For Me, It's Buh-bye Celebrity

heidik

We've sailed with Celebrity many times, usually in CC. We booked our 1st suite for our Hawaii cruise on Century. I'm looking forward to many of the suite perks, including dinner on our balcony served by courses. Having been in CC we are use to fresh flowers and fruit so I expect this in the suite also. We are looking forward to the experience so I hope our butler is better than some who have been described on this thread.

Mary Lou

Cappuccino service was non existant for us as well until I called the butler on it and went down to the pursur desk to ask. Same thing about the tote. When we came up from the pursur desk, he was at our suite delivering the tote and made some excuse that it was only for the Christmas sailing suite customers but he had one left and gave it to us. Were you in a royal suite? Perhaps that is why you received flowers? We were only in a sky suite so that might be the reason why we didn't get flowers. I did mention it to the pursur desk and they acknowledged that it was for RS only.

There is a difference between being "needy" (to me that would be calling the butler for every whim) and having certain expectations met. I am not a needy passenger. I rarely ask anyone, even a butler, to perform duties that I can do myself.

However, that being said, I do expect a butler to do things for me that I cannot do. For example, bringing me a Cappuccino in the AM. I will not be on a beverage package, so yes, I do expect that. I cannot go get the flowers for my cabin (unless I paid for them). If it is advertised, I would like them. I enjoy flowers, I appreciate them. I expect my sparkling wine to be included in the suite. What is wrong with that?

What!!!:eek: Did they refuse to bring you a Cappuccino????

I just paid to upgrade to a S2. And my dreams of the butler calling to say that he or she is coming with them are dancing around in my head (we had Wilfred in a RS, what a guy!). Tell me I am not in la la land.

We sailed in June in a Royal Suite.

We asked the butler if he could switch out the bottle of premium scotch for a bottle of rum: "No can't do that."

We asked if we could have cappuccino in the morning (we all had premium drink packages - 2 adults and a teenager): "No can't do that. You have to get those yourself"

We asked if we could have waffles with breakfast: "No can't do that. Too far for me to walk back to the suite."

We had never had a "butler" before, but let me tell you, it was not a treat. He acted like we were bothering him, and honestly, these were our only requests. Our room steward, however, was a gem. Would have loved to just have had him take care of us for the week. Don't know that we will be cruising again any time soon. Flying to Bermuda and being at a luxury resort for the week would be much more preferable to us. But, again, "to each his own". ;)

We recently sailed on Constellation in a CS and were also disappointed with the butler. No cappuccinos, no tote bag until we asked Guest Relations and although we are not at all high maintenance, we felt that if we made any small request we were just being a nuisance. Our room steward was great, but the butler did not really seem cut out for the job. He told me he had to work very hard and said "I have to be smiling...smiling all the time even if I am not happy". I felt like telling him that sounded just like my job!!

I would mention to the butler first but any negative response I would go to guest relations and ask for an attention to detail card and fill that out. The reason I suggest that rather than speaking to them is that whilst the response may not be instant, it is guaranteed as these cards go to the Hotel Director directly. Talking to Guest Relations might mean your issue is deflected, played down or ignored.

It is important that if a number of guests are finding drop offs in the butler service that the HD sees this pattern quickly and can deal with it for the benefit of everyone

We asked the butler if he could switch out the bottle of premium scotch for a bottle of rum: "No can't do that."

We asked if we could have cappuccino in the morning (we all had premium drink packages - 2 adults and a teenager): "No can't do that. You have to get those yourself"

We asked if we could have waffles with breakfast: "No can't do that. Too far for me to walk back to the suite."

I'll tell you what; he wouldn't have said that to me! :cool:

As others have said, I guess it depends what is important to you in your cruise experience.

On our recent Eclipse cruise, we had a less than average cabin steward but instead of worrying about the missing fruit basket I focused on how great the rest of the cruise was - food, entertainment, drinks package, service.

We did have a Sky Suite on our last cruise in Summit- 6145 next to the Penthouse. We had a good idea of what to expect from our butler, thanks to CC, and asked him to arrange invites to the bridge tour, get laundry pressed, and bring cappucinos daily. Bart from India was great and was the icing on the cake of a wonderful cruise. We loved the space we had in the suite, especially the huge bathroom.

I don't think anyone should book a Sky Suite expecting Jeeves the butler though!!

