Shirt and tie on dress up night????

ladyjane550

On our last two cruises on the Solstice and the Eclipse, those who showed up with no jacket on Formal night were offered the choice of a jacket from the coat tree or not being admitted to the dining room. Some left and some took the jacket.

This is just our experience, not to say that it is always the case.

Carole

I would second what Volfan said, it was the same on our cruise on the Eclipse and for a couple we met that were on the Solstice. They had cruised other lines and he did not need a jacket. When he arrived in the dining room he was told that he could use a jacket or they could opt out of the dining room that night. They said they happily took the jacket but were a little embarassed. They vowed to never leave his suit at home again.

The dress code requires, tux, dinner jacket or a suit. Realistically you man get away with a sport coat however you may be denied entry if you do not have a jacket. The formal night dress up is only applicable to the Main dining room, if you wish to dress more casual you may schedule a specialty dining room that night, eat in the buffet or have them bring room service off the Main Dining Room menu.

On our last two cruises on the Solstice and the Eclipse, those who showed up with no jacket on Formal night were offered the choice of a jacket from the coat tree or not being admitted to the dining room. Some left and some took the jacket.

This is just our experience, not to say that it is always the case.

Carole

Wow.:eek:

I have NEVER seen such a thing as a "coat tree" at the MDR on my cruises on "X" (mind you I have never cruised Soltice Class)

Have I just been blind? Anyone have a pic? :confused:

Not saying it isn't there, but what else am I not seeing? I have to book another cruise right now to check this out :eek:

I have NEVER seen such a thing as a "coat tree" at the MDR on my cruises on "X" (mind you I have never cruised Soltice Class)

Not saying it isn't there, but what else am I not seeing? I have to book another cruise right now to check this out :eek:

Actually, I was being euphemistic.:( I apologize for the confusion. I shouldn't have done that. The coats are on the floor to the right behind the receptionist's desk at the Select Dining area. I don't know where they are downstairs for Traditional Dining. They may actually be on a coat tree.

Carole

Actually, I was being euphemistic.:( I apologize for the confusion. I shouldn't have done that. The coats are on the floor to the right behind the receptionist's desk at the Select Dining area. I don't know where they are downstairs for Traditional Dining. They may actually be on a coat tree.

Carole

Only "do" select. Don't like traditional times and restrictions....

Seriously... never noticed a coat rack

There was one around the corner from the Asst Maitre D desk just now on Infinity. Out of the way as you entered the dining room but we could see it from where we were seated. Was not used as far as I could tell, as all men who entered the MDR were dressed in coat & tie or tux. It was a very dressy cruise overall.

i had never seen the coat tree before our recent cruise on the Equinox but after all the talk on these boards about men being "offered" jackets I was on the lookout for one on formal nights (MDR). So I don't know if it is a new thing or not but I'm not making it up.:)

i had never seen the coat tree before our recent cruise on the Equinox but after all the talk on these boards about men being "offered" jackets I was on the lookout for one on formal nights (MDR). So I don't know if it is a new thing or not but I'm not making it up.:)

I always wear a jacket and tie to formal night so never had the "redirect" so never looked/noticed.

Orlando, I know you aren't making it up.... but just for fun... can you make up a fun dinner fact for us? :p

I'll start.

"On Century Class ships (a fleet of one and growing) diners arriving on formal night to select dining venues in kilts, must show photo ID" :rolleyes::D

Do all the men need to wear a suit or sport coat on dress up night. Would a nice shirt and tie be okay instead?

On the Celebrity Millennium (Nov. 29th) I was taking pictures in the MDR before they opened the doors for guests on formal night. I struck up a conversation with someone who I think was the Maitre d' and was told (as he was looking down his nose at me) that I would "need a jacket" in a tone of voice that made it sound like there was no other option. I saw no one standing outside the MDR waiting that wasn't either dressed in a suit with tie or tuxedo.

I ate at the Lido buffet that night.

On the Celebrity Millennium (Nov. 29th) I was taking pictures in the MDR before they opened the doors for guests on formal night. I struck up a conversation with someone who I think was the Maitre d' and was told (as he was looking down his nose at me) that I would "need a jacket" in a tone of voice that made it sound like there was no other option. I saw no one standing outside the MDR waiting that wasn't either dressed in a suit with tie or tuxedo.

I ate at the Lido buffet that night.

This one kind of shocks me to be honest. I was on the Millie on the beginning of October. On the formal night there, two of my male table mates did not have on a jacket, just s shirt and tie.

Personally, I wore a suit. I have no idea if they were stopped coming into the dining room or if they were given the option from the "coat tree", but I vividly remember them not having a jacket. I remember because that was my first trip on Celebrity and my only other cruise was on Holland America where formal night involved a lot of people wearing Tuxes. I just remember thinking that formal night on Celebrity was a a lot more relaxed than what I saw on Holland America.

