Sailing as a single

clamar

On the other hand, the potential for onboard revenue for additional persons is pretty high -- excursions, beverages (even sodas, for children), photos, etc.

And kids burning up time on the internet! We were on one cruise where it seemed like every time we went by the Explorations Cafe the same two boys were on a computer playing games or social-networking, at a minimum of $30/hr. :eek:

Whogo,

We understand the cruise lines are selling cabins. What I think most of us object to is paying DOUBLE. We're willing to pay some kind of supplement, just not 200%.

I travel quite a bit for work, and by far there are more business people who travel by themselves than with another person or in a pack. Just sit in a hotel lobby on a weekday from 3-6 pm. My point here is that solo travel is not something weird or out of the ordinary. People do it all the time.

Roz

Whogo,

We understand the cruise lines are selling cabins. What I think most of us object to is paying DOUBLE. We're willing to pay some kind of supplement, just not 200%.

I travel quite a bit for work, and by far there are more business people who travel by themselves than with another person or in a pack. Just sit in a hotel lobby on a weekday from 3-6 pm. My point here is that solo travel is not something weird or out of the ordinary. People do it all the time.

Roz

Those single travelers are paying double for their hotel room, for the most part.

I've traveled solo on two HAL charter cruises where the single supplement was 160%. However, because they were rather expensive charters, I suspect the 160% was more than 200% of the same cruise as a non-charter.

I had booked a third cruise as a solo but at the last minute (about 10 days before the sailing) a friend (I had invited earlier) decided to come along. There was only a $50 charge to add her on to the cruise.

I had a great time - never felt lonely, though I could also have alone time any time I wanted.

Everybody on this thread has full knowledge that the base price of the cabin is the total cost for two passengers. If there are more than two passengers, the total price will go up. To create excuses to whine about having to pay full price for the cabin is very unbecoming. Everyone also knows that all cruise lines has to keep an account of every individual on the ship, thus the very simple logic for pricing to be listed as per person. No one can just reserve a cabin for x amount of people.

Looking at hostels in Europe reminded me that for private rooms, one has to pay for every bed in the room; be it one, two, three or four.

Betty

why Betty why can't the cruise lines give Solo passengers have to like it How about a credit does not cruise line any thing

That makes two of us that does not have any idea of what this means.

Strictly guess work, I think they are seeking double Mariner's credits. That is a separate issue, however it would certainly be reasonable to expect the additional credits. Has anyone brought this issue to Hal's attention?

Betty

On a different subject, but very much related, I work with a very large lady who frequently flies on SW. She has to purchase 2 seats because of her size. SW will not give her double Rapid Rewards points, even though she buys 2 tickets. Seems unfair to me.

Yes, it would be nice if we paid double on HAL to get double credit.

Roz

Yes, it would be nice if we paid double on HAL to get double credit.
But only those in suites get any credits based on the fare they paid, and you're paying half the HSC that the cabin would bring in based on double occupancy. Also you're probably spending around half as much on board as two people would.

Still, it wouldn't hurt HAL at all to do it, and would create a lot of good will with singles... until couples with one income figure out that they're paying as much total fare as you (per household) and you're getting special treatment. :)

Sorry. what I wanted to say is why can't the cruise lines solo cruises some kind of break.

I think it is called “profits”. If any cruise line gave a solo traveler the cabin at half price, all of us solo travelers would want the same. Thus you suddenly have 500 cabins with only 500 people. Not profitable.

Our quest for privacy and space has forced the cruise lines into a situation that appears unfair to some and it is very unfortunate for those traveling alone. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones that found a compatible traveling companion. Before Ruth and I met, we both paid the “singles” fee. Was not particularly happy with the cost, so we did something to change it and started cruising together.

Those of you that do not have time restrictions should be able to get these last minute deals. The only problem with the short notice is the airfare.

Regardless of the situation, I hope that each and everyone of you can find something that meets your desires at a reasonable price.

Betty

But only those in suites get any credits based on the fare they paid, and you're paying half the HSC that the cabin would bring in based on double occupancy. Also you're probably spending around half as much on board as two people would.

Still, it wouldn't hurt HAL at all to do it, and would create a lot of good will with singles... until couples with one income figure out that they're paying as much total fare as you (per household) and you're getting special treatment. :)

While I agree it's not a necessity to offer two credits to solo cruisers, HAL also has to stay competitive with what other cruise lines are doing. Princess offers 2 credits to a solo sailing alone in a regular cabin and (I believe) 3 credits should a solo book a suite. It does tend to keep me looking at Princess itineraries..... (And Princess also offers a loyalty program that -- for my needs -- is better than HAL's.)

An otherwise wonderful trip to Europe was ruined when I agreed to a "potluck" roommate. Never again! :eek: If I can't afford to cruise anymore, or have to cruise less frequently, I'll do it rather than have the cabinmate from H**l.

Roz

An otherwise wonderful trip to Europe was ruined when I agreed to a "potluck" roommate. Never again! :eek: If I can't afford to cruise anymore, or have to cruise less frequently, I'll do it rather than have the cabinmate from H**l.

That's exactly why I won't take a chance and share a room with a stranger. It's hard enough on me when my mom tags along, never mind someone I don't know.:D I'm still working at a stressful job and the last thing I would want is stress on my vacation. My next cruise, I am booked in the cheapest inside guarantee. I prefer that to sharing a balcony with someone I don't know or may not like.

That's exactly why I won't take a chance and share a room with a stranger. It's hard enough on me when my mom tags along, never mind someone I don't know.:D I'm still working at a stressful job and the last thing I would want is stress on my vacation. My next cruise, I am booked in the cheapest inside guarantee. I prefer that to sharing a balcony with someone I don't know or may not like.

As well, the stateroom safe would have to be shared, (with a stranger)! :eek:

Archived