An insult or just a new policy?

Orator

On one Azamara cruise, I was invited to the hotel director's table. It included pre-dinner cocktails, a special entrance into the dining room, a group photo, and food that was superb. It was the only time that the lobster tail wasn't dried up. It was a great time. I still don't know how I was selected. I did enjoy it. Maybe, I'll be treated to the same experience on Celebrity. It wasn't my first Azamara cruise. The group had all types of people...very interesting.

We attained Elite in 2010 and and really loved the cocktail party on the Inaugural Eclipse TA that fall and the other perks that go with it - we were actually amazed it was so easy to attain this level . We were lucky enough to be able to do four cruises on Celebrity in 2011. We also had the same Captain's Club Hostess on all four cruises even though it was two different ships! We loved being with her over the trips and her family on one of the cruises so maybe we made an impression. So even though we had only like 16 cruise credits she invited us to the Captain's table.

We are fun, gay and dress well, does that mean anything I don't know. But guess what I declined the invitation! As part of our Cruise Critic Roll call they had arranged a group dinner in Qsine months before that we had signed up for - and I could not in good conscience bow out of that the night before so declined the CT invite. In talking with our co-ordinater of the event at Qsine we mentioned in passing to him we had declined the CT to be with the group - he was incensed - he had been been on something like 27 cruises and why was he not invited? Sorry CC I will take the CT next if I am so lucky!

Richard

Thank you so much for your insight. In 12 days will be doing a B2B on Eclipse and on the day it ends I'll be boarding Millie. Nine days later I'll be boarding Equinox for 24 days. Now watch the posters who say that I'm bragging. Perhaps, but my intent is simply to reinforce what I've said over and over: I really enjoy the Celebrity experience.

Now that is my goal -to be able to do that many days on a ship. Our daughter has said she is not putting us in an assisted care facility as they are too expensive. She is instead putting us on a cruiseship which are much cheaper!!!

I don't think the OP thinks he is "personally" any more important than anyone else but just wondering if there is a change in philosophy with the cruiseline.

Although I believe the little extras should be spread around for all to enjoy, that doesn't mean the people who are loyal to the cruiseline don't deserve a little extra special treatment.

If you were a business owner and one of your customers had been frequenting your business for many years and spent lots of money on a regular basis would you feel any gratitude at all for that business? Most people would be delighted to have customers like that and would probably find some way to show their appreciation.

For example if you went to the same beauty shop every week for ten years would you expect them to know your name or should they just pretend that you are just another stranger entering the shop for the first time? After all, they will be paying the same amount for their hairdo as you.

Do you think it's possible that people who are loyal to a certain "brand" probably recommend it to many friends and acquaintances? Do you think they may possibly bring family with them to patronize that business and help create a whole new generation of customers for them?

If you someone doesn't understand the value of a steady, longtime customer I can't imagine he would be a very successful business person. The fact is good customers are not that easy to come by and should be appreciated.

Well said!

Hi gang ~ apparently Host Walt's plea wasn't heard by all the posters to this thread so I'm going to repeat a little bit of it.

PLEASE follow our community guidelines and stop posting commentsa that violate those guidelines. That includes statements such as "get over yourself." There is no room on our boards for comments like these. While everyone is entitled to their opinion and permitted to disagree with others, you are not permitted to be nasty, disrespectful or rude to members.

Please hit the alert triangle when you see a post that violates our guidelines. We'll try to take care of it as soon as possible.

Thanks to those who have tried to keep this thread on track and happy cruising!

I have not commented on this thread until now. The following comments are not made in relation to what I perceive either the OP or any subsequent poster has done or might have done on board, it is an observation

As I see it, more and more people are, for a variety of reasons, managing to rack up loyalty points. In the next 5 years I would expect you would see no public recognition of hitting 100 points as so many are hitting that.

There is an sensitive issue that sometimes does not sit well with me. I start by saying we are currently fortunate to be able to cruise as often as we can but for some health related reasons we are not sure that will be continuing beyond the next 7 years or so. Then we may manage one trip a year and we will be so sad but will enjoy that trip.

