THE POORDAM: a new "LynnDam" ship

Spinner2

Cruisinetta (aka Lynn) is aboard the Noordam and she's building another model ship to enter in the shipbuilding contest. This one is named "The Poordam" and all she's said about her plans is that the ship would feature some rusty areas, so I'm not totally sure what her concept will involve by the time it's finished. Her ships always have a light-hearted approach! She's sent the first photo and the second photo I'm posting for her today is a magnification of the forward part.

poordam1.jpg

The close-up:

poordam2.jpg

I guess I didn't make it clear; veteran readers know Cruisinetta posts photos of the build to show how she does it, sometimes even starting with the cardboard cartons. This ship is a LONG way from being complete! Keep checking back to see the progress. Remember, the whole thing has to be built on the cruise from materials she scavenges on board or obtains in port.

I guess I didn't make it clear; veteran readers know Cruisinetta posts photos of the build to show how she does it, sometimes even starting with the cardboard cartons. This ship is a LONG way from being complete! Keep checking back to see the progress. Remember, the whole thing has to be built on the cruise from materials she scavenges on board or obtains in port.

Wow, she is very clever....Does she get to show them off somewhere on the ship before the cruise ends????

Cruisinetta sent another photo this morning and she's done so much work on the project that I'll post the photo as she sent it (with non-ship stuff, top and bottom cropped off) so you can see how big it is. You might use that glass-topped coffee table it's on as the reference point; most of you know how big those are. I can think of contests that had to be held in the pool, not the jacuzzi because her ship was too big for the jacuzzi!

To answer a question, she doesn't always "win" these things. You never know how the judging will go. The rules say that a ship must stay afloat and then must stay afloat with a certain number (varies) of cans of soda placed in her. But after that, whoever is in charge decides how to judge. Sometimes it's crowd applause and another ship might have a larger cheering team because the builder is a member of a big group onboard. I saw that happen once when we were onboard with Lynn and her ship came in second. You just never know and it's a very unpredictable thing.

poordam3.jpg

And some enlargements of that photo so you can see the build:

This will be the Aft Pool eventually:

poordam4.jpg

And here you can see the opening that's left so she can put in the soda cans:

poordam5.jpg

A detail of one side; notice the detail on the cabins and the work she's put in to shape each deck's aft :

pordam6.jpg

Very Cool!!!! We were fortunate enough to be on LYnn's crew the last time we were on the Noordam.... she of course did all the work.... we just popped in to see her progress from time to time and got to help tranport it to the pool area prior to judging.

The reactions were amazing, since most of the cruisers had no idea that they would see that much detail AND a great replica.

After the judging, the ship ended up in the crow's nest for a while.. the ship's officers at the time were truly in awe as well!!!!

Congrats Lynn.... have a great time with this version in drydock! Can't wait to see further pics.

Denny (& Karen) :D:p

Short answer is no. I was on a team that "defeated" her entry a few years ago. Our ship was able to carry the load but was certainly not as detailed or even pretty. We were awarded first by audience acclamation. I was later told by audience members that they voted for our boat because they did not think all the work done on her boat could have been completed onboard. Having seen previous boats I know she does complete them onboard.

Work2Cruis

Cruisinetta sent another photo this morning and she's done so much work on the project that I'll post the photo as she sent it (with non-ship stuff, top and bottom cropped off) so you can see how big it is. You might use that glass-topped coffee table it's on as the reference point; most of you know how big those are. I can think of contests that had to be held in the pool, not the jacuzzi because her ship was too big for the jacuzzi!

To answer a question, she doesn't always "win" these things. You never know how the judging will go. The rules say that a ship must stay afloat and then must stay afloat with a certain number (varies) of cans of soda placed in her. But after that, whoever is in charge decides how to judge. Sometimes it's crowd applause and another ship might have a larger cheering team because the builder is a member of a big group onboard. I saw that happen once when we were onboard with Lynn and her ship came in second. You just never know and it's a very unpredictable thing.

poordam3.jpg

What a shame the audience wasn't fairer.

Another reason I dislike being on a cruise with a very large group aboard that dominates everything....

Just curious, after all that work, what do you win?:confused:

Mostly pride of accomplishment. On one cruise our team one, and we were awarded a 'goody' bag of 'fabulous ship's prizes' similar to that given to 'newlywed game' and other audience participation contests.

One of the features that gave us the win was a pair of rubberband powered propellers that powered our ship around the lido pool...and a strong ability to carry sixpacks due to a lot of 'floatation' devices in our hull. ;)

Heard from Cruisinetta today . . . she says the internet aboard the Noordam is even slower than its usually slow self so she's going to hold off on trying to send me another photo for a day or two when hopefully it will be better. She tries to send me full-res photos because then there's enough there for me to pull out a small section and magnify it yet still have it sharp enough for you to see detail.

My guess is that a lot of people assume that either she can't have done all that work herself or that brought a "kit" along from home or something--it's mind-boggling when you see what she creates. But anyone who's helped her scrounge up the coke cartons on board--and they aren't always easy to find because the ship's stash of soft drinks mostly comes on pallets that hold many, many cans--would see how she does start from scratch. Up close you'll see that she's just quickly penciled in each of those cabin windows, but the whole effect when you see the ship looks like it was printed on.

I think the most clever entry in one of these contests was what I'd call the "bag and 2 bottle" ship. Totally legal, totally ugly, totally clever. The guy had 2 of the large-size water bottles they sell as you leave the ship for the beach and a plain plastic grocery bag--the kind every market has, with the die-cut "handles" at the top. The builder fastened the two drink bottles together, necks facing in opposite directions, with packing tape. The office will certainly loan you their tape dispenser and it couldn't have been that hard to find the bag. Then he fastened one of the bag handles over the neck of one bottle and the other handle over the neck of the other bottle. Then he stuck a flag of some sort onto the bottle assembly, stuck on a swizzle stick from the bar and held with more packing tape. For the "the ship must float" portion of the challenge he folded the bag against the bottles and held it with some string. Of course it floated; two empty plastic bottles are gonna float.

Then for the "must hold a pack of soda" part he unfastened the bag so it hung down from the bottles. He dropped the 6-pak of soda into the bag and set it back in the water. Floated beautifully! Probably took him 20 minutes to make the whole thing and he won!

Cruisinetta wasn't on that trip.

The entries that this guy beat were popcorn tubs fastened together, decorated trays and the like; most looked like a lot of effort had gone into holding all that stuff together. But the simple entry won; it was efficient and clever. Just not spectacular.

Shipbuilding contests are fun to watch and might be fun to enter, depending on your shipbuilding skills. I hope they continue for a long time; even when Cruisinetta isn't on the cruise I'm on it's always fun to see what people have come up with and any kids in the 10-12 year age range have a lot of fun with it too.

Archived