Flooded cabin on Crown Princess

Host CJSKIDS

Well, my cruising luck was not there this sailing. Today we came back to our cabin and guess what, the entire cabin is totally flooded from one end to the other! The toilet system has been having issues I guess on the ship, and today I was lucky enough to have the system dump eveyrthing into our room. From the door to the closet to the bathroom to the sliding door, it was everywhere.

I am extremely unhappy with how it was handled. Getting anyone up here was just plain fun. the ship is sold out. They originally wanted us to move everything. They have replaced the carpet which now stinks of carpet glue. This is going to be wonderful for my asthma that I can get.

our shoes and suitcases were sitting in God knows what.

Missed out on our planned day for Curacao as we had to deal with this and couldn't even get ready in our cabin.

Now many of you know me, I am not a huge complainer and my reviews always reflect that while I notice some things, I love my cruises. But today was handled poorly and tonight what we were offered was dinner. I have told them I will think about it.

Well, my cruising luck was not there this sailing. Today we came back to our cabin and guess what, the entire cabin is totally flooded from one end to the other! The toilet system has been having issues I guess on the ship, and today I was lucky enough to have the system dump eveyrthing into our room. From the door to the closet to the bathroom to the sliding door, it was everywhere.

I am extremely unhappy with how it was handled. Getting anyone up here was just plain fun. the ship is sold out. They originally wanted us to move everything. They have replaced the carpet which now stinks of carpet glue. This is going to be wonderful for my asthma that I can get.

our shoes and suitcases were sitting in God knows what.

Missed out on our planned day for Curacao as we had to deal with this and couldn't even get ready in our cabin.

Now many of you know me, I am not a huge complainer and my reviews always reflect that while I notice some things, I love my cruises. But today was handled poorly and tonight what we were offered was dinner. I have told them I will think about it.

Oh Carolyn,

I am so sorry this has happened to you. You certainly are one of the most reasonable people on these boards and I have always admired your positive attitude. Please let us know how this is handled from this point.

cjs

sorry about your mishaps i love reading your reviews, things happen how many cabins were effected, dont let this mishappen spoil your trip maybe they will compensate with a nice future cruise incentive good luck and good sailing

OMG... I would be mega upset. Your post really struck a chord with me. I don't have asthma but I do have allergies and a glue smell would put me way over the edge. Started thinking what we put on the floor in the cabin... shoes for sure and our luggage goes under the bed. I know your a frequent cruiser, I've read your posts over the years. I'm probably going to tell you, what you've already thought about.. but, if it were me, if another cabin wasn't available, I'd ask to be put in one of the officer cabins. I think the key is you need to go as high up as possible when talking to someone. A dinner just doesn't cut it. Guess you need to make lists of whatever got wet and take down the name of every Princess person you speak to. Hope you get some satisfaction. Good luck!

Carolyn, I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. Write down exactly who you spoke to and when, and the result. Take photos. And, document any damage to your luggage and clothing. Write to Princess as soon as you get home. This is unacceptable. When I had the problem with a non-working toilet for 8 days of a 10 day cruise, they offered me dinner and a bottle of wine. I told them exactly what (and where) they could put their piece offerings (nicely, of course.) And, make sure you talk to the Captain's Circle Host(ess) and make sure they're aware of what happened and that you plan to report it to Princess HQ. One thing I found out from my experience is that the Front Desk doesn't document 90% of complaints. Make sure it's documented in their records.

Oh, yuck! Just thinking about what your shoes and luggage was exposed to gives me the creeps. You deserve more than a dinner! Take deep breaths and try not to lose your temper at anyone. Be firm but polite and ask for exactly what you want.

I agree with Pam. Take pictures of the shoes and suitcases and anything else affected. If they are not how they were when you boarded (which I doubt they are) - file a report at the Purser's Desk (and get a copy of the report).

I had the ship's laundry lose an item once. I filed a report while on the ship with the Purser's Desk and they gave me a report which I later sent to Princess headquarters and they reimbursed me for the item. The report I filed had to be signed by the head purser or something like that.

I am so sorry - I would be frustrated also.

Wow... I was reading your story and thinking it was horrible, but you'd probably get a seriously nice offer out of it.

Dinner? :eek:That's an insult. They know stuff like this happens and they know it's a cost of doing business. They apparently, though, think they should offer less than a minimum acceptable at the start. That's a very big negative towards Princess, in my eyes.

My advice, with this pathetic dinner apology, is to aim very VERY high. Tell them you are willing to put up with the stinky cabin for no less than a free cruise of equal length in the same class cabin at another date of your choosing. Period. When they see your expectations are high, their minimum offer will go higher.

