Early, Late, My Time...how about NO

I agree too. I sign up for My Time just so my tips are paid, but we rarely go. (DD likes Lobster Night.) If I cruise with DH, we don't go at all. I do feel bad taking a spot that someone else could use.

On our Serenade cruise, they did call several times to see where we were and when we went for lobster, three staff members asked us the same thing. It was a little overwhelming.

My Time is better than traditional because the dining time is shorter. But, it's still the same menus (if it's Day One, then it's Vidalia Onion Tart night) and I am over marching waiters and "O Solo Mio". I just want to eat and get to the show. (Yes, the perfomances were fun in the beginning and I am glad others can still enjoy them.) There's nothing per se wrong except burnout. I know that all frequent cruisers don't feel the same way, but it does look like a few of us do.

I don't think any of us "no diners" are looking to avoid paying tips. I know the staff serves me all over the ship. It would be nice to have a "no" option and still take care of the staff that does so much for us.

After reading another thread, I came up with this idea.....When making a reservation, we typically select early dining, late dining, or my time dining. Well, after 30 cruises, we are bored with the dining room and typically eat somewhere else (specialty, windjammer, room service, etc). So, why should we reserve a dining space that we are NOT going to use? We usually select late dining, but do not use it. So, if late dining fills up, someone else could have used our table space. We've thought of just scheduling My Time dining and not going....but that also uses up a space that someone else could use. I've made reservations where it states that My Time is actually all booked up, so we should not use that space either! Why not have a NO dining option? That way, we're not taking up a reservation time that someone else could use! We did a back to back recently (10 days) and did not go to the MDR once! We did inform the Maitre D', but by then, most people have already reserved their dining times, which is typically done before the cruise. NO option could be an option!

I have an idea - it's a little off the wall, but lateral thinking and all that...

Looking at the amount of cruises you go on, I would like to offer up my wife and myself for adoption.

The next time you take us on the cruise we will happily tell the Maitre D that you will not be joining us all week, so a table for two will be fine.

:D

If they were to do a no time dining option then I think what they should do is require prepaid tips (just like anytime dining) and give the dining tips to the windjammer staff that week (yes i know mdr waiters work the windjammer but there are also waiters working the windjammer only (rotation) and not collecting tips for the week.

MTD is also capacity controlled just like Traditional. Therefore if someone that does not intend of utilizing the main dining room selects that option it takes up a spot for someone else that intends on using the main dining room.

Exactly....if I book My Time with no intention of using it, I may be denying someone else that option. If only a certain number of My Time requests per cruise are accepted, I don't want to use that option either. Let someone who really wants it have it.

After quite a few cruises, we decided we liked the Windjammer better than the dining room - few people, attentive table attendants, nice food selection, even tablecloths, mood lighting and music. We developed a pattern of notifying the headwaiter that we would give up our dining room table reservation, thus freeing up the table for others. However......this did not work well on the Independence last fall. The Windjammer was "combat dining" with hoardes of people, hassled and harried table attendants, and certainly no tablecloths. We ended up meeting a nice couple from Plymouth who welcomed us to join them at their table in the dining room. We ate most breakfasts and lunch in the dining room to avoid the unpleasantness and crowds in the Windjammer. So - dining venues do vary. Don't cancel your dining table reservation too early. Let each ship and each cruise determine your choice of dining venue.

After reading another thread, I came up with this idea.....When making a reservation, we typically select early dining, late dining, or my time dining. Well, after 30 cruises, we are bored with the dining room and typically eat somewhere else (specialty, windjammer, room service, etc). So, why should we reserve a dining space that we are NOT going to use? We usually select late dining, but do not use it. So, if late dining fills up, someone else could have used our table space. We've thought of just scheduling My Time dining and not going....but that also uses up a space that someone else could use. I've made reservations where it states that My Time is actually all booked up, so we should not use that space either! Why not have a NO dining option? That way, we're not taking up a reservation time that someone else could use! We did a back to back recently (10 days) and did not go to the MDR once! We did inform the Maitre D', but by then, most people have already reserved their dining times, which is typically done before the cruise. NO option could be an option!

Excellent idea. We still enjoy the MDR and always reserve Early Traditional.

I thought of this a few weeks ago and called C and A and was told to email in a suggestion to that effect which I have done. The C and A person told me that they would include it in their monthly report, or something like that.

Perhaps if enough people do so they may consider that option.

I got back the standard reply of thanks for your input, we will keep it on file etc.

Hi Ellen -

What e-mail address did you use for this? I think it's a WONDERFUL idea and one I would have gladly used on my most recent cruise on the Voyager for my sister's birthday. We did Portofino the first night, one night in the MDR for MTD, then Sis preferred the Windjammer for the rest of the nights.