Hi Sandi! I just had to jump in here with our experience with your butler. I got upgraded to a suite shortly before cruising. We were in 6132 (SS1), and it was our first time in a suite. Since we would have a butler for the first time, I too did my research on what to expect. We travel with a large group of friends (around 13) and we like to have get togethers in our cabin before dinner. For this cruise we had even planned a murder mystery game to start in my cabin, since I had a suite and continue to dinner. Our first day we met the butler and I told him I had never had a butler before. He said to let him know if we needed anything so I said I wanted to have a predinner get together with some friends and I would like his help with some extra glasses and ice, and some snacks. He then told me I would have to call catering for that request, that he couldn't do that. I asked if there was a charge for that and he said that yes there was. Now, since I had done research and also since friends of mine in a regular cabin had received this service free of charge in the past (room service is free after all), I told him that no I shouldn't have to pay for that. I was pretty surprised, since I had read that the butler is not supposed to tell you no for a reasonable request. Our friends had the royal suite with the same butler and also encountered several problems with the butler refusing to swap out his whiskey (that he doesn't drink) for a bottle of rum, or bring snacks to his room for his friends, among other things. He went to customer service just to see if what we were asking for was unreasonable and was assured that it was not. After that the butler seemed to get better, which is a good thing. We were wondering if this butler was new and maybe didn't understand his duties, but then found out, according to him that he was one of the top butlers on the ship and was being promoted to a new ship after this itinerary.

We never had problems getting the cappacino in the morning or having our breakfast served and set up on the balcony. We did get flowers but it was a couple of days into the cruise.

I would never let something like that ruin my vacation, and definitely recommend talking to customer service to get the issues resolved. If you are paying for a suite or any cabin for that matter, you should get all the amenities you are entitled to.

We've always felt Celebrity customer service was top notch and this was our first dissappointment.

OP I'm sorry you had these problems and wish you luck on your next cruise.

He acted like we were bothering him, and honestly, these were our only requests. Our room steward, however, was a gem. Would have loved to just have had him take care of us for the week. [/color]

We had virtually the same experience. I made very few requests if any (I think my only request was to have a pitcher of ice water and hot tea in our room every night). Our butler seemed annoyed most of the time. I didn't even know we had access to cappuccino ... :(

Our room steward was the polar opposite of our butler. He was very helpful, kind, attentive, and just a nice guy in general (I enjoyed chatting with him about random stuff). I ended up tipping him more than the butler lol.

I'll tell you what; he wouldn't have said that to me! :cool:

To tell you the truth, I didn't want it to "ruin" our vacation, so I let it go. I didn't feel comfortable going to guest services and having a big deal made of it, since we still had to see the butler all week. It was our 25th anniversary trip - I wanted happy memories. So, we got our cappuccinos on our own later in the day, we left an entire bottle of scotch unopened and ordered our preferred drinks at the Martini Bar or Cova Cafe instead, and my husband ran up to the buffet to bring us some waffles one morning.

The Royal suite was beautiful and worth it for the accomodations, (felt like a princess with all that "room") but NOT for the service. As I mentioned, we will probably put that money toward resort accomodations in the future.

We had virtually the same experience. I made very few requests if any (I think my only request was to have a pitcher of ice water and hot tea in our room every night). Our butler seemed annoyed most of the time. I didn't even know we had access to cappuccino ... :(

Our room steward was the polar opposite of our butler. He was very helpful, kind, attentive, and just a nice guy in general (I enjoyed chatting with him about random stuff). I ended up tipping him more than the butler lol.

Us too! :p Our room steward acted like I gave him a million dollars when I handed him the extra tip. Kissed my daughter's hand, "God blessed" my husband & I over and over, telling us he hoped we would sail with him again. lol THAT'S the type of personality you like to deal with in those circumstances!

To tell you the truth, I didn't want it to "ruin" our vacation, so I let it go. I didn't feel comfortable going to guest services and having a big deal made of it, since we still had to see the butler all week. It was our 25th anniversary trip - I wanted happy memories. So, we got our cappuccinos on our own later in the day, we left an entire bottle of scotch unopened and ordered our preferred drinks at the Martini Bar or Cova Cafe instead, and my husband ran up to the buffet to bring us some waffles one morning.

The Royal suite was beautiful and worth it for the accomodations, (felt like a princess with all that "room") but NOT for the service. As I mentioned, we will probably put that money toward resort accomodations in the future.

I wouldn't have let it ruin my vacation either...BUT...he really wasn't doing his job and that is not only unfair to you it's unfair to all the others he's doing it to and he SHOULD be reported. I assure you, I am in the hospitality business and if one of my employees was acting this way I would WANT to know so that I could stop it before it angered more customers. I understand your sentiment but I suspect if you had reported it you would have had a much more responsive butler and an enhanced cruise, it would do the employee little good to abuse you even more, more likely THAT would cost him his job, certainly would at my resort!!!

