Sailing as a single

clamar

Yes, but not at half of double occupancy.

Recently looked into this. The cruise had 200% single supplement for solo and ~175% for single share.

Just relooked at the numbers: it's 150%, not 175%, and that's on a K single share. Still hefty in my book and significantly over half of double occupancy. The SS for a solo on this trip is 200% for categories I tried.

If HAL doesn't find a match then they still get a decent return on the room. If they do match, even better.

Just curious, has anyone here actually done a single share on HAL? I have called and it was always cheaper just to pay the 200% for a lower cabin class as they only do single share with certain cabin classes.

Ron

It's been a few years now, but I've done single share three times, on cruises of 33, 34, and 35 days. Since I book an inside cabin anyway, I was able to pay the per person/double occupancy price. Essentially, I got the third cruise for free that way.

The first two cabinmates were wonderful people, and they were very good experiences. The third cabinmate made for good war stories. :eek:

Even knowing how it can turn out, I would be willing to do the single share again. But not at 175%. Probably not even at 150%.

Maybe 120%. Maybe. But I think even that is too high a surcharge.

Heard a couple of horror stories about folks who have single shared....mainly the roomie doing a lot of entertaining the opposite sex in the shared room.

I am surprised HAL continues to be willing to assume the risk of the matching. Sounds like a source of potential liability to me. Maybe the very high upcharge is a way of transitioning away from doing so.

On HAL?

On HAL?????:eek:

Oh Ruth!! I am laughing so much at your post!!! FUNNY!FUNNY! On HAL??? Yeah, right..:D:eek::eek:

No sharing a cabin with a stranger for me. I could barely stand sharing with 2 that I "thought" I knew. Go it alone, pay the price and have a JOYFUL cruise.

Heard a couple of horror stories about .... the roomie doing a lot of entertaining the opposite sex in the shared room.

The Horror!!!

It would be much better if they were entertaining the same sex, IMO...

;):p

No sharing a cabin with a stranger for me. I could barely stand sharing with 2 that I "thought" I knew.

I think it may be easier to share with a stranger than someone you know.

Strangers have nothing to lose by speaking up, there's no friendship at stake, you never have to see the person at family gatherings, etc. You can speak your peace peacefully as to what would make things run smoothly for both of you without fear of consequences.

And that's the secret to getting along! Communication is key to making all relationships work, and sharing with a stranger is no different.

If you go into it in a spirit of goodwill, and assume the same from the other person, more likely than not that's what will happen.

I haven't done the single share, but feel that could be a good option for those that couldn't afford to cruise on their own. I have shared with companions I hadn't traveled with before, or knew well. And I so agree with Ruth C, it's all about communication. Before there is a problem, talk over one's expectations, bedtime, getting up time, tv on/off, shower times, and all those things that could drive you nuts. I can't speak to the single share, but with friends, I let them know I need my alone time at times and will respect theirs. I like leaving notes about what I've chosen to do if they'd like to join me. Boy, it would be painful to have a pushy, obnoxious bully take over...that is what scares me about the single share program. Then it would be "Woman overboard!"

Hi

I want to go to Alaska 14 day cruise/ lookig at date June 15. I went on this (Amsterdam) and fell in love. I was going with one of my girlfriends. She got very sick and had to be hospitialized. she was not able to go. I purchased insurance. I asked Hal if I could replace her they said yes but I had to pay Huge penality I think it was a few hundred dollards. Since I was so close I could not get anyone else to go. So I went alone hoping insurance would pay. When I got home My friiend filled out all the forms and I was paided back. I had paid her fare. So I got my cabin solo. But I did miss being alone and not having someone to chat with.

Heard a couple of horror stories about folks who have single shared....mainly the roomie doing a lot of entertaining the opposite sex in the shared room.

I am surprised HAL continues to be willing to assume the risk of the matching. Sounds like a source of potential liability to me. Maybe the very high upcharge is a way of transitioning away from doing so.

Tip: Keep a large bucket of ice handy;)

The last response is right one - it depends on the itinerary.

I am sailing on the Ryndam alone on its April 1, 2012 15 day trans-Atlantic cruisefor just 20% over the published lowest double occupancy fare. And I have already been upgraded from an inside to an obstructed view outside cabin. What a deal! But the TA cruises typically are the lowest fares/day on any line. THey are probably your best chance to get a low single supplement.

Clement

Can you tell me who you booked this with??

