. For a time it used to bother me to know people were dying and becoming critically ill on our cruises, but then we spoke to a nurse on board and she explained it to us this way. For many passengers the most exciting thing they can do is cruise, and they want to vacation as long as they can and many don't mind the fact that they may leave this earth on a ship surrounded by family. For many it is living life to the fullest.

That's great, but when it impacts the lives of thousands of others who have to change flights, call work or petsitters or grandparents sitting the kids and make new arrangements, and potentially much worse, not to mention impacting the lives of almost a couple thousand who are now missing out on 1/7 of their cruise vacation and will have to be bussed around Southern California with their luggage to various hotels, then IMO their attitude is a bit selfish.

That's great, but when it impacts the lives of thousands of others who have to change flights, call work or petsitters or grandparents sitting the kids and make new arrangements, and potentially much worse, not to mention impacting the lives of almost a couple thousand who are now missing out on 1/7 of their cruise vacation and will have to be bussed around Southern California with their luggage to various hotels, then IMO their attitude is a bit selfish.

I honestly don't think anyone goes on a cruise planning to die and therefore inconvenience everyone. None of us can know our day and time nor what inconvenience we might cause.

Unbelievable statement!

Well, I would be happy to be sailing on a cruise with you! I would KNOW that if you, or any of your loved ones onboard, should happen to have an accident or become seriously ill...that MY cruise would go on as planned, since YOU would insist on not inconveniencing any of us "innocent people" and would not want the ship to get you to the nearest hospital....and you would be more than happy to just stay down in the medical center until a convenient time for you to disembark the ship and get medical attention as our cruise proceeded as scheduled

Or maybe just making a quick trip to the morgue until it was time to disembark :D

You've got to be kidding! You would have put the three in a lifeboat and set them adrift?

David

P.S. Just exactly which part of the cruise are people "missing out" on? The ship is still going to the same two ports PV and Cabo.

You've got to be kidding! You would have put the three in a lifeboat and set them adrift?

David

P.S. Just exactly which part of the cruise are people "missing out" on? The ship is still going to the same two ports PV and Cabo.

I think I am a bit slow tonight...but who is this post in response to? Cherie

Archived