TransPacific to Hawaii

Akruzing

That's a difficult question as it will be 5 days at sea. You may re-consider if it is an issue for you and opt to fly return to Hawaii and book a local cruise through the islands. I believe Norwegian Lines runs cruises within the islands.

We are cruising back to Vancouver after our Hawaiian cruise this April and I plan to stock up on Gravol pills and seabands as my T.A. said she did the same cruise and it was very rough.

You asked how bad it would be... T.A. said she wouldn't do it again... :(

We are planning for a TransPacific cruise to Hawaii but DW cannot handle rough seas. Would Oct/Nov be a good time? If not when? Or how bad would it be?

My wife is very prone to motion sickness also and that hasn't kept her from taking dozens of cruises including several times round-trip LA to Hawaii. She has tried all of the different ways to prevent motion sickness and for her meclizine which is a much cheaper generic form of Bonine works very well with less side affects than other types of medication. Meclizine prevents motion sickness and thus has to be taken in advance generally 12 to 24 hours.

We also try to get lower deck midship cabin which onboard a ship is the most stable location. Although we have had cabins all the way forward and all the way aft on higher decks and she is done okay with those also.

There is no way to accurately predict the sea conditions you would experience in October and November however in general it has been okay when we've done it.

We did R/T from San Diego one year in November, and had 5 days of rough seas each way. Hawaii was very calm while in island waters. Friends of ours went the next November, and sea was calm after first day and a half out of San Diego and same returning. So, you never know.

We have also done Pride cruise just through islands. If your DW has motion sickness problems, would recommend flying and doing that cruise, as the seas are so unpredictible!

Last November cruised not to Hawaii, but from Hawaii to Sydney. The seas were incredibly smooth the whole cruise. You just never know.

An acquaintance suffers with motion sickness. She can even experience motion sickness during car trips. This woman really should write a review of the various over the counter products. In any event, she highly recommends the sea bands, which use acupuncture points. I purchased a set, which I keep in my toiletry bag, but have never had to use them.

Thanks to all your advice. Our TA told us not to consider Pride as quite a few of her clients have told her that they couldn't wait to get off the ship, though their itinery is the most interesting to us. Will probably end up with a TP cruise but now is to decide which month with the least risk of going through rough seas.:cool:

I have done the r/t LA-Hawaii cruise 4 times with Princess thus far, in late January once, twice in mid-March, and once in late October. Perhaps we have just been lucky, but we have not experienced any truly rough seas on any of them. Once or twice we had a little rockiness on the first day out of LA heading west, but nothing that required any nedication.

Thanks to all your advice. Our TA told us not to consider Pride as quite a few of her clients have told her that they couldn't wait to get off the ship, though their itinery is the most interesting to us. Will probably end up with a TP cruise but now is to decide which month with the least risk of going through rough seas.:cool:

Your Travel Agent must have very picky clients. Pride is by far the best cruise itinerary for seeing Hawaii. If your wife is really prone to sea sickness, there's no way I'd do the 14 day from the Westcoast.

If your wife is really prone to sea sickness, there's no way I'd do the 14 day from the Westcoast.

My wife is very prone to all sorts of motion sickness & she's taken dozens of cruises including a couple roundtrip Hawaiian cruises from LA. She does okay by using medication when necessary & getting a cabin in a more stable location. We have not experienced conditions en route to Hawaii from LA that were anything like those in the Tasman Sea between AUS & NZ and she did okay there also. Based on her experiences & being very prone to any motion sickness, I wouldn't hesitate recommending a roundtrip Hawaiian cruise from LA & it's a cruise she plans to do several more times with me.

My wife is very prone to all sorts of motion sickness & she's taken dozens of cruises including a couple roundtrip Hawaiian cruises from LA. She does okay by using medication when necessary & getting a cabin in a more stable location. We have not experienced conditions en route to Hawaii from LA that were anything like those in the Tasman Sea between AUS & NZ and she did okay there also. Based on her experiences & being very prone to any motion sickness, I wouldn't hesitate recommending a roundtrip Hawaiian cruise from LA & it's a cruise she plans to do several more times with me.

Like I said, there's no way "I" would do it. I'm extremely prone to motion sickness and don't like being drugged up. After seeing my girlfriend recently on the Sapphire that had 20 ft swells and took an extra sea day to get there, it's not my thing nor would I recommend it to anyone who suffers the same. When some one says they can't handle rough seas, 8 days in the open Pacific wouldn't be the best recommendation..IMO

I think you might want to read some of the reviews on these boards concerning POA cruise. I just returned and would jump back on that ship in a New York minute and do it again. You get to spend a lot more time in Hawaii instead of spending so many days at sea and if there is problems with seasickness doing this cruise would be perfect. Don't let one opinion deter you from this cruise.