P.S. - Your luggage straps made their first trip without you on the above-mentioned trip. Thanks again!

After quite a few cruises, we decided we liked the Windjammer better than the dining room - few people, attentive table attendants, nice food selection, even tablecloths, mood lighting and music. We developed a pattern of notifying the headwaiter that we would give up our dining room table reservation, thus freeing up the table for others. However......this did not work well on the Independence last fall. The Windjammer was "combat dining" with hoardes of people, hassled and harried table attendants, and certainly no tablecloths. We ended up meeting a nice couple from Plymouth who welcomed us to join them at their table in the dining room. We ate most breakfasts and lunch in the dining room to avoid the unpleasantness and crowds in the Windjammer. So - dining venues do vary. Don't cancel your dining table reservation too early. Let each ship and each cruise determine your choice of dining venue.

Wow...we've never had that experience in the Windjammer during dinner....breakfast and lunch, yes. But dinner in the Windjammer has always been quiet, calm, and actually, relaxing! We typically go later during dinner (after 8pm), but wouldn't like "combat dining!" LOL

I like this idea as well, I do enjoy dining in the MDR, but do not like the amount of time it takes, seems we are always leaving early to get to a show. This time we are trying My Time Dining – I’m hoping that will be faster.

I also agree with the other posters about the MDR shows – enough is enough

If they were to do a no time dining option then I think what they should do is require prepaid tips (just like anytime dining) and give the dining tips to the windjammer staff that week (yes i know mdr waiters work the windjammer but there are also waiters working the windjammer only (rotation) and not collecting tips for the week.

I also think a "no MDR" should be available. DH and I usually split our nights between WJ and MDR, but I can easily imagine that there might be cruises where we might select no MDR. in that case, I'd like the tips to go to WJ waitstaff who serve me.

Why don't you just select "My Time Dining" and don't make any reservations? That way you won't take up any space. (Or you could just go to the Maitre D when you board and tell him that you won't use the MDR.)

MTD is prepaid gratutiy. I prefer to tip those that actually service me. Speciality restaurants, Johnny Rockets, room service, etc. Favorite waiter in WJ. Bartender that calls room service and have food delivered to the bar.

That why people choose time dining and don't show up because if they choose MTD the have to pre-pay gratuity.

No choice will help everyone especially the wait staff that will not be shafted for gratuity because half of their tables are empty.

Likewise on Indy - we were seated at a table for 8 - 10 people, and we were the only 2 on it!

I've twice been in that situation and think that adds to the validity of this idea. I can't think of any down sides. It actually increase the odd that someone will be sitting with us when we do eat in the MDR.

Hi Ellen -

What e-mail address did you use for this? I think it's a WONDERFUL idea and one I would have gladly used on my most recent cruise on the Voyager for my sister's birthday. We did Portofino the first night, one night in the MDR for MTD, then Sis preferred the Windjammer for the rest of the nights.

P.S. - Your luggage straps made their first trip without you on the above-mentioned trip. Thanks again!

crownandanchor@rccl.com

What an interesting topic/concept! A couple of things popped into my head (no wise cracks, please ;)). I, too, thought the MDR staff was concerned because, fewer diners, fewer tips. I have also encountered the tablemate no-show. I have to say, it's quite uncomfortable. This is especially uncomfortable for us as I cruise with my son (now 14 and has been cruising since he was 4). So, there we are at a table for 8 and there is only the two of us.

Anyway, the other thing that occurred to me was, how would they market this option? Although I think it is a great idea, I would think it would cause quite a bit of confusion with the general public. Just a thought.

Oh, and I too experienced the combat dining. It was on a TA. Maybe it's part of the nature of a TA? A lot of days of sameness and no ports????:confused::confused:

I really prefer going to the MDR, late seating at a large table, full of other guests. I usually sail with a good friend and since it's just the two of us, sitting at a full, lively table is a great way to meet others. We have always been lucky with our table and on this last trip on Explorer we had a wonderful group. The trip before we were at a table of 6 but with 2 empty seats. We had fun, but would have been better if it was a full table. Several people on this most recent cruise were at tables with just 1 or 2 other people. If they had a better way to manage the system, then there would be more full tables.

I agree the "show" part of dinner is a little dated, but I love to dress for dinner, and I like the ritual. I can eat a buffet any time. I like the service, atmosphere and tradition.:D

For our first few cruises we never used the MDR as my partner can be a little shy and doesn't find the experience of sitting at a large table with strangers relaxing. On the other hand I love chatting and meeting people and felt it was a part of the cruise we were missing out on.

We have had some lovely meals in the WJ in the evening especially when it is quiet and you can have salmon and steak cooked and brought over and we love starting with a little sushi.

