so...are children allowed in the CL?

K L B

This will be our third time in the CL.

Once on the Mariner of the Seas, and last time on the Freedom of the Seas.

We always get the first dinner seating, so we usually go to the CL about 5:15ish for an hourdevour and sometimes a drink (I am a cheap date, so on occasion will get a glass of red wine with a lot of ice, my husband usually gets a 7-7, or bourbon).

When we sailed the Mariner it was packed, no room for kids.

When we sailed the Freedom, it was usually just us and our table mates. Our Children, all 16-17 18 year olds would join us at 5:45 and we would walk to dinner together. Now mind you the CL on Freedom was empty. The CL said if anyone else came in the teens would be expected to leave. Only twice on the cruise did another couple come in, and as we got up to leave, he told us to stay.

Now mind you fluke or not this sailing at this time we were one of the few that visited before 6. Now I dont know if it got any busier after that, but, we did not abuse the benefits.

Now that the rules have changed I can only imagine what this summer will bring.

Safe travels.

Sorry, Mimi:

We were on the Explorer Thanksgiving cruise November 20. As you have read in the other posts, the lounge was full beyond capacity.

We spent time in the Deck 14 overflow lounge -- the view was wonderful and the lounge had a piano. It was nice to alternate between both lounges because the Concierge Lounge was always so full.

Here's a little secret we learned --

If you like any of the fancier mixed drinks other than a standard gin and tonic, these drinks were actually better in the Deck 14 lounge than in the Concierge Lounge, because the waitress went outside the lounge and obtained these types of drinks from the main bar at Dizzy's which, unlike the Concierge Lounge, is a full-blown, full-equipped bar.

Sorry we won't be cruising with you and hope to have a chance to discuss all of the issues in person again soon.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

This is obviously a hot topic for debate, so this might have been answered but disappeared. My question is simple, and i'm inquiring on the actual rules and not for personal opinion or desire for what you want the rules to be. Are children allowed in the CL? (FOS, if that matters).

Looks like we will see you in there then :0)

People who come into the CL with children usually have a different attitude than others using the lounge. They are there just for a quick drink before or after dinner, and perhaps because they need something from the concierge. On Explorer during Thanksgiving week, we did not witness any children lingering in the lounge for a long time and the few children we saw in the lounge were well-behaved.

The capacity problems in the CL lounge are usually limited to Voyager Class ships. These lounges were basically an afterthought when they were added in order to compete with NCL's courtyard villa and suite concept, because NCL beat RCCL to the suite perks.

On Freedom Class and above, the lounges were in the original designs and there are different lounges for different statuses of passengers, so overcrowding is usually not very frequent.

Even within the Voyager Class, we usually experience the most overcrowding on Explorer, because of the design of the lounge. Explorer has a large stand for holding magazines and board games right in the middle of the room which takes away space that could otherwise be used for seating. When we were on Adventure last January, that ship didn't have that huge stand in the middle of the room and there was actually more seating.

Explorer also generally experiences overcrowding because of the nature of the cruise and its passengers. It feeds from the New York and Northeast area, so most passengers don't need to fly. This brings on more repeaters (Diamond Plus). Most of its itineraries are longer than 7 days (to be able to get anywhere farther down than The Bahamas) so it attracts a great deal of retirees and other people who can take these longer itineraries (thus, more Diamond Plus). Also, as an incentive for people to take a cruise in the winter that goes through extremely cold weather for several days both going and coming, and unless you are going right smack in the middle of a holiday or the summer Bermuda season, the prices on Explorer are generally extremely favorable. This means that Explorer is nearly always filled to capacity.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

People who come into the CL with children usually have a different attitude than others using the lounge. They are there just for a quick drink before or after dinner, and perhaps because they need something from the concierge. On Explorer during Thanksgiving week, we did not witness any children lingering in the lounge for a long time and the few children we saw in the lounge were well-behaved.

