LAFFNVEGAS Says Aloha LIVE from the MS Oosterdam

LAFFNVEGAS

Sunday October 23, 2011

Aloha and Good Evening from the MS Oosterdam.

Today has been a very full day. WOW these Sea days are really hard work.

Since I last left off, well I got ready and took a shower but something strange and not sure anyone has ever mentioned this but when we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March and the Westerdam in May I noticed that the shamppo was appeared to be watered down ever so slightly but today the shampoo in the tub/shower section was 75% water. So much so that it was practically clear and would not lather at all. I then looked at the shampoo in the shower section and it was a totally different color and much thicker consistancy more like the shampoo we are accoustom to. Now why would they water the shampoo down so badly??? especially in a Suite. While I am stating a few items that seem to be missing we also have not received any slippers and there is not a flower to be had in the suite. Nomally there is at least the clear fish bowl type of arrangement with the floating flowers. Now I admit the last couple of HAL cruises we have had some amazing beautiful arrangements but I also know these were gifts. But in a Suite when not receiving anything special there is the floating flowers and we have had slippers.

We went to the Pinnacle for Breakfast, what I thought was interesting they did not did not ask us our cabin number or name and just seated us but I didrealize that I had my lanyard on that held my key card and it was facing out where you could seed the card. We had a very nice breakfast and I enjoyed a cappuccino.

After breakfast we went back to our cabin to read for a while before our CC Meet and Greet. Today was a very over cast no sun day that was quite chilly outside. So to CC Grampy we may end up with what you had on cruise cruise.

The CC Meet and Greet was an over whelming success!!! I have to admit I do not think I have had this many Officers attend a CC Meet and Greet and I want to thank each and everyone of them for attending. Many thanks to Douglas, Jeroen and Maybelle for getting all the Officers there as well as all off the Roll Call CCer's that contributed so much. We even hung the Banner up signature side out so we could view all the signature and also sign the banner. I was so impressed with all the signatures. You figure I have not seen it since Feb 2009 when this new banner was brought on board. Oh so many familier names and people I have met. It brought a bit smile to my face to see what all was back there. The Meet and Greet started at 11 and I think we were there till right about 12:30 with a really big turn out. And yes Harry and Lois were there too.

After the Meet and Greet Tom and I went to the Lido of course it was still crowded but I had a few salad items and a slice ot pizza and some butterscotch sugar free pudding. Then headed back to the cabin where I proceeded to spend the afternnoon reading. Then Sher called about 2 and asked if we wanted to go to the Royal Dutch High Tea at 3pm. She has actually never attended and wanted to go. We went but I have to admit I miss the old days when they would read the story about the Royal Dutch High Tea. They no longer do that and it is really just another time to go eat. I had two strawberries and some tea so really did not get full for dinner this evening.

I did want to mention that while there are not nearly as many crew they we normally know but there have been a few ;) Of course they are normally from the Beverage Department. Right before we headed down to the Royal Dutch High Tea we met yet another who came to our cabin to check the mini bar. His name is Jay and we met him n the Eurodam in December 2008 when we were there for a B2B. He was a Bartender at the time now he is a Wine Steward in the evenings in the Main Dining Room. We spoke with him about some of the crew on that ship where they were and that we had already ran into some on the Westerdam in May. And message is Angie because I am guessing you may be reading this we spoke about you and Jay said Hi, he said he lives about 10 minutes from you.

We have Early Dinner which is a tad early but late is just too late. Tom and I looked quote nice if I do say so myself as well as Sher and Bob. The guys looked dashing in their Tuxes. There were a few Tuxes but mostly dark suits and several without jackets. This was the first of 4 Formal nights and the recommended by Chef Rudi was the Mussels, Potato Leek Soup and Lobster Thermidor and a small Filet so I took Chef Rudi's Recommendation ;) and topped it off with Tiramisu and coffee. Then Tom and I did a first, we actually skipped the Captain's Toast and Early Show to retire for the evening so I could write the report and just relax and read. Sher and Bob decided to do the same. Tom had hurt is knee at work almost 2 weeks ago and is still in a lot of pain and having trouble walking and as we all know there is always a lot of walking on the ship.

