Barber Shop on a cruise ship

Pickels

On Freedom class ships, there is a barber shop in the promenade across from the Cafe Promenade.

Only the Indy has Clean Shave.......FR and LB have the cupcake cupboard where Clean Shave was...

The Freedom class ships used to have a shop on the Royal Promenade. I think it was called "A Clean Shave" or some such thing. It was on Independence when we were on the ship. I think it has since been removed from the three Freedom class ships. I guess it wasn't the money maker RCI was hoping for.

The Freedom class ships used to have a shop on the Royal Promenade. I think it was called "A Clean Shave" or some such thing. It was on Independence when we were on the ship. I think it has since been removed from the three Freedom class ships. I guess it wasn't the money maker RCI was hoping for.

I have been on FR and it was gone........hadnt been on ID or LB,but according to the deck plans,its still there on ID..........maybe a recent cruiser can let us know?

I have been on FR and it was gone........hadnt been on ID or LB,but according to the deck plans,its still there on ID..........maybe a recent cruiser can let us know?

It might still be on Indy. Isn't that the last of the three Freedom class ships that is to undergo upgrades?

I could never figure out why someone would want to get a haircut while on vacation:rolleyes: - always seemed odd to see those on the ships.

It wasn't for the haircut, I can assure you ... it was for the old style shave. While my preference is always a high quality "straight-edge" shave (think, "The Art Of Shavinig" in New York City), the one I had on obard Liberty a few years ago was terrific (using a convention razor).

Michael

It wasn't for the haircut, I can assure you ... it was for the old style shave. While my preference is always a high quality "straight-edge" shave (think, "The Art Of Shavinig" in New York City), the one I had on obard Liberty a few years ago was terrific (using a convention razor).

Michael

You can still have this done onboard..just the location has changed. Personally when sitting at the Promenade Cafe (across from where Clean Shave used to be on Liberty & the Freedom) I would rather watch people eat cupcakes than someone get a shave...;):)

I could never figure out why someone would want to get a haircut while on vacation:rolleyes: - always seemed odd to see those on the ships.

Apparently a lot of people agree with you which is most likely why RCI is getting rid of them.

You can still have this done onboard..just the location has changed. Personally when sitting at the Promenade Cafe (across from where Clean Shave used to be on Liberty & the Freedom) I would rather watch people eat cupcakes than someone get a shave...;):)

Mostly all I ever saw while sitting in the Café Promenade was an EMPTY shave shop.

Apparently a lot of people agree with you which is most likely why RCI is getting rid of them.

Mostly all I ever saw while sitting in the Café Promenade was an EMPTY shave shop.

Then perhaps you were lucky and our timing was off.. :eek::D

I saw someone getting a shave on the Indy and they were doing it with a conventional razor and not a straight edge. I noticed this because I have a barber license and thought that to promote a more expensive shave they should be using a straight edge and how quirky that would be in rough seas. LOL

True, it may be over the top; it may be fading out like a shoe-shine stand by the subway station or airport. Most men travel in sneakers. But regarding the barber, some folks DOCARE how they look, even on vacation. Suppose you were running around before your cruise doing this, doing that and a haircut was the last thing on your agenda. It would be nice to get cleaned up a bit. But, there are people who just don't care how they look. And I agree, it's probably not a money making venture.

True, it may be over the top; it may be fading out like a shoe-shine stand by the subway station or airport. Most men travel in sneakers. But regarding the barber, some folks DOCARE how they look, even on vacation. Suppose you were running around before your cruise doing this, doing that and a haircut was the last thing on your agenda. It would be nice to get cleaned up a bit. But, there are people who just don't care how they look. And I agree, it's probably not a money making venture.

Seriously? Before a vacation I get a haircut. And though my head is not challenged for hair growth I can get through a week's cruise without needing a haircut.

My husband gets a shave and a line up every 3 days, many black men with close-shaved heads and neatly-trimmed facial hair do, they have no choice or it starts to look messy. So when we are on a 7 day vacation, he MUST find a barber at least once.:eek:

In the caribbean he usually finds one in a port like Jamaica or Grand Cayman, easy enough thing to find. He's never used the barber on the ship, way over-priced!:eek:

What the problem is that you are using getting a haircut as a example of getting cleaned up, My hair is on the long side and I am cleaned up. And I do care how I look, I just don't care what you think of how I look.

Being in the military and booking a 12 night cruise, I will need a cut half way through even if I go get one the day we leave. I also will be in my Mess Dress on the formal night and would hate to look like a hippy after a week without a hair cut, lol.

There have been times when DH has not had time to get a cut before we leave, so he gets one on board. Not ideal, but it beats the white line that would result from a cut at home afterward. It's really not as crazy as you make it sound.

By that logic, you could ask why anyone gets any spa service onboard. They're all far less on shore. But sometimes it's more fun to do it on vacation.

Archived