Aqua Class Pricing ---is it worth the $

Hlitner

Although I agree that AQ with the Blu was very nice I cannot imagine paying $65 a day per person for the category. $780 for a 12 day cruise per person? Of course I guess it depends "over what"? $780 more person over an inside or oceanview perhaps, but certainly not over a CC.

OP, IMO the $25 would be more in line with my limit.

I have yet to be on one where the difference was that much. First cruise on Solstice the difference was $50, that was a 7 night, so $700, and, yes, it was worth it. Since then we had a price difference of less than $40 and the 11 night Med cruise I just booked today is just $28 higher, well worth it. It's about Blu and if you're not spending any $$ on Spec. Rest. it's worth quite a bit, for us anyway. I really like the smaller venue, it becomes like a home away from home, never felt that way in the MDR.

It sounds like the value of Blu is totally worth the cabin price differential. But, there have been some comments lately that make me wonder about the AQ cabin locations -- each of them seems to have noise issues. Could it be that this was X's way to move some less desirable cabins?

We recently returned from the 11/26 Celebrity Eclipse sailing to the Eastern Caribbean. We booked two Aqua Class cabins (1507 and 1509) for me, my husband, and my adult step-daughter. My honest opinion about AC is that it's not better than Concierge Class which I've booked in the past. Although Blu is a quiet, less crowded restaurant, there are fewer menu choices and not much food on your plate to eat. I enjoy comfort foods, and Blu did not offer many entrees that appealed to me. I left hungry almost every night we ate there, and I made my way into the Ocean Cafe just an hour later for cake and ice cream. Blu is also very intimate. The tables are generally for two people, and it's very difficult to meet people and share conversation. If not for my family, I would have been very lonely on this cruise. On day two, Blu was noticeably empty between 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm. We ate in the Moonlight Sonata one night and I gorged myself. We also ate in the Tuscan Grill which was my favorite restaurant. AC does not provide special attention in the spa. No one in the spa will contact AQ guests. When stopping by the spa, we were not treated any differently than any other guest on the ship. I received no coupon book or discount on spa services. We asked lots of questions, and the spa staff only pointed us to free use of the Relaxation Room and steam rooms which did not appeal to us. We purchased three separate spa services, and none of us felt any value in what we received. I love spas and have been to some of the best, and this one is not in my top ten list. In the AQ stateroom, the only difference between AQ and CC is a white napsack with a small tube of chapstick and lemon-scented facial mist, a pair of large spa slippers, and use of a one-size-only robe. Every other amenity in AQ is the same as CC. My opinion is pick a CC stateroom and use the extra money to eat in the specialty restaurants. If you desire spa services, book them ahead of time or immediately upon boarding the ship. Spa services fill up quickly.

We do appreciate all the comments and probably should have added a few things to our original post. We are Elite so the extra credits have no meaning. As to Breakfast, we did enjoy breakfast in Blu, but actually had more of our breakfasts in Michaels since DW is not into big breakfasts (and in Michaels we get free cappucino, mimosas, bellinis, and bloody marys). We do agree with the postive comments regarding Blu (athough on our particular cruise the food was uneven in Blu). As to the small ship feel in Blu, although we understand the comment...we personally do prefer small ships when we want the small ship feel (our next cruise is a long voyage on the 800 passenger Prinsendam).

Although we would love to cruise in an AQ cabin on future cruises, our decision will be based on the price-point. If we can alternative dinners in the Tuscan, Murano, Qsine, and the Lawn for about the same price as Blu it would be a no-brainer for us. We would not miss the other amenities (ice tea, plush robe, neat shower, etc). The free bottled water was nice, but since we never pay extra for water (cruise ship tap water is quite fine for us) it is meaningless. The one perk we would miss are the foot rests on the verandah :)

Hank

The new deck 11 A1's have almost no cover at all so lack any privacy...and many of them are under the basketball court (probably the worst spot to have a cabin other than under the gym).

So do we book Aqua for Blu....or do we switch to our usual veranda/concierge for a better cabin location. The jury is out....

I am also concerned that the verandas are too exposed to sun and rain, but we are giving one a try this coming April. As to the basketball court, it possibly won't be a concern. I really wonder how much use it actually gets.

