Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Previous posters have already shown that the video is FALSE, it is not the Concordia, it is another ship and this video was posted on YouTube nearly a year ago.

STLPilot, I can completely understand your very mixed feelings about your upcoming cruise. Safe travels to you and your wife, and I hope you will update along the way if you are able to.

Yes, I know that now. But the furniture is still flying around and it is still scary. It is not false, it just isn't about the Concordia. Still happened though. Just not in this instance but perhaps if was a large enough hit, then it is a possibility here.

Oh my gosh, that YouTube is very scary with all the furniture flying around.

This You Tube video is not of the Concordia. It is of the Pacific Sun during heavy seas. Search You Tube for "Pacific Sun Cruise liner in very heavy seas" and you will see what I mean.

Its hard to believe that I can go buy a 20 dollar fish finder that tells me the depth of the water around me when I go fishing, yet we have a modern cruise ship hitting a rock and almost completely sinking. Surely this ship has some sort of sonar to indicate water depth. Maybe electrical problems knocked out the navagation tools on the ship and she was unaware of the rock. If so, a complete redesign should be done on all ships to ensure the navagation system is always working.

It does seem odd doesn't it, I thought the same thing when speaking with the Staff Captain on NCL Epic and he told us they do not have sonar on the ship.

To me, the key question is why was the captain trying to get the ship into shallow water in the first place. The reason I ask is that if there was a serious problem on board, the proper protocol is to head towards shallow water ASAP. That is the only rational reason for any decision to take the ship on the course it took. If there was a reason to head to shallow water, the decision to go thru that passage wasn't a bad one...the charts show that it's shallow, but deep enough and wide enough....and the charts show a very shallow shelf just to the left as you go thru the passage (which he apparently hit). Possibly there are uncharted rocks in that area, but given the number of charted rocks, I think he hit that shallow shelf. Obviously, they'll find what he hit.

If there was no problem on board causing a safety move to shallow water, then they just missed their planned course which is inept (pick your words). There are fail safe checks, just in case the instruments aren't working....and there must be backup battery power to the instruments or the ship was designed poorly. Throwing the book at them (or more) is appropriate...perhaps the designer, builder, but also the Costa individuals assigned to the bridge.

Note: The water around the island is pretty deep, so if they wanted to cruise close to the island to make it more interesting for the passengers, that's the captain/cruise line's perogative....and they would not have gone anywhere near that passage they took.

This is NOT footage from the Concordia and you know it. It is immature and irresponsible of you to do this. I've reported you to Cruise Critic and I hope others will, too.

What a jerk you are.

why is there so much hate against the original poster? sure the poster could have worded it better and given more info instead of "this video gives an indication..." but in no way did they say it was video from the accident iirc.

Or... maybe the OP didn't know that was old footage from the Pac Sun? *shrug*

What's with all the whining on here? That aside, thank you Cruise Critiquers for staying abreast of this tragedy. You guys are nearly in sync with the info coming across the Italian wires.

No the last I read three were dead, 14 hurt and some were still missing.

http://www.agi.it/english-version/italy/elenco-notizie/201201141252-cro-ren1026-costa_concordia_runs_aground_off_giglio_3_dead_14_hurt

Get your facts straight.

Canadian Karebear, with all due respect, your post is rather harsh. Italian Guest made their first post over 24 hours ago as the news was breaking. At that time the media reports were that all passengers were safe. It's only as the day has gone on today that the terrible news about fatalities has become known.

I'm leaving NYC > ROME in the morning to board Serena @ Civi this Wed.

Both myself and my wife have been very excited for this trip for last couple months.

But now, feels kind of weird.

I know about the odds of this happening twice in the week, but most of the excitement has gone away. Strange ...

Not so strange.

Many cruisers will be thinking about the unthinkable this weekend.

:D Who feels like making a booking right now?

Did anyone book that cruise today?

probably a few

CCL stock down first thing Monday morning?

They (American news) are saying that the impact occurred well into second seating dining, between 9:20 and 9:45 as per passenger, crew and emergency notification information.... That puts the collision in OPEN WATER, not between the rocks or near the island. The turn towards the island would have occurred AFTER the collision, and the navigation between the rocks literally hours later.

I don't know how accurate their info is, of course, but if it's true that means that the collision was in open water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we can keep politics out of this, could we please keep religion out of it too? Let us all think good thoughts about the victims and the survivors, and hope that the cause comes out and is prevented in future.

I myself prefer to say a prayer and keep positive thoughts and don't need anyone to tell me otherwise..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

either way if it is true i do believe that the captain is not to jump ship! I do believe he is in a bit of trouble!!! Very sad t hat anybody had to lose their life. Just have to realize that everyone on the ship t hat works really doesnt have any idea what to do in a real emergency! They are trained to make beds serve food and drinks!!!

Canadian Karebear, with all due respect, your post is rather harsh. Italian Guest made their first post over 24 hours ago as the news was breaking. At that time the media reports were that all passengers were safe. It's only as the day has gone on today that the terrible news about fatalities has become known.

I read back through the information on line, and it seems when the tragedy happened they did not know if everyone was safe as there were still lots of passengers missing.

My post wasn't intended to be harsh. It made me go back to my information to seek that information out and nothing I read lead me to believe that ALL passengers were reported safe.

