Change in muster drill observations

cruisun

I wish Hal would replace all the life vests fleet wide with the ones that buckle. It would make it so much easier to put them on. I did witness several people fall down the stairs after the drill when it was mandatory to wear the vests .

However, wearing them to the drill, they used to have people stop and help you if you put them on incorrectly. Perhaps they could be carried to the drill, put on, and then taken off to return to your cabin. Practicing putting them on in the cabin isn't really the answer since if you aren't putting them on correctly, you will continue to put them on incorrectly no matter how many times you practice.

I was so glad when we stopped wearing life jackets at the drill. Every time mine reeked of Estee Lauder or the like. Could all the contact germs HAL avoids in a code orange at the Lido be on the life jackets?

I think it is pretty easy to figure out how to put a life jacket on.

A little off topic, but my brother in law and his wife have cruised 3 times in the last few years and never attended a muster drill. I think they were on Carnival. Are they not mandatory there?

I agree.

I hated putting on the life vests for a drill knowing they had been worn in the hot sun many times. I'm sure they aren't washed particularly often and it made me feel dirty. I also agree with those who commented about it being too hot for some people to stand for a long time wearing it. Yes, in an emergency, of course, we all know we'd be happy to be wearing them but I don't see it necessary someone suffer from the discomfort after knowing they are able to properly put on their life vest.

I definitely agree about the tripping/falling factor. It happened often.

Maybe HAL is changing to the buckle style vests for all the ships. That would help in terms of the long straps dangling along the ground.

I think you are all missing the obvious. The main reason for the panic on that ship was because

THE CAPTAIN WAITED OVER 2 HOURS TO ANNOUNCE "ABANDON SHIP"!

Had he made the announcement immediately, all the passengers would have made the evacuation safely and without panic!

The Concordia was a ship without a captain!!!!!!!!!!!!

That should include the ship photographer. People are busy smiling and making sure that they get the "right side" instead of paying attention.

Sorry ... I should have been more clear. By the "photographer group" I did indeed mean the ship photographers. Well, and the pre-drill announcement ought to tell people to bring nothing with them ... no snacks, no beverages, no cellphones and absolutely no cameras. This is not a deck party.

Are you saying that your main concern at lifeboat drill is your clothes, makeup and hair??? Are you that vain??? Surely, when you take your lifejacket back to your cabin after the drill, you could take a few seconds to redo your hair and make-up, and to straighten your clothes.

I am not that vain. I like the practice, because doing things over and over is a way to know how to do them in the event of an actual emergency. Some people will practice in their cabins, but I would hazard that most will not. Some will not even read the safety information on the back of the cabin door or in the in-room information binder. Still others will flip past the safety information loop on tv.

Having passengers don their lifejackets correctly for the lifeboat drill is the easiest way for the ship's officers/crew to know that passengers know how to put them on properly. It's not like the ship's officers can stop passengers at random times during the cruise to pass a pop quiz.

My goodness!

No, I'm not that vain. But, I do have a very low tolerance for heat and humidity and have nearly passed out during drills in the past when we were still required to wear our lifejackets.

I think you are all missing the obvious. The main reason for the panic on that ship was because

THE CAPTAIN WAITED OVER 2 HOURS TO ANNOUNCE "ABANDON SHIP"!

Had he made the announcement immediately, all the passengers would have made the evacuation safely and without panic!

The Concordia was a ship without a captain!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it wasn't even the captain who made the announcement, it was the other Costa captain who was a passenger!

Sounds like the drills of previous years when we first started sailing HAL in the 80's! Was very strict. Appreciate very much that life vests are not worn. Saw too many people tripping and some nasty falls in the stairwells.

When we start our upcoming May cruise, we will gladly do the lifeboat drill and pay attention.

I have to say I am amazed at the posts I have seen here! It seems some people are still more worried about being *HOT* or *I never even saw the life preservers in my cabin*.......meaning I didn’t even go look!......all this does is demonstrate that even after the loss of a major vessel and lives lost..............many of the posters still are not taking safety seriously!

Guess what folks........ a vessel on fire or sinking is a *EMERGENCY*.........you will NOT be 100% safe and all the safety drills, life vests, etc...are NOT going to make you 100% safe......That does not mean you should not take them seriously because those drills and the knowledge you should take away from them may save your lives!

GO on you all can flame away.........personally I don't care!

MY ideas

1. All passengers must meet with a crew member in their cabins/deck..........to ensure you go and find your life preserver........ Hint....its big and orange!.........put it on correctly, if its on coorectly you won't trip over the straps...(so much for the silly.*gee I may trip of the straps* manure!)