Here's the actual location on the ship... if this diagram is correct, you can see it's not directly above the A-1's. As far as I can tell, that area directly above will be an observation area or sundeck.

Infinitydecks11and12.jpg

I have only been on Celebrity once. Went on the Solstice for a 12 night Mediterranean cruise. Stayed in aquaclass (1642). Price was a bit less than a concierge class and considerably less than a suite. I stayed in a very large suite on the Costa Pacifica previously and found that we did not spend much time in our cabin. Thought that the price for the aquaclass cabin was worth the benefits. I used the spa several times but did not think that being an aquaclass passenger made any difference in service. Used the steam room once. Would have spent time in the relaxation room, but my Significant Other was not interested in it at all. Planning to go on a cruise on the Infinity in 2012 through the Panama Canal. Booking aquaclass because I do not want a cabin with a shower curtain. I am willing to pay plenty for a shower with glass doors. I do enjoy Blu but my SO is not as much of a foodie as I am. We would go down to Blu before it opened and check out the menu for the night. If my SO did not find the food appealing, we would head to the buffet (they had great sushi and we both do not mind buffets--I like being able to pick my portion sizes and getting a little bit of everything). I loved the portion sizes in Blu (especially after the staff realized that when I asked for a smaller portion I meant it). We often ate breakfast in Blu and definitely enjoyed it on the last morning. The buffet in the morning was far too chaotic--if we didn't eat in Blu we would often do room service on the balcony. I also enjoy trying the specialty restaurants (we did one night at each, Silk Harvest, Tuscan Grill and Murano). I look forward to trying Qsine. So, for me, the price of an aquaclass is a good deal as long as it is less than a suite. If it cost more than a suite, I would have to re-evaluate the benefits.

We have sailed once in Aqua and enjoyed the increased level of service and some of the food .But the desserts left a lot to be desired, tasteless and not

worth ordering in my opinion.

Breakfast is excellent and the fresh orange juice and muesli cart are the highlights. Funnily enough my other half did not care for the scrambled eggs in Blu but preferred the eggs in the MDR .

Would I do it again yes if the price were right .

I have been fortunate enought to have a suite (our last cruise ) and used Blu for breakfast on occassions and we were asked if we wanted to dine in Blu in the evening but as we were travelling with my sister and she is a very plain eater the menu was not to her taste.So I never understand the comment about suite guests not getting into Blu at night.

Cheers

Scotslizzy

I guess we are the odd man out :D

We have sailed only once in AQ on the Solstice. Select dining wasn't yet possible at that time. Although we liked Blu as a restaurant, both atmosphere and quality and presentation of the food, we most certain didn't like the fact that although we had a table for 2 it felt like we were seated at a table for 8! The lady next to me just didn't seem to understand that we had no interest in talking with her during the whole dinner. She really kept trying to get all 4 tables of 2 talking with each other.

We DO socialize, but since English is not our native language dinner is just one moment of the day we want to be on our own. A nice relaxing time before going to a lounge or bar and socialize again.

I've read however that on other S-class ships Blu is more spacious? And I guess select dining also makes it less crowded and gives more opportunities for choosing a nice quiet table.

We have sailed X twice and both times were in AQ.

There is one pert that seems to be a unknown to everyone, the special wellness classes. No one on the Soltice could tell us in April and on the Silhouette when we asked the room steward he said to ask the people in the Spa. The help in the spa told us that they were those seminars that are nothing more than a infomerical that is available to everyone. I asked at the Future Cruise desk about the perks in Blu. Donette Fletcher printed out the perks. I then pointed to the special wellness classes and she said "People on other cruises have asked me about that to. I don't know. I will email the home office." A few days later I seen her and she said it is probably something that shouldn't be on there because no one at the office can answer either. Very strange. I just don't underatand that if others have been asking on other cruises and we asked about it back in April on the Solstice that no one can give answer of what they really are. There are some other perks that don't amount to much and I pointed them out to her. She agreed and said that the main attraction is Blu. So if you don't think dining there is worth the extra than it is a waste.