We got back to the cabin this evening before our cabin steward could even do turn down service but the HAL Explorer says that we turn back the clocks and hour this evening, or should i say at 3 am so we will gain an hour of sleep. Sher and I decided we would meet in the Thermal Suite at 9 am tomorrow morning to start the day off very relaxed.

While I have been writing this the interest connection has been going on and off so right now it is on so I think I may attempt to post this soooo....

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Oosterdam.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is now Monday morning and of course when I went to post this the last night internet was down and it appears to be down once again this morning but thought I would write just a bit. We gained an hour of sleep last night but it did not prevent us from sleeping in even though we went to bed so very early. It is now 8:15 ship time and I am meeting Sher at the Thermal Suite at 9 but thought I might go to the Lido and grab some fruit and something light.

Something tells me you may not get a lot of reports till we get to Hawaii but one big bit of news I wanted to tell you was..........No More mast Chef's Dinner :) HAL is working on something new but till they announce that they have removed the Master Chef's dinner from all sailings. I thought that was amazing good news. Can you tell I was not a fan of it.

OK I need to get ready to run up to the Lido then the spa, looks like I will have to post this later.

Signing off from the Beautiful an Elegant MS Oosterdam.

Hi Lisa - enjoying your posts thus far. Hope you continue to have smooth sailing! I'm not sure what's up with the slippers. They seem to be pretty hit or miss. We've only received them on one of our three cruises in the SA/SB cabins. When we asked, we were told they were "out." Strange about the shampoo too. I think I'll continue to bring my own.

Jill

Hi,

We will be on this cruise 12/10 and will be checking for your reports every day. Your feedback is much appreciated.

So the first formal night was Sunday. Do you know what the other 3 formal nights will be?

Thanks,

Hi Lisa and Tom, we love following along with you every day. It is the next best thing if we can't be there ourself. Please tell us what the "meat eater" has for dinner too.:) We like hearing you describe the menu and how you liked it.

I think the people before you decided to take some shampoo home with them and they filled the dispenser up with water so it would still look full.

Have fun.:D

Mike and Pat

Sunday October 23, 2011

Aloha and Good Evening from the MS Oosterdam.

Today has been a very full day. WOW these Sea days are really hard work.

Since I last left off, well I got ready and took a shower but something strange and not sure anyone has ever mentioned this but when we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March and the Westerdam in May I noticed that the shamppo was appeared to be watered down ever so slightly but today the shampoo in the tub/shower section was 75% water. So much so that it was practically clear and would not lather at all. I then looked at the shampoo in the shower section and it was a totally different color and much thicker consistancy more like the shampoo we are accoustom to. Now why would they water the shampoo down so badly??? especially in a Suite. While I am stating a few items that seem to be missing we also have not received any slippers and there is not a flower to be had in the suite. Nomally there is at least the clear fish bowl type of arrangement with the floating flowers. Now I admit the last couple of HAL cruises we have had some amazing beautiful arrangements but I also know these were gifts. But in a Suite when not receiving anything special there is the floating flowers and we have had slippers.

We went to the Pinnacle for Breakfast, what I thought was interesting they did not did not ask us our cabin number or name and just seated us but I didrealize that I had my lanyard on that held my key card and it was facing out where you could seed the card. We had a very nice breakfast and I enjoyed a cappuccino.

After breakfast we went back to our cabin to read for a while before our CC Meet and Greet. Today was a very over cast no sun day that was quite chilly outside. So to CC Grampy we may end up with what you had on cruise cruise.

The CC Meet and Greet was an over whelming success!!! I have to admit I do not think I have had this many Officers attend a CC Meet and Greet and I want to thank each and everyone of them for attending. Many thanks to Douglas, Jeroen and Maybelle for getting all the Officers there as well as all off the Roll Call CCer's that contributed so much. We even hung the Banner up signature side out so we could view all the signature and also sign the banner. I was so impressed with all the signatures. You figure I have not seen it since Feb 2009 when this new banner was brought on board. Oh so many familier names and people I have met. It brought a bit smile to my face to see what all was back there. The Meet and Greet started at 11 and I think we were there till right about 12:30 with a really big turn out. And yes Harry and Lois were there too.

