Caribbean Princess delayed!

2theship

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

I'm really sorry about your lost vacation. I"m supposed to sail on April 1st and I'm hoping against hope that the ship will be fixed in time for our trip. I understand your frustration because if we don't sail, I'll be in the same position. The discount is great for a future credit, but any change of our current plans will cost hundreds, if not thousands more and not everyone can afford such an expense.

I know Princess is in a pinch because of the current issues they are having, but it doesn't help those who can't find a comparbale vacation on a moments notice. I hope you will manage to find something enjoyable to do for your vacation.

I find it hard to believe that the same type of cabin that you have booked for this year is showing for next year as being $2000 more expensive.

I just checked, a balcony cabin is running for $1200/person for 16 Mar next year and a interior cabin is $750/person. Both are based on double occupancy. That sounds like being in the ballpark for what you probably paid for the cabin for the cruise this year

Princess is fully refunding your cancelled cruise, plus giving you a 25% discount on a future cruise. Based on the above, it sounds like you may come out ahead money-wise.

I can understand your disappointment, I have had vacations that did not work out quite what I expected but I survived.

I guess your choice, is to bank the refund and the discount and book a cruise for next year. Or take the the refund and use it for a different type of vacation this year.

Norwegian cruise ship broke, we got a call the day before sailing saying our cruise from Miami was cancelled. Six of our group of 8 were already in Miami. We had arrainged childcare, work schedules, airfare, etc. So we flew to Miami, we rented two cars, drove to Key Largo, got a hotel, and had a great substitute vacation.

Try not to dwell on what is not under your control. Focus on alternatives for enjoyment!

IMO - Princess could have offered a higher discount off of a future cruise. Celebrity had to cancel many cruises years ago due to their azipod situation and they were far more generous.

Sorry this happened to you. I know several people were able to jump on a RCCL cruise but I bet that quickly filled up.

I hope you and your sons can cruise soon.

As far as contracts go - unfortunately they are in their right to cancel. It is all in the fine print.

I am sorry that your vacation plans have been disrupted and that you are so disappointed and upset. Your expectations and reality have bumped up against each other and it is somewhat like a messy traffic accident.

I'm afraid your contract will provide no additional help. In fact, Princess has voluntarily given you more than the contract limits. Did you have travel insurance?

I see you have just joined Cruise Critic, if you will hang out here in the coming weeks and months you will find much helpful information on insurance, contracts, how to plan for unexpected outcomes, hints on finding good pricing and updates on everything cruise related.

I know you think you are an experienced cruiser, but I think you will discover there is a wealth of knowledge on this site for you to gain (and you will discover even more ignorant bliss outside of this forum:o). That is not a criticism of you, we all started out that way.

Take your 125% of your fare, take the time to absorb this, start reading up on things here on CC, and wait for another great priced cruise to come along a couple of months before the cruise. Pricing for a Caribbean cruise in late Oct. to early Dec. (excepting Thanksgiving week) is traditionally a good price point, and the weather is almost the same as now. And you can probably even change airline tickets to fit.

I am a Princess fan not a cheerleader but I do enjoy the product. First of all I can't understand why you have to wait 4-6 weeks for a refund when it only takes them 4 seconds for any charges to Princess to be debited from your bank account or credit card. I understand that it may take a few days for the credit to post but it usually shows a pending status. I agree that Princess should offer you a similar sailing at the same price. It's not your fault that they didn't properly maintain their ship. From what I have been reading this problem has been going on for some time now. What you are asking for is not unreasonable and I would keep trying. I have sailed the Caribbean Princess 4 times and have never experienced any problems. I was disappointed that the ship wouldn't be sailing from New York this year but now it looks like it was a blessing in disguise.

I hope everything works out for you and don't let this discourage you from cruising. It seems like Carnival Corp has gotten off to a bad start this year which is why more than ever I think Princess should do what they can within reason to satisfy their patrons. IMHO your request is more than reasonable. I don't know how old your children are but Royal Caribbean may be a better match especially if your children are teens or young adults.

we were booked on the Celebrity Infinity in 2002..2 weeks before the cruise it was canceled due to the azipod problem.....they refunded our money and gave us 50% off a future cruise. We went in 2003 on the 6 month old Celebration and booked a balcony cabin.

I'm sure you feel devastated along with your children.

I think at a minimum Princess should put you on another cruise in the same category, for the same price and give you a 25% future credit.

End of story. If you had a TA, ask them to call and be an advocate for you.

My relative in the same boat as you kept on them until they put her family on the 4/8 sailing and upgraded her to a mini from a balcony for the same price and gave her a 25% credit for net cruise.

Keep trying - Not all is lost yet.

Something similar happend to us two years ago. We were booked on the Star Princess out of Chile for a 32-day South America + repositioning cruise. The day before we were to leave, the terrible earthquake hit Chile and the airport was closed. We were unable to get there to board the ship. The cruise was still on with a modified itinerary, but we couldn't get there. Our TA asked Princess to put us on another cruise and apply our $$ to that, but they refused. They didn't refund our money! We had to get the insurance to pay us (what a hassle that was). Many people were complaining on the CC board about how rude the Princess folks treated them. We scrambled to get another, shorter cruise on HAL to salvage some of our vacation. It soured us on Princess, but we will give them another chance in August.

