An insult or just a new policy?

Orator

Thank you so much for your insight. In 12 days will be doing a B2B on Eclipse and on the day it ends I'll be boarding Millie. Nine days later I'll be boarding Equinox for 24 days. Now watch the posters who say that I'm bragging. Perhaps, but my intent is simply to reinforce what I've said over and over: I really enjoy the Celebrity experience.

I do not see your statement as bragging! I think its wonderful that you have the time and resources to travel this way, and on Celebrity!! Enjoy yourself, post to us from time to time and let us know how you are doing onboard!! I want to be able to travel just like you some day!!

K

It would be my pleasure.

Just a reminder of a hint of VIP treatment;

VIPBoardingpass.jpg

Hi Orator,

I’ve read this topic thru now from top to bottom… interesting observations by yourself… and equally interesting comments (behaviour) by others.

I’m guessing that some got their panties in a knot just because of your title… the word “Insult” seems to have really rubbed some the wrong way.

As for me, I “get” what you are saying…

Where is the loyalty? If a passenger is loyal to Celebrity… then at what point will Celebrity recognize / be loyal to them?

I think it great that this cruise line works hard to make EVERYONE feel special… we certainly felt that on our first cruise in January on the Solstice.

We didn’t get anything “extra” than anyone else aboard… ‘cept perhaps a picture with the Captain on a Formal Evening (we were waved over by a Photographer)

BUT we certainly had a marvellous time… as others said, the line is classy… they had us at “hello”. Check-In was excellent, the Champagne Welcome Aboard superb, and the accommodations, food, staff and everything else… made this one of the best vacations we’ve ever been on (gotta love those cold towels on a hot day when re-boarding)

So it was EASY (too easy?) to commit to another cruise via the on-board booking with Future Destinations.

Am I sold… you bet ya… and since we’ve returned, many of our friends are now also considering doing a cruise with Celebrity as well (one couple has booked… and 3 others are considering)

Pictures tell a 1000 words… hard to deny the “beauty” of the experience (or as Celebrity says “Modern LuXury”) … difficult to take a bad photo of a S-Class Ship in the gorgeous Caribbean. Add to that our high praise, and no wonder others are eager to learn more.

Even though I am a new cruiser, I’m keen to do a lot of research… and I’m quickly discovering that not all Cruise Lines (or parent companies) are the same.

I KNOW that Celebrity is a good fit for us. I think Princess or HAL might be ok also (especially after reading the Winter 2012 Blog that a CC Member did on the Emerald Princess… BTW a very worthwhile read thru… and not one invite to the Captain’s Table there either)

Personally, although I’m sure I’d have a good time on a Norwegian or Royal Caribbean Ship (lol any cruise in Winter is better than being at home shovelling snow and putting up with the frigid cold)… being that we are in our 50s and 60s we want something a little “more” upscale … and I am certain I’d never look at Carnival !!

I’m guessing that based similar topics such as yours, YES there has been a change in marketing strategy with Celebrity in the last while… even since I booked my cruise back in June 2011… there was a visible difference between the ad campaign that was running then (a sort of quiet understated elegance), and the one that is running now “Modern LuXury”… the latter putting more focus on a younger demographic (say 35-40), spa-life, and a push to spend more on extras.

That isn’t to say, that I will feel compelled to sign-on to the current idea… we were sold on the previous one (lol, I can’t go back to being 35) nor do I have any interest in the lifestyle they seem to be featuring more and more with their marketing in print or ads (Spa – Gym – Jogging Track – more “strenuous” shore excursions – Blu’s healthier options, etc)

BUT I do get WHY Celebrity is doing this… in order to fill all these S-Class Ships (5 in 5 Years), and the M-Class Ships (4 Refurbs) they’ve invested so heavily in… they need to market heavily… and attract NEW Customers… hopefully Customers that will stay loyal to the line and cruise with them for the next 10, 15 or 20 years.

If throwing in a perk here and there along the way, “ensures” that someone NEW to them returns to them (books another cruise) then they are ahead of the game (it is always easier to resign a current customer, than find a new one)

All that said,

As I said I do “get” where you are coming from.

In a topic that ran a month or so ago here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD, I said I was surprised as a NEWBIE to Celebrity that they didn’t hold their own Loyalty Members (Captain’s Club) in higher regard.

IMO, they are doing a great disservice to those who are loyal to the brand (Celebrity vs RCCLtd) by not having essentially 2 levels of Captain Club Membership.