Do you have a link to that?

I can't find one.

everyone on the ship that works really doesnt have any idea what to do in a real emergency!

Beg to differ. Everyone is trained to do their job when things go wrong. It may be only one job (directing traffic, for instance), but they have a role to play other than being the perfect hosts and that comes first in their training.

either way if it is true i do believe that the captain is not to jump ship! I do believe he is in a bit of trouble!!! Very sad t hat anybody had to lose their life. Just have to realize that everyone on the ship t hat works really doesnt have any idea what to do in a real emergency! They are trained to make beds serve food and drinks!!!

I believe every employees those sail must go thru intensive emergency training and receive certification before getting on board, and they also do evacuation training every week.

They also have each assigned roll they must perform during evacuation.

Well that's how danish passenger ships are doing it anyways.

I am so glad that they found those 2 people who were still in the ship. I hope that everyone who believes in prayer will pray with me that if there are others trapped in the ship that they will be able to find them quickly and that they will not be seriously injured. To me this is the most important thing right now. I am sure it would be very easy for people to be trapped in there.

This has certainly caused my husband & I to rethink some things we do when we cruise from now on. It has really been an eye-opener but I sure hate it happened.

They (American news) are saying that the impact occurred well into second seating dining, between 9:20 and 9:45 as per passenger, crew and emergency notification information.... That puts the collision in OPEN WATER, not between the rocks or near the island. The turn towards the island would have occurred AFTER the collision, and the navigation between the rocks literally hours later.

I am not sure this trace (from AIS signal) has been given on the thread:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?oldmmsi=247158500&zoom=10&olddate=1/13/2012%209:02:00%20PM

Unfortunately, the trace only start at 9:21 PM (20:21 on the map), but at that time, the ship is already heading toward the island (at 15 knots).

Even more unfortunately, there is no signal between 9:37 and 9:53, so it cannot disprove (nor prove) the traces given by the turkish info site referred earlier in the thread, showing the ship between the rocks. So either the collision was well before 9:21, or it was just between 9:37 and 9:53.

With this trace, the scenario by Capt_BJ makes perfect sense.

My thoughts to all the victims.

Originally Posted by mainelycruising viewpost.gif

Does anyone know whether cruise ships have some sort of 'black box' that records everything on the bridge and in engineering? This information will reveal if human error was to blame.

And here it is being retrieved.

1133205446_blkackbox.jpg.8e1c4093f158f6510baf7ad8d6e93a10.jpg

Saints fan's are blowing up message boards thinking they are ESPN analysts.

Some Cruisers blowing up message boards thinking they are NTSB.

Thoughts and prayers to those missing and those who lost their lives.

Exactly.

Some of the analysis is very insightful. I have learned some things I never knew about navigation, and the inner workings of a large cruise ship.

Most of it though is pure speculation, misleading, and garbage.

This is NOT footage from the Concordia and you know it. It is immature and irresponsible of you to do this. I've reported you to Cruise Critic and I hope others will, too.

What a jerk you are.

I think if you were to re read his post he said that this may be what it was like on board, not that it was footage from the ship.

Not so strange.

Many cruisers will be thinking about the unthinkable this weekend.

:D Who feels like making a booking right now?

Did anyone book that cruise today?

probably a few

CCL stock down first thing Monday morning?

I am booking (on the sister series ship the CONQUEST, no less) next Friday for November. I got off the Conquest last Sunday, also. This incident hasn't deterred me ONE BIT. Not one tiny bit. I still believe cruising to be one of the safest traveling methods ever and this doesn't change it at all. Things happen. As horrible as this event is, it's inevitable that events like this do and will happen in ALL forms of transportation. All we can do is be humbled by the tragedy of it and sympathetic to those affected and proud of those who kept the numbers as low as they are and learn what we can from it to better the future.

And to be frank, shame on anyone who places blame on anyone in this situation with out knowing the facts, especially you "deck officer." You know nothing of the events and have no authority to lay blame and to racially profile your blame is disgusting! Not to mention... We can all claim what we would do in a situation like this but until you are in it you have no clue how you would react. I have seen grown men of the highest regard throw women aside to jump on a rescue boat, and I have seen a convicted felon literally give his life to save a complete stranger and even more surprises during hurricane Katrina, none of them expected reactions, but all of them caused by panic. Do not attempt to chastise people for their actions in this situation as you have not been in that situation to earn the privilege. (Sorry to the other readers for having to read my rant, but I couldn't reserve my comment on this one.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure this trace (from AIS signal) has been given on the thread:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?oldmmsi=247158500&zoom=10&olddate=1/13/2012%209:02:00%20PM

Unfortunately, the trace only start at 9:21 PM (20:21 on the map), but at that time, the ship is already heading toward the island (at 15 knots).

Even more unfortunately, there is no signal between 9:37 and 9:53, so it cannot disprove (nor prove) the traces given by the turkish info site referred earlier in the thread, showing the ship between the rocks. So either the collision was well before 9:21, or it was just between 9:37 and 9:53.

With this trace, the scenario by Capt_BJ makes perfect sense.

My thoughts to all the victims.

If you look at this posting you will see that the Concordia changed course just before. There appears to be another ship directly in front of Concordia before the course was changed. not sure if that was what caused the ship to head directly towards the island.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1548814

Archived