There have been many threads on the AQ amenities and the Wellness Classes were discussed on this one and others: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1356705

Special programming is on the TV, and unless you like to meditate with 50 new best friends in the gym class, having the wellness classes/programs in your cabin on demand is a benefit. That said, Blu & access to Persian Garden are the bigger draw for us. The food and atmosphere in Blu are excellent, and as others have said, AQ is now the reason I choose Celebrity.

We recently completed a 12 day Silhouette Cruise in an Aqua Class cabin and really enjoyed the extra amenities (especially Blu). But we were able to book that cabin at a very good price (less then Concierge Class). But looking at some future cruises we noted that AQ cabins are often priced about $65 per passenger day more then a normal verandah cabin. That got us thinking about the price points. DW commented that it would make more sense to book a lower price verandah cabin and eat every dinner in one of the alternative restaurants (this would still be cheaper then the AQ cabin). She does raise an interesting point. Another benefit of the lower priced verandah cabins is that you can get a very good location...vs many of the AQ which are often have a dark balcony with the huge overhang looming overhead.

AFter some discussion DW and I think AQ is worth, at most, about $25 more per day and even that is debatable. Any thoughts?

Hank

We love X's food in the MDR. We did try the creps restaurant for $5, which was good. Prefer to buy more cruises than pay significantly more for marginal benefits.

I have only been on Celebrity once. Went on the Solstice for a 12 night Mediterranean cruise. Stayed in aquaclass (1642). Price was a bit less than a concierge class and considerably less than a suite. I stayed in a very large suite on the Costa Pacifica previously and found that we did not spend much time in our cabin. Thought that the price for the aquaclass cabin was worth the benefits. I used the spa several times but did not think that being an aquaclass passenger made any difference in service. Used the steam room once. Would have spent time in the relaxation room, but my Significant Other was not interested in it at all. Planning to go on a cruise on the Infinity in 2012 through the Panama Canal. Booking aquaclass because I do not want a cabin with a shower curtain. I am willing to pay plenty for a shower with glass doors. I do enjoy Blu but my SO is not as much of a foodie as I am. We would go down to Blu before it opened and check out the menu for the night. If my SO did not find the food appealing, we would head to the buffet (they had great sushi and we both do not mind buffets--I like being able to pick my portion sizes and getting a little bit of everything). I loved the portion sizes in Blu (especially after the staff realized that when I asked for a smaller portion I meant it). We often ate breakfast in Blu and definitely enjoyed it on the last morning. The buffet in the morning was far too chaotic--if we didn't eat in Blu we would often do room service on the balcony. I also enjoy trying the specialty restaurants (we did one night at each, Silk Harvest, Tuscan Grill and Murano). I look forward to trying Qsine. So, for me, the price of an aquaclass is a good deal as long as it is less than a suite. If it cost more than a suite, I would have to re-evaluate the benefits.

As far as I know, all cabins on S Class ships have showers with glass doors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There have been many threads on the AQ amenities and the Wellness Classes were discussed on this one and others: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1356705

Special programming is on the TV, and unless you like to meditate with 50 new best friends in the gym class, having the wellness classes/programs in your cabin on demand is a benefit. That said, Blu & access to Persian Garden are the bigger draw for us. The food and atmosphere in Blu are excellent, and as others have said, AQ is now the reason I choose Celebrity.

Thanks for the reply. My point is why do they list amenities and no one on the ship can tell you what they are? It is sad that the Manager of the Future Cruise Department tells you that others have asked and she doesn't know either. Since I have only sailed in AQ I don't know if those videos are also available to cabins in non AQ and if they are than they aren't a benefit exclusive to AQ.

I have also found that the price difference between cabin grades may be less as the cruise date gets closer. The reason is not because the price drops in AQ but because of the raise in price of the lower categories. When I booked my AQ the price difference between 2B and AQ was $400. As the cruise date got closer the price of 2B was now what I paid for AQ and the price of AQ went up $200. So the price differential was now only $200 but it was $ 200 more than what I paid. This is a way that the cruise lines manipulate the prices to sell what they want and to guarantee the early bookers the lowest price.