I appreciate people post that they have x cruises in the bag and have booked y more to give credibility to their posts. Sometimes that hits a raw nerve with others though, and can even provoke a "lucky you" response, if only I had that budget/ was healthy enough to/ did not have the carer responsibilities etc etc. It is not too bad on the X boards, but is become a trend this repetitive boasting on some other boards including Azamara which when you think of the expense of these trips can be eyewatering

When we have been on board, we have met many lovely guests who you would not know they had cruised many many times before and others who certainly let you know of their "status" and spent too long monopolising senior officers each day almost to evidence their importance.

On a cruise last year on night 1 a gentleman at our dinner table made it known he and his wife would only be dining with us on the nights he did not have invites from officers, we asked did he have invites in his room already - no he said, but he would be making sure he did get asked. We watched the behaviour of him and his unfortunate wife as he crawled round the CC host, officers at the Meet and Mingle, in the Elite lounge etc and it is true he did have 3 invites (one captains table, one with the HD in a speciality and one with the Engineer in the MDR) over the cruise. Maybe he would have had these invites anyway, maybe they did enjoy his company but the way he made everyone else on his table know was in my mind, crass. I so felt for a young couple on the table, first time cruisers who were probably already uncomfortable having been put with this "oldie group"

There is a nice ending to this one, the rest of us all got on so well, we had a hoot and decided to go to Tuscan together one night and to be kind booked it on the basis of a night our VIP friend indicated he had another offer. It transpires his offer did not materialise and he and his wife sat alone at a table for 10

So, I have no issue with the fact that as they say in Animal Farm "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others", lets just all stay sensitive to what this can mean to others.

Maybe this sounds weird within the context of this thread but I can't really think of anybody I've met during a cruise that rubbed me the wrong way, regardless of any real or perceived status (social or otherwise).

The bulk of our cruises have been transatlantic crossings with nice relaxing sea days in abundance, so perhaps the mellow nature of such trips plays a role.

But in general I find fellow cruisers to be extraordinarily happy, open, engaging, passionate, polite and respectful. Best of the best in every way.

And that's why I'm utterly baffled as to some of the negative behaviors seen here. You (and you know who you are) can't possibly be the same happy pax we've sailed with before.

If you disagree with somebody's point of view you're certainly free--encouraged, actually--to share your perspective. But personal attacks ultimately say more about the attacker than they do about the intended victim.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

I don't know if this was asked, but what do you get at the captain's table?? Do you get better food?? Service?? Free Drinks??

I have been on only a couple cruises but I have my first Celebrity cruise coming up in a couple weeks. I have never heard of a captain's table, just a captains night which is the formal night from what I remember.

I just don't understand all the arguments over sitting at some special table one night out of the cruise.

Maybe this sounds weird within the context of this thread but I can't really think of anybody I've met during a cruise that rubbed me the wrong way, regardless of any real or perceived status (social or otherwise).

The bulk of our cruises have been transatlantic crossings with nice relaxing sea days in abundance, so perhaps the mellow nature of such trips plays a role.

But in general I find fellow cruisers to be extraordinarily happy, open, engaging, passionate, polite and respectful. Best of the best in every way.

And that's why I'm utterly baffled as to some of the negative behaviors seen here. You (and you know who you are) can't possibly be the same happy pax we've sailed with before.

If you disagree with somebody's point of view you're certainly free--encouraged, actually--to share your perspective. But personal attacks ultimately say more about the attacker than they do about the intended victim.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Unfortunately, Alan, People will be people and sometimes their behavior is negative.

I have witnessed some of the most obnoxious behavior from pax with high loyalty status who not only want special treatment and recognition, they expect their fellow pax to bow down and kiss their well-traveled feet.:)

The majority of people don't flaunt their status and just enjoy the perks but those few with "entitlement syndrome" can make the rest of us uncomfortable. I've seen it.