After the Meet and Greet Tom and I went to the Lido of course it was still crowded but I had a few salad items and a slice ot pizza and some butterscotch sugar free pudding. Then headed back to the cabin where I proceeded to spend the afternnoon reading. Then Sher called about 2 and asked if we wanted to go to the Royal Dutch High Tea at 3pm. She has actually never attended and wanted to go. We went but I have to admit I miss the old days when they would read the story about the Royal Dutch High Tea. They no longer do that and it is really just another time to go eat. I had two strawberries and some tea so really did not get full for dinner this evening.

I did want to mention that while there are not nearly as many crew they we normally know but there have been a few ;) Of course they are normally from the Beverage Department. Right before we headed down to the Royal Dutch High Tea we met yet another who came to our cabin to check the mini bar. His name is Jay and we met him n the Eurodam in December 2008 when we were there for a B2B. He was a Bartender at the time now he is a Wine Steward in the evenings in the Main Dining Room. We spoke with him about some of the crew on that ship where they were and that we had already ran into some on the Westerdam in May. And message is Angie because I am guessing you may be reading this we spoke about you and Jay said Hi, he said he lives about 10 minutes from you.

We have Early Dinner which is a tad early but late is just too late. Tom and I looked quote nice if I do say so myself as well as Sher and Bob. The guys looked dashing in their Tuxes. There were a few Tuxes but mostly dark suits and several without jackets. This was the first of 4 Formal nights and the recommended by Chef Rudi was the Mussels, Potato Leek Soup and Lobster Thermidor and a small Filet so I took Chef Rudi's Recommendation ;) and topped it off with Tiramisu and coffee. Then Tom and I did a first, we actually skipped the Captain's Toast and Early Show to retire for the evening so I could write the report and just relax and read. Sher and Bob decided to do the same. Tom had hurt is knee at work almost 2 weeks ago and is still in a lot of pain and having trouble walking and as we all know there is always a lot of walking on the ship.

We got back to the cabin this evening before our cabin steward could even do turn down service but the HAL Explorer says that we turn back the clocks and hour this evening, or should i say at 3 am so we will gain an hour of sleep. Sher and I decided we would meet in the Thermal Suite at 9 am tomorrow morning to start the day off very relaxed.

While I have been writing this the interest connection has been going on and off so right now it is on so I think I may attempt to post this soooo....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is now Monday morning and of course when I went to post this the last night internet was down and it appears to be down once again this morning but thought I would write just a bit. We gained an hour of sleep last night but it did not prevent us from sleeping in even though we went to bed so very early. It is now 8:15 ship time and I am meeting Sher at the Thermal Suite at 9 but thought I might go to the Lido and grab some fruit and something light.

Something tells me you may not get a lot of reports till we get to Hawaii but one big bit of news I wanted to tell you was..........No More mast Chef's Dinner :) HAL is working on something new but till they announce that they have removed the Master Chef's dinner from all sailings. I thought that was amazing good news. Can you tell I was not a fan of it.

OK I need to get ready to run up to the Lido then the spa, looks like I will have to post this later.

Signing off from the Beautiful an Elegant MS Oosterdam.

Lisa: NO Master Chef dinner? I am shocked! To be honest with you, no tears ran down my cheek when you said that. One of the nice things about the Nieuw Amsterdam is they have never had it on this fine ship.

We were on the Noordam in Jan, had a suite, and did not have any flowers either. After a few days I asked the room stewart about the flowers, a few hours later the flowers arrived, only to disappear a few days later. I think they were short on flowers and were rotating the ones they had.

Monday October 24, 2011

Aloha and Good Evening from some where in the Pacific.

It has been our second of 4 sea days in a row. I love sea days yet to be truthful, frankly I do not do a darn thing. As a matter of fact I get a bit lazy and the day flies by quickly.

