Passport Requirements

meyer4two

In 2 days I'm cruising to the Eastern Caribbean from NJ & back to NJ which involves no flying. My passport is valid but expires March 2012. Am I good to go or should I play it safe and take my BC & drivers license when I check in?

In 2 days I'm cruising to the Eastern Caribbean from NJ & back to NJ which involves no flying. My passport is valid but expires March 2012. Am I good to go or should I play it safe and take my BC & drivers license when I check in?

Typically countries in the Caribbean only care about it being valid if they even care about a passport. Arrival back into the USA only requires that your passport still be valid. You should be good.

Requirements do differ for various ports. Since cruise passengers visit for less than 24 hours Caribbean islands typically have special regulations that apply only to cruise passengers. Generally the requirement is that passengers have a passport (or other WHTI documentation) on the visit date.

Unless your cruise line requires something else I expect that your passport only needs to be valid until your return.

Thank you for all the comments. Then I'll assume RC will let me board with no problem. I usually always do my homework when traveling, the passport thing just slipped my mind since I knew it was still valid....then I got to wondering.....

In 2 days I'm cruising to the Eastern Caribbean from NJ & back to NJ which involves no flying. My passport is valid but expires March 2012.
What am I missing? If it's not expired by the end of the trip, why would their be a problem?

Haven't I read somewhere in the reams of RCI documentation that they require a passport that has at least 6 months of validation left?

Only a select few countries require that....and none of them are in the Caribbean. :D:):D

and for travelers like myself who have not yet taken the jump in purchasing a passport, as long as your cruise is close looped, (embarking and disembarking at same U.S. port) you still don't need a passport.

I have no problem taking my birth certificate and driver's license. :D

Leaving out of Baltimore in EIGHT days for a 9 night Carribbean cruise.

Nina and Earlo from Baltimore

and for travelers like myself who have not yet taken the jump in purchasing a passport, as long as your cruise is close looped, (embarking and disembarking at same U.S. port) you still don't need a passport.

I have no problem taking my birth certificate and driver's license. :D

Leaving out of Baltimore in EIGHT days for a 9 night Carribbean cruise.

In the (unlikely) event that you would need to fly home for any reason (miss the ship in port, illness or injury) you definitely WOULD have a problem with no passport.

I think anyone leaving the country via any mode of transportation needs a passport, but it's up to each person whether or not to get it.

You never know what may happen. Just look at all those cruise passengers that had to fly home from SJ because they didn't have a passport for Carnival to fly them to Barbados.

I'm just one of those who would rather be safe than sorry.:)

Since your passport is valid, there is no need to present RCCL with your BC. You should take your license though because you need picture ID to get back into the secured area of the port when you are about to reboard the ship at the islands. You do not want to take your passport off the ship with you as your picture ID. U.S. passports are quite valuable these days and are safer left in the cabin safe where the port manager can contact security to retrieve it for you should you be left on the island. If you really think you must take your passport with you off the ship, just make a copy and carry that while leaving the original in the safe.

I am in the same "boat" as you, my passport expires in February. I am leaving on a last minute cruise in a couple of weeks so don't want to send it in. I know when I travel out of the country to Europe it needs to be valid for an additional six months but since it is not even required for a Caribbean sailing I am going use it to board. I will be watching to see if you have any problems! Please report back! Thanks, have a great cruise!

Since your passport is valid, there is no need to present RCCL with your BC. You should take your license though because you need picture ID to get back into the secured area of the port when you are about to reboard the ship at the islands. You do not want to take your passport off the ship with you as your picture ID. U.S. passports are quite valuable these days and are safer left in the cabin safe where the port manager can contact security to retrieve it for you should you be left on the island. If you really think you must take your passport with you off the ship, just make a copy and carry that while leaving the original in the safe.

I have to disagree with most of this advice.

A copy of one's passport is utterly useless in place of the real thing. Just keep track of your passport number, issue and expiry dates.

It may be possible to retrieve one's passport should the ship sail without you but I wouldn't count on it. Success depends on far too many things going right for me to risk it. If a cruise line recommends it, then go ahead and leave passports aboard otherwise don't.

In US ports I would agree take a DL and leave the passport in a safe. No problems flying domestic with a DL. Although non-US citizens may still feel more comfortable with their passport.

I am in the same "boat" as you, my passport expires in February. I am leaving on a last minute cruise in a couple of weeks so don't want to send it in. I know when I travel out of the country to Europe it needs to be valid for an additional six months but since it is not even required for a Caribbean sailing I am going use it to board. I will be watching to see if you have any problems! Please report back! Thanks, have a great cruise!