If your wife is really prone to sea sickness, there's no way I'd do the 14 day from the Westcoast.

Like I said, there's no way "I" would do it. I'm extremely prone to motion sickness and don't like being drugged up. After seeing my girlfriend recently on the Sapphire that had 20 ft swells and took an extra sea day to get there, it's not my thing nor would I recommend it to anyone who suffers the same. When some one says they can't handle rough seas, 8 days in the open Pacific wouldn't be the best recommendation..IMO

I agree...everyone has a different comfort level when it comes to motion sickness. I was merely giving an example of someone else who doesn't have a problem dealing with being very prone to motion sickness without being drugged up. The generic form of Bonine, meclizine, works for her without any side affects but reactions to any medication may vary. You've probably taken long ocean cruises like us & my wife had no problems that would prevent her from taking them again...including to Hawaii.

There's no right or wrong answer...you said "If your wife is really prone to sea sickness, there's no way I'd do the 14 day from the Westcoast". So I decided to share an example about someone who would be willing to do it despite also being really prone to sea sickness so the OP could get a different perspective before deciding about what works best for them. :)

I merely share my experiences & would never expect anyone else to do the same thing based on my opinions. ;)

Your Travel Agent must have very picky clients. Pride is by far the best cruise itinerary for seeing Hawaii. If your wife is really prone to sea sickness, there's no way I'd do the 14 day from the Westcoast.

I have anything but picky neighbors who did not like the Pride.They liked the intinary but did not like the ship .That said I wouldn't spend 8/9 sea days if my wife was subject to motion sickness

I have anything but picky neighbors who did not like the Pride.They liked the intinary but did not like the ship .That said I wouldn't spend 8/9 sea days if my wife was subject to motion sickness

There's one thing though to not like the ship, but another to say don't sail that itinerary. It would be interesting to ask your neighbours if they would have wanted to trade their overnight in Kauai and Maui, their day in Kona, the Napali coast sail by and their evening volcano sail by for sea days. Pride has to be doing something right to command those prices on a weekly basis.

There's one thing though to not like the ship, but another to say don't sail that itinerary. It would be interesting to ask your neighbours if they would have wanted to trade their overnight in Kauai and Maui, their day in Kona, the Napali coast sail by and their evening volcano sail by for sea days. Pride has to be doing something right to command those prices on a weekly basis.

They thought the food and service wasa downgrade from Carnival and Royal Caribbean .They will not splurge for a specialty restaurant either

I'm using my cruise to test out 5 sea days(my wife say they are great) and spending a few days in Hawaii afterwards..Our trip misses Kauai but does sail by the Volcano and overnights in Maui.I personally would not want to do the roundtrip,too many sea days too few days in Hawaii.

I certainly would not rule out a Pride trip in the future

We have just returned from a 14 night cruise to Hawaii departing from LA, we had 8 days of rough seas, the captain was continually advising passengers to take care when moving around the ship, I have been cruising for the past 20 years and I have never taken so many travel sickness tablets during one cruise.

There are THOUSANDS of people who have certainly well enjoyed NCL's round trip Honolulu. Sorry, but the Pacific, is rough, and it would be rare to have "smooth" seas.

Why not take a look at the Cruise reviews for the Pride of America??? And has your TA even sailed this itinerary??

I think you might want to read some of the reviews on these boards concerning POA cruise. I just returned and would jump back on that ship in a New York minute and do it again. You get to spend a lot more time in Hawaii instead of spending so many days at sea and if there is problems with seasickness doing this cruise would be perfect. Don't let one opinion deter you from this cruise.

I agree. The Poa cruise is great!!!! I've done it several times and can't wait to do it again. It's not your normal 5 star type cruise but it's a wonderful way to experience Hawaii.

Loved everyone of them.

Maybe 1 or 2 days rocking a little.

Sailed in March..April..Sept..Nov..Dec.

(Sept. the warmest)

Your weather, rocking of the ship ect.

is just the "Luck of the Draw"! You will

never will know till your on the ship.

I have done the Hawaiian RT twice and I suffered from motion sickness very easily (can't even read in a moving car or train without getting sick). Both times our ship hit some rough seas for a couple of days so I was prepared with plenty of ginger (the remedy that seems to work for me). That said, our last cruise was on the Golden Princess and that cruise, despite the seas and the rainy and windy weather, has to ranked as one of our most favorite vacations, ever. Most of the time, one can be so busy with all the activities, including the Hawaiian ones and listening to the fabulous Hawaiian music performed by Elua, that the rolling from the California current might not be felt that much.

For me, this cruise is fantastic as I live on the West Coast and don't have to deal with a plane flight (which I want to avoid as much as possible -- the five hour flight to Hawaii, which I've done twice, is not my idea of a fun trip).

Archived