Although I agree that AQ with the Blu was very nice I cannot imagine paying $65 a day per person for the category. $780 for a 12 day cruise per person? Of course I guess it depends "over what"? $780 more person over an inside or oceanview perhaps, but certainly not over a CC.

OP, IMO the $25 would be more in line with my limit.

At an additional cost of $1560.00 for my wife and I, Blu must be one awesome dining experience.

At an additional cost of $1560.00 for my wife and I, Blu must be one awesome dining experience.

I would like to know what cruise this is...I've never seen that big a price difference for AQ. Perhaps it's a holiday sailing. As I said the cruise I just booked has a $28 difference...and yes, it's WELL worth that.

We recently completed a 12 day Silhouette Cruise in an Aqua Class cabin and really enjoyed the extra amenities (especially Blu). But we were able to book that cabin at a very good price (less then Concierge Class). But looking at some future cruises we noted that AQ cabins are often priced about $65 per passenger day more then a normal verandah cabin. That got us thinking about the price points. DW commented that it would make more sense to book a lower price verandah cabin and eat every dinner in one of the alternative restaurants (this would still be cheaper then the AQ cabin). She does raise an interesting point. Another benefit of the lower priced verandah cabins is that you can get a very good location...vs many of the AQ which are often have a dark balcony with the huge overhang looming overhead.

AFter some discussion DW and I think AQ is worth, at most, about $25 more per day and even that is debatable. Any thoughts?

Hank

Hello Hank,

I always enjoy your comments and this is exactly the same subject we discussed after we got of the Silhouette last Saturday. We also opted for AQ, since we had an incredible deal.

And we absolutely agreed that about $30.00/pp per day is what worth to pay for AQ.

As much as we enjoyed everything that AQ had to offer, there are only few things that we enjoyed the most and other stuff we could cruise without.

We liked the BLU, Persian Garden and Hydro Shower with jets, over sized towels were very nice.

Bad sparkling wine, 2 stems of flowers, fruit, water and ice tea - can be easily missed.

Being Elite, we enjoyed breakfast at Michael's club as much as Blu. We are not big breakfast people.

LOVE AQUA CLASS! I have not been on an X cruise for a couple of years, but being in AQ reminded my wife and I what cruising was like in the 80s. The little extras like fruit in the room, flavored Iced Teas, etc. were great. We loved Blu for all the previous reasons mentioned. In addition, the staff took those extra steps that make it unique. For example, the staff notice that we were becoming friends with 3 other couples who were eating at the same night. On the 4th night, they had a large table ready for all of us for the rest of the cruise. Another example was when my wife and another lady did not like what was on the Blu menu. The waiter produced a main dinning room menu which he was all too happy to order for the ladies. It looks like many did not know you could order food from the main dinning room menu?

As far as I know, all cabins on S Class ships have showers with glass doors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am planning to sail on the Infinity and it seems that many of the cabins on that ship have shower curtains. I am guessing that the newly installed aquaclass cabins on deck 11 will have the shower doors.

When I grow up, I want to be just like jackdiamond. (sorry, Jack, for taking liberties)

Attitude is everything. If breakfast and dinner in a peaceful, subdued (until we show-up) environment is a priority, than Blu is for you. The added incentive is that the food and service is awesome. (grammar problems?)

One poster remarked that she left hungry. Darling, the servers will supersize your meal, or get you something not on the menu; just ask.

Our cabin (Eclipse 1591) was perfect. It was under the pool deck, and in the morning you could hear the deck chairs bouncing, so I didn't need an alarm.

My spousal unit did the spa and other amenities, which I did not this time. I never ate lunch, or did much of the things that I had intended.

I was having too much fun with new friends, and just plain ran out of time. Getting ready for next cruise (???Eclipse Dec 1, 2012).

Additional cost? Don't know; don't argue with wife.

P.S. - please, don't book AQ. Leave room for the rest of us.

W

Hubby and I have learned to enjoy and embrace the MDR menus and make them our own.

We have booked AQ for the first time and I am worried about the Blu menus. From what I can see the menus move from "meat and potatoes" style to fine dining - not really our style.

Will Blu really be flexible enough to get us the meals we want if the daily menu just isn't to our liking.

