Does Celebrity offer "Chef's Table" like Princess?

sewblessed

Hi Tom:)...that was back in January and I confess, I never went

to a special dinner and honestly I think I forgot to ask:eek:

BUT I am sailing this Saturday on Summit and this time? I am

going to ask:D

Great - just post back here regarding your findings (and have a GREAT time!)

Tom

I attended my first " Chefs table " on the millennium last month.

It was held in the kitchen , just outside of Olympic. It was expensive, $199 pp. The food was from the Olympic menu for the most part, and not exceptional. The wines were higher end , Kistler Chardonnay etc. It was nice to dine with Evan the food and beverage mgr, and meet the head chef.

The book they give you must weigh 5 lbs, have fun packing that!

I'm glad I did it once, but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

It was held in the kitchen , just outside of Olympic. It was expensive, $199 pp. The food was from the Olympic menu for the most part, and not exceptional. The wines were higher end , Kistler Chardonnay etc. It was nice to dine with Evan the food and beverage mgr, and meet the head chef.

For $199pp to get food similar to what you'd get in Olympic, I likely would not try that again either.

I recall our first Celebrity cruise (2008) - when we dined in Murano and opted for the wine pairing meal (something like $110pp) accompanying the filet was Château Lafite Rothschild. The music in the room was provided by a harpist. That was an impressive first experience with Celebrity. On subsequent Celebrity trips, of course, those things have been eliminated... :(

Tom

Hi; my two cents worth, I believe that Carnival started the Chef's Table a few years ago. I may be wrong but anyway I have attened about a half a dozen. Carnival, Celebrity and Princess. Princess being the last and the absolute best. I do think the price is getting out hand and would reconsider doing it again. I also think that they are getting better.

Jim:):)

Hi; my two cents worth, I believe that Carnival started the Chef's Table a few years ago. I may be wrong but anyway I have attened about a half a dozen. Carnival, Celebrity and Princess. Princess being the last and the absolute best. I do think the price is getting out hand and would reconsider doing it again. I also think that they are getting better.

We've done 5 on Carnival, 4 with the "old" (fleet wide) menu and 1 now with the new menu. We both enjoyed the old menu, and thought the new menu was a letdown.

I have read several reports of very good Chef's Table experiences on Princess (where the chef on each ship actually makes their own menu... imagine that, LOL!) and look forward to trying it in a couple of weeks on the Caribbean Princess -- assuming we make the cut, so to speak. It is apparently a lot more difficult to get spots for theirs as opposed to Carnival. Princess supposedly gives priority to suite guests, so we've got that going for us - though I'm not sure how that all is worked out.

Tom

We've done 5 on Carnival, 4 with the "old" (fleet wide) menu and 1 now with the new menu. We both enjoyed the old menu, and thought the new menu was a letdown.

I have read several reports of very good Chef's Table experiences on Princess (where the chef on each ship actually makes their own menu... imagine that, LOL!) and look forward to trying it in a couple of weeks on the Caribbean Princess -- assuming we make the cut, so to speak. It is apparently a lot more difficult to get spots for theirs as opposed to Carnival. Princess supposedly gives priority to suite guests, so we've got that going for us - though I'm not sure how that all is worked out.

Tom

Tom when you get on the ship go directly to the MDR and sign up its first come on the list they may have two Chefs tables if there are enough people. We leave on Regent for a 10 day Caribbbean cruise next week.

Tom when you get on the ship go directly to the MDR and sign up its first come on the list they may have two Chefs tables if there are enough people. We leave on Regent for a 10 day Caribbbean cruise next week.

Thanks. That's my plan.. in this case there's a reason to take advantage of the priority embarkation and get on asap!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Tom

Thanks. That's my plan.. in this case there's a reason to take advantage of the priority embarkation and get on asap!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Tom

Hi -We're going to be on Constellation cruise same time as you, but this note is about your upcoming Princess cruise. Be sure (Cheryl) to bring a pair of closed-toe shoes. You cannot wear sandals or even peep-toes to Chef's Table. I looked "lovely" wearing my running shoes with a dress since that's all I had with closed toes. Chef's Table is a definitely-don't-miss-it event on Princess. I believe price is now $95 per person. (I don't think we'll go on Celebrity. Way too pricey when there are so many good specialty restaurants aboard.) Enjoy, Carol.

Hi -We're going to be on Constellation cruise same time as you, but this note is about your upcoming Princess cruise. Be sure (Cheryl) to bring a pair of closed-toe shoes. You cannot wear sandals or even peep-toes to Chef's Table. I looked "lovely" wearing my running shoes with a dress since that's all I had with closed toes. Chef's Table is a definitely-don't-miss-it event on Princess. I believe price is now $95 per person. (I don't think we'll go on Celebrity. Way too pricey when there are so many good specialty restaurants aboard.) Enjoy, Carol.

Thanks for the tip. Yep, it's the same way on Carnival. I think the only thing I've read about the Princess Chef's Table set-up that is less appealing than those on Carnival is that it's in the MDR, as I understand it. I enjoyed it more on the (Carnival) Dream where it was in the galley. On their other ships they have it generally in the Library or Disco - a more private affair.

Tom

Thanks for the tip. Yep, it's the same way on Carnival. I think the only thing I've read about the Princess Chef's Table set-up that is less appealing than those on Carnival is that it's in the MDR, as I understand it. I enjoyed it more on the (Carnival) Dream where it was in the galley. On their other ships they have it generally in the Library or Disco - a more private affair.