On our last cruise I convinced my other half to give the MDR a go for a few nights and we really enjoyed it.

However, our next cruise will be with our 8 month old son so the MDR is not an option in the evening. I mentioned this when we booked and the response was that will be a shame. I think the option of being able to inform the dining room we will not be using our seats is a good one. Our 8 month old has a seat waiting for him in the MDR which is a little crazy. When we board I'll head over and let them know we will not be coming as it seems a shame to have a table with 3 people certainly not showing.

I know it is called my time, but it also my place. If you want to eat in the windjammer every night, that is your right. By using my time, the tips are not your problem. You still get service for all meals breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks. Enjoy.

But it still takes a seat in the MDR from somebody who wants to eat there. So if people know that they're never going to set foot in the MDR for dinner and are given the chance to opt out, that frees up two more seats for somebody who wants MTD in the MDR.

What an interesting topic/concept! A couple of things popped into my head (no wise cracks, please ;)). I, too, thought the MDR staff was concerned because, fewer diners, fewer tips. I have also encountered the tablemate no-show. I have to say, it's quite uncomfortable. This is especially uncomfortable for us as I cruise with my son (now 14 and has been cruising since he was 4). So, there we are at a table for 8 and there is only the two of us.

Anyway, the other thing that occurred to me was, how would they market this option? Although I think it is a great idea, I would think it would cause quite a bit of confusion with the general public. Just a thought.

Oh, and I too experienced the combat dining. It was on a TA. Maybe it's part of the nature of a TA? A lot of days of sameness and no ports????:confused::confused:

That's part of it (the few diners) and also they worry about negative feedback on the comment cards - that affects their table assignments and chances for promotion.

Any change will confuse people, LOL.

We like to eat in the MDR some nights, but not all, so "no dining" isn't an option for us. But I do agree that it's a great idea.

MTD is prepaid gratutiy. I prefer to tip those that actually service me. Speciality restaurants, Johnny Rockets, room service, etc. Favorite waiter in WJ. Bartender that calls room service and have food delivered to the bar.

That why people choose time dining and don't show up because if they choose MTD the have to pre-pay gratuity.

No choice will help everyone especially the wait staff that will not be shafted for gratuity because half of their tables are empty.

Agreed, it should be an option. We always eat in the MD but have often observed half empty tables. The worst one was a large table with only one couple there the whole week. We assumed that if that couple had wanted a large table, it was because they wanted company to dine with. We felt so bad for them, we talked to the HW about it. He said that the other guests had not shown up.

We also think that if RC would add gratuities automatically for the wait staff, nobody gets stiffed.For those that eat in specialty restaurants every night or most nights, they may prorate gratuities according to the number of times they dine there.

Just a thought.

I love the idea of the "No MDR Dining" option. Our last cruise, we were booked for MDR early seating but never ate there once. Because we had prepaid gratuities, the last night I showed up to hand out tips because it wasn't the fault of our servers that we never came to the MDR.

If we could have chosen a No MDR Dining option, there would be no reason to pay MDR tips, because no ne would be expecting us ever in the mDR and our table could be passed to others who really want it. With a No MDR Dining option, prepaid gratuties should not include the tips for waiter, asst waiter and head waiter.

After 58 cruises with RC, we ARE tired of eating in the DR: so, we give up our table as soon as we board the ship; we are going to the DR reservation desk, and tell them that we will not be using the DR at all, so they can give our table to other passengers looking for the 6:00 dining; we always get thanked by the Maitre'd; lots of guests are looking to change from the late dining to the early one; this was suggested to us, by the headwaiter on Oasis, and we are doing this ever since: works like a charm;

Our next cruise will be the 16 on NAV, and this will be the first thing will do, then we will go to the WJ for the stung honey chicken (spelling????)

Hope this helps a little...

Happy cruising dreams 

I love the idea of the "No MDR Dining" option. Our last cruise, we were booked for MDR early seating but never ate there once. Because we had prepaid gratuities, the last night I showed up to hand out tips because it wasn't the fault of our servers that we never came to the MDR.

If we could have chosen a No MDR Dining option, there would be no reason to pay MDR tips, because no ne would be expecting us ever in the mDR and our table could be passed to others who really want it. With a No MDR Dining option, prepaid gratuties should not include the tips for waiter, asst waiter and head waiter.

Why? Those tips are not just for your MDR staff. It is my understanding that they go into a pool for the waitstaff that serves in Windjammer, and MDR for Breakfast and Lunch too. Are you planning on tipping in cash at every meal? If not, then the prepaid option would be nearly essential to assure that all of your servers are treated fairly.

Archived