We thought we'd try Blu at the urging of Chef Pier Paolo and our vacation planner - now we're not really sure.

Thoughts?

Judy

(I'm already looking at upgrading to a suite!)

when i grow up, i want to be just like jackdiamond. (sorry, jack, for taking liberties)

attitude is everything. If breakfast and dinner in a peaceful, subdued (until we show-up) environment is a priority, than blu is for you. The added incentive is that the food and service is awesome. (grammar problems?)

one poster remarked that she left hungry. Darling, the servers will supersize your meal, or get you something not on the menu; just ask.

Our cabin (eclipse 1591) was perfect. It was under the pool deck, and in the morning you could hear the deck chairs bouncing, so i didn't need an alarm.

My spousal unit did the spa and other amenities, which i did not this time. I never ate lunch, or did much of the things that i had intended.

I was having too much fun with new friends, and just plain ran out of time. Getting ready for next cruise (???eclipse dec 1, 2012).

Additional cost? Don't know; don't argue with wife.

P.s. - please, don't book aq. Leave room for the rest of us.

W

lol

I was recently booked on AQ class for Equinox in April... The price at booking (and currently) was $1,699 (plus taxes) per person... I recently started having second thoughts about the value of the AQ class and whether or not I really wanted to pay that much just for the few added perks... Sure Blu sounds great but I've never had a problem with MDR on any ship and we want to visit some specialty restaurants too.. and from the reviews it sounds like a party of 6 is going to have a hard time getting lounge beds in the persian garden area etc and we are much more likely to be by the pool...

The current price is $1,249 for a verandah (plus tax)(senior/military discount). A few days ago we made the decision to downgrade. Thats a $900 difference per couple, we are going with 2 other couples so a savings reduction of $2,700 for the 3 cabins. Also, when we re-booked, we were able to score $915 of perks (OBCs and pre paid gratuities) between the three cabins so basically a total savings of $3,615...

I think we really made the right decision and that $3,615 will be well spent on specialty restaurants and excursions etc... I'm VERY happy with the decision

We recently returned from the 11/26 Celebrity Eclipse sailing to the Eastern Caribbean. We booked two Aqua Class cabins (1507 and 1509) for me, my husband, and my adult step-daughter. My honest opinion about AC is that it's not better than Concierge Class which I've booked in the past. Although Blu is a quiet, less crowded restaurant, there are fewer menu choices and not much food on your plate to eat. I enjoy comfort foods, and Blu did not offer many entrees that appealed to me. I left hungry almost every night we ate there, and I made my way into the Ocean Cafe just an hour later for cake and ice cream. Blu is also very intimate. The tables are generally for two people, and it's very difficult to meet people and share conversation. If not for my family, I would have been very lonely on this cruise. On day two, Blu was noticeably empty between 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm. We ate in the Moonlight Sonata one night and I gorged myself. We also ate in the Tuscan Grill which was my favorite restaurant. AC does not provide special attention in the spa. No one in the spa will contact AQ guests. When stopping by the spa, we were not treated any differently than any other guest on the ship. I received no coupon book or discount on spa services. We asked lots of questions, and the spa staff only pointed us to free use of the Relaxation Room and steam rooms which did not appeal to us. We purchased three separate spa services, and none of us felt any value in what we received. I love spas and have been to some of the best, and this one is not in my top ten list. In the AQ stateroom, the only difference between AQ and CC is a white napsack with a small tube of chapstick and lemon-scented facial mist, a pair of large spa slippers, and use of a one-size-only robe. Every other amenity in AQ is the same as CC. My opinion is pick a CC stateroom and use the extra money to eat in the specialty restaurants. If you desire spa services, book them ahead of time or immediately upon boarding the ship. Spa services fill up quickly.

You will have to be Elite to get Spa coupons, but even those are nothing to get excited about.

Doing c1 stern cabin overlooking the stern of the ship.. have cruised 20 times before but had never had such a cabin... Anyone give us some pointers///pro or cons

thanks

- Don't fall over the railing

- Bring a good fishing rod with very strong line.

I am baffled by what other information one could give.....

Archived