ONE that caters to ALL those who have earned their “points” with the parent company (or are visiting Celebrity with “shared” status) and a second one that RECOGNIZES those who are LOYAL TO CELEBRITY.

IMO, there is a big difference between getting to 10, 25, 50, 100 or more points if you’ve done it JUST ON CELEBRITY vs any other combo.

Celebrity is “missing the boat” on this one big time.

:(:(:(

--- --- ---

Have to say though…

IF what your VIP Pass was what is illustrated above by XELLENT then YES it did leave a lot to be desired… if no one took the time to explain what it was you were essentially getting…

From the looks of things… this sole “perk” was for Express Boarding. Nothing else.

Easy though where one could assume, that being a VIP Guest would entail more.

As we’ve discussed here countless times on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD, Celebrity could certainly work on being clearer in what-is-what when it comes to policies (both in print and in applying them on their ships)

:rolleyes::confused:

=== === ===

On another point, the RUDE comments on this CC Board, never cease to amaze me. There certainly can be a lot of posters who are quick to attack someone without really much thought (and sometimes, I even wonder if they’ve read thru the posts… and ensuing conversations at all !!)

I was a tad worried when I took my cruise, that perhaps there were many cruisers who were this way in real life as well (arrogant, entitled, elitist vs elite)

Are cruisers a rude self-centered lot?

Thankfully… they are not.

The CC Boards though sure tell another story… probably because of the anonymity of it all.

In real life, there are faces to go with actions.

Consequently, the majority of folks I met onboard the Solstice were just like myself… they were enjoying their vacations and still able to be civilized to those around them with whom they were sharing this wonderful experience (a floating resort have you)

I would say that based on the various postings that I’ve read over the last 6 months… that you too are well-mannered… and not in any way one of those that exhibits “bad behaviour”… so part of the reason I guess I haven’t misunderstood what you are trying to say here (you are in some ways not an anonymous face to me… you are a familiar name that posts here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD regularly) … albeit as I said… the wording (title) perhaps did work a tad against you with this post.

And sadly, that is all that some saw… they got stuck on the title…

But as always, your posts are thought provoking and interesting... and I enjoy them.

Cheers!

Thank you. You are correct, I should have not used "insult" in the title. That is a hot button word and could very well have been responsible for some comments. The tag pictured by Arno was not the exact tag I received. Mine simply said: "VIP".It did not include "Boarding" or any other words. Hope to cruise with you soon.

Personally,I would not "ask"to be recognized just as I've never asked to be invited to a table. I have requested that someone I know be invited and have offered to give up my spot so that someone else could experience a table. That I would do again.

I'm so sorry, I misunderstood your postings. Since you mentioned that you were 2nd on your last cruise and not recognized and then mentioned that that use to acknowledge the top 3 numerous times, I thought that must have been very important to you. Please accept my apology on assuming that.

There does not seem to be any consistent policy as to who dines with the Captain. When we received our first invitation to the Captain's table on our third cruise back in the nineties, we were convinced it must be a mistake and arrived for the pre-dinner drinks half expecting to be asked to leave! We received another invitation a couple of years later and again could not work out why we had been selected, but enjoyed the special treatment.

We have never received an invitation since we become Elite several years ago, but all the lovely Elite perks keep us happy anyway.

If I understand the OP's first posting correctly, there seems to have been an unspoken policy that "super Elites" such as Orator automatically get an invitation to the Captain's table as well as the other Elite perks, to acknowedge that they are in a different category from the rest of us and it is understandable that if the policy has suddenly altered he would feel a little short changed and also wonder what other cutbacks are planned. Over the years the numbers of Elites have multiplied and I agree it would be a good idea to add extra tiers to the Captain's Club programme - but please don't remove any of the perks I already have:).

I'm so sorry, I misunderstood your postings. Since you mentioned that you were 2nd on your last cruise and not recognized and then mentioned that that use to acknowledge the top 3 numerous times, I thought that must have been very important to you. Please accept my apology on assuming that.

Most certainly accepted. Honestly, I'm not concerned about myself. I receive more than I could reasonably expect. I'm very fond of the crew and they know it and always go out of their way to surprise me. For example, on my last cruise a Maitre 'd knew that I didn't care for the final day menu. He knew I enjoyed filet. My waiter told me that there was a special meal for me:It was filet from the specialty restaurant. I just think it's a good business practice to make people feel that their loyalty is recognized. There are countless business studies that indicate that most people find a feeling of being appriciated more important than money. I hope that the Miami suits recognize this and do what they can reasonably do expand their loyalty program.