Thanks, I will report back to you. I called RC this morning & she said I won't have any problems boarding but they do like your passport to be good for 6 months beyond your cruise, but said I won't be denied boarding because of my itinerary. Sure hope she is right!!!

I WILL enjoy my cruise. Thanks again. I'll try to remember to write u when I return & let u know.

I have to disagree with most of this advice.

A copy of one's passport is utterly useless in place of the real thing. Just keep track of your passport number, issue and expiry dates.

It may be possible to retrieve one's passport should the ship sail without you but I wouldn't count on it. Success depends on far too many things going right for me to risk it. If a cruise line recommends it, then go ahead and leave passports aboard otherwise don't.

In US ports I would agree take a DL and leave the passport in a safe. No problems flying domestic with a DL. Although non-US citizens may still feel more comfortable with their passport.

I remember one of my cruises, we HAD to show our passport to get back on the ship in Puerto Rico. A Carnival ship was boarding passengers to start their cruise so security was asking to see everyones passport even though we just stopped there for the day. A woman with 2 children didn't have her passport and was held for almost 2 hrs. That is the only time a passport was required out of all my cruises to reboard. Usually just a DL is sufficient. In St. Thomas they always ask for a DL to reboard. So when I leave the ship, I always ask what is needed to return just to be on the safe side.

I actually asked my TA this question today, and she checked for me. We're going to St. Martin, St. Lucia, Martinique, Barbados, and St. Thomas. None of them require anything other than a valid passport. Actually, St. Lucia will accept an expired passport. She said it would be fine for us to fly to the US on a passport with 3 months to go, so I'd imagine it'd be the same for you if you had to fly back from the islands for some emergency.

Haven't I read somewhere in the reams of RCI documentation that they require a passport that has at least 6 months of validation left?

This is correct if you use the passport as your primary means of identification to reenter the country and it is in the contract of carriage from RCCL. Otherwise the birth certificate and valid drivers license or other government ID card is acceptable.

I actually asked my TA this question today, and she checked for me. We're going to St. Martin, St. Lucia, Martinique, Barbados, and St. Thomas. None of them require anything other than a valid passport. Actually, St. Lucia will accept an expired passport. She said it would be fine for us to fly to the US on a passport with 3 months to go, so I'd imagine it'd be the same for you if you had to fly back from the islands for some emergency.

A US Passport is good for entry into the United States until 11:59 pm on the day it expires. The minimum time until expiration is a requirement set by other admitting countries and is totally at their discretion. None of the Carribean countries have such as requirement as far as I know. Generally, a carrier will only enforce the immigration requirements of the countries you are going to, it won't add any extras. The 6 month recommendation for RCI is just guidance for safety's sake, and if the itinerary is not going to a country that requires it, they aren't going to enforce it. But you'd best know the entry requirements for the country you are going to, and not just based on a cruise forum. The entry requirements for every country in world is available on the US Department of State website, travel.state.gov.

For nationals of Visa Waiver countries as well as most visitor visas, the US requires a passport that is valid for 6 months beyond the stay.

A US Passport is good for entry into the United States until 11:59 pm on the day it expires. The minimum time until expiration is a requirement set by other admitting countries and is totally at their discretion. None of the Carribean countries have such as requirement as far as I know. Generally, a carrier will only enforce the immigration requirements of the countries you are going to, it won't add any extras. The 6 month recommendation for RCI is just guidance for safety's sake, and if the itinerary is not going to a country that requires it, they aren't going to enforce it. But you'd best know the entry requirements for the country you are going to, and not just based on a cruise forum. The entry requirements for every country in world is available on the US Department of State website, travel.state.gov.

For nationals of Visa Waiver countries as well as most visitor visas, the US requires a passport that is valid for 6 months beyond the stay.

I would add, one needs to be careful relying on the State Department information. Read the requirements fully pay attention to the section for by-sea visitors. Most Caribbean nations have special entry rules for cruise ship visitors. Typically these are WHTI compliant documents valid for the day of the visit. These rules can differ from those for non-cruise visitors.

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting you know I had no problems boarding. So, you'll be just fine. As long as your passport is valid during the cruise, your OK. Had a great cruise, hope yours is as wonderful.

Bet u thought I'd forget to write back & let u know, I can't believe I remembered!

Archived