That's an interesting observation, Kellie...because my post was not with regards to frequent cruisers who had achieved a jammy perk level.

Rather, it was actually directed at those CC'ers who had some sort of personal axe to grind with the OP.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Unfortunately, Alan, People will be people and sometimes their behavior is negative.

I have witnessed some of the most obnoxious behavior from pax with high loyalty status who not only want special treatment and recognition, they expect their fellow pax to bow down and kiss their well-traveled feet.:)

The majority of people don't flaunt their status and just enjoy the perks but those few with "entitlement syndrome" can make the rest of us uncomfortable. I've seen it.

Love your attitude with your signature. Instead of listing the number of cruises, you simply say never enough and loyalty status does it really matter.

It doesn't matter to me if a person is on their first cruise or their hundredth cruise, it is the person and their actions that makes me respect them or even give them the time of day, not the number of cruises they have been on.

So many have made very kind comments and I thank you. I'd rather have people focus on content rather than source, but that's not always the case.I've noticed something I find interesting. There have been three posters who appear to be most hostile.Of those one admits to not having cruised on Celebrity for many years,if ever. One is currently on his first Celebrity cruise and one has yet to cruise on a Celebrity ship. I view their comments a "knee jerk" reactions to a post and really do not take offense. For the most part, but not entirely,more experienced Celebrity cruisers seem to agree that there have been some changes in how Celebrity recognizes their most loyal passengers. I know that folks from Celebrity review these threads and I hope that they review what all posters are saying and take their remarks into consideration if and when they plan change.

I do not think this was either "new policy" or an "insult"...

We have been invited to the Captain's Table several times...and I had often been puzzled as to the hows and whys...and have found there are many different reasons someone may or may not be invited...

It is not necessarily a perk for having the most cruises--though the person with the most cruises is most often invited...But it is certainly not a perk for just being Elite...On many cruises, there are simply way more Elites than there are spaces at the table...

We have found that at times, the decision for an invitation comes down from corporate headquarters...but mostly it is at the discretion of the Captains Club Hostess...She, of course, has a list of the Elites on board and often goes to that list...

But, they will also often invite the passengers in the larger suites...

And they will invite certain dignitaries...We have found ourselves seated with some important diplomatic figures, with a long-time RCCL employee and with people who have distinguished themselves by doing some favor or special act for the ship or cruise line...

And this has been the case for many years...We have noticed no change in policy...

Now, we just returned last month from the Century, from a wonderful Christmas/New Years Australia New Zealand cruise...

Of course, we were treated royally...and invited to the Captain's Table for the first formal night...

Over the course of the cruise, we met EVERY "Elite" onboard--according to the Captain's Club Hostess, Korina, there were only 35 of us onboard! (Apparently, with a new presence in Australia, many of the passengers were Australian and experiencing Celebrity for the first time)...Anyway, ALL of the Elites pretty much frequented Michael's Club most evening...so we had the opportunity, over a 13 night cruise to get to know everyone...

And, during the three formal nights, two seatings, Korina was able to accommodate EVERY Elite at one of the Captain's Tables...

One couple missed their appointed night (second formal night early seating) due to being on a shore excursion that ran late...and Korina had them invited a second time on the last formal night, late seating, as two seats were open...

At our formal night seating, we sat with the woman who had the largest number of cruises with Celebrity and her family, another couple who were Elite and ourselves--8 people plus two officers...

Two of the Ellite couples were actually on their FIRST Celebrity cruise...but one was Diamond and the other Diamond Plus on RCCL, so the reciprocity thing got them the Elite perks...and both couples had Captain's Table invitations...

Now, all of this was within the past two months, so I really doubt that any new policy to NOT invite Elites has taken effect...

When we were on the Eclipse last--July of 2010--there were a considerable number of Elites onboard--so many that they moved the drinking hours to the Sky Lounge...and far too many to invite all of the Elites to the Captain's Table...