This talk and meeting will also discuss the best routes (please note more then 1 route) to the muster station.

This will stop all the foolish talk about having to bring lifevests to the drill as you WILL know how to put it on already!

When the muster drill signals will sound..........and everyone will go to the muster station where everyone will keep their mouths shut and listen to drill leader for information and a roll call! In addition to this, other information will also be given out as to what to do if you can't get to your muster station..etc.

One or more boats will be lowered to the embarkation point and after the drill....EVERYONE will have to as least walk over to see it in the lowered position so you know what it looks like!

Yes it will take more time........like a hour!....(That hour may save your lives! and maybe your kids lives)......sorry the sail away party will be delayed a bit!

It may interest some of you, but merchant ships........with real seaman, do fire and abandon ship drills *EVERY WEEK*..........and each time different instruction and drills on a rotating basis is done......

Anyone have any addition things to add?

OK flame away....enjoy all the cute remarks........but I know what it is like to be in ship fire and listing/damaged ships and the loss of life..........I pray you all never do!

AKK

I agree with others about wearing the Life Vest's to Muster drill. Last Year a older couple passed out wearing theirs. Others were stepping on the Straps. This year they carry them to muster on Carnival.That's the best way;). Now they have to get rid of the people bringing drinks to the Muster and rowdy.:rolleyes:

I agree that everyone should get an observe the lifeboat at the embark position so they have an idea what they will encounter if they have to leave the ship. Who cares if it takes a little longer for the muster drill. Passenger safety is too important.

I have to say I am amazed at the posts I have seen here! It seems some people are still more worried about being *HOT* or *I never even saw the life preservers in my cabin*.......meaning I didn’t even go look!......all this does is demonstrate that even after the loss of a major vessel and lives lost..............many of the posters still are not taking safety seriously!

Guess what folks........ a vessel on fire or sinking is a *EMERGENCY*.........you will NOT be 100% safe and all the safety drills' date=' life vests, etc...are NOT going to make you 100% safe......That does not mean you should not take them seriously because those drills and the knowledge you should take away from them may save your lives![/font']

MY ideas

1. All passengers must meet with a crew member in their cabins/deck..........to ensure you go and find your life preserver........ Hint....its big and orange!.........put it on correctly, if its on coorectly you won't trip over the straps...(so much for the silly.*gee I may trip of the straps* manure!)

This talk and meeting will also discuss the best routes (please note more then 1 route) to the muster station.

This will stop all the foolish talk about having to bring lifevests to the drill as you WILL know how to put it on already!

When the muster drill signals will sound..........and everyone will go to the muster station where everyone will keep their mouths shut and listen to drill leader for information and a roll call! In addition to this, other information will also be given out as to what to do if you can't get to your muster station..etc.

One or more boats will be lowered to the embarkation point and after the drill....EVERYONE will have to as least walk over to see it in the lowered position so you know what it looks like!

Yes it will take more time........like a hour!....(That hour may save your lives! and maybe your kids lives)......sorry the sail away party will be delayed a bit!

It may interest some of you, but merchant ships........with real seaman, do fire and abandon ship drills *EVERY WEEK*..........and each time different instruction and drills on a rotating basis is done......

OK flame away....enjoy all the cute remarks........but I know what it is like to be in ship fire and listing/damaged ships and the loss of life..........I pray you all never do!

AKK

So, should they set aside about 10 hours to get all this done? I just don't understand how you think this is going to help in a real emergency. People panic, that's a given. I guess you'll be the only one saved:rolleyes:. As far as people not knowing how to put on a life jacket, all I can say is "wow". It's really not that difficult.

As you know, I am currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the life boat drill was taken much more seriously by all and roll was taken--it always is--but people were a lot more quiet and attentive. It was announced that if one refused to take part in the drill, they could not sail. Everyone participated. I did hear that someone was removed from the Westerdam for refusing to participate. Joannie we did NOT wear life jackets.

Guess what folks........ a vessel on fire or sinking is a *EMERGENCY*.........you will NOT be 100% safe and all the safety drills' date=' life vests, etc...are NOT going to make you 100% safe......That does not mean you should not take them seriously because those drills and the knowledge you should take away from them may save your lives![/font']

MY ideas

AKK

IMO, balance is necessary and there is a line when you cross from being a luxury vacation where necessary and adequate emergency instructions are presented and when it starts to turn into boot camp.

There have to be boundaries and some of this sounds like it is going too far, is impractical. That would scare some guests silly IMO and it is inappropriate.

We need simple instruction as guests; crew needs 'training' which they most assuredly receive over and over and over again.

