LAFFNVEGAS Says Aloha LIVE from the MS Oosterdam

LAFFNVEGAS

I would still prefer to wait and see what kind of explanation is given before rushing to judgement.

If you board a ship looking for trouble, I am willing to bet you will find it ! That is my opinion ;)

I think that is a valid suggestion--but we are taking our first Holland cruise because we figured the service would be great in every department.

\

bg

I guess IMOP the concept of service includes the whole ship--which includes the type of service you get from management to the low level personnel--to close the MDR on a sea day and create a mad house in the LIDO ( as was reported this week) is not in IMOP good service from the Hotel Department which includes dining. This is where my comment comes from--maybe the Hotel Director should have a penalty in their salary for the amount of people who adjust their service charge for bad service.

In my case I hate buffets and enjoy eating in the MDR so this would impact me---

BG

IMOP ? :confused:

what does it mean?

Main dining room closed on a sea day for lunch:(--is this what I have to look forward too on my first Holland cruise--- to me this is unacceptable--a good reason for me to lower the service fee when on board.:(

What was the reason it was closed???

BG

Just a question, if I may of you big green??

Do I understand that if the MDR is closed for a lunch you are going to punish all the crew that would have received a portion of your $11.50 USD per day?? The Cabin Stewards, the entire Dining Room Staff. the hard working laundry personel and all the others who benefit from that money?

I ask because that is what it sounds like to me:confused: And I just wish to make sure I hopefully am misunderstanding you???

I would not punish an entire group of people for what 1 person may have done or caused to be done for whatever rason. Just seems unjust to me.

Joanie

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas

IMOP ?

what does it mean?

jn my opinion

I tried that but didn't think the initials made any sense.

I've always seen it written 'JIMO' or 'IMO' or 'IMHO' (humble)

Thanks for explaining your use.

Just a question, if I may of you big green??

Do I understand that if the MDR is closed for a lunch you are going to punish all the crew that would have received a portion of your $11.50 USD per day?? The Cabin Stewards, the entire Dining Room Staff. the hard working laundry personel and all the others who benefit from that money?

I ask because that is what it sounds like to me:confused: And I just wish to make sure I hopefully am misunderstanding you???

I would not punish an entire group of people for what 1 person may have done or caused to be done for whatever rason. Just seems unjust to me.

Joanie

why don't you read my posts above before you judge--also on my cruise i will be paying $12.00 a day. By the way life is full of unjust things--bad service in one area may distract in ones overall cruise experience is that fair to then one who spent the dollars for the cruise???

BG

BG

I guess I understand the issue -- if the MDR is closed on a sea day -- it is a problem -- however I didn't see anyone saying they would change their service charge - we need to be a little calmer in our original responses -- the reason for a change could be due to a Mariner Luncheon -- or a problem in the galley -- don't assume.\

I guess I understand the issue -- if the MDR is closed on a sea day -- it is a problem -- however I didn't see anyone saying they would change their service charge - we need to be a little calmer in our original responses -- the reason for a change could be due to a Mariner Luncheon -- or a problem in the galley -- don't assume.\

IMO if it is the Mariner's luncheon it is an issue for non -mariners---nice way to welcome them to their first Holland cruise by closing the MDR at lunch -- and causing a mess in the LIDO. a definite reduction in overall selection of services during that lunch period.

BG

Wow, it never ceases to amaze me what people complain about on a vacation. BG if you are looking for impeccable service you may want to try one of the lines like Cunard, SilverSea, Oceania, or Seabourn. Those are the real premium lines. Holland America, while one of our favorites, is more towards the upper end of mass market.

Why does Lisa have to wade through all of this when she makes her live posts? Take it somewhere else please.

Mike

Thanks, you beat me to it. This thread is about Lisa's posting her experiences that are helpful to people like me that will be doing the same cruise.

I will watch the dailys and make other arrangements if the MDR will be closed on a sea day. Thanks for the heads-up Lisa. I will be waiting for your next post. Sorry about all of the internet problems.

Lisa, glad you're having a good cruise! Weird about the watered down shampoo...do you think somehow water got into the container from the shower...seems very strange that HAL would intentionally water it down....

Yay on "no more Master Chef Dinners"!!! :cool:

In our case the question would be "what was there to like?" I do not "shows" at dinner and napkin waving, etc. Plus, the food was not to my liking. From what I've read over the years we are not alone; however, there's a contingent who like it.

Monday October 24, 2011

Aloha and Good Evening from some where in the Pacific.

It has been our second of 4 sea days in a row. I love sea days yet to be truthful, frankly I do not do a darn thing. As a matter of fact I get a bit lazy and the day flies by quickly.