After reading this thread though, I think I'll keep bringing my suit with me. I thought the buffet was just OK and wouldn't want to pass up a much better meal in the MDR.

In this day and age, if the cruise line insists on a coat, take their coat or bring a sport coat and hang it on the back of your chair. Almost all men take their coats off in the dining room because of comfort or heat. My wife and I are Elite Members and have never had a problem. On our last cruise we did see a young couple turned away because he had a tie but no jacket. No coat rack was offered and the couple were not happy. In the dining room, most men had their coats on the back of their chair. I'm sure this couple will think twice about another cruise with Celebrity. In November we are sailing on Oceania's new ship, the "Riviera". Guess what, no formal nights or jackets or ties necessary. Country club casual is the dress for evenings. What a shame Celebrity can't use some common sense when dealing with customers. You know what else is nice on Oceania, no photos. Now you know why Oceania is becoming the choice for experienced travelers.

I don't usually reply to dress code threads anymore but I have to

chime in......

Quote:

"Now you know why Oceania is becoming the choice for experienced

cruisers"....

Really? That is a pretty broad statement. I have been cruising for 8

years and Oceania is totally out of my budget and I am still quite

happy with the product Celebrity provides me.

Different strokes for different folks:)

I just told my husband that he would have to bring a sports jacket for formal nights on our cruise in May and he told me he will go to buffet or have pizza those nights!He refuses to bring a jacket so who knows what we will do.Most likely order dinner to eat on our aft balcony.

Laura

I just told my husband that he would have to bring a sports jacket for formal nights on our cruise in May and he told me he will go to buffet or have pizza those nights!He refuses to bring a jacket so who knows what we will do.Most likely order dinner to eat on our aft balcony.

Laura

The speciality restaurants do not require you to

wear a jacket. Smart casual at all times, although you

may see folks there wearing tuxes.

chime in......

Quote:

cruisers"....

I agree with you Lois.....on both counts. try not to respond to dress code threads unless they stay 'nice'' which usually doesn't happen. You quoted an odd statement for an 'experienced cruiser' since they should know there are so many other dining options if you don't want to wear a jacket on most if not all the standard Lines that have formal nights, along with Celebrity. Being an experienced cruiser with 20+ cruises, we still dress up and enjoy fomal nights, and have no interest in paying twice as much just so I don't have to, especially considering the many dining options for casual dressers. We did try Aqua Class this last cruise which is Dressy Casual all nights, and on formal nights, there were a lot of tuxs and suits/jackets, and this was a 7N Caribbean cruise. To each our own. I bring a light cloth jacket with a big sunburst on the back that a wear on some of the casuall nights just because I love having pockets and so on...drives my wife nuts watching my frantically looking through all those pockets looking for my reading glasses. I just love it.

There are many good reasons to go with one of the 'casual dress' cruises beyond not having to wear a jacket, but personally, I'd rather go on more cruises than spend the extra money. But then that is personal choice.

Den

For our first celebrity cruise last May on Millennium, on the first of two formal nights my husband was dressed in new dress pants, new shirt and tie, but no jacket. Upon getting to the dining room entrance he was told he needed a jacket. Several were tried but none fit, so he squeezed into one and wore it to the table.... 30 feet at the most away, took it off and hung it on the back of the chair. The second night he just took the jacket offered, carried it to the table and once again it was hung on the chair back.

Lot of fuss for walking a few feet to our table..... as most men did the same by hanging the jacket on the chair back....

What was even stranger, and made me a little angry, was one of our table mates from Australia arrived in jeans, casual shirt and no jacket or tie and nothing was said.....

I don't know what happens on the Celebrity cruises we go on but I don't see a lot of men not wearing at least a suit. I don't see many jackets on the backs of chairs either. Maybe it's because we don't do a lot of 7 day cruises to the Carribbean, but most of the people we see are dressed as requested. There will always be a few that want to get away with as little as possible, but not many.

It's nice that Celebrity provides so many options for those who just can't bear to dress up for a couple of nights.

chime in......

Quote:

cruisers"....

Experienced cruisers go with the flow and do what is expected on the line they are sailing.

I don't know what happens on the Celebrity cruises we go on but I don't see a lot of men not wearing at least a suit. I don't see many jackets on the backs of chairs either. Maybe it's because we don't do a lot of 7 day cruises to the Carribbean, but most of the people we see are dressed as requested. There will always be a few that want to get away with as little as possible, but not many.

It's nice that Celebrity provides so many options for those who just can't bear to dress up for a couple of nights.

I agree and I have usually done the 7 days with an occasional 10 or 11. I have seen some take their jackets off but never a majority...

Archived