pub lunch

funlovinguy2011

This is what the Fish and Chips looked like on the Golden Princess:

5469576875_212e425a83_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Wow. Ours didn't look anything like this on the Sapphire last month. The fish was probably one half to one third the size of what is pictured in the link above. In fact, my husband remarked that he should have ordered two servings because the portion was so skimpy. We saw more white on the plate than fish and chips.

I enjoy the pub lunch and always make it a point to do it. I always have a beer usually Guiness with my pub lunch. I spent time in Ireland and was in heaven. There you simply order a pint and they know what you mean! BTW malt vinegar and salt only on the fish and chips. Delicious.

Wow. Ours didn't look anything like this on the Sapphire last month. The fish was probably one half to one third the size of what is pictured in the link above. In fact, my husband remarked that he should have ordered two servings because the portion was so skimpy. We saw more white on the plate than fish and chips.

Judging by the size of the ramekin I would say that this photo makes the plate look larger than it was. And take a look at the chips too. Not that it doesn't look nice.

Just look around the room and observe how many cruisers just drink water to save $$$. Hard to think of anyone doing this in an authentic pub.

Why would you say this about people you dont even know? Lots of people, myself included just plain dont drink at lunchtime. I like a cocktail before dinner, but dont want one at lunch. And saving money has nothing to do with it.

Why would you say this about people you dont even know? Lots of people, myself included just plain dont drink at lunchtime. I like a cocktail before dinner, but dont want one at lunch. And saving money has nothing to do with it.

Agreed. We enjoy a glass (or two) of wine with dinner, but don't drink alcohol at lunchtime. Just because it is described as a 'pub lunch' doesn't mean that you should or must drink alcohol.

On the recent Transatlantic on the Ruby we did the Pub Lunch. We thought the fish and chips (yes, they are free) were quite good; enjoyed a beer (not free), too. They had a small band with singer, too. Overall, a good experience. I would certainly recommend you give it a try.

With so many sea days on a Transatlantic is the pub lunch available each and every sea day or are there only a couple of them?

I'm not a beer drinker but if it's part of the Pub lunch experience I'm willing to try it. Any suggestions on something "authentic"? I wouldn't drink a Bud just to have a beer with my pub lunch but I'd try something more traditional.

Thanks.

With so many sea days on a Transatlantic is the pub lunch available each and every sea day or are there only a couple of them?
I haven't been on a Transatlantic, but did a 14 day cruise to Hawaii that had 8 sea days. The Pub Lunch was only held 3 or 4 of those days. It will be listed in your Princess Patter on the days that it is available.

I'm not a beer drinker but if it's part of the Pub lunch experience I'm willing to try it. Any suggestions on something "authentic"?

My favorites would be Guinness (a very dark beer) or a black & tan (which is a Bass Pale Ale & a Guinness together in the glass, and when poured correctly, looks rather lovely for a little bitty while and it tastes super duper yummy to me.)

We did 2 of the 3 pub lunches that were offered on the Coral. they were wonderful. Bangers & Mash & fish & chips...excellent! the bread pudding was the best!!:) They had them in the Bayou Cafe.

Ouch! Coral was my 1st cruise, and I knew nothing of 'pub lunch'. I LOVE a good bread pudding. Hope maybe Carribean has it?

Doug

They do not service ice tea like in the Horizon Court with the Pub lunch.

They did serve iced tea for the pub lunch on the Coral this summer while we were on an Alaskan cruise! The portions are small - tiny pieces of wonderful fried shrimp and fish! We enjoyed it and it was in the wheelhouse bar on our cruise.

one of the tastiest luncheon offerings on the cruise! had it twice on golden Hawaii last year with 8 sea days. this year will be on cb back to back and only two sea days total between the two weeks. really torn between pub lunch and MDR on those days because if i understand correctly the sea days will be the only days MDR lunch is being offered.

okay fine, i'll admit it. there's a REAL possibility that I will do BOTH!!:D

I'm not a beer drinker but if it's part of the Pub lunch experience I'm willing to try it. Any suggestions on something "authentic"? I wouldn't drink a Bud just to have a beer with my pub lunch but I'd try something more traditional.

Thanks.

My favorites would be Guinness (a very dark beer) or a black & tan (which is a Bass Pale Ale & a Guinness together in the glass, and when poured correctly, looks rather lovely for a little bitty while and it tastes super duper yummy to me.)

Kmkub has great suggestions. You might also try a Boddingtons.

Ouch! Coral was my 1st cruise, and I knew nothing of 'pub lunch'. I LOVE a good bread pudding. Hope maybe Carribean has it?

Doug

My friend (an apparent bread pudding connoisseur) says the bread pudding at the pub lunch is very good. Some of the best he's had. YMMV. And we had the pub lunch on the Caribbean Princess this summer... they have it in the Crown Grill. Much more civilized than the Wheelhouse Bar. :)

Just look around the room and observe how many cruisers just drink water to save $$$. Hard to think of anyone doing this in an authentic pub.

In English pubs you will often see people drinking water with their lunch. There are a number of excellent pubs in and around the area where I work and I invariably drink water when I go to them at lunch time, I also drink water in pubs in the evening and it is not to do with cost because some pubs charge for water, it is because I choose to drink water.

If you do go to the pub lunch on the ships bear in mind that it is not an authentic pub and the food is not authentic pub food but it is a pleasant change from the MDR and HC.

So I've read on a recent cruise that one day they had the British-Style Pub Lunch and on another day they had the English-Style Pub Lunch. What's served for each? Is the fish and chips, and bangers and mash on the British-Style one and if so what is the English-Style Pub Lunch?

Both of those are served as well as a Ploughman's lunch and steak and kidney pie. Also bread pudding. That's it!

Archived