Sailing as a single

clamar

I am considering a cruise sailing as a single person. How is the rate caculated? Also, I would want an outside cabin; any possibility of that ?My husband and I always booked a Deluxe or Superior cabin so it would be hard getting use to a "Little tiny cabin".

Generally you get the single supplement price and that's typically full price for 2 people. You may be able to get the price down, but although it seems unfair, that's the way it is. Aboard the NCL Epic, they do have cabins specifically advertised as single person cabins, and the price is for one person only. Having been on that ship and seen the cabins, they are cute, but small, and all are inside cabins.;)

The single supplement has been in flux, but seems to depend on itinerary. It could be as much as full double occupancy price; it could be as low as 150% of the per person, double occupancy rate.

Of course you can book an outside cabin! You can select a specific cabin, and if it's in inventory, claim it for yourself. You can also go the guarantee route and let HAL place you in the category you select---or higher.

And don't worry about the size of the cabin. It has plenty of room, especially for a solo passenger. I've even offered to sub-let extra closet space to someone who brings enough to need the extra room.

The last response is right one - it depends on the itinerary.

I am sailing on the Ryndam alone on its April 1, 2012 15 day trans-Atlantic cruisefor just 20% over the published lowest double occupancy fare. And I have already been upgraded from an inside to an obstructed view outside cabin. What a deal! But the TA cruises typically are the lowest fares/day on any line. THey are probably your best chance to get a low single supplement.

My wife and I have been on 10 cruises, but she prefers 7 days max and likes a port intensive itinerary. I have always wanted to try a longer cruise and and a TA. This 15 day cruise fit just perfectly.

On HAL, even the smallest cabin is more than ample size for one person - I would not worry about not having enough room.

I am considering a cruise sailing as a single person. How is the rate caculated? Also, I would want an outside cabin; any possibility of that ?My husband and I always booked a Deluxe or Superior cabin so it would be hard getting use to a "Little tiny cabin".

I've only booked one single (the one coming up) and I looked at several rooms and itineraries. The one I'm at was about 198% of the double charge and it's lowest category.

It was the itinerary and ship I wanted.

Cheers,

Deb

I had a long conversations with my Travel Agent. She knew that my Dad and I preferred balcony cabins. Now that he has passed away, I wanted to see if I could adjust to cruising by myself. She told me that HAL prices their single supplements according to cruise and cabin within a cruise. Their "usual" single supplement is 160% of the published fare. It can be more or less depending upon the itinerary. She said balcony and above cabins are "usually" 200% of the published fare becasue "these can always be sold". But, on certain itineraries, these can be up to 210% of the published fare. I did some test bookings on the HAL website. What she told me seemed to be true, even on a Flash Sale.

The last response is right one - it depends on the itinerary.

I am sailing on the Ryndam alone on its April 1, 2012 15 day trans-Atlantic cruisefor just 20% over the published lowest double occupancy fare. And I have already been upgraded from an inside to an obstructed view outside cabin. What a deal! But the TA cruises typically are the lowest fares/day on any line. THey are probably your best chance to get a low single supplement.

Clement

Can you tell me who you booked this with??

I have been cruising solo for 13 years and I still haven't figured out the single charges. With HAL, the best prices for solos are in the inside and outside rooms. I found that balconies are always double the price. I have found that booking early will get you the best price. Within 3 months of sailing, the prices for solos usually double for all cabins. I have also heard that repositioning cruises are good for solo prices. On three occasions when I booked an inside guarantee, I was upgraded to an obstructed outside. Compared to other cruiselines, HAL seems to have the best prices for solos if you book early.

Does HAL do the"We'll find a roomate for you" program in which they will book you at half the double occupancy rate and try to find a same-gender roomate to share the cabin with you... and if they don't find one you get the room to yourself at the rate you booked it at?

m--

Does HAL do the"We'll find a roomate for you" program in which they will book you at half the double occupancy rate and try to find a same-gender roomate to share the cabin with you... and if they don't find one you get the room to yourself at the rate you booked it at?

m--

Yes, but not at half of double occupancy.

Recently looked into this. The cruise had 200% single supplement for solo and ~175% for single share.

Yes, but not at half of double occupancy.

Recently looked into this. The cruise had 200% single supplement for solo and ~175% for single share.

Ouch! That's highway robbery! :eek: If I had to spend almost as much as another full fare, I might as well go the whole way and have the room to myself. It's one thing to share with a stranger for double occupancy price, but this is way out of line.

Really, now, HAL gets 3.5 fares for the same cabin when a couple pays 2.0?

Wonder if it's the same rate for every itinerary?

