Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

This video is from the Carnival Paradise, May 2009, when a supply pipe to the pool burst. It flooded the main dining room (named "Elation"). The MDR was closed for the last few days of the cruise. Apparently the watertight doors closed and there was 2.5 feet of water in the MDR! Just wanted you all to be aware that the above video is NOT from the Concordia.

This thread discusses it. The second video is of the flood in the dining room. That's A LOT of water!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1009829&highlight=paradise+flood

Someone stole the stairs video and renamed it or something.

Robin

This video is from the Carnival Paradise, May 2009, when a supply pipe to the pool burst. It flooded the main dining room (named "Elation"). The MDR was closed for the last few days of the cruise. Apparently the watertight doors closed and there was 2.5 feet of water in the MDR! Just wanted you all to be aware that the above video is NOT from the Concordia.

This thread discusses it. The second video is of the flood in the dining room. That's A LOT of water!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1009829&highlight=paradise+flood

Robin

Okay -- I am all straightened out now.

Thanks for getting the right information.

Wonder if this lady was the reason that they all fell into the lifeboat?

To hide her identity?

Indeed KK - just sicking - married with a child and showing women (pretty sure there are probably more than just the one being reported) around the bridge? Too bad so many people have to suffer because of an idiot's mid-life crisis. This horrible event just keeps getting worse and worse with every report..... ug

When you google Costa Concordia they still are showing ------

Costa Cruise Ships, Costa Concordia Cruise, Cruise Vacation

www.costa***********/usa/costa_concordia.html

Cruise Ships at Costa Cruise. Experience the Costa Concordia cruise ship for a cruise vacation you will never forget.

That is really a commentary on their management. "A cruise vacation you will never forget" indeed.

That's a Google search cache issue, Costa's site (that page) has been updated since Sunday.

Robin

Ok sorry! Makes sense..... Water flowing down like that.... :o

Translation of Preliminary hearing by the Italian Court:

http://download.repubblica.it/pdf/2012/traduzione_ordinanza_grosseto.pdf

I have to say that I wish American Legal Documents could be as easily read as the Italian Legal Documents are:)

Joanie

Thanks Joanie - I still don't think he should have been let go home though. But what do I know?

Looks like the Captain of the Concordia is going to be slain a million times over in editorials and internet boards etc. His vilification is not without warrant. No question about that.

There are a lot of other issues that arise with respect to this tragedy, issues that if explored fully may have dramatic impact on ship safety. I hope this mega-lynching does not eclipse or divert the inquiry from fully exploring those as well.

By now this Captain has become a pitiful creature - the more so as he will never benefit from that most universal expression of sympathy. What is about to happen to him I truly wouldn't wish on my enemies. It gives me no relief, and will resurrect none of the victims to climb onboard this extrajudicial dispensation of e-justice.

I suppose though, it is what we do.

I would imagine it is in Costa's and Carnival's best interest to demonize that captain and make it look like he is solely responsible for the entire disaster. And if the media and the general public also hop on, so much the better for guarding the corporate deep pockets.

Ok sorry! Makes sense..... Water flowing down like that.... :o

No worries! Whoever stole it and renamed it on you tube should be ashamed of themselves. We went on a Carnival cruise that year, so I was on the Carnival board a fair amount when it happened and remembered it. It was understandable how you thought it was this accident.

Robin

I would imagine it is in Costa's and Carnival's best interest to demonize that captain and make it look like he is solely responsible for the entire disaster. And if the media and the general public also hop on, so much the better for guarding the corporate deep pockets.

Originally Posted by world~citizen viewpost.gif

Looks like the Captain of the Concordia is going to be slain a million times over in editorials and internet boards etc. His vilification is not without warrant. No question about that.

"There are a lot of other issues that arise with respect to this tragedy, issues that if explored fully may have dramatic impact on ship safety. I hope this mega-lynching does not eclipse or divert the inquiry from fully exploring those as well."

The WORLD is watching - any diversion from the truth about what this guy and his immediate crew did will be scrutinized - as it should be.

"By now this Captain has become a pitiful creature - the more so as he will never benefit from that most universal expression of sympathy. What is about to happen to him I truly wouldn't wish on my enemies. It gives me no relief, and will resurrect none of the victims to climb onboard this extrajudicial dispensation of e-justice.

I suppose though, it is what we do."

Sympathy for a slime-ball - honestly WC. I as a fellow CC member respect your comments however, that easily could have been anyone of us as a PAX on that ship - anyone of our family members and/or friends - even if half of what is being reported about this "pitiful creature" is true - this horrible human deserves to be punished to the fullest extent the laws will allow. So while you may find "no relief for what is about to happen to him," others like myself absolutely want to see justice for those victims that lost their lives, were victimized and will continue to be victimized by the reckless actions of a sorry excuse for a human being.

