Inexpensive way to ship from US to Italy

Redbarnphotog

Someone mentioned on a packing thread that they mail thier toiletries to thier embarkation city to save room/weight in thier luggage.

There are 3 of us going on a 14-day trip to Italy/Greece next year and I was considering the same thing.

However, the medium (international) priority flat rate box is $47.00....For that I could take an extra checked bag!

I suppose non-priority would be cheaper? Maybe?

Would you even do this?

I guess I should say it's 3 women, all with special hair needs so we're talking several hair care products plus deoderant, toothpaste, body wash, loofa, etc.

I just thought it would be easier to mail this to our hotel in Venice pre-cruise.

What do you think?

We were in Europe for 10 days. We packed our own in our suitcases with no problem at all. We stayed under the 50 lb weight, surprisingly. Also, if you use a name brand item that can be found in any store here in the USA, I am sure you can find it there too.

Nope, wouldn't do it. What happens if your things don't get there when you planned? I used to send things regularly to England and sometimes they would get there on schedule and other times take a long time. Split the cost 3 ways for an extra checked bag.

"inexpensive" and "ship to Italy" are polar opposites. As you are learning.:D:D

For my wife and I, our solution was to do 'carry on' only, which we did for a 3 week trip, including Italy and a 12 day cruise.

We are glad that Carnival has self serve laundrys. :)

She did find a few 'necessities' while we were over there, so that helped a little, too

Seriously, there's no need to ship your toiletries. I live out of a suitcase for 3 weeks and make do with one suitcase. You'll have room, because the hotels/ships will supply body wash/soap. Don't bring a loofa, bring an old wash cloth that you can toss before you come home (they pack really flat!)

Ok, I don't know about hair product, I don't use any other than any old shampoo so I don's schlep a lot of that stuff. IF I run out there are drug stores where I can purchase more. Bring a half used tube of toothpaste no need to go out and get a big tube, you're only gone 2 weeks.

Are you taking some kind of airline that won't allow a free checked bag for an international flight? Because what you can't fit into your checked bag can be put in a carry-on. (Once I carried on my motorcycle helmet and a pair of shoes).

Think about washing in the sink your bras and undies that way you don't have to pack a lot of that. Also roll those things up and stick them in the unused corners of your suitcase.

We will get a free checked bag, but we are on Norwegian (no laundry facilities). As a professional photographer, my carry on will consist of a large camera, several lenses and other equipment. There will be no room and I also won't take the risk of toiletries in that bag.

I guess I will take my personal item as a giant purse and stuff anything I can in that. I plan on taking a great deal of throw away items to leave room for purchases.

This will most likely be my one and only trip to Europe or at least Venice, so I want to make sure I have room for anything and everything I want to purchase.

Since my other concern was weight in my checked bag, I think I will prepare to pack 1/2 empty bottles of some items.

We take the products we really need with us but try to limit to necessity and to smallest size/lightest weight possible.

I don't want to spend any time I have in Venice looking to buy deoderant. :eek: :D

Honestly, is another $50 going to break you? If you have to check a second bag, do it. Luckily I travel with my hubby and between us we had 2 free checked bags and 2 carry ons. I was ready to pay for another checked bag, but somehow we stayed under weight... even with the olive oil and the snow globes I picked up at every port... lol.

We will get a free checked bag, but we are on Norwegian (no laundry facilities). As a professional photographer, my carry on will consist of a large camera, several lenses and other equipment. There will be no room and I also won't take the risk of toiletries in that bag.

I guess I will take my personal item as a giant purse and stuff anything I can in that. I plan on taking a great deal of throw away items to leave room for purchases.

This will most likely be my one and only trip to Europe or at least Venice, so I want to make sure I have room for anything and everything I want to purchase.

Since my other concern was weight in my checked bag, I think I will prepare to pack 1/2 empty bottles of some items.

There will be 2 'stuff the bag' laundry specials on your cruise. It is everything you can roll and cram into a paper laundry bag for $29. It is a pretty good deal, on my sailing a couple I knew did a 33 day on the SUN and they managed well with the special. (It was a b2b2b with a transatlantic in the middle).

Put your toiletries in a plastic bag & put it in your checked bag

Take less than what you think you will need in clothes

We have done month long cruise with 25 to 30lbs in our checked bag

It can be done

Inexpensive and Europe just don't even belong in the same sentence.

I usually go to Wal-Mart or Target and purchase the small travel size toiletries for any trip I'm going on. Toothpaste, hair spray, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, lotion etc. They are under the 4 ozs airlines allow and plenty to last up to three weeks away from home. I have an organizer (that is similar to a shoe holder, with separate compartments) that is plastic lined, so no spills. Even worked for Maui with a carry-on only.

For our 3 week Med cruise, I had EVERYTHING, or so I thought. Woke up in Rome with a sore throat. Try finding cough drops when you don't speak Italian. I hit 3 pharmacies with no luck (mouthwash, toothpaste, etc) when I pointed to my mouth and throat. Finally after an exhausting day seeing Rome, went into a tobacco shop for some water and waalaa, there were rolls of Vicks Honey Lemon Cough Drops on the counter right by the cash register. So now cough drops are added to my toiletry bag before leaving home.

Have a great trip!

Keep in mind that there are many items which are prohibited for shipping to Italy via US mail, including HATS. CheckersMidwest, obviously your local postal workers were ignorant of mailing restrictions.

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/il_008.htm

No doubt there are reasons for each item but that has to be the strangest set of items I've ever seen...

So sorry we were stupid about shipping a hat. My point was it was lightweight and STILL expensive.

I don't think anyone said you or this student was "stupid". When the customs form was completed and "hat" was written on it, the postal clerk should have known that shipping this item was not allowed.

And yes, it's too expensive to ship toiletries, and some of them aren't allowed either.

My DD is studying in Rome. I just got back from a visit on Friday.

If it's not a letter a package can be held up in customs forever. Her friend is still waiting for her DHL package of contact lenses her mom sent a month ago. Took 6 weeks for a book to arrive.

In traveling I have discovered how long travel sizes of things will last me--- toothpaste-11days, shampoo-7days, conditioner-7days, etc. Try it at home, purchase travel size tubes/pots and see how long each size will last. You might be surprised.

Also I simplify my routine and use slightly different items traveling than at home. Some things I do not bring at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived