What is Your Reaction to This?

sail7seas

Given the random sampling of people that have received the emails from X, NCL, etc., I wonder if any of the Concordia passengers, crew, or loved ones of those who are deceased or missing received them. Now, those are the folks who have a valid reason to be upset.

I haven't read HAL's facebook page so I don't know what it says. But, I'm sure the lawyers, marketing dept., and many others at Carnival Corp. are spending countless hours deciding how to word their (and Costa's) response to this mess. Damage contol is never an easy task and given the enormous impact this has had, and will continue to have, I know they're weighing each syllable of every word. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

In light of the impact of the Concordia disaster on the entire cruise industry, I'm flabbergasted that EVERY cruise line has not sent email blasts to everyone on their mailing lists to emphasize their safety record, and their commitment to safety. IMO, it is not only PR, it is also re-assurance. I would not have been surprised to receive emails from river cruise companies that I have never cruised with.

I will make no judgements about the Concordia disaster, but will leave that to the professionals.

that I booked a new trip on HAL today (Nieuw Amsterdam 12/9). *L*

I'm certain that if you evaluate any form of transportation, that cruise ships in general are the safest of any mode, given the number of folks who sail weekly and the miles traveled.

The Costa tragedy was pure and simple, human error/stupidity.

Given the chance, I'd board any ship tomorrow, with no concerns other than what the bartender's skills are re old fashioneds. *S*

Interestingly enough Gene Grabowski who is a Crisis Communications Expert out of Washington is being interviewed by Canada AM this morning.

A very interesting interview and then..................

The reporter asked about all these emails and is this the time.

He says no - "in the middle of a crisis and we are still in the middle of it, this is not the time to be marketing. This is the time to stay silent. Once it passes then you put your emphasis on marketing. right now all it does is remind people how dangerous and inconvenient and sometimes dirty travelling on cruise lines can be".

Interesting

Interestingly enough Gene Grabowski who is a Crisis Communications Expert out of Washington is being interviewed by Canada AM this morning.

He says no - "in the middle of a crisis and we are still in the middle of it, this is not the time to be marketing. This is the time to stay silent. Once it passes then you put your emphasis on marketing. right now all it does is remind people how dangerous and inconvenient and sometimes dirty travelling on cruise lines can be".

Interesting

Thanks Jacqui, That was totally my first thought too, while some may think it is comforting from their favorite cruise lines others do not. I totally understand how important Wave Season is and trust me it is starting to be felt :o But I would rather the emails have waited at least 3 weeks or till the ship has been moved and out of sight of the media.

I feel the emails were a knee jerk reaction from the constant media and especially after Friday between Dr. Phil, 20/20 and Geraldo. Neither of these three shows gave any more information all they were doing were sensationalizing the event for ratings. All three claimed this would hurt the cruise industry :mad:

Interesting

Clearly there are two thoughts in this regard.

If I didn't think it was a topic for conversation from varying viewpoints, I would not have started this thread.

I find nothing comforting by a company I have not sailed with in many years going out of their way to land, uninvited, in my mail box telling me how safe they are. Of course, they have determined that for themselves. Just because they tell me how safe they are, what does that mean? :confused: Of course, I think them as safe as all other cruise lines in similar category but I don't want them telling me so in this way. Did anyone expect they would prounounce themselves 'unsafe'?

I wouldn't welcome HAL landing in my mail box with a similar statement AT THIS TIME anymore than Celebrity, with whom I have no intention of sailing.

I may be the minority but the above quote seems to indicate some professionals agree with my thoughts.

Again, JMO......

Thank you for that post, Kazu.

For Heather In Florida - everyone reacts to tragedy in different ways - some may well take this personally as this may just be too quick for them. Timing is everything. I know it's 'wave season' but all the bodies haven't been found yet.

I don't see a lot wrong with the letter other than timing. I totally understand marketing 101 but I also understand empathy, understanding and giving people a time to adjust and grieve. JMHO:)

While I can understand some people might take the tragedy itself personally (certainly if they have friends or family affected), I don't understand getting the letter and feeling it is a personal attack either on us or the cruise line we love.

As to the timing, I still feel strongly that now is the time it must be addressed. People are looking for information right now, they are nervous this minute, they want to know how or why this happened ... how long should they wait to address it? If not now, when?

Frankly, I think a letter, email or otherwise, is a better way to address the issue than posts on Facebook. But I wouldn't criticize any company for the way they handle this as long as they address it in some way.

I guess what it really comes down to is whether we view the emails as marketing. I did not; honestly. I received the email and thought it was RCCL's way of calming the fears of cruisers or possible cruisers. Maybe I'm just gullible, but that was my reaction. Still is ... the email addressed the safety and security aboard their ships, nothing more.

Heather, I think you're right. It was RCCL's way of calming the fears, but the residual effect was a positive marketing statement. The two are not mutually exclusive, IMO.

I received the email from NCL's president today. It was posted here a day or so ago.

These things just get sent out to mailing lists. I know from experience that there are often many mailing lists in each company, some more up to date that others. I costs money to keep them current, or to hire an outside firm to do it.

So you got an unwanted email? That is what the delete key is for. We constantly get email, and snail mail brocures from HAL and other lines that we do not particularly want. Often these come from cruise lines that we have never tried. So we delete, block, or bin the communication.

Is there anyone out there who does not ever get junk mail or junk email from an unwanted source? If we took offence to every marketing piece from firms that we have never heard of or dealt with our life would be consumed with resentment. Time to focus on the positive and move forward.

Oops, the NCL safety and security memo just landed in my mailbox after I posted this. I did not get wrapped around the axle. Read the header and hit the delete key. Simple, no sweat.