As always Steve, spot on!

Our first Celebrity cruise was back in 1993 (Horizon), and we were invited to dine at the Captain's Table. The Captain's Club hostess (I think they were called Social Hostess back then?) was named Lisa. She was a beautiful young American, looking for an adventure with a Greek cruise line. Some things have changed, but for the most part, the way they put together the Captain's Table remains the same.

We've received ten invites through the years, but we only accepted eight of those invites (another story). It's always been an honor and we've had the best of times. By the way, since we always eat during the main seating, all of our Captain's Table experiences have been with other officers, and never with the Captain.

We don't troll for invites, it just seems to happen to us about 50% of the time. We were invited several times before we became elite and several times after. I have my own theory, but I'm often wrong about things!:)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I wonder if Celebrity reviews the Roll Calls for particular cruises, and might sometimes invite "convivial" posters from the Roll Call. Personalities tend to emerge over time on a Roll Call, and maybe other posts by these posters are checked as well, for "a gracious attitude". Many times it is not that difficult to discern who a particular poster is, in reality, from the information that they volunteer on a Roll Call.

I read the boards daily and find that I do tend to form images of posters over time. If reviewing Roll Calls by the CC Hostess were indeed to be the case, I would not be surprised at the number of Captain's Table invites that you and your beautiful wife have received, Kel, and I would also expect Larry and Susie Simon, and several other kind and helpful posters to receive multiple CT invitations. And I would include Orator in that number. :)

Thank you for placing me with those fine posters (even though we may disagree from time to time :) ). One of my great pleasures was on my last cruise where I met Gonzo70 and his wonderful DW. I was happy to see him on the roll call and really wanted to meet him. He is among the very best on the board. To my surprise he was with his friends from Tennessee. I travelled with the same couple for a B2B on Eclipse last year. What a wonderful time we all had together, especially his dinner in the PH. Would like him to be added to the table if possible.

Mrs. Sloop wrote:

On another point, the RUDE comments on this CC Board, never cease to amaze me. There certainly can be a lot of posters who are quick to attack someone without really much thought (and sometimes, I even wonder if they’ve read thru the posts… and ensuing conversations at all !!)

I was a tad worried when I took my cruise, that perhaps there were many cruisers who were this way in real life as well (arrogant, entitled, elitist vs elite)

Are cruisers a rude self-centered lot?

Thankfully… they are not.

I quite agree, and the bits I read on CC didn't exactly allay my trepidation about cruising. Many times I don't believe the "rudeness" on here is intentional. I've sniped about this a time or two (and had my legs striped), so please know that my opinion is not an attack, but an observation and a request.

How true, that on board the Equinox, every person whom I had the pleasure to meet was polite, friendly, and interesting. Some were new cruisers like me, while many were experienced and had great stories to share. A cruise was the last thing I wanted to do, but DH prevailed by bargaining with me. Once onboard, before we even left the port, I was hooked and I couldn't get enough cruising conversation with both old timers and new cruisers.

Back to the unintentional rudeness. It does bother me when newcomers are dismissed as inconsequential, and I do think it's unintentional thoughtlessness. We might be new, but we are already addicted (I suppose the Staten Island ferry was my gateway drug.) Sailing on the Med was quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever done. I didn't want to sleep; I didn't want to go indoors; I wanted to watch every sunrise and every sunset. The pilot boats, the luxury yachts, the behemoth cargo ships - every little detail was so new and wonderful.

So, I guess I'm simply asking that when y'all are discussing perks, changes, the diminishing elegance and so on, that you remember us new people are in the room. Free drinks and laundry are not part of our experience, but we're all passengers together. Everybody had to start with his/her first cruise. On occasion, it would behoove a few of the old timers to step back and remember the experience of being new. Bet'cha the relationship is mutually beneficial.

By the way, my best customers are rewarded with a perk here, a freebie there. I quite understand the concept of loyalty, and your status with me is not all about how much you've spent. However, all my customers are given the best service we can provide. Thankfully, our experience on X is that we were as important as anyone else on the ship. That means we'll be back ... 241 days and counting.

Over the years the numbers of Elites have multiplied and I agree it would be a good idea to add extra tiers to the Captain's Club programme - but please don't remove any of the perks I already have:).