I also agree that you should go as high up the chain as you can.

One note - there is a HUGE difference if the water came from the pressurized feed system (hopefully!) or backed up from the vacumn system. You need to find out which ASAP.

I agree. I would want to know just what, exactly came in contact with my belongings. I would make sure Princess reimbursed you for any items that may have come in contact with anything that wasn't just water and even then I would probably document everything as I can't imagine shoes being the same after sitting in water.

So sorry to hear this happened to you

Oh no!! I am so sorry to hear that. But I can tell you we just got off the Crown on Sat, Nov 12th, and we had several issues with our toilet in our cabin, E730, not flushing at all. There was also one time, that down in restroom just outside club fusion, the toilets would not flush.

I was disappointed as our sailing had just came out of dry-dock. Also the security thing that they put your card in that shows your picture as you enter/return to the ship, was broke, so everything was done by a hand held thing. Took much longer. Is that fixed for your sailing?

And you know what, when we first boarded the ship and was walking to our cabin, they were installing carpet in one of the cabins just down from us. The glue smell was HORRIBLE and very strong. Wonder if this happened in that cabin too. Hmmm....

Why so many problems on this ship. The windows on the ship were really dirty too.

I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your cruise. I would demand some kind of credit for sure!

On our Crown cruise before drydock, on the starboard side of Riviera deck around the 400 & 500 cabins there was a sewage smell in that area for several days. Eventually it went away but I have to wonder if it could be the same problem that caused your terrible flood...what cabin was your flood?

I'd suggest following the great suggestions already posted on how to deal with this problem. I'm like you and not a huge complainer however they need to take care of you just as much as the flooding problem.

When you first reported the problem, did you ask to talk to either the Hotel General Manager or the Customer Service Director? If so, did either of them talk to you?

And, if they did talk to you, what was their response? Was it either of them that suggested that a dinner was enough of a bonus for what had happen to you?

I hope that you are taking both names and photo's while going through this event.

Bob

I am looking forward to hearing a follow-up. To the OP, so sorry to hear of your circumstances.

What did they ever determine was the source of the water back up? Did they offer to at least professionally clean your luggage and any clothing that was affected?

You would think that it would be a good idea for each cruise to have at least one or maybe two cabins that were left open on purpose for when these mishaps occur. It would be so much easier to allow you to move for a day or two or more into another cabin.

To the OP, I am so sorry this happened to you....we all look so forward to our vacations, frequently planning for several months or a year! I can only imagine your disappointment.

I was thinking maybe they would let you stay in the infirmary for the night, or at least until the "glue" smell dissipates? I, too, have asthma and I would not be able to stay in there with that smell. The infirmary "beds" may not be the most comfortable, but at least you will get a break from your cabin.

Hope it all works out...let us know.

You would think that it would be a good idea for each cruise to have at least one or maybe two cabins that were left open on purpose for when these mishaps occur.

I'm having a difficult time believing they don't have at least one as a matter of standard policy. I'm actually shocked... unless this incident just doesn't qualify (in their minds) to break open that spare cabin.

I'm having a difficult time believing they don't have at least one as a matter of standard policy. I'm actually shocked... unless this incident just doesn't qualify (in their minds) to break open that spare cabin.

I am guessing they don't have any cabins. I was on a cabin that was oversold as I had a move-over offer so I know the ship was booked to capacity. I had a problem with my cabin (not as bad as the OP) and there were no cabins to move me to. They told me if someone leaves the ship due to illness or family emergency I could get their cabin. Sadly, this happened a few days later.

While staying at one of the Princess lodges during the land segment of our Alaska cruisetour several years ago, my wife and I were asked to double up with my brother and his wife for the night because the lodge was overbooked. We all agreed and in return received the customary free dinner plus vouchers for several hundred dollars per couple, which we promptly cashed in at the restaurant that night. This incident was certainly no where near as serious as that experienced by OP, yet Princess thought it qualified for more than a mere dinner in compensation (can't remember if we got wine or not). IMHO, they should at least give you a significant credit towards a future cruise.

Hi All

Ever full ship has a few spare cabins just for such events,

when things get very bad, officers, staff have to move out of the cabins

to give to passengers,

have you had a meeting with the Hotel Manager and The Passenger Services Director, if not request one straight away

no point in waiting to get home, the place to get results is onboard the ship,

then take a get one of these officers to right a report and send it to head office for you,

I have had cabin issues before, in the time it took me to walk back from the pusers desk an officer was waiting for me at my cabin door,

do not waste your time with the pursers.

If still unhappy request to speak to the captain, they do speak to passengers, and do they fix problems , you bet in seconds things happen.

yours Shogun,

Archived