reminiscing about ship's horn

NoobCruise

Just watched the Amsterdam and Westerdam sail away on webcams out of Port Everglades. The Westerdam seems to be the queen of horns lol It made me think of our first cruise, and since it was on Carnival's Elation and not a HAL ship, it seemed more appropriate over here.

On our first or second sea day, my husband and I were exploring the ship and we found our way to the bow, right in front of the bridge. We were the only ones up there. We were enjoying looking out over the sea, minding our own business, when all of a sudden, the ship's horn blasted! It was right next to us. We must have jumped a foot as our hearts stopped lol When we turned around and looked at the bridge, there were about 5 crew members looking at us laughing their butts off lol They'd blown the horn just to watch us jump. Makes me laugh whenever i think of it lol

Just watched the Amsterdam and Westerdam sail away on webcams out of Port Everglades. The Westerdam seems to be the queen of horns lol It made me think of our first cruise, and since it was on Carnival's Elation and not a HAL ship, it seemed more appropriate over here.

On our first or second sea day, my husband and I were exploring the ship and we found our way to the stern, right in front of the bridge. We were the only ones up there. We were enjoying looking out over the sea, minding our own business, when all of a sudden, the ship's horn blasted! It was right next to us. We must have jumped a foot as our hearts stopped lol When we turned around and looked at the bridge, there were about 5 crew members looking at us laughing their butts off lol They'd blown the horn just to watch us jump. Makes me laugh whenever i think of it lol

They can be loud. Usually in a very low vibrating tone. By the way - the stern is the back of the ship - the bridge is up front near the bow.

On our first or second sea day, my husband and I were exploring the ship and we found our way to the bow, right in front of the bridge. We were the only ones up there. We were enjoying looking out over the sea, minding our own business, when all of a sudden, the ship's horn blasted! It was right next to us. We must have jumped a foot as our hearts stopped lol When we turned around and looked at the bridge, there were about 5 crew members looking at us laughing their butts off lol They'd blown the horn just to watch us jump. Makes me laugh whenever i think of it lol

That's awesome! I've also loved when departing a port with other ships and the ships have a battle of the horns!! That's one think I hope every cruiser gets to experience one or twice!!

By the way, it is a ship's whistle, not a horn.

The Disney ships play the first seven notes of "When you wish upon a star" when they depart -- that is always impressive.

Keep in mind when or if you are near the bow when the ship is entering or leaving port, that the ship's whistle is not the same as a car's horn. There are specific meanings to certain signals, there are signals that are required at different times, and various situations with respect to other vessels will require certain signals to "signal" the ship's intent. This may happen out in the open water as well when two vessels are crossing each other's path. And while a large (cruise) ship might have certain privileges in a restricted channel, once out in the open sea, size is irrelevant, and the larger ship isn't blowing its horn at the smaller boat, it rather would be indicating its intention to alter course in accordance with the Rules of the Road.

Wow, I love how many times I've been corrected on details in this one post rather then anyone actually paying any attention to what the intent was. There seems to be many accuracy police on this forum. If there was a delete button, I would just delete it.

Wow, I love how many times I've been corrected on details in this one post rather then anyone actually paying any attention to what the intent was. There seems to be many accuracy police on this forum. If there was a delete button, I would just delete it.

Often people like to impress with their prowess and experience on a cruise ship. It's a badge of honor. It seems there are those that simply prefer to correct rather than add substantively to the conversation. I thought your post was pretty funny. I can only imagine that I would have screamed like a little girl had it happened to me :D

Often people like to impress with their prowess and experience on a cruise ship. It's a badge of honor. It seems there are those that simply prefer to correct rather than add substantively to the conversation. I thought your post was pretty funny. I can only imagine that I would have screamed like a little girl had it happened to me :D

Thank you ;)

One of my favorite Royal Caribbean ads on TV that hasn't run in a few years is the one where a man is out carefully aiming his golf club on the ship's putt putt golf course. Just as he is ready to swing the ship's horn blows really loud shaking him to his bones and ruining his putt. I laughed every time I saw that ad.

I seldom sail on Carnival but their ads do feature their ship's horn at the end and that sound always makes me happy.

Archived