Yes! If they are going to start another tier, please Celebrity, (I know someone is reading this), grandfather the rest of us in. Some of us have BTDT with another loyalty program in the same parent company and don't want to see these boards transformed into a repeat performance of what happened there.:D

My perks mean cash in my pocket, so losing them is losing money.

So many have made very kind comments and I thank you. I'd rather have people focus on content rather than source, but that's not always the case.I've noticed something I find interesting. There have been three posters who appear to be most hostile.Of those one admits to not having cruised on Celebrity for many years,if ever. One is currently on his first Celebrity cruise and one has yet to cruise on a Celebrity ship. I view their comments a "knee jerk" reactions to a post and really do not take offense. For the most part, but not entirely,more experienced Celebrity cruisers seem to agree that there have been some changes in how Celebrity recognizes their most loyal passengers. I know that folks from Celebrity review these threads and I hope that they review what all posters are saying and take their remarks into consideration if and when they plan change.

Hi

I feel I have to apologise, I neither intended or thought that I was being rude, when I addressed your post last night.

I don't take the comment "get over yourself" as either nasty or rude, it is just a saying. people are all going on the cruise ships for the same reason, a holiday. I would have no interest in sitting at the captains table and making "small talk" I would rather sit and chat with some one I had met that day or just happened to be sitting with at dinner.

As I said, I am going with my family and this is who I want to spend the time with.

To me if you get a perk because you happend to have travelled more that once, then it should be taken as just that, a perk & not expect more!

Again, please accept my apologise, for any offence taken by you or any of the readers of my post.

:o

I quite agree, and the bits I read on CC didn't exactly allay my trepidation about cruising. Many times I don't believe the "rudeness" on here is intentional. I've sniped about this a time or two (and had my legs striped), so please know that my opinion is not an attack, but an observation and a request.

How true, that on board the Equinox, every person whom I had the pleasure to meet was polite, friendly, and interesting. Some were new cruisers like me, while many were experienced and had great stories to share. A cruise was the last thing I wanted to do, but DH prevailed by bargaining with me. Once onboard, before we even left the port, I was hooked and I couldn't get enough cruising conversation with both old timers and new cruisers.

Back to the unintentional rudeness. It does bother me when newcomers are dismissed as inconsequential, and I do think it's unintentional thoughtlessness. We might be new, but we are already addicted (I suppose the Staten Island ferry was my gateway drug.) Sailing on the Med was quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever done. I didn't want to sleep; I didn't want to go indoors; I wanted to watch every sunrise and every sunset. The pilot boats, the luxury yachts, the behemoth cargo ships - every little detail was so new and wonderful.

So, I guess I'm simply asking that when y'all are discussing perks, changes, the diminishing elegance and so on, that you remember us new people are in the room. Free drinks and laundry are not part of our experience, but we're all passengers together. Everybody had to start with his/her first cruise. On occasion, it would behoove a few of the old timers to step back and remember the experience of being new. Bet'cha the relationship is mutually beneficial.

By the way, my best customers are rewarded with a perk here, a freebie there. I quite understand the concept of loyalty, and your status with me is not all about how much you've spent. However, all my customers are given the best service we can provide. Thankfully, our experience on X is that we were as important as anyone else on the ship. That means we'll be back ... 241 days and counting.

Very well-stated!

As to the Staten Island Ferry- that was a very romantic cheap date for DH & I back in the day.....

Hi

I feel I have to apologise, I neither intended or thought that I was being rude, when I addressed your post last night.

I don't take the comment "get over yourself" as either nasty or rude, it is just a saying. people are all going on the cruise ships for the same reason, a holiday. I would have no interest in sitting at the captains table and making "small talk" I would rather sit and chat with some one I had met that day or just happened to be sitting with at dinner.

As I said, I am going with my family and this is who I want to spend the time with.

To me if you get a perk because you happend to have travelled more that once, then it should be taken as just that, a perk & not expect more!

Again, please accept my apologise, for any offence taken by you or any of the readers of my post.

Gladly accept. I hope you have a wonderful family cruise. You might become addicted to Celebrity and return again and again.

Gladly accept. I hope you have a wonderful family cruise. You might become addicted to Celebrity and return again and again.

Thank you...

:confused:I am actually quite gutted that offence was taken... hopefully all water under the bridge now!