Max2003

I don't know that we can put in a "plug" an agency or Agent in these posts. So send me email at robertclement@comcast.net and I will reply to yoru question that way.

I am thinking of going solo. while I have to pay for two. The cabins down the hall may have 4 people in the cabin and they are only paying for two.

why not reduce the cabin for a solo passenger

Mary

Mary' date=' Azamara, (with only two ships), only charges a 25% single supplement! :) I am unsure why, with only two ships, the charge is only 25%, but I, as a solo, will be giving it serious consideration! ;)[/size']

I booked the single/share option once. At that time it was at the per person rate and a great deal. When I boarded I found I was in a handicapped cabin. Before I unpacked I called the front desk to check if I had a roomy and was told no, the cabin was all mine.

That got me thinking. If I had a roomy and she needed a handicapped cabin, would I have spent my cruise seeing to her comfort. That would be my instinct. So, I never took the chance again.

I love cruising solo. When at home it's about family and community and friends. When I cruise it's all about me. I rise when I want, go to sleep when I want, go to the shows, or not, watch TV or not, and I meet wonderful people who are also sailing solo and couples who sort of adopt me.

I am a 4 star mariner but if HAL continues to make sailing solo a financial hardship I guess I'll have to move on to another line that values my loyalty.

I am sorry if you all saw this post from a closed thread, but I think MadManofBethesda got it right. Although cruise lines advertise per person prices, they are really selling cabins. Advertising the per person "7 day Caribbean Cruises from $599" pulls in the buyers better than the per cabin rate "7 day Caribbean Cruises from $1198".

I'm sorry, but those alleged analogies are positively ridiculous. The cruise lines are charging you for occupying a cabin. If the cost of the cabin is $2,000, and you choose to occupy it by yourself rather than as a couple or with a roommate (by choice or necessity) then that is what you pay. There is no discrimination there. Just because the cruise line chooses to advertise the cabin price on a per person basis doesn't change the actual cost of the cabin.

A better analogy would be an airline advertising a round-trip fare in the newspaper by showing the one-way price. Of course, you can't fly just one-way at that price, you have to purchase a r/t ticket. According to you, this is discrimination against people who only want to fly one-way.

I understand people being upset about having to pay a single supplement, but the truth is that you're not paying any more for the cabin than two people would be paying for it. And in most cases, you're paying less than the couple. With a 150% single supplement, instead of paying $2,000 for the cabin, you're only paying $1,500. How is that discrimination?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1567807&page=2

Singles do not usually receive discounts on hotel rooms that are advertised as per room prices instead of per person prices. Singles should be grateful for any discount they receive on a cabin which is misleadingly priced on a per person basis.

I am not an accountant, and don't play one on TV. I can only guess at how cruise line bean counters operate. My guess is that the $99 3rd and 4th passenger fares we see is about what it costs to feed and launder sheets for one passenger. If so, the cruise line would break even offering a single cabin at a 200% markup less $99. If they can fill a ship with double (or more) occupancy, there is no reason to accept single cruisers at all.

I am thinking of going solo. while I have to pay for two. The cabins down the hall may have 4 people in the cabin and they are only paying for two.

why not reduce the cabin for a solo passenger

Fares are calculated on a double-occupancy basis. Adding two more people to a cabin doesn't increase HAL's costs much' date=' but selling a cabin at half price for a solo would hurt the bottom line.

edit: I just saw that the previous post said the same thing in more detail. ;)[/font']

Fares are calculated on a double-occupancy basis. Adding two more people to a cabin doesn't increase HAL's costs much, but selling a cabin at half price for a solo would hurt the bottom line.

edit: I just saw that the previous post said the same thing in more detail. ;)

...But those 2 extra people will be eating, probably as much as anybody else. Perhaps HAL hopes to recoup some of the lost revenue through the potential of selling shore excursions.

It may also be a financial benefit to the room steward...perhaps more gratuity is received with the increased number of folks in the room.

...But those 2 extra people will be eating, probably as much as anybody else. Perhaps HAL hopes to recoup some of the lost revenue through the potential of selling shore excursions.

It may also be a financial benefit to the room steward...perhaps more gratuity is received with the increased number of folks in the room.

Food costs are really not that much per person per day. Due to bulk buying and consolidation in the cruise industry, the cost is somewhere around $15/day per person on the mass market lines, based on info I've seen.

On the other hand, the potential for onboard revenue for additional persons is pretty high -- excursions, beverages (even sodas, for children), photos, etc.

Archived