We were invited along with others from our "group"...we had a group who had met on our Cruise Critic Roll Call, found we were all Elite and met every night for pre-dinner drinks in the Sky Lounge...It was an "International" Group: US, UK, Australia...and we had a great time every cocktail hour...The Captains Club Hostess apparently took note of us there and had us invited to the Captains Table...One of our group said she had heard that the Ship's Officer--in this case, the Chief Engineer--had requested a "lively, fun group"...so, in this case, it was partly that we were Elite--why the Hostess knew us--and also that we stood out to her in some positive way...

That said, I never embark on a cruise EXPECTING to be invited...I understand that it is an honor and that it is NOT a privilege...If it happens, I graciously accept and cherish the experience...If I am NOT invited, there are loads of other reasons to enjoy the cruise...and I don't think my experience has been ruined in any way...

At this point, I have now been invited to the Captain's Table four times on Celebrity...and consider every one an honor...

Slightly off the topic, I cruised on the Oceania Marina in August...on the "Jacques Pepin Cruise" as the distinguished Master Chef, Jacques Pepin, cruised with us...Rather than being invited to a Captain's Table, we were invited to dine one night in La Reserve--the high end specialty restaurant that seats only 16 per night at one large table with 7 gourmet courses and wine pairings... WITH Jacques and his wife and his Sous Chef and his wife...Apparently, Jacques entertained three nights during the cruise in La Reserve and we were especially honored by this invitation...it was an incredible and special evening...and completely unexpected...

I think, if you cruise enough, eventually these things happen...

But it is best NOT to expect them...not to think of them as your right or privilege...

Otherwise, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment...you will leave your cruise feeling somehow "insulted"...

If you just expect the same great service and experience that EVERYONE gets on a cruise line like Celebrity, then, when the special happens, it will feel even more special...

I do not think this was either "new policy" or an "insult"...

We have been invited to the Captain's Table several times...and I had often been puzzled as to the hows and whys...and have found there are many different reasons someone may or may not be invited...

It is not necessarily a perk for having the most cruises--though the person with the most cruises is most often invited...But it is certainly not a perk for just being Elite...On many cruises, there are simply way more Elites than there are spaces at the table...

We have found that at times, the decision for an invitation comes down from corporate headquarters...but mostly it is at the discretion of the Captains Club Hostess...She, of course, has a list of the Elites on board and often goes to that list...

But, they will also often invite the passengers in the larger suites...

And they will invite certain dignitaries...We have found ourselves seated with some important diplomatic figures, with a long-time RCCL employee and with people who have distinguished themselves by doing some favor or special act for the ship or cruise line...

And this has been the case for many years...We have noticed no change in policy...

Now, we just returned last month from the Century, from a wonderful Christmas/New Years Australia New Zealand cruise...

Of course, we were treated royally...and invited to the Captain's Table for the first formal night...

Over the course of the cruise, we met EVERY "Elite" onboard--according to the Captain's Club Hostess, Korina, there were only 35 of us onboard! (Apparently, with a new presence in Australia, many of the passengers were Australian and experiencing Celebrity for the first time)...Anyway, ALL of the Elites pretty much frequented Michael's Club most evening...so we had the opportunity, over a 13 night cruise to get to know everyone...

And, during the three formal nights, two seatings, Korina was able to accommodate EVERY Elite at one of the Captain's Tables...

One couple missed their appointed night (second formal night early seating) due to being on a shore excursion that ran late...and Korina had them invited a second time on the last formal night, late seating, as two seats were open...

At our formal night seating, we sat with the woman who had the largest number of cruises with Celebrity and her family, another couple who were Elite and ourselves--8 people plus two officers...

Two of the Ellite couples were actually on their FIRST Celebrity cruise...but one was Diamond and the other Diamond Plus on RCCL, so the reciprocity thing got them the Elite perks...and both couples had Captain's Table invitations...

Now, all of this was within the past two months, so I really doubt that any new policy to NOT invite Elites has taken effect...

When we were on the Eclipse last--July of 2010--there were a considerable number of Elites onboard--so many that they moved the drinking hours to the Sky Lounge...and far too many to invite all of the Elites to the Captain's Table...