I started the day with a quick breakfast in the Lido with Tom before meeting Sher in the Thermal Suite. They offer something I have never seen before a Sausage Mac Muffin and a Bacon Egg and Cheese MacMuffin but with out the "Mac" Personally I think they could really call it a Sausage Dam Muffin and a Bacon Egg and Cheese Dam Muffin. Well I had one of the Bacon ones but I added extra cheese and a slice of turkey along with my grapefruit juice. Then headed to the Thermal Suite it was a bit busy but I am sure and the cruise progresses there will be less people. Funny thing while in the spas Sher and I are in the Hydro Therapy Pool and a lady says to Sher "Have we met before?" Well it ends up her and her husband were on the Nieuw Amsterdam the same cruise that Sher was on and I was too for March this past Spring. Her husband was with her and I recognized him from the Spa. After we were done with the Hydro Therapy Pool we went into the Thermal Suite which was full but just went and sat in a Sauna, when we got out all the chairs or at least most all of the chairs were empty so we were able to grab a heated lounger. It was agreat day to relax and start the day.

We did receive invitations this morning for the Mariner Lunch which is tomorrow at 11:00. Trust me this will be my last complaint about this but I still think that it is just plain wrong that for many of us we are caught in this middle ground of having received our 100 day medallions, then cruised many times with always getting invited to the "Pre" cocktail party then to suddenly be no bodies and no longer get invited because we do not have the 200 days to be a 4 star Mariner :( Tom and I are at 188 days starting this cruise and come Thursday with having a Suite we will be at HAL's 200 days but of course will not be recognised as 4 Star Mariners till the next cruise. Personally I think it is wrong that one for several cruises you are treated special then suddenly are not. Then the worst part is with our friends Sher and Bob, Sher has gone on two cruises where her husband did not go so she has just a a few more days and is a 4 Star Mariner, her husband is about right where we are and will receive his 4 Star after this cruise. He was not invited to the Pre Lunch Party but she was. Frankly that is actually a bit rude. Like I said I will not complain about this any more because our next cruise we will be 4 Star but I would like HAL to relook at this for the future. Especially in the case where one spouse is 4 star and the other is not. Both really should be invited. Of course tehn there are ships like the Nieuw Amsterdam where everyone with 100 plus all get invited. HAL really needs to have some kind of consistency.

Today was an absolutely beautiful warm day, it was a bit cloudy this morning but that soon burned off and we had lots of sun and warmth. After the spa I got back to the cabin at about 11:15, read for a while, then took a shower. About 1 we headed up to the Lido, of course we knew it would be busy but OMG it was packed. come to find out the Main Dining Room was not open for lunch today??? Main Dining Room not open on a Sea Day, to be that seemed strange so of course all 2000+ people were trying to eat in one place.

After lunch came back and called Sher and we were both ready to go walking, we we walked to promenade deck. It was a great day to walk. Her and I are going to attempt to do this every day. Afterwards I came back to the cabin to read some more sitting out on the verandah, then came in and took a nap. The only time a ever take a nap is on a ship.

Of course Tom and I woke up in time to freshen up for dinner, then afterwards went to see Elliot Maxx's show. We have seen her once or twice and he did seem to have a few new bits of new material we had not seem him do. He is really a very funny guy. Afterwards Sher and Bob headed back to their cabin and we went to the Queen's Lounge for a cocktail and listen to Vivienne and the HAL Cats.

Someone asked who the Travel Guide was and Yes it is Kainoa.

Well I think this is about enough writing for tonight,

Aloha and Good Morning from the MS Oosterdam where we once again gained another hour of sleep. I could not get this posted last night so will attempt again this morning. I definitely heard rain last night and also saw that the cabin steward brought in all the cushions to the chairs and had them behind the curtain so they must have also know this might happen. It appears that it will be another sunny day here in the Pacific.

UPDATE, I got logged in for just a minute and did see that my post took last night. The internet is constantly up and down. Of course I am sure being here in the aft does not help any. I had edited what i wrote last night but since it did post I have below what I added. :)

Of course Tom and I woke up in time to freshen up for dinner, When we received the menus this afternoon we admitted we were not thrilled woth the menu so I called Sher and she agreed. We tried to get into Canaletto and of course they were full. So we did go with a regularly scheduled dining. I ended up ording the Seared Ahi Tuna for Appetizer then had the French Onion Soup Chef Rudi's recommendation was the Mulligatawny Soup which has Lam and I am not too thrilled with Lam, then I had the Orange - Ginger Pork. For those that asked Tom ordered the Avaiable Daily Classic Caesar Salad then he also had the Ginger - Pork. I thin he actually liked it because his was gone and I gave him pieces of mine. Bob also had the Orange Ginger Pork but he tried the Mulligatawny Soup. Sher was the different one tonight and had the Coq au Vin, she also had the Sear Ahi but then for a salad had the Orange Avacado Carousel.