So sorry to hear about your poor experience with that butler Heidek.

Neither Corky or I drink and that was the very first thing we addressed last month in AQ 1605 aboard Solstice. The cabin steward immediately grabbed the alcohol from the cooler and they did not return during our 8 days.

My opinion...the prepaid/auto gratuities are to blame for the lowered quality of service. This was our first cruise which used that and was about the lowest level of service we've ever had cabin-wise. Blu service was wonderful.

Might be time for a new Hotel Director aboard Solstice IMHO.

Are you really asking us to believe that your cabin steward did not return to your cabin for eight days?

Hi Sandi! I just had to jump in here with our experience with your butler. I got upgraded to a suite shortly before cruising. We were in 6132 (SS1), and it was our first time in a suite. Since we would have a butler for the first time, I too did my research on what to expect. We travel with a large group of friends (around 13) and we like to have get togethers in our cabin before dinner. For this cruise we had even planned a murder mystery game to start in my cabin, since I had a suite and continue to dinner. Our first day we met the butler and I told him I had never had a butler before. He said to let him know if we needed anything so I said I wanted to have a predinner get together with some friends and I would like his help with some extra glasses and ice, and some snacks. He then told me I would have to call catering for that request, that he couldn't do that. I asked if there was a charge for that and he said that yes there was. Now, since I had done research and also since friends of mine in a regular cabin had received this service free of charge in the past (room service is free after all), I told him that no I shouldn't have to pay for that. I was pretty surprised, since I had read that the butler is not supposed to tell you no for a reasonable request. Our friends had the royal suite with the same butler and also encountered several problems with the butler refusing to swap out his whiskey (that he doesn't drink) for a bottle of rum, or bring snacks to his room for his friends, among other things. He went to customer service just to see if what we were asking for was unreasonable and was assured that it was not. After that the butler seemed to get better, which is a good thing. We were wondering if this butler was new and maybe didn't understand his duties, but then found out, according to him that he was one of the top butlers on the ship and was being promoted to a new ship after this itinerary.

We never had problems getting the cappacino in the morning or having our breakfast served and set up on the balcony. We did get flowers but it was a couple of days into the cruise.

I would never let something like that ruin my vacation, and definitely recommend talking to customer service to get the issues resolved. If you are paying for a suite or any cabin for that matter, you should get all the amenities you are entitled to.

We've always felt Celebrity customer service was top notch and this was our first dissappointment.

OP I'm sorry you had these problems and wish you luck on your next cruise.

Hi Kathy,

Lucky you getting an upgrade! Sorry your experience was not perfect with the butler. I really think that X has changed their policy on catering in room parties. On our Summit cruise, friends in the PH had to pay for hors d'oeuvres and set up for a party they hosted which surprised me!

Probably an edict from corporate.

I would still sail in a suite - at the right price - in a heartbeat. It has spoiled us, fthough we love Blu, the AQ cabin just seemed so cramped.

From our experiences cruising.. the Best solution from having unexceptable or underwelmed service from the Butler, cabin steward or whomever,is first to address them with the Hotel Manager with a one on one meeting. Then after the cruise when the comment cards are issued, Fill them out and also include a letter along with it addressing your dissatisfaction with whatever you chose. Mail the comment card Directly to corporate guest relations in Miami. If everyone did this, a strong message would be sent to Celebrity and I think that things might change..

From our experiences cruising.. the Best solution from having unexceptable or underwelmed service from the Butler, cabin steward or whomever,is first to address them with the Hotel Manager with a one on one meeting. Then after the cruise when the comment cards are issued, Fill them out and also include a letter along with it addressing your dissatisfaction with whatever you chose. Mail the comment card Directly to corporate guest relations in Miami. If everyone did this, a strong message would be sent to Celebrity and I think that things might change..

I filled out our comment card and brought it to the front desk the night before we left. I made mention of the "less than stellar" service from the butler. (also included a rave review of the wonderful cabin steward) Never heard a thing back. Oh well. As I mentioned, we might cruise again, but I think I'm more the "resort on the beach for a week" type of gal. ;)

You will not here back from comments on your Survey that quickly, had you used a Comment Card during the cruise (Attention to detail cards) you should have got feedback. I am glad you did give honest feedback to Celebrity, too often people back off being honest but that masks the problem in a situation like this.