We were invited along with others from our "group"...we had a group who had met on our Cruise Critic Roll Call, found we were all Elite and met every night for pre-dinner drinks in the Sky Lounge...It was an "International" Group: US, UK, Australia...and we had a great time every cocktail hour...The Captains Club Hostess apparently took note of us there and had us invited to the Captains Table...One of our group said she had heard that the Ship's Officer--in this case, the Chief Engineer--had requested a "lively, fun group"...so, in this case, it was partly that we were Elite--why the Hostess knew us--and also that we stood out to her in some positive way...

That said, I never embark on a cruise EXPECTING to be invited...I understand that it is an honor and that it is NOT a privilege...If it happens, I graciously accept and cherish the experience...If I am NOT invited, there are loads of other reasons to enjoy the cruise...and I don't think my experience has been ruined in any way...

At this point, I have now been invited to the Captain's Table four times on Celebrity...and consider every one an honor...

Slightly off the topic, I cruised on the Oceania Marina in August...on the "Jacques Pepin Cruise" as the distinguished Master Chef, Jacques Pepin, cruised with us...Rather than being invited to a Captain's Table, we were invited to dine one night in La Reserve--the high end specialty restaurant that seats only 16 per night at one large table with 7 gourmet courses and wine pairings... WITH Jacques and his wife and his Sous Chef and his wife...Apparently, Jacques entertained three nights during the cruise in La Reserve and we were especially honored by this invitation...it was an incredible and special evening...and completely unexpected...

I think, if you cruise enough, eventually these things happen...

But it is best NOT to expect them...not to think of them as your right or privilege...

Otherwise, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment...you will leave your cruise feeling somehow "insulted"...

If you just expect the same great service and experience that EVERYONE gets on a cruise line like Celebrity, then, when the special happens, it will feel even more special...

As always Steve, spot on!

Our first Celebrity cruise was back in 1993 (Horizon), and we were invited to dine at the Captain's Table. The Captain's Club hostess (I think they were called Social Hostess back then?) was named Lisa. She was a beautiful young American, looking for an adventure with a Greek cruise line. Some things have changed, but for the most part, the way they put together the Captain's Table remains the same.

We've received ten invites through the years, but we only accepted eight of those invites (another story). It's always been an honor and we've had the best of times. By the way, since we always eat during the main seating, all of our Captain's Table experiences have been with other officers, and never with the Captain.

We don't troll for invites, it just seems to happen to us about 50% of the time. We were invited several times before we became elite and several times after. I have my own theory, but I'm often wrong about things!:)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I love this idea, how special. I also suggested nice bottles of wines with dinner, free shore excursions (how about with an officer or captain going on the excursion). But I get the feeling that some would rather be treated special in public in front of all the other cruises. Not my style, but everyone is different!

Also, Orator I feel that everyone's comments should be taken into consideration whether they have been on one cruise, getting ready for their first cruise or haven't cruised before. That way you get a more balance set of ideas.

I love this idea, how special. I also suggested nice bottles of wines with dinner, free shore excursions (how about with an officer or captain going on the excursion). But I get the feeling that some would rather be treated special in public in front of all the other cruises.

Also, Orator I feel that everyone's comments should be taken into consideration whether they have been on one cruise, getting ready for their first cruise or haven't cruised before. That way you get a more balance set of ideas.

Yes, we should listen to all opinions, but experience does make a difference.

Yes, we should listen to all opinions; however, to get a fair balance we need to hear what "qualified" sources on all sides of the issue have to say.. One test of evidence is to ask:"Is the source in a position to know?". IMHO, one who is in a position to know is probably more accurate than one who is not.

Sorry I copied your poster before you changed it, thus that is what I'm replaying to. You don't feel that someone who is just going on their first Celebrity cruise, but may have cruised many times on another line is not qualified to know? Just a observation and no offense meant - It seems to me that you would only like those with Elite + (those with many cruises on Celebrity under their belt) comments to be used, since they agree more with what you would like to see done.