Dessert three out of 4 of us had the Key Lime Pie and Tom had the Brownie Stack with Vanilla Ice Cream. I topped mine off with the Raspberry Sorbet which i always like as well. I figured I only ate about half of the Orange Ginger Pork so why not.

Then afterwards went to see Elliot Maxx's show. We have seen him once or twice before and I beleive here on the Oosterdam and he did seem to have a few new bits of new material we had not seem him do. He is really a very funny guy. Afterwards Sher and Bob headed back to their cabin and we went to the Queen's Lounge for a cocktail and listen to Vivienne and the HAL Cats. I think Vivienne is very talented, they performed Big Band and Jazz Standards. Tom had a Pina Colada and I had a Margarita which was really way too strong and did not set too well with the wine at dinner. (Yes I am writing some of this Tuesday morning) Of course I tried to post and the internet was strong the whole time I was writing this and when I went to post it went down. So the above is new in info I added this morning.

I might have to order room service for breakfast one morning, we have not done that for years since i was never too thrilled with what we would get and do not like room service coffee. Thinking I might get dressed and head to the Explorations Cafe.

I got signed on for a second to see the post did take last night, it went down just as I did it so was surpised it took but could not post aything else so will attemtp one more time.

I will sign off for now since it appears I may be able to post this. I took a shower and instead of heading to the Explorations Cafe Tom brought me a Yogurt and Fruit parfait and acup of juice.

Main dining room closed on a sea day for lunch:(--is this what I have to look forward too on my first Holland cruise--- to me this is unacceptable--a good reason for me to lower the service fee when on board.:(

What was the reason it was closed???

BG

Main dining room closed on a sea day for lunch:(--is this what I have to look forward too on my first Holland cruise--- to me this is unacceptable--a good reason for me to lower the service fee when on board.:(

I am sure the people that serve you had no say in that decision, so why punish them? :confused:

Some people just start preparing their excuses before even getting on the ship. What a great attitude to begin a vacation! :eek:

I guess IMOP the concept of service includes the whole ship--which includes the type of service you get from management to the low level personnel--to close the MDR on a sea day and create a mad house in the LIDO ( as was reported this week) is not in IMOP good service from the Hotel Department which includes dining. This is where my comment comes from--maybe the Hotel Director should have a penalty in their salary for the amount of people who adjust their service charge for bad service.

In my case I hate buffets and enjoy eating in the MDR so this would impact me---

BG

a good reason for me to lower the service fee when on board.:(

BG

Seems to me to be a valid comment to make on the Comment Card, but I struggle to see the point of punishing a server for a decision likely out of their control.

As I understand it, HAL takes those comments very seriously...

I guess IMOP the concept of service includes the whole ship--which includes the type of service you get from management to the low level personnel--to close the MDR on a sea day and create a mad house in the LIDO ( as was reported this week) is not in IMOP good service from the Hotel Department which includes dining. This is where my comment comes from--maybe the Hotel Director should have a penalty in their salary for the amount of people who adjust their service charge for bad service.

In my case I hate buffets and enjoy eating in the MDR so this would impact me---

BG

I would still prefer to wait and see what kind of explanation is given before rushing to judgement.

If you board a ship looking for trouble, I am willing to bet you will find it ! That is my opinion ;)

Seems to me to be a valid comment to make on the Comment Card, but I struggle to see the point of punishing a server for a decision likely out of their control.

As I understand it, HAL takes those comments very seriously...

I guess your right--the only thing about the service fee is it covers everyone--

so bad service in dining gets there tips because there was good service

in the cabin--??? where is the incentive???

By the way on all my cruises we have never adjusted the service charge even though we have experienced some bad service along the way.

BG

Archived