Tom

On our Princess cruise, the first part with lots of hors d'oeurvres and champagne was in the galley (requiring closed-toe shoes) followed by dinner in the MDR but set-off from other tables.

On our Princess cruise, the first part with lots of hors d'oeurvres and champagne was in the galley (requiring closed-toe shoes) followed by dinner in the MDR but set-off from other tables.

Do you recall if it was held on a formal night, port day, or sea day by any chance? Just trying to zero in on when it's typically offered - as Crown Grill, Sabatini's, and the UBD are all on my list as well!

Tom

Do you recall if it was held on a formal night, port day, or sea day by any chance? Just trying to zero in on when it's typically offered - as Crown Grill, Sabatini's, and the UBD are all on my list as well!

Tom

Sorry, don't remember. It was not a formal night, though. They held two, because demand was so high. Feel free to ask me any questions about your upcoming Princess cruise at clo6216@yahoo.com - We alternate between Celebrity and Princess cruises. Each has it's advantages. Carol

Sorry, don't remember. It was not a formal night, though. They held two, because demand was so high. Feel free to ask me any questions about your upcoming Princess cruise at clo6216@yahoo.com - We alternate between Celebrity and Princess cruises. Each has it's advantages. Carol

Thanks,

Tom

My husband and I were at the same Chef's Table with Kevin. I second his sentiment about doing it once - that is enough for me, it's not worth the cost to do again when they are serving you the same food that is available elsewhere on the ship (this was the most disappointing aspect to me). We paid $279 as a couple. The people and conversation was the most interesting - the Food & Beverage Manager Even Willemse was at our table as well as a diverse group of passengers. They only served champagne and 2 wines. The other one was La Braccesca (Antinori) 2008, I didn't catch the varietal.

I posted a review with photos on my blog: http://rlshome.com/blog/?p=3389

My husband and I were at the same Chef's Table with Kevin. I second his sentiment about doing it once - that is enough for me, it's not worth the cost to do again when they are serving you the same food that is available elsewhere on the ship (this was the most disappointing aspect to me). We paid $279 as a couple. The people and conversation was the most interesting - the Food & Beverage Manager Even Willemse was at our table as well as a diverse group of passengers. They only served champagne and 2 wines. The other one was La Braccesca (Antinori) 2008, I didn't catch the varietal.

I posted a review with photos on my blog: http://rlshome.com/blog/?p=3389

Good review - thanks!

I believe at this point I'll not pursue the Chef's Table on Celebrity. When we dine we always enjoy a private table. The Chef's Table is an exception, though when it's basically the same food you can find elsewhere onboard, I don't see the value for us - as we are not into talking through a meal with complete strangers. That's just us. If it's an inventive menu, that's a different matter.

Thanks,

Tom

I'd have to agree with your on that one. We asked about a Chef's Table on the Summit back in June and we were the only people who inquired about it so they didn't do one. They suggested I do the "cook with the chef" thing, which I did and loved it. They also give you that huge book at the end of the event and WOW was it a b**** to get home. We're on the EQ next week and will again look for a Chef's Table experience.

I also must agree with others who posted the positive reviews about the Princess Chef's Table. VERY VERY VERY good! Better than the one we did on the Oasis OTS last year by far.

$199 pp sounds a little steep and we may or may not do it at that price. Still, I'd love to try it once.

We have done the Chef's Table on Princess twice - didn't get in on the 3rd try. Both were excellent but way too much food.

The last one was the most interesting only because one of guests insisted on telling all the family dirt, from child abuse to suicide! The woman next to me was directly across from the guy doing this and I just didn't know how to respond - I was astounded! I simply turned to face the other direction and started talking to person on the other side of me. After we left the table, we gathered outside the dining room and I asked her if she'd ever heard anything like that before and mentioned that I didn't know how to respond so began talking to the person on the other side of me. She said she noticed that and that "you suck!".:D She was laughing when she said it so no hard feelings. But really, how do you respond to something like that??:eek:

Hi:).....I am on SUMMIT now (well, St Thomas to be exact) and I did

the Chef's Table this week and yes, it was pricey but I am glad I did

it:D....and they were more than helpful with my request......I didn't

want to carry that book home with me so they issued me a credit for

the amount. Sailing solo, it would have been 199.00 but they gave

me credit for (59.95).

I have to say there was a seafood stew course (that or salad) and

it was one of THE MOST delicious dishes I have ever eaten:D....I would

have been happy with that and some crusty bread;)

I will post more next week but suffice to say, I would recommend it

at least to try once!

me credit for (59.95).

at least to try once!

Lois

I am so glad that you finally got to try the Chef's Table. Thank you so much for taking the time from your cruise to post the information. Enjoy the rest of your time on board.

I was so pleased to read that you had something not normally on the menu. So many reports recently have said that the food was just the same as usually served in the speciality restaurants. That is what has happened recently with the wine dinners and, IMHO, ruin them. Aslo glad on feedback about the credit for the book. We already have it and I was sure that they would make an adjustment but it is good to hear that they do.

Sue

Princess was the first to do the Chef's Table dinners (they won an award for it a few years back as an "innovative" offering from one of the cruise industry groups).

I enjoyed the experience on Princess (back when it was fairly new and $75), especially the hors d'ouvres in the galley, but I don't think any of the ships offer what is a true "chef's table" in the way that land restaurants do. There appear to be 2-3 "set" menus that are offered, not a true chef's choice. I'm not sure I'd do it again, and definitely not for the $140/pp that Celebrity charges.

me credit for (59.95).

at least to try once!

I'm looking forward to your review Lois.

Mary Lou

Archived