Making Cuba a Port of Call

CruiseHealing

If they ever lift the embargo the first people over there will be the classic car collectors.

Not really. Most of those cars' engines have been replaced by tractor engines.

It won't be long before a huge chunk of the cruise business gets out of crime-ridden Miami, and moves to Havana.

You do see the irony in that statement, right?

We know we can go now with any number of sponsored tours but would rather wait until we can cruise there.

And, just because at some point U.S. probably will lift the embargo/ban to casual travel, does that mean Cuba really wants all us Amerifcans hitting their harbor/shores?

How welcoming will they be?

This is not a 'judgement' question....... I ask because I truly have no clue. Maybe they're just fine with tourism from Canada and Europe etc

Having been to Cuba for 3 all inclusive resort vacations, my guess is that Americans would be welcomed with open arms.

Tourist workers are probably the highest paid jobs in Cuba and they love tourists. We all know that Americans tip well, why would the ordinary Cuban object? :) Leave the politicians out of the equation and I'm sure everything would be just fine.

Politics aside, people are people no matter where they're from. As an example, look at all the Russian hockey players now playing in the NHL. Nobody sees them as the big Communist monsters anymore. They get along with their team mates and are cheered whenever they make a good play.

At present the port of Havana has some limits that without a tremendous amount of money will only allow ships of about 200 meters--<12 meter draught and about 50-60 thousand tons.

Another factor is the number of passengers the U.S. approved tour agencies in Havana can handle. All passengers also must partake in the cultural exchange programs. These programs (non political), like current port excursions, are very broad and include things like the architecture of Old Havana, Cuban music, cuisine and dance..etc. The approved programs occupy a portion of the day leaving plenty of free time to explore on your own.

Not really the larger lines cup of tea at this time.

bosco

bosco

Ships can always tenderize

This is totally hypothetical, but hopefully it won't be soon. Would you be interested in having Cuba as a port of call? And if so, would you like to see more than one port of call in Cuba, you know different ports around the island? Maybe a cruise with just stop at Cuba ports. And would you be willing to pay a premium rate for the experience?

Please do not make this thread a politcl discussion.

I would love to stop at Cuba -- one or two ports would be great!!

My mother was there in the 20's and raved about it.

Ships can always tenderize

A major ascpect other than the physical size of the ship is the number of passengers.

The mandatory programs that the U.S. Treasury considers to be valid must provide people-to-people (non-governmental) contacts resulting from activities that allow individuals from the United States and individuals from Cuba to interact on a direct and more or less one on one basis. Remember that these restrictions for legal travel only affect U.S. Citizens.

Although there are many programs that fit the bill large groups would make direct and individual contact difficult to arrange. Walking tours, bus tours and the like are more on target giving us U.S. folks a better understanding of the people and the culture and vice versa the Cuban people a better understanding of ours.

Since the idea of this type of contact is new and is now only being done with a plane load of visitors at a time the logistics make it difficult at present to handle thousands of participants.

As to the future, only time will tell.

bosco

I'd love to visit Cuba and it is probably the main country that would tempt me with a cruise the Carribean. I will probably get there on a non-cruise trip soooner.

I didn't know the reason for the US/Cuba problems and read a little and I'm still not clear on the reasons for the ongoing animosity. Can anyone remember and perhaps outline it in a couple of lines.

I'd love to visit Cuba and it is probably the main country that would tempt me with a cruise the Carribean. I will probably get there on a non-cruise trip soooner.

I didn't know the reason for the US/Cuba problems and read a little and I'm still not clear on the reasons for the ongoing animosity. Can anyone remember and perhaps outline it in a couple of lines.

There is an economic embargo with Cuba. There are lots of ideas about why this is. All of the official reasons will not hold water. Our nation can hold a grudge. The embargo will be lifted when the Castros are dead.

No matter who is elected?

You think whoever the next President, the embargo will be lifted?

Every election, we hear the guy talk about lifting the embargo. Then he gets sworn in and we never hear any more about it. What info could the new guy be getting that he just forgets about it?

Hmmmmmm?

Some (European) lines already stop in Cuba; nothing stopping you from taking one of those cruises. Cuba would be very handy as we can fly non-stop to Cuba from Vancouver, but need to change planes to get anywhere in Florida.

What stops us is it is against the law for us to visit Cuba in that way. We didn't make the law but we do have to follow it.

Every election, we hear the guy talk about lifting the embargo. Then he gets sworn in and we never hear any more about it. What info could the new guy be getting that he just forgets about it?

Hmmmmmm?

In 2008 both democratic candidates said that they would lift the insane restrictions on visiting Cuba. Obama got elected and what do we have - nothing! No mention whatsoever about lifting the restrictions. As long as the Cubans living in mostly south Florida keep pressuring the federal government to not lift the embargo, it is not going to happen it appears. Good thing is that a lot of them are getting rather old and their numbers are decreasing. None too soon either! I have hope.

Neither would I but I was a little concerned when Chavez and Raul Castro both said they thought our President "is doing a fine job" in interviews so to me it's no different.

I'd love to go to Cuba but don't want to support a communist country.

I've heard from many Cuban friends here in Florida how beautiful the island is and it is considered part of the Caribbean.

Yes, I think that America is starting to wake up and smell the .... well the cigars. ;)

In 2008 both democratic candidates said that they would lift the insane restrictions on visiting Cuba. Obama got elected and what do we have - nothing! No mention whatsoever about lifting the restrictions.

Hmmmmmm?

It goes a lot further than just the President. I'm always baffled by the influence of the S. Florida Cuban population in this matter. This small cummunity, represented by Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen have a lot of teeth in this matter and for some reason, their influence over DC is very strong.

In 2008 both democratic candidates said that they would lift the insane restrictions on visiting Cuba. Obama got elected and what do we have - nothing! No mention whatsoever about lifting the restrictions. As long as the Cubans living in mostly south Florida keep pressuring the federal government to not lift the embargo, it is not going to happen it appears. Good thing is that a lot of them are getting rather old and their numbers are decreasing. None too soon either! I have hope.

Yep. They get elected and a coupla guys explain why the embargo is there. Then, we hear no more about it. When the Castros are dead, Cuba will be opened.

I'm surprised that nobody has explained why this loss of your freedom exists or what would need to change to have it reinstated.

Are you referring to the lack of our freedom to travel to Cuba? That has come up time and time again. Many people, like me, believe it is unconstitutional (U.S. Constitution) for our government to tell U.S. citizens we cannot travel somewhere and to make such travel a crime. Yet, like our politicians' promises to lift the embargo, the arguments always seem to just disappear. Cuban Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S. are permitted limited travel to Cuba, but citizens not of Cuban descent are held by criminal statutes. To make that more clear - the people keeping the embargo in place are allowed to travel there!!!! I think it's a damn shame and I can't believe this is still happening.

Archived