I hope we do have a fantastic holiday, and you never know I could be on here in a few years giving off about the loyality programme . . . .lol ;)

Very well-stated!

As to the Staten Island Ferry- that was a very romantic cheap date for DH & I back in the day.....

My parents (long gone) courted on the Staten Island ferry. It was a cheap date, indeed. They were married in 1944. He proposed in Washington Square Park.

Thanks for the memories.

I wonder if Celebrity reviews the Roll Calls for particular cruises, and might sometimes invite "convivial" posters from the Roll Call. Personalities tend to emerge over time on a Roll Call, and maybe other posts by these posters are checked as well, for "a gracious attitude". Many times it is not that difficult to discern who a particular poster is, in reality, from the information that they volunteer on a Roll Call.

I read the boards daily and find that I do tend to form images of posters over time. If reviewing Roll Calls by the CC Hostess were indeed to be the case, I would not be surprised at the number of Captain's Table invites that you and your beautiful wife have received, Kel, and I would also expect Larry and Susie Simon, and several other kind and helpful posters to receive multiple CT invitations. And I would include Orator in that number. :)

lil,

That's very nice!:) I do agree that my wife is my ticket to the table!:p

Kel

Orator:

I posted a comment several years ago in which I suggested that the elite gathering was a wonderful setting for a chance to meet like-minded people. Someone took an immediate offense that my comment implied that I did not want to converse with disagreeable (my opinion of the reply) people.

This cruise critic site was, at one time, a wonderful place to discuss or critique the cruising experiences on Celebrity or competing cruise lines. In the last few years it seems to have attracted a lot of posters who have never cruised on a Celebrity ship but want to attack anyone who has an opinion about an actual cruising experience.

It is becoming ever more difficult to have a meaningful discussion with others whose opinion we value as experienced cruisers and who actually respond to the thread without attacking the character of the poster. I always look forward to a response from well-traveled fellow cruise addicts and dread the inevitable comments from the piranhas who troll the threads for a chance to insult someone.

Over the last few years I have noticed a trend away from rewarding those who travel frequently aboard Celebrity ships. Individual interaction with crew and staff may be as friendly as ever, but as the TV on board drones on, the message implied is "whether this is your first voyage or your 100th, the experience will be the same."

Over the last year or so it seems that the chance of getting to the table is easier for a first time cruiser or a first time X cruise for an RCL cruiser than for a frequent elite Celebrity cruiser even if you have cruised with Celebrity more than a hundred times.

It is the frequent Celebrity cruiser who will notice the change in policy.

An invitation to the Captain's Table is considered by many as an acknowledgement that their loyalty to the brand is recognized by the staff on board as well as by company policy. As one who cruises on a Celebrity ship for more than three months of the year, I have always valued the tradition and am disappointed that Celebrity no longer extends this honor to other frequent cruisers. Of the millions of passengers who have ever sailed on a Celebrity ship, there are perhaps only 50 couples who have done so more than a 100 times. Any time that you are told that you are one of the top cruisers on the ship, that you are singled out as a VIP and then ignored then I believe that you have a right to be concerned about the change in policy.

If you value company loyalty as a two way street, as a mutual commitment for rewarding those who remain faithful to the brand, then Celebrity's policy is shortsighted. RCL does it much better.

+ 1 Have lurked here for many years, and finally decided to get a screen name and start posting, but the venomous responses on this thread have really put me off.

Have been sailing with X since 1994, have hit every ship in fleet history except Meridian, including Xpedition (most of them multiple times)...saying this not to brag, but to set up where I am coming from...so save the venom people.

OPs concern is quite valid and his question reasonable...the response he got totally unwarranted. Xcellent has stated it quite aptly as well.

Is the literally hundreds of thousands of $$ in revenue that some high repeat cruisers have provided to X of value to X ?

No bridge tours as a courtesy...$75 now...no Captain's Table...And if another poster's report is true that CC hostess says X officers don't want old crusties at the table, only pretty young things, the Human Resources Department needs to get involved at high levels at X.

Conversely, some of the Elite benefits granted after 10 credits are not congruent with revenue and degree of loyalty. The free booze after 10 cruise credits is ridiculous, and people REALLY take advantage of that to the point of being unable to stand up...Stay as a 3rd pax for $300 in a suite on a short Caribbean 5 times and you are Elite. That was not properly thought out.

They need a new threshhold in Captain's Club...we were hearing rumors, and then not so much lately...