...Sympathy for a slime-ball - honestly WC. I as a fellow CC member respect your comments ...[/i]

As I respect yours.

As you noted that I noted, his vilification is not without warrant. There will be plenty of justice dispensed with respect to the Captain, enough I think to satisfy all of the bereaved save those who believe capital punishment to be appropriate in this sort of situation. For some of these people, executing him just once would not be enough. They seek vengeance in the name of justice. No one benefits from that.

In the past maritime courts have scapegoated Captains to divert attention from the negligences of shipowners, which was the second concern of my post. As you note, this Captain has given much for the prosecutors to focus on. Let us hope not too much as to divert attention from other relevant issues which may be related to this tragedy - ship construction and design, crew training, officer competency and promotion, navigation and emergency routines and procedures etc.

Avoiding a repeat of this horrible tragedy is what we are all looking for.

Smooth sailing...

That is exactly my concern. As Seavoyage points out, the Captain has given them much to focus on, but also that the world IS watching.

The narrative of this tragedy is far from over...

I don't have a hard time understanding why the Captain is being vilified, as he is the one that took the ship off course, ran into a rock, acted like it was an "electrical problem", did not properly notify the Coast Guard and then abandoned 100's of passengers on board and refused direct orders to go back on the ship just to name some of his actions. Costa has its own corporate responsibility but based on everything I have heard so far I lay this one right at the captains feet.

On CNN - cook has stated that the captain was having dinner as the ship was getting ready to sink. Captain arrived at 10:30 and wanted dinner with the lady and ordered drinks!:eek:

Jacqui, CNN is again reporting inaccurately. He had dinner with the young lasy at around 8 or 8:30 pm. There was a time stamp on the original photo of him having dinner with her, but they have photo shopped (cropped) that out along with the waiter and other passengers around them.

From the time line given by the VDR (Voyage Data Recorder) and other eye witness reports when they left the place where they were having dinner and/or drinks, he then took her up to the bridge. Once they got close to the island is when he started to be a real imbecile (for lack of a printable word), and took the ship off of Auto Pilot and manually maneuvered the ship into catastophe:(

CNN also was reporting, along with other Media outlets that the Carnival ship that had the water pouring down the inside stairway was of the Concordia, when in fact it was a Carnival (I believe that was the cruise line) from either 2006 or 2009.

Joanie

Now on a couple of local news stations the lady that the captain had dinner with is speaking out.

She is claiming that she was off duty at the time they had dinner. She also claims that she was called to the bridge to give instructions in different languages.

HMMMMMMMMMMM -- should we believe her?

I do not believe her at all Yonnie because:

1. She made herself available for media interviews in her home country the day after the disaster, but yet has not made herself, at last reports, available to the Italian authorities. According to them, they are still trying to locate her and repeated inquiries to her mother have been answered with, "I do not know where my daughter is."

2. In the media interview she gave she stated that she tried to locate the Russian Passengers, but could not find them. That seems to tell me that she was not on the bridge, as reported, but actually "SUPPOSEDLY" looking for the handful of Russian passengers instead. Also, to be noted is that I saw a video footage last night, cannot find it now (Grrrr) taken by a passenger at or near one of the lifeboats and she is speaking english to passengers telling them to be patient or something to that effect.

3. If she is in the area of the lifeboats, how can she also be on the bridge with the Captain, I believe while he was already on the phone with the Coast Guard Captain De Marco at 11:30 p.m. And Schettino was on shore, sitting or standing on a reef, watching at that time.....

Just to many inconsistencies in her story as well....

Joanie

I still don't think he should have been let go home though.
That's what I said a few days ago when we all heard that he was only on house arrest.
He's been charged with offences, but he hasn't been convicted of anything.

Unless and until he's proven at a proper trial in court to have been guilty, the law presumes him to be innocent - and he is at the moment entitled the benefit of that presumption.

In those circumstances, he's entitled to be at liberty. Detention is only justified if the process of justice might be interfered with - for example, if there is a risk that he will abscond, or interfere with the investigation or with witnesses. If those risks can be managed without keeping him in prison - for example, by house arrest and other conditions - then that is what should be done.

He's been charged with offences, but he hasn't been convicted of anything.

Unless and until he's proven at a proper trial in court to have been guilty, the law presumes him to be innocent - and he is at the moment entitled the benefit of that presumption.

In those circumstances, he's entitled to be at liberty. Detention is only justified if the process of justice might be interfered with - for example, if there is a risk that he will abscond, or interfere with the investigation or with witnesses. If those risks can be managed without keeping him in prison - for example, by house arrest and other conditions - then that is what should be done.

You stated very eloquently what I wanted to.

Archived