I received the email from NCL today and thought it tastefully done--reassuring of safety measures on their line without blaming or capitalizing on the mistakes of Costa. I think it needs to be addressed now rather than later. In a month it will be old news and perhaps reopen old wounds of those moving on.

Every cable news station has several shows or pieces about the Concordia daily and those speaking often refer to "all the dark dirty secrets of what happens on cruise ships". I have yet to hear anyone comment in a positive light--but good news does not get the ratings catastrophes do.

If I had never cruised I might think this was not a safe, reliable, or professional means of travel. The lines are being proactive to alleviate fears caused by the unusual accident and the media's sky is falling reaction to it.

I think these emails simply are an opportunistic way for cruiselines' spinmeisters and marketing people to take advantage of a terrible tragedy ... perhaps lure a few passengers to their sailings. In the marketing and business world, it's all about $$$$, but I don't think this is the right time to exploit the Concordia incident.

Why did none of these lines find it important a month ago to spin their safety concerns?

Probably because a month or so ago a mailing about safety would not resonate with the target recipients. Last month it was all about free upgrades, great service, sophisticated environments, etc.

Since Concordia, it has all been about safety. Give it a month or so and it will all be about something else. Marketing shifts focus to address (and sometimes even create) customer concern/opinion. That is where the opportunity is.

These things just get sent out to mailing lists. I know from experience that there are often many mailing lists in each company, some more up to date that others. I costs money to keep them current, or to hire an outside firm to do it.

So you got an unwanted email? That is what the delete key is for. We constantly get email, and snail mail brocures from HAL and other lines that we do not particularly want. Often these come from cruise lines that we have never tried. So we delete, block, or bin the communication.

Is there anyone out there who does not ever get junk mail or junk email from an unwanted source? If we took offence to every marketing piece from firms that we have never heard of or dealt with our life would be consumed with resentment. Time to focus on the positive and move forward.

Oops, the NCL safety and security memo just landed in my mailbox after I posted this. I did not get wrapped around the axle. Read the header and hit the delete key. Simple, no sweat.

Exactly my thoughts. I get tons of mail I don't want, especially in my hotmail account. I rarely read anything in there and just delete it. No biggie!

Why did none of these lines find it important a month ago to spin their safety concerns?

How many of us a month ago posted questions about cruiseline safety...I don't recall reading many...Perhaps the cruiselines are responding to the many questions being raised since this disaster...I welcome any information they can provide about safety.

Probably because a month or so ago a mailing about safety would not resonate with the target recipients. Last month it was all about free upgrades, great service, sophisticated environments, etc.

Since Concordia, it has all been about safety. Give it a month or so and it will all be about something else. Marketing shifts focus to address (and sometimes even create) customer concern/opinion. That is where the opportunity is.

How many of us a month ago posted questions about cruiseline safety...I don't recall reading many...Perhaps the cruiselines are responding to the many questions being raised since this disaster...I welcome any information they can provide about safety.

It should have been sufficient for the cruiselines to post a concern-for-safety message on their respective websites ... unless they are using the Concordia, and their various spam emails, to try to generate bookings.

And, yes, next month it'll be something else because so many of us are afflicted with the Short Attention Span Syndrome.

I guess I just see it differently ... and we all are entitled to our own point of view.

It should have been sufficient for the cruiselines to post a concern-for-safety message on their respective websites ... unless they are using the Concordia, and their various spam emails, to try to generate bookings.

And, yes, next month it'll be something else because so many of us are afflicted with the Short Attention Span Syndrome.

I guess I just see it differently ... and we all are entitled to our own point of view.

Yes, that ^^^

That would leave the choice to each of us to seek their safety message if we chose. It would make it our choice to see what they have to say at our choice when we feel we are interested. ... if ever.

IMO

Royal, Celebrity, Norwegian and Princess have all sent out similar emails. I am quite confident it is being done to reassure those booked.

That was part of my point......

We are NOT booked and have not sailed Celebrity in many years.

I didn't need or want any reassurance from a cruise line we don't sail.

And that is why it is my opinion it is far more about trying to sell us a cruise than to reassure us. I think they are improperly taking advantage of what they see as a marketing opportunity but linked to a tragic event. Thus my distaste.

HAL put out at least one blurb this weekend on Facebook regarding it's continuing commitment to safety. I am sure more assurances will follow.

It will also be interesting to see if the Muster on the Oosterdam differs this weekend from what we experienced in October.

I was surprised to note in October that no one was trying to take any kind of roll during Muster.

Hello localady,

I received an email from NCL this morning that was reassuring about the staff and safety on their ships. They touched on muster drills,which have always been on deck, and safety videos available while on board..I was comforted by Kevin Sheehan's words.

In reply to your comment about muster drills on HAL, I too am interested in seeing how our muster drill goes on the Zuiderdam in March. Last March on the Eurodam we noticed that our muster leader did not take any kind of roll call at all. We have cruised twice a year for the past 4 years and note that some of the lines do not require that you bring you life jacket with you and that many of the musters were held indoors and not near your muster station. As recall the Euroda was on deck.

Personally, I feel cruising will be safer than ever.:)

Ann

I would imagine that all cruise lines are getting quite a few phone calls and emails from concerned guests. Sending a mass email out would hopefully alleviate some of the call volume. And it would be far easier to just send to everyone they have an email address for than only to currently booked guests.

In addition to being sent these emails from lines I have sailed (Royal, NCL and Celebrity) I have also received one from Princess even though I have not sailed with them and am not currently booked on a Princess cruise. I supplied them with my email address when requesting a brochure awhile back and to receive current promotions.

Archived