Love the idea of mixing things up at Captain's Table, but maybe certain threshholds of Captain's Club credits should pre-empt new cruisers or ladies with plunging necklines....

Have my teflon suit on now for the flames and anti-venom on standby....

Clipper110A,

I believe that your not having posted until now is our loss. Welcome. And I hope that, with two warnings now, there will not be a nasty response to this post. I suspect that the next one may well get this thread locked and that would be a shame.

I am the poster who reported that the cc hostess was told by the cpt. that he wanted "young and fun" people at his table. I did not mean that to be taken as Celebrity policy, but as the request of this particular cpt. Just to be clear.

Anne

...No bridge tours as a courtesy...$75 now...no Captain's Table....

I think some of you are railing at a strawman...

I just returned from a cruise on Century over Christmas and New Years...

I believe I was #2 or #3 among the passengers in terms of "loyalty" (apparently defined here by how many cruises you've done with them)...I was invited to the Captain's Table First formal night--along with the Elite members who were #1 and #3/2 on the list...

By the end of the cruise, EVERY Elite onboard had been invited...

As to $75 for a bridge tour? Absolutely NOT...We were invited for a bridge tour...and a galley tour...and a backstage tour...all with a very small group...all completely complimentary

Now, is there an issue that some folks who are not Elite are invited to the Captain's Table? This is NOTHING NEW...Celebrity has ALWAYS used the Captain's Table to honor passengers based on a variety of issues...One cruise I was on, the US Ambassador to Denmark was cruising with us and invited...Should he have been bypassed so that one more Elite Captains Club member could have gotten the honor?

I don't have 100+ Celebrity cruises--but I am Elite and have been for some time now...I have been invited to the Captain's Table four times...Other times, though I am Elite, I have not gotten an invite...I am okay with that...Sometimes they just have a lot of Elites onboard...Sometimes, perhaps, we are passed up because they invite someone for some other reason...

I am FINE with it...I have never thought that they don't value my business...

When I cruise with Celebrity, I get everything I pay for and more...

They don't owe me anything more than someone paying top dollar for his first Celebrity cruise...EVERY Celebrity passenger is owed the same things...That they choose to give me a little more--GREAT...even if I can't count on every possible perk every time...

Hi

Classy post, SwampDuck. Since we aren't talking face-face, we don't hear our inflections or a back-and-forth that clarifies what could be misunderstood. There are cultural and national differences in terms and phrases that can be easily misinterpreted. I've had to appologize for a few of my posts, and you handled yours very well.

Enjoy your cruise and would love to meet up sometime. We enjoyed a few Irish ports, and now want to visit and stay more than what a cruise allows - such a friendly and beautiful place that we would love to explore more.

Den

Clipper110A,

I believe that your not having posted until now is our loss. Welcome. And I hope that, with two warnings now, there will not be a nasty response to this post. I suspect that the next one may well get this thread locked and that would be a shame.

I am the poster who reported that the cc hostess was told by the cpt. that he wanted "young and fun" people at his table. I did not mean that to be taken as Celebrity policy, but as the request of this particular cpt. Just to be clear.

Anne

Thanks Anne for the welcome. I have learned alot over the years from the postings here. I understand the distinction you are drawing. It would in fact, by the nature of the statement in itself, be impossible for that to be a formal corporate policy. In fact that is exactly what makes the statement inappropriate. X officers have a personal life..on the ship they are working. HQ should be providing guidance in that area.

I think some of you are railing at a strawman...

I just returned from a cruise on Century over Christmas and New Years...

I believe I was #2 or #3 among the passengers in terms of "loyalty" (apparently defined here by how many cruises you've done with them)...I was invited to the Captain's Table First formal night--along with the Elite members who were #1 and #3/2 on the list...

By the end of the cruise, EVERY Elite onboard had been invited...

As to $75 for a bridge tour? Absolutely NOT...We were invited for a bridge tour...and a galley tour...and a backstage tour...all with a very small group...all completely complimentary

Now, is there an issue that some folks who are not Elite are invited to the Captain's Table? This is NOTHING NEW...Celebrity has ALWAYS used the Captain's Table to honor passengers based on a variety of issues...One cruise I was on, the US Ambassador to Denmark was cruising with us and invited...Should he have been bypassed so that one more Elite Captains Club member could have gotten the honor?

I am FINE with it...I have never thought that they don't value my business....That they choose to give me a little more--GREAT...even if I can't count on every possible perk every time...