The capacity problems in the CL lounge are usually limited to Voyager Class ships. These lounges were basically an afterthought when they were added in order to compete with NCL's courtyard villa and suite concept, because NCL beat RCCL to the suite perks.

On Freedom Class and above, the lounges were in the original designs and there are different lounges for different statuses of passengers, so overcrowding is usually not very frequent.

Even within the Voyager Class, we usually experience the most overcrowding on Explorer, because of the design of the lounge. Explorer has a large stand for holding magazines and board games right in the middle of the room which takes away space that could otherwise be used for seating. When we were on Adventure last January, that ship didn't have that huge stand in the middle of the room and there was actually more seating.

Explorer also generally experiences overcrowding because of the nature of the cruise and its passengers. It feeds from the New York and Northeast area, so most passengers don't need to fly. This brings on more repeaters (Diamond Plus). Most of its itineraries are longer than 7 days (to be able to get anywhere farther down than The Bahamas) so it attracts a great deal of retirees and other people who can take these longer itineraries (thus, more Diamond Plus). Also, as an incentive for people to take a cruise in the winter that goes through extremely cold weather for several days both going and coming, and unless you are going right smack in the middle of a holiday or the summer Bermuda season, the prices on Explorer are generally extremely favorable. This means that Explorer is nearly always filled to capacity.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

One problem with your comment about the Voyager class ships. The Voyager class ships were designed and started entering service BEFORE NCL built or offered the Courtyard Villas on their ships. This was not RCI reacting to NCL.

While I agree that NCL offers better suite amenities, that's where it ends in my book. NCL falls below RCI in every other aspect IMHO.

It's there as another poster noted, and it's just common sense. Can you imagine the Concierge telling DIAMOND PLUS and PINNACLE members that their kids are not welcome in the CL, while he's opening the door for a 1st-time cruiser and their kids booked in a Grand Suite? That would be absurd.

Assuming that it is a first time cruiser. We did 2 RC cruises and on our third we booked an OS suite. Loved it. So is our next one in an OS.

We are not first time cruisers but still low on the totem pole. We leave the kids at home to get some alone time, but the kids in the lounge were no bother for us.

Voyager Class ships entered into service before NCL Suites & Villas (Jewel, Gem, Pearl, Jade).

Then came the NCL Suites & Villas which placed RCCL at a marketing disadvantage. So that's when they added the Concierge Lounges to Voyager Class ships (and Enchantment as well, I remember).

We agree that NCL has much better suite service, but in general RCCL offers better overall experiences.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Voyager Class ships entered into service before NCL Suites & Villas (Jewel, Gem, Pearl, Jade).

Then came the NCL Suites & Villas which placed RCCL at a marketing disadvantage. So that's when they added the Concierge Lounges to Voyager Class ships (and Enchantment as well, I remember).

We agree that NCL has much better suite service, but in general RCCL offers better overall experiences.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

And you missed my point. The Voyager entered service in 1999 along with the Radiance with a Concierge lounge in place. This was not an after thought.

It's there as another poster noted, and it's just common sense. Can you imagine the Concierge telling DIAMOND PLUS and PINNACLE members that their kids are not welcome in the CL, while he's opening the door for a 1st-time cruiser and their kids booked in a Grand Suite? That would be absurd.

I imagine that in the near future the Concierge will be telling the Diamond Plus guests that neither they or their kids are welcome in the CL.

And you missed my point. The Voyager entered service in 1999 along with the Radiance with a Concierge lounge in place. This was not an after thought.

Thanks. I could've sworn the Voyager was built with the CL, but didn't want to say anything because his posts had me confused.

Wrong.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Just as an added note, the Enchantment's CL was added during its stretch, in 2005. Had nothing to do with any other class of ship.

I imagine that in the near future the Concierge will be telling the Diamond Plus guests that neither they or their kids are welcome in the CL.

Why so pessimistic? Whatever will be, will be but it doesn't make much sense to me to worry about things that have not yet happened and might never take place.:confused:

Archived