I started the day with a quick breakfast in the Lido with Tom before meeting Sher in the Thermal Suite. They offer something I have never seen before a Sausage Mac Muffin and a Bacon Egg and Cheese MacMuffin but with out the "Mac" Personally I think they could really call it a Sausage Dam Muffin and a Bacon Egg and Cheese Dam Muffin. Well I had one of the Bacon ones but I added extra cheese and a slice of turkey along with my grapefruit juice. Then headed to the Thermal Suite it was a bit busy but I am sure and the cruise progresses there will be less people. Funny thing while in the spas Sher and I are in the Hydro Therapy Pool and a lady says to Sher "Have we met before?" Well it ends up her and her husband were on the Nieuw Amsterdam the same cruise that Sher was on and I was too for March this past Spring. Her husband was with her and I recognized him from the Spa. After we were done with the Hydro Therapy Pool we went into the Thermal Suite which was full but just went and sat in a Sauna, when we got out all the chairs or at least most all of the chairs were empty so we were able to grab a heated lounger. It was agreat day to relax and start the day.

We did receive invitations this morning for the Mariner Lunch which is tomorrow at 11:00. Trust me this will be my last complaint about this but I still think that it is just plain wrong that for many of us we are caught in this middle ground of having received our 100 day medallions, then cruised many times with always getting invited to the "Pre" cocktail party then to suddenly be no bodies and no longer get invited because we do not have the 200 days to be a 4 star Mariner :( Tom and I are at 188 days starting this cruise and come Thursday with having a Suite we will be at HAL's 200 days but of course will not be recognised as 4 Star Mariners till the next cruise. Personally I think it is wrong that one for several cruises you are treated special then suddenly are not. Then the worst part is with our friends Sher and Bob, Sher has gone on two cruises where her husband did not go so she has just a a few more days and is a 4 Star Mariner, her husband is about right where we are and will receive his 4 Star after this cruise. He was not invited to the Pre Lunch Party but she was. Frankly that is actually a bit rude. Like I said I will not complain about this any more because our next cruise we will be 4 Star but I would like HAL to relook at this for the future. Especially in the case where one spouse is 4 star and the other is not. Both really should be invited. Of course tehn there are ships like the Nieuw Amsterdam where everyone with 100 plus all get invited. HAL really needs to have some kind of consistency.

Today was an absolutely beautiful warm day, it was a bit cloudy this morning but that soon burned off and we had lots of sun and warmth. After the spa I got back to the cabin at about 11:15, read for a while, then took a shower. About 1 we headed up to the Lido, of course we knew it would be busy but OMG it was packed. come to find out the Main Dining Room was not open for lunch today??? Main Dining Room not open on a Sea Day, to be that seemed strange so of course all 2000+ people were trying to eat in one place.

After lunch came back and called Sher and we were both ready to go walking, we we walked to promenade deck. It was a great day to walk. Her and I are going to attempt to do this every day. Afterwards I came back to the cabin to read some more sitting out on the verandah, then came in and took a nap. The only time a ever take a nap is on a ship.

Of course Tom and I woke up in time to freshen up for dinner, then afterwards went to see Elliot Maxx's show. We have seen her once or twice and he did seem to have a few new bits of new material we had not seem him do. He is really a very funny guy. Afterwards Sher and Bob headed back to their cabin and we went to the Queen's Lounge for a cocktail and listen to Vivienne and the HAL Cats.

Someone asked who the Travel Guide was and Yes it is Kainoa.

Well I think this is about enough writing for tonight,

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Oosterdam.

Lisa:

Kainoa is an EXCELLENT GUIDE. I found him to be outstanding.

Why are some people on this thread not fans of the Master Chef Dinners..?

What didn't people like...?

I do not know why some people do not like the MCD. I've read their comments and still do not understand. I Love them and enjoy them when I am able to attend:) I think they are so much fun to watch and be able to share in the exuberance of our wait staff as they get to let loose, if only for 10 minutes or so:)

OK, BACK to Lisa's Original Topic:)

Joanie

In regard to the pre-Mariner lunch cocktail party, I seem to recall that this varies ship by ship and the Captain and HM decide what levels areto be invited. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

It varies because of the size of the ship, and how many Mariners in each level are onboard. The goal is to recognize as many as possible, without sacrificing service and the comfort of the guests.

LOL..I remember when being invited to a special party onboard was always appreciated, and never expected.

The Hotel Manager is no where to be found. We ran into the Captain and he too could not locate him so we gave up.

Forgive him. Since it was the Oosterdam's first trip to Hawaii, there were unique guest related situtations that needed his attention.

Why does Lisa have to wade through all of this when she makes her live posts? Take it somewhere else please.

Mike

Well hello there, stranger.

A little birdie whispered in my ear that Lisa and Tom were live from the O and many old HAL Pals are along for the ride.

Let's make Tiny Bubble scat out of this detour and get back to Live from the O, with our hosts, Lisa and Tom.

Well hello there, stranger.

A little birdie whispered in my ear that Lisa and Tom were live from the O and many old HAL Pals are along for the ride.

Let's make Tiny Bubble scat out of this detour and get back to Live from the O, with our hosts, Lisa and Tom.

Hammy! It is so nice to talk to you again. I won't take up any more of Lisa's thread.

Lisa, we are excited to hear about your fun day.:)

Mike

Archived