Carnival cruise lines does NOT own Costa

TWELVEOHONE

Absolutely. I've seen posts where people are suggesting passengers should have "planned ahead" with "emergency food" and "euros". Grab the life jacket and go.

Well that was probably me, and what I was posting was the suggestion that people have 'prepared' a abandon ship bag (ASB). Most sailors that sail the world (not cruisers) have a abandon ship bag that contains the raw essentials, like a credit card, some cash and their passports. If your in a situation were you have time to hit your stateroom to grab your life jacket, then taking the extra second to grab your abandon ship bag at the same time could prove very valuable.

If you don't have the time to get to your stateroom to get to your life jacket and ASB, than you have bigger issues to deal with.:eek:

In some cases, you have no choice. It's not a big deal one way or another.

It's a very big deal. That is mine, not theirs. There is no valid reason for the cruise line to hold my passport. There are many reasons for me to hold it.

===============================

And as for the mistaken cruise line identity, the mass media, even at this late date (17 Jan) are still erroneously saying that Costa is owned by Carnival Cruise Lines.

and why would it matter if I've been on a European line or not?

Because if you had you might be in a better position to understand why Costa will not be wound up or folded into another Carnival brand. European cruise brands are a lot less homogenous than North American ones - and it is (generally) the North American cruisers who are so confident of Costa's demise, while (in general) other nationalities are a lot less so - especially those who have sailed on Costa - and frankly, it's their opinion and fares that will count most.

Because if you had you might be in a better position to understand why Costa will not be wound up or folded into another Carnival brand. European cruise brands are a lot less homogenous than North American ones - and it is (generally) the North American cruisers who are so confident of Costa's demise, while (in general) other nationalities are a lot less so - especially those who have sailed on Costa - and frankly, it's their opinion and fares that will count most.

What on earth does does that have to do with my reply of "I do" to your statement:

who knows (or cares) that British Airways and Iberia are owned by the "International Airlines Group"?

Get over yourself.

By the way, the majority of all shares of Carnival Corp stock (CCL and CCL-L combined) are American held. So it might not matter what the European holiday makers want if the American stockholders prefer otherwise.

By the way, the majority of all shares of Carnival Corp stock (CCL and CCL-L combined) are American held. So it might not matter what the European holiday makers want if the American stockholders prefer otherwise.

I look forward to your motion at the shareholders meeting! Southampton this year, I think....I'm sure Mr Arison will hang on your every word, based on your extensive experience of never having cruised on a European brand!:D

This is the dumbest thread yet. Not sure what difference it makes.

They are not separate entities in the true financial term where they've been spun off and trading under their own independant symbol, they are all subsidiaries and holdings under Carnival Corp and as such, Carnival Corp is ultimately responsible from a financial, litigation and MORAL perpspective. Carnival Corp is the publicly traded company, Arison family owns 47% of shares, 53% are in private sector. All of their holdings contribute to their financial bottom line. The reputation of Carnival Corp (and Carnival Lines) will take a major hit, as well it should because right now it seems to me like they are more worried about damage control, than helping their crew whom I believe, prevented a much greater catastrophe from occuring. I will leave you to split hairs.

According to you Gillette is not a seperate entity being under proctor and Gamble,

How about all the other companies under the Procter and Gamble umbrella?

Their are 100's of companies like this

Never should have made the holding company the same name as an operating company. Business 101. Should have just called it Big Ass Cruise Line Holding Company. That way the idiot media and press won't get thier little brains confused with the difference.

I suspect it's a hangover from how the company grew.....it may well change...after a decent interval....

Better yet, post a copy of your passport into the "cloud"... i.e., scan it and upload it to a gmail or yahoo or similar email account... one that can be accessed from any computer in the world with an Internet connection.

H

This post is the only thing worthwhile in the whole thread. Thanks for the great idea!

Yeah, Carnival doesn't own Costa.

That's why the stock dove, multiple banks downgraded Carnival Corp, and people are cancelling cruises left and right (feel free to call your friendly travel agent).

Uh huh.

Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Costa, that's the whole point of this thread. Carnival Corporation does.

CCL is taking quite a bit of flak because the media is reporting it as if Carnival Cruise Line has some sort of role in all of this, which they don't. Example? Last night on ABC World News, Diane Sawyer kept calling the ill-fated ship the "Carnival Concordia".

Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Costa, that's the whole point of this thread. Carnival Corporation does.

CCL is taking quite a bit of flak because the media is reporting it as if Carnival Cruise Line has some sort of role in all of this, which they don't. Example? Last night on ABC World News, Diane Sawyer kept calling the ill-fated ship the "Carnival Concordia".

FYI, CCL is the name the Carnival Corp trades under on NYSE. (It's CCL-L on the LSE)

Thats is a Carnival Corp and PLC press release, who do own Costa, and not a Carvival Cruise Lines press release, who are owned by Carnival Corp and PLC. As stated by the OP Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Costa

Tomatoes - Tomatos

Bottom line - somebody should be assisting all these people to get home safely after all they have been through.

Yeah and Bill Gates doesn't own all of Microsoft, he just controls it because he owns most of it.

Actually, Bill Gates retired in 2008. Steve Ballmer has been running MS since then.

Gates is Chairman of the Board of Directors and the majority share holder. Microsoft's CEO, Ballmer, reports to the Board.

In over 20 cruises with Holland America over three deacdes, my family and I have shown our passports at embarkation. Never have they been retained by the cruise line. Never.

Well on both of my Celebrity Mediterranean cruises they held passports at certain points...and customs at one port or another even STAMPED them....then on certain day you were to go get your passport from designated area.

So its common.

This post is the only thing worthwhile in the whole thread. Thanks for the great idea!

I just e-mail all important documents to MYSELF . . . when I get it (1/10 of a second later:D) I put it in my ARCHIVES file in Yahoo Mail. All I have to do to get anything of importance is find a puter that I can check my e-mail on and pull up any archived document.

Renaming the holding company makes A LOT more sense than renaming Costa - for example, who knows (or cares) that British Airways and Iberia are owned by the "International Airlines Group"?

I would imagine the attorney's representing the victims of this or any kind of accident would seek out the 'deepest pockets' when bringing suit.

Although I do not know if legally a holding corporation is liabel for the actions of a wholly owned subsidiary, or not. Isn't that the point of an LLC--to limit the liability to 'protect' its owner(s)?

Any lawyers reading this, please respond.

It's a very big deal. That is mine, not theirs. There is no valid reason for the cruise line to hold my passport. There are many reasons for me to hold it.

===============================

And as for the mistaken cruise line identity, the mass media, even at this late date (17 Jan) are still erroneously saying that Costa is owned by Carnival Cruise Lines.

There most certainly is a reason for the cruise line to hold your passport if you are cruising to foreign ports that require visas. Actually, I have never been on a ship that didn't take my passport and when I've collected it at the end of the voyage, there are always stamps inside of the countries we visited ... Vietnam, Egypt, even St. Lucia didn't allow us to disembark without placing exit visa stamps in our passports.

I've sailed RCCL (Freedom and Oasis), Princess, Regent and Silversea. They have ALL kept the guests passports.

Archived