Credit cards in Mexico?

billroddy

Here are the international transaction fees I found for different cards:

Holland America Visa 3%

Chase Cards 3%

First Citizens Bank Visa 2%

Discover Card 0% (zero)

So my question is, has any member used the Discover Card in Puerto Vallarta, or Cabo?

Bill

Ancient Mariner

Good luck with that. Unless it's a big corporate entity (eg. Diamond International), I doubt you'll find many vendors of any type that take anything other than MasterCard and VISA. We got an offer for a Chase Continental Presidential Plus MC where they waived the first year's annual $395 fee. Not only does it not charge a foreign transaction fee, but we get Continental/United airport club lounge access. I'm almost tempted to not cancel it before the renewal, but we don't travel enough lately to make the perks worth it.

We live in Puerto Vallarta several months a year and can assure you that Discover Cards are nearly useless (this is also true in most other countries outside of the US and Canada). We do a lot of international travel and totally agree with the previous post about CapitalOne Cards (usually a Master Card). CapitalOne has almost become legandery among international travelers since they offer fee free Master Cards (I think they also issue Visa) that have absolutely no foreign exchange fees. We have actually run our own tests (using a fee free ATM card and other credit cards) in both Europe and Mexico and our CapitalOne has the best rate every time with our fee-free ATM/Debit card very close. Our other credit cards all change in the 2.5 to 3% range for any transaction. One of my pet peeves has to do with AMEX who charges annual fees for their card and still imposes a 2.7% foreign exchange fee. There answer to this is that if you pay over $450 a year for an AMEX Platinum card there is no foreign exchange fee.

Hank

Capital one is the card to use. No annual fee, double points, and no foreign transaction fee. I use my capital one visa in Europe and everywhere else, just let them know that you will be traveling abroad. I know that some other banks are not charging the fee, like some chase cards or AX card.

Here are the international transaction fees I found for different cards:

Holland America Visa 3%

Chase Cards 3%

First Citizens Bank Visa 2%

Discover Card 0% (zero)

So my question is, has any member used the Discover Card in Puerto Vallarta, or Cabo?

Bill

Ancient Mariner

We use AmEx without problem.

Used to be there was no international transaction fee on Discover, other than currency adjustment due to exchange rate. For at least the past two years, Discover has had a 2% international transaction fee for any charges in currency other than USD.

We use AmEx without problem.

And, unless you have a Platinum card, you will find that there is a 2.7% foreign exchange fee added to each of your transactions. This charge used to be bundled right in the amount charged so many folks did not noticed unless they calculated the exchange rate and compared it to the actual rate effective that day. But because of a new federal law they now fully disclose the fee as a separate item on each charge (look at your statement). So the bottom line is that if we charge $10,000 on our AMEX while traveling around Europe we will be charged $10,270. If we charged that same $10,000 on a CapitalOne Card we would be charged $10,000. And to think that the CapitalOne Card has zero annual fees (this is starting to sound like an ad for CapitalOne).

Hank

Capital one is the card to use. No annual fee, double points, and no foreign transaction fee. I use my capital one visa in Europe and everywhere else, just let them know that you will be traveling abroad. I know that some other banks are not charging the fee, like some chase cards or AX card.

I have been looking for a card that does not charge international fees (another scam)......this is a great suggestion and will investigate as I am travelling more internationally ...thanks for the info!!!!

Just as a bit of information regarding the little shopping area right at the Port in Puerto Vallarta, they do not accept Credit Cards at all:( I found out the hard way that they would only accept US Dollars or Pesos.

They did try to poit me to the WalMart across from the Port (where there was also an ATM), but after seeing not only the machine gunned armed security guards driving around the WalMart parking lot there and the security fencing, I decided the best idea was getting back on the ship and not spend my money there.

Keep in mind that this was just my experience. Others went away from the Port area and had no problems. I am just extremely scared in situations like that and preferred to stay on the ship itself:)

Joanie

Since we are talking about PV we should have also added that very few places accept AMEX cards and there are quite a few restaurants (including some of the better places) that are cash only. As a rule MC and Visa are pretty widely accepted. There is one very popular restaurant called Barcelona Tapas who only accepts Amex (Visa and MC not accepted). That is a very usual situation which came about when the owner (Chicago restauranteur Bill Carballo) managed to cut a deal with AMEX where his restaurant has been featured in some AMEX advertising. And by the way, that is a great place for Tapas and a view if you are in town for dinner.

Hank

The current issue of Consumer Reports has suggestions for credit cards if anyone's interested.

We just took out a Capital One after the recommendations here and in their article. It's still no international transaction fees and no yearly fee.

You could have saved yourself the cost of Consumer Reports since quite a few of us have posted similar info here on CC for several year :). And CC is still free!

Hank

Even if your credit card charges a fee you will still come out way ahead over paying in dollars in Mexico. The present peso rate is $13.58. If you pay in US you will get between $12.00 and $12.30 in pesos to the dollar. That is a 10% difference so even a card with a fee is much more advantageous.

I have also seen people use their Capitol One cards and the merchant charges them in US giving them $12 pesos to the dollar. They were not worried as they insisted they would not be charged fees. After 15 minutes I gave up trying to help. So if you use any credit card you'll come out ahead over paying cash. Plus make sure the merchant charges your credit card in PESOS!

The current issue of Consumer Reports has suggestions for credit cards if anyone's interested.

We just took out a Capital One after the recommendations here and in their article. It's still no international transaction fees and no yearly fee.

You could have saved yourself the cost of Consumer Reports since quite a few of us have posted similar info here on CC for several year :). And CC is still free!

Hank

Hank, perhaps tangerinebunny read the article in her local library for free! ;) That's where I read my (free) issues of "Consumer Reports"! :)

I'd also recommend Capitol One for the same reasons others have mentioned. We've all but stopped using our cards from other banks.

Just signed up with Capital One yesterday and card on the way....thanks to all on this thread......I might just melt my BOA card

Archived