I've learned over the years, that great suggestions/ideas come sometimes from the least likely sources.

Sorry I copied your poster before you changed it, thus that is what I'm replaying to. You don't feel that someone who is just going on their first Celebrity cruise, but may have cruised many times on another line is not qualified to know? Just a observation and no offense meant - It seems to me that you would only like those with Elite + (those with many cruises on Celebrity under their belt) comments to be used, since they agree more with what you would like to see done.

I've learned over the years, that great suggestions/ideas come sometimes from the least likely sources.

Good catch!!!

That's okay. I changed it because I thought it might create more controversy. I'd like to see less, rather than more. My original concern was Celebrity specific and thus experience over time on Celebrity is important. As the thread gets longer the tendency to read only part of the thread becomes more likely. At one time Celebrity recognized as many as three top cruisers, on a few longer cruises they still do. Today,for the most part they only recognize one. Others have observed other areas where Celebrity has recently downgraded the importance of "loyalty". I believe you've really needed to live though the changes to be in a position to specifically comment about them. What a Celebrity newbie can and should do is bring their experience from other lines and the non cruising world to the discussion. That might suggest that Celebrity is far ahead of others, or that Celebrity needs to catch up. It might also provide some new ideas that can be debated.

EDIT: We would probably more likely have a meeting of the minds if we were engaged in a face to face discussion. That way we could question and answer directly. I'd welcome that conversation with anyone on the board.

That's okay. I changed it because I thought it might create more controversy. I'd like to see less, rather than more. My original concern was Celebrity specific and thus experience over time on Celebrity is important. As the thread gets longer the tendency to read only part of the thread becomes more likely. At one time Celebrity recognized as many as three top cruisers, on a few longer cruises they still do. Today,for the most part they only recognize one. Others have observed other areas where Celebrity has recently downgraded the importance of "loyalty". I believe you've really needed to live though the changes to be in a position to specifically comment about them. What a Celebrity newbie can and should do is bring their experience from other lines and the non cruising world to the discussion. That might suggest that Celebrity is far ahead of others, or that Celebrity needs to catch up. It might also provide some new ideas that can be debated.

EDIT: We would probably more likely have a meeting of the minds if we were engaged in a face to face discussion. That way we could question and answer directly. I'd welcome that conversation with anyone on the board.

I guess I don't see how rehashing what was is going to accomplish anything other than people feeling cheated out of something. I think coming up with ideas for a new tier would be the way to proceed.

Maybe, we will never know, they might have changed the pollicy because some of the top cruisers might have asked not to be acknowledged because they thought they would be seen as bragging, and that is why they only acknowledged the top cruiser on your cruise. I was once on a cruise with a lady that lived on the ship 6 months out of the year (obviously the #1 cruiser on each cruise she was on) and she just didn't want to be singled out. I would suggest that if you are in the top 3 on your next cruise, you ask to be acknowledged at the event (if that is what is important to you) and I'm sure Celebrity would be more than happy to accomadate you. I am sure Celebrity is ahead of some in their loyalty programs and behind others.

I guess I don't see how rehashing what was is going to accomplish anything other than people feeling cheated out of something. I think coming up with ideas for a new tier would be the way to proceed.

Maybe, we will never know, they might have changed the pollicy because some of the top cruisers might have asked not to be acknowledged because they thought they would be seen as bragging, and that is why they only acknowledged the top cruiser on your cruise. I was once on a cruise with a lady that lived on the ship 6 months out of the year (obviously the #1 cruiser on each cruise she was on) and she just didn't want to be singled out. I would suggest that if you are in the top 3 on your next cruise, you ask to be acknowledged at the event (if that is what is important to you) and I'm sure Celebrity would be more than happy to accomadate you. I am sure Celebrity is ahead of some in their loyalty programs and behind others.

Personally,I would not "ask"to be recognized just as I've never asked to be invited to a table. I have requested that someone I know be invited and have offered to give up my spot so that someone else could experience a table. That I would do again.

Archived