Barefoot on Deck?

hiram

Is it okay to go barefoot on the ship except for dining room?

Outdoors, the deck may be very hot but you can go barefoot. Once inside, no one will stop you from being barefoot in the hallways. Public rooms are different and you should wear something on your feet.

You want to talk about germs, how about walking around carpeting in the hallways that 100s of other have walked on the same day.

The decks will get hot and on the Horizon they still had wood decks.

Pack a small pair of flip flops, its better than nothing.

Of course, it makes difference to me what you do. I am just giving you my opinion.

Barefoot in the pool area, yes, anywhere else with the exception of your room, definitely not. Would you want to walk on floors/carpets barefoot where literally thousands of people have walked with who-knows-what on their shoes?

I, personally would not go barefoot. What if you stepped on something?? That could make for a very uncomfortable and painful cruise. There is a lot that you are not going to want to miss and with a very sore foot that could be possible. Why take the chance?? Flip flops are almost like wearing nothing!!!!!! :)

I often like to go barefoot, but would avoid any dining locations...but my real reason to comment was to offer more caution, on sunburn. If your tootsies have been hiding all winter, even if you wear open sandles or flipflops - you run a decent chance of sunburn. Don't forget the sunscreen: ears, feet, elbows. All those odd little places.

Once in Cancun, we took a catamaran excursion for one of the first trips. We sat on the forward cabin, with our bare feet dangling above the white deck. We did put sunscreen on the tops of our feet, but never considered the bottom. After the 40min boat ride, the BOTTOMs of our feet were sorely burned from the reflected light off the boat's deck and water below. Ouch for the next several days.

hiram,

Around the pool it is ok, but make sure you don't get splinters and wash your feet afterwards. Being barefoot anywhere else on the ship just isn't healthy in my opinion. It shouldn't matter if it is against ship rules or not, just not healthy. I think a cheap pair of flip flops would come in handy.

I ran in bare feet (at times) with Princess. What is the difference in bare feet on the ship and bare feet outside in the grass?

That was kind of the point of my whole question. Some people wear shoes all the time, but I hate wearing shoes. I only put shoes on when I get ready to go somewhere and take them off the moment I get inside my house. I don't want to be the only person barefoot, and since it's my first cruise, didn't want to commit a faux pas.

It is not a very good idea to go barefoot especially since the decks are hot and can burn your feet. Although, if you don't walk in the sun then your feet will not be burned. No one has ever said anything when walking around halls of the ship but it's definitly not a good idea. Also, what is something was on the ground like glass or something? It is not a good idea to go through the buffet barefoot either because there could be glass or something broken on the floor. So, i would say that you should wear sandals :)

You would not want anything to happen to you like get glass in your foot would you? Well, i don't think so since it is your cruise and your time to have fun.

• 11 years later...

I know this thread is ancient but I just feel like stirring the pot a l'il bit.

My opinion is, why not? As long as one's feet are healthy, then, aside from a little dirt which can be washed away, there really is nothing to worry about. Far more pathogens are spread by bare hands than bare feet.

Rep

I ran in bare feet (at times) with Princess. What is the difference in bare feet on the ship and bare feet outside in the grass?

Snakes and fully digested dog food.

Edited by Cuizer2

At home I go barefoot most of the time if I'm not at work, but not on a ship for a few reasons

1. The deck can get damn hot

2. The deck can get real slippery

3. There can be bits of debri on the deck, tine slivers of glass etc

4. Fungal infections

In the grass you will be unlikely to contract the highly contagious virus that causes painful plantar warts. The damp area surrounding the pool area could be a fertile breeding ground for this virus just as public showers and locker rooms can be.

If you ever develop a plantar wart (most often on the bottom of your foot), it can become painful even to walk. it is akin to walking on pebbles or small stones. The medical treatment to remove plantar warts is painful too. My sister had one removed a few years ago. She told me she was crying from the pain.

I wear flip flops even in the shower of our cabin. Going barefoot all over the ship is just asking for plantar warts because if anyone who has the condition is also barefoot, they can spread the virus from their feet to yours.

Is it okay to go barefoot on the ship except for dining room?

So, you want to walk around, barefoot, on the same decks that have been trodden by hundreds or thousands (depending on the size of your ship) of other folks. Perhaps they spilled sticky soda, or maybe a glass was broken (with some slivers remaining), etc. If you choose to walk barefoot, other then in dining venues, nobody is going to stop you. They assume you are old enough to make your own decision. But if your feet get badly cut, infected, etc. do not expect to collect any damages.

The other issue, mentioned above, has to do with heat. Open decks, that bake in the sun, can become quite hot (depending on the ship and surface). You can actually get a nasty burn if not careful....in which case you can go the ship's physician who will charge your more then $100 to tell you, "you are an idiot! why were you walking barefoot."

Hank

Basic rule in virtually every eating venue: "No shirt, no shoes = no service". - so dining rooms and cafeterias are obviously out. Lounges and corridors are similar to hotels as far as heavy use - would you wander around a hotel's public spaces barefoot?

Around a pool or spa it would make sense - but elsewhere it is really a kind of stupid idea if you take the time to think of the surfaces on which you would be walking.

I like to go bare foot on ship during the day, and have never had a problem from ships staff. They don't like you going into bars and dining rooms in bare feet though. Been stopped a few times and told I'd need to put footwear on if I wanted to go a bar or food area.

I know this thread is ancient but I just feel like stirring the pot a l'il bit.

My opinion is, why not? As long as one's feet are healthy, then, aside from a little dirt which can be washed away, there really is nothing to worry about. Far more pathogens are spread by bare hands than bare feet.

Rep

YOU may have healthy feet, but what about the 3000+ others who are walking on the same floors? Warts, athletes foot or any of a number of foot diseases can be caught. Not only that but who knows what you could be stepping on such as food and beverages. Not a pleasant thought.