I really don't see any benefit in wearing lifejackets at the muster drill. They are more of a hazard than a help there. They are cumbersome and uncomfortable and will wreck havoc on your clothes, makeup and hairdo in a hot and humid climate.

There's not a lot to know about putting them on. A little common sense and you're good to go.

When was the last time you attended the muster drill wearing a lifejacket?

I totally disagree. Rehearsing for any disaster is always better if you actually rehearse for the disaster. You should be required to wear your life jacket, the drill should be at your actual muster station and not in a lounge, and there should be severe repercussions for people who try to miss the drill.

DON

I totally disagree. Rehearsing for any disaster is always better if you actually rehearse for the disaster. You should be required to wear your life jacket, the drill should be at your actual muster station and not in a lounge, and there should be severe repercussions for people who try to miss the drill.

DON

HAL has always held Muster Drill at muster stations on deck.

Have you sailed HAL and not had it done that way? :confused:

IMO, balance is necessary and there is a line when you cross from being a luxury vacation where necessary and adequate emergency instructions are presented and when it starts to turn into boot camp.

There have to be boundaries and some of this sounds like it is going too far, is impractical. That would scare some guests silly IMO and it is inappropriate.

We need simple instruction as guests; crew needs 'training' which they most assuredly receive over and over and over again.

I watched a crew drill from the beach at Grand Turk. It went on for quite a while. I could see the promenade deck full of crew wearing their life vests,

the boats were lowered & driven around in circles. I`m sure crew drills have gone on in the past, but I was reassured watching HAL`s drill & had not seen this before. ( Never sat at a port - right by the ship either :))

DON

The last muster drill we attended on HAL, we did NOT have to wear our lifejackets but you did have to go to your muster station below the actual lifeboat that you would be boarding in case of emergency.

And it wasn't even the captain who made the announcement, it was the other Costa captain who was a passenger!

Did anyone see the special on TV last night about the Concordia disaster? It was on the Fifth Estate. A real eye opener. They interviewed some of the passengers who were on the ship and are now safely home. This Captain sounded like he was totally inept and arrogant. He and most if not all his senior officers abandoned ship!! I hope they throw the book at them!!

It sure makes you wonder now about the Captains of these ships. I always thought I was in capable and responsible hands. I wonder what Carnival Head Office is doing right now? Will heads be rolled over this? I sure hope so.

I watched a crew drill from the beach at Grand Turk. It went on for quite a while. I could see the promenade deck full of crew wearing their life vests,

the boats were lowered & driven around in circles. I`m sure crew drills have gone on in the past, but I was reassured watching HAL`s drill & had not seen this before. ( Never sat at a port - right by the ship either :))

We have over 70 HAL cruises and I cannot recall a single one where there was not a crew drill in one form or another. It has been 'man overboard' training, it has been firefighting, it has been all sorts of potentional emergencies they are constantly drilled to handle.

Time and again we have heard the Officer of the Watch make an announcement there will be a crew drill and when the horn sounds, no action is required by guests.... that it is for crew only. They proceed with whatever training and drill they are doing that day and there is then an announcement the exercise has ended. Many times we have seen lifeboats in the water..... not at all unusual.

Every cruise!

The key to being ready to do what is needed in an emergency is to practice. What seems simple in a relaxed situation becomes 100 times more difficult under the pressure of an emergency.

Kind of like playing the banjo. At home in the kitchen it is really easy to play any tune.... ...on stage in front of 1000 people, only the songs that are well rehearsed will come out right!

So true. And because of your post, I will make it a point to practice putting my life jacket on several times in my stateroom on our cruise next month. Better to fiddle with it in a calm and relaxed environment and get it down pat, then to try doing it under extreme duress.

We have over 70 HAL cruises and I cannot recall a single one where there was not a crew drill in one form or another. It has been 'man overboard' training, it has been firefighting, it has been all sorts of potentional emergencies they are constantly drilled to handle.

Time and again we have heard the Officer of the Watch make an announcement there will be a crew drill and when the horn sounds, no action is required by guests.... that it is for crew only. They proceed with whatever training and drill they are doing that day and there is then an announcement the exercise has ended. Many times we have seen lifeboats in the water..... not at all unusual.

Every cruise!

You are absolutely correct! I would guess that many passengers are not even aware of how many drills the crew and staff have, as most of these drills occur on a port day (usually mid-morning), when the majority of passengers are off the ship. Many of the drills are also multiple types of drills.

On our cruise aboard the Eurodam last month, one of the crew came over to an officer looking very confused and asked if he should go to his drill or report to work first. Very patiently he told this young man, you always go to your drill first and then you go to work when you are dismissed. And he hustled to his drill.

Archived