I hope you find a holiday that works well for you in the coming years and sorry to hear of your experiences Singing Mom

We sailed on the Nov 30th sailing. Our suite was a S2( not the one at the back of the ship) We indeed had fresh flowers every day or at least every other. As for the tote, it was waiting for us when we arrived!!

Maybe just was the luck of the draw!!??

Unbelieveable. I think I will call celebrity and complain. When I went to the pursur desk and asked, they assured me S2's do not get flowers. A paying suite passenger should not have to spend most of their cruise vacation going down to the pursur desk to fight for the things that they already paid for and were promised. And by the way, we didn't get fresh squeezed orange juice either. So = If your on the Summit and have a Butler named Keith--ask for a new one. He is useless.

I have found it better to rather than move up in cabin class on mass Market Ships, Princess, Celeb,NCL, Royal Carrib. etc that it is more productive to move rather in lines.

Go to a Premimum line like Oceaina or Azamar

Moving from 3000 passengers to 600 to 1000 the cabins and service increase

Want real service Go Silversea, Regent Seabourn, Crystal,for real luxury.

I had a butler on Regent for 36 days... they guy packed and un packed our stuf. Served breakfast and Dinner, Was a bar tender whe we had guests over.

To to me booking a suite on a mass market ship is like asking for the presidential suite at Holiday inn... It just is not positioned to perform in the same arena or to the same standard. Mc Donalds will not , no matter how hard they cook, ever be the equal of a Michelin 3 star.

You get what you pay for in reality.

Good point, if only I could afford such luxury...Thats why I was chucked to have butler service. Wasn't expecting the equivalent of the luxury lines but it was a real treat just getting cappucinos and afternoon treats!!

Hi Sandi:) me too...but then again I am happy with just a regular

cabin category.;)....I got a CC cabin on Millie.....the one thing I

really liked were the thicker towels.

I see the OP said she sails solo so I can relate to that and I am sorry

she had such a poor/disappointing experience.

Oh, as for the luxury lines? Those will never be attainable for me either.

We were in a RS for the TA on Solstice last Nov/Dec. We definitely did not get as good as service from the Butler but we wrote it off because of the Noro problems on the ship.

We hardly ever saw the butler except for breakfast. No problem with the cappucino's there but sometimes what we ordered was a little mixed up (mostly we got much more than we ordered :D). And he did make sure we were fully stocked in Tomato Juice (for our Bloody Mary's :p).

But after that it was hard to connect with him. We almost never had ice available, had to go up to the buffet and get a few cups (and stand in line because all the self serve stations were down because of Noro).

In the past we had been able to get lunch items off menu (like the wonderful celebrity lunch steak) - no more. Not sure if that was because of him or not. They used to have special "firings", i.e. lunch requests for Suites.

I'm going to write this off to the Noro stuff that definitely had the crew pretty stressed out. But given postings here I'm starting to wonder.

There are a number of people who say they can't afford luxury cruise lines but they take a number of cruises during a year on Celebrity. If quality was important enough to them they would take one cruise a year on a luxury cruise line instead of more cruises on Celebrity. It is just a matter of priorities.

We were also very disappointed with Celebrity on our recent trans atlantic cruise. We did not have a butler on this sailing but did notice a lack of service, food and especially entertainment. I'm not sure what is going on...a reduction in prices, too many ships, too much competition? We have sailed on the smaller luxury lines but just like the larger ship experience and are willing to pay more than the current rates if that will bring back the former Celebrity. We have an upcoming family cruise planned on Royal C will report back on this experience.

There are a number of people who say they can't afford luxury cruise lines but they take a number of cruises during a year on Celebrity. If quality was important enough to them they would take one cruise a year on a luxury cruise line instead of more cruises on Celebrity. It is just a matter of priorities.

Ugh. The people on this thread (myself included) are not booking inside cabins and expecting to be treated like royalty.

We are booking suites and expecting a cruise line to deliver what they promised. That should be Celebrity's priority.

Ugh. The people on this thread (myself included) are not booking inside cabins and expecting to be treated like royalty.

We are booking suites and expecting a cruise line to deliver what they promised. That should be Celebrity's priority.

Muushka, I agree that when you book a suite you should get what is promised by Celebrity. My only point in making that comment was that people who take a few cruises a year on Celebrity could take at least one cruise on a luxury cruise line for the same amount. BTW - we have heard so many good things about Regent from our friends that we are thinking about moving up to a luxury cruise line but cruising less ourselves. However, I realize that there are a lot of people who would rather take more cruises for the same amount of money than one special one.

Archived