Thanks for your response. We agree on much.

We enjoy the cruise, the rest is a pleasant surprise. At the same time, noting a trend difference in marketing focus over multiple sailings is normal and natural. Would not equate it to "railing". Glad you had a good experience with extras on Century, our last few (as top cruisers onboard) since autumn 2011 have been like the experiences reported by Orator and Xcellent.

Celebrity defines "loyalty", not the boards or posters here, since Celebrity establishes and administers the Captain's Club program. It is also not completely identified by "how many cruises you've done with them", but attempts to slightly calibrate to a revenue based model based favoring longer cruises and premium cabins. While it is not directly points per dollar based like with hotel programs or some airline models that have moved away from the miles concept to reward frequent custom, there is an element of the current program that is based on revenue and not raw sailings. I expect an evolution more to a direct points per dollar spent model eventually in the industry.

My point is that the top cruiser (and there are MANY times where we are not the top cruisers) ought to be firmly in the mix. US Ambassador to Denmark, maybe 2, 4 seats ? Seven night sailing, 4 Captain's tables (or Hotel manager/Chief Engineer, whatever), there should be room for at least the top cruiser on board to be invited. And if the Captain doesn't think they are "young and fun" enough, too bad. He is at work.

We always see it is an honor, but we don't always accept. Often we like to see others have the opportunity. There is one Captain we would not dine with due to the experience we had at the Table.

We are also delighted to have spent time with first time cruisers at Captain's table and that is great also.

I will try to be careful with my word and label choices but now feel that I must chime-in, as I was sailing with Orator and Xcellent on the Millenium in February, and sharing many conversations with them in Michael's Club. DW and I did five B2Bs, 24 days, on her and got to know many crew members and officers quite well. Most knew me by my middle name which does not show up on the seapass card. We were honored to get very special treatment by almost all who came to know us; such as hand shakes wherever we passed, hugs when finally departed, smiles, two bottles of wine from guest services (Pearl & Rickie) and free drinks at the bars (on more than one occasion) from bar managers.

We got nothing from the Captain Club Host except the average courtesies and he never knew or used our names. I do not believe he was capable of, or allowed to, do anything but his basic job. This is OK, I guess, but thank goodness others on the ship knew the pleasure of giving more recognition to those Pax who appreciated it, and could see the pleasure that the Pax got from recieving it.

I think the CC host /hostess must be more than just an administrator! This may or may not include doling out invitations to the Captains' Tables.

IMHO

I will try to be careful with my word and label choices but now feel that I must chime-in, as I was sailing with Orator and Xcellent on the Millenium in February, and sharing many conversations with them in Michael's Club. DW and I did five B2Bs, 24 days, on her and got to know many crew members and officers quite well. Most knew me by my middle name which does not show up on the seapass card. We were honored to get very special treatment by almost all who came to know us; such as hand shakes wherever we passed, hugs when finally departed, smiles, two bottles of wine from guest services (Pearl & Rickie) and free drinks at the bars (on more than one occasion) from bar managers.

We got nothing from the Captain Club Host except the average courtesies and he never knew or used our names. I do not believe he was capable of, or allowed to, do anything but his basic job. This is OK, I guess, but thank goodness others on the ship knew the pleasure of giving more recognition to those Pax who appreciated it, and could see the pleasure that the Pax got from recieving it.

I think the CC host /hostess must be more than just an administrator! This may or may not include doling out invitations to the Captains' Tables.

IMHO

What were you looking for from the Captain Club Host?

............One cruise I was on, the US Ambassador to Denmark was cruising with us and invited...Should he have been bypassed so that one more Elite Captains Club member could have gotten the honor?......

When I cruise with Celebrity, I get everything I pay for and more...

They don't owe me anything more than someone paying top dollar for his first Celebrity cruise...EVERY Celebrity passenger is owed the same things...That they choose to give me a little more--GREAT...even if I can't count on every possible perk every time...

I agree. The first time we were invited to the Captain's Table we were neither Elite nor Ambassador to Denmark (or ambassador to anywhere else).

So why were we invited? We have no idea. We weren't even in a suite.

Since becoming Elite, we have been invited again and have not been invited again (not invited more times than invited). We enjoy the cruise just as much either way and it makes not the slightest difference to us whom they invite or why. In fact, I would rather have them invite the people who really want to be invited, as it seems to be of much more importance to some than it does to us.

Archived