Ouch! That's highway robbery! :eek: If I had to spend almost as much as another full fare, I might as well go the whole way and have the room to myself. It's one thing to share with a stranger for double occupancy price, but this is way out of line.

Really, now, HAL gets 3.5 fares for the same cabin when a couple pays 2.0?

This can't be designed by anyone who can balance a check book. It makes no financial sense!!!! It must be a another planned disincentive for singles!

Previous posters here are right. It depends on the itinerary, the cruise and how well it is selling. A few months ago I booked three single supplement cabins for friends and paid about 120% of the regular double occupancy fare...for each of the three cabins.

They got a great deal and were very happy. They/we also had a great cruise on Eurodam.

My favorite online cruise agency has a singles cruise search option. Today's search found 17 Holland America cruises with single surcharges of 30% to 48%. The cruise with the 30% markup is a 14 day March 30, 2012 Panama Canal cruise on the Statendam from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego.

I did not dig into this very far. I do not know if the surcharge percentage varies with the cabin category.

If I were cruising solo I would check out other cruise lines. Silversea has a number of cruises with supplements of 6% to 10%. Azmara, Princess, and Pullmantur had smaller markups than HAL.

If I knew a cruise was not fully booked I would ask for a single cabin at 0% markup and see if the cruise line would agree.

Now this totally makes zero sense. I thought the object of the "single share" program was to avoid the single supplement. I could MAYBE see a small upcharge to HAL for providing the roommate, but who in their right mind would share a cabin with a total stranger at only a 25% discount over having a whole cabin to themself?

Now this totally makes zero sense. I thought the object of the "single share" program was to avoid the single supplement. I could MAYBE see a small upcharge to HAL for providing the roommate, but who in their right mind would share a cabin with a total stranger at only a 25% discount over having a whole cabin to themself?

Yes, that is a sting. Makes me wonder how often they find a roommate for singleshares. If they predict the risk is 50/50........ Or expect they can achieve a double occupancy or better sell out.......

My favorite online cruise agency has a singles cruise search option. Today's search found 17 Holland America cruises with single surcharges of 30% to 48%. The cruise with the 30% markup is a 14 day March 30, 2012 Panama Canal cruise on the Statendam from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego.

I did not dig into this very far. I do not know if the surcharge percentage varies with the cabin category.

If I were cruising solo I would check out other cruise lines. Silversea has a number of cruises with supplements of 6% to 10%. Azmara, Princess, and Pullmantur had smaller markups than HAL.

If I knew a cruise was not fully booked I would ask for a single cabin at 0% markup and see if the cruise line would agree.

Hi whogo: Would you please email me at pgball at shaw dot ca with the name of your favourite online cruise agency. Many thanks. I'm truly done with Hal charging me 200%.:mad::(

Could it be that there's a purpose to HAL's madness on this one subject?

I seem to recall reading more than once that there were frequently persons who would book "Single Share" - then bully and make their assigned cabinmate's life so miserable that the other person would run to the Front Desk and plead for any available cabin and gladly pay the difference between the single and double rate...

...and the bully would win a cabin all to themselves at the single rate since the fare contract stated that the abandoned person who doesn't leave the cabin didn't have to pay more!

Could it be that there's a purpose to HAL's madness on this one subject?

I seem to recall reading more than once that there were frequently persons who would book "Single Share" - then bully and make their assigned cabinmate's life so miserable that the other person would run to the Front Desk and plead for any available cabin and gladly pay the difference between the single and double rate...

...and the bully would win a cabin all to themselves at the single rate since the fare contract stated that the abandoned person who doesn't leave the cabin didn't have to pay more!

That's terrible!

I wonder, if this really is the reason for HAL charging 175% for single share, why they don't just do away with it if people are abusing it? Like they did with the "dam dollars"? To me, being paired with a total stranger in order to save 25% just isn't worth it.

could it be that there's a purpose to hal's madness on this one subject?

i seem to recall reading more than once that there were frequently persons who would book "single share" - then bully and make their assigned cabinmate's life so miserable that the other person would run to the front desk and plead for any available cabin and gladly pay the difference between the single and double rate...

yikes!!!

Just curious, has anyone here actually done a single share on HAL? I have called and it was always cheaper just to pay the 200% for a lower cabin class as they only do single share with certain cabin classes.

Ron

Just curious, has anyone here actually done a single share on HAL? I have called and it was always cheaper just to pay the 200% for a lower cabin class as they only do single share with certain cabin classes.

Ron

No, nor would I (ever) want to! :eek: (I really don't like surprises)! :D And I always book an Interior Stateroom!;)

Archived