If you put your payments on a major credit card, could you dispute the charge? That might enable you to book an alternate cruise.

nmi

I'm talking about confidence in this particular ship after the repairs, not Princess overall. I never mentioned anything about the destruction or demise of Princess.

Do you honestly think Princess will knowingly sail a ship that could or would break down in the middle of the ocean? This cruise line has been in operation for over 40 years. I think they know what they're doing.

I'm confident in their abilities and cannot wait to set sail with them once again.

Something similar happend to us two years ago. We were booked on the Star Princess out of Chile for a 32-day South America + repositioning cruise. The day before we were to leave, the terrible earthquake hit Chile and the airport was closed. We were unable to get there to board the ship. The cruise was still on with a modified itinerary, but we couldn't get there. Our TA asked Princess to put us on another cruise and apply our $$ to that, but they refused. They didn't refund our money! We had to get the insurance to pay us (what a hassle that was). Many people were complaining on the CC board about how rude the Princess folks treated them. We scrambled to get another, shorter cruise on HAL to salvage some of our vacation. It soured us on Princess, but we will give them another chance in August.

If you put your payments on a major credit card, could you dispute the charge? That might enable you to book an alternate cruise.

nmi

I have a friend who was on that cruise (and who did catch up with it but only because he was on 2 legs of the cruise) - it was a mess. He got no help from headquarters. Princess really should learn from these situations - there have been a few that they really have not handled well.

thanks for all the replys! there where a bunch of great ideas, I loved the one about renting the car and driving to key largo, unfortunately as a single mom, I didn't have the money for a new vacation, until princess releases/refunds my money. There was one reply about how generous princes was, and how they look and saw the cruise for the next year was 1200, well I booked this cruise during a sale and paid high 600's, so even wtih the 25% credit, I am short nearly 400 per person x the members of my family. Not to mention the increase in air fare, and since I did not book with princess, who knows what I will get back for that. so to the gentlemen who mocked my 2000 figure, yes, it is close to 2000 that I would need to come up with... In the mean time I have 1700 dollars tied up with US air. Its great if they give me the change fee, the problem is I haven't taken a vacation and I don't have that money. And then theres all the little things... I don't get paid for vacation, so now I have a week off with out pay. Its not just the cruise, but all the little things, and all the money this has cost me. If I was older and financially well off, then this would be nothing, but so many of us are not. We work hard, dream big, and this cruise means a lot... Its like a dream, it was for my children. And I'm sorry but offering me 25% towards a future cruise, which doesn't cover the increase in fare is not fair, its not right, and its not good customer service. I know that when I've had bad situations at restaurant or even major hotel chains, they go out of their way to make things right. I know that I had a bad room at a marriot, they upgraded me to a better room. So again how is charging more for the same cruise at a later date more then generous???? Not to mention the reps where nasty and unapologetic. Trust me, before this I was princesses biggest fan. I am not trying to rant and rave just find other passengers to band together. there is power in numbers. I can't be the only one feeling this complete and utter disappointment...

I am a fan of cruising and really like Princess but do think their customer service is really lacking at times.....especially when it comes to the bottom line.

I have been refunded generously on Celebrity a couple of times and once on Holland America but cannot say I believe we would have received the same consideration from Princess. One time on Celebrity, they canceled my 7 night itinerary -- just weren't doing it anymore. I put together a whole group for this cruise and when they canceled it, they immediately offered us all an 11 night cruise in the same room type and same price as the 7 day cruise plus $100 pp credit. So, such great PR and that news traveled just as quickly as bad PR.

My advice, keep calling and write the customer service offices until you feel as though you have gotten satisfaction. I hope something works out for you in the long run and you have an enjoyable vacation.

thanks for all the replys!

I am not trying to rant and rave just find other passengers to band together. there is power in numbers. I can't be the only one feeling this complete and utter disappointment...

Here are the links to the two Cruise Critic Roll Calls for the CB March 18th and 25th cruises. These folks are going through the same thing you are.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1396426

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1432989

thanks for all the replys! there where a bunch of great ideas, I loved the one about renting the car and driving to key largo, unfortunately as a single mom, I didn't have the money for a new vacation, until princess releases/refunds my money. There was one reply about how generous princes was, and how they look and saw the cruise for the next year was 1200, well I booked this cruise during a sale and paid high 600's, so even wtih the 25% credit, I am short nearly 400 per person x the members of my family. Not to mention the increase in air fare, and since I did not book with princess, who knows what I will get back for that. so to the gentlemen who mocked my 2000 figure, yes, it is close to 2000 that I would need to come up with... In the mean time I have 1700 dollars tied up with US air. Its great if they give me the change fee, the problem is I haven't taken a vacation and I don't have that money. And then theres all the little things... I don't get paid for vacation, so now I have a week off with out pay. Its not just the cruise, but all the little things, and all the money this has cost me. If I was older and financially well off, then this would be nothing, but so many of us are not. We work hard, dream big, and this cruise means a lot... Its like a dream, it was for my children. And I'm sorry but offering me 25% towards a future cruise, which doesn't cover the increase in fare is not fair, its not right, and its not good customer service. I know that when I've had bad situations at restaurant or even major hotel chains, they go out of their way to make things right. I know that I had a bad room at a marriot, they upgraded me to a better room. So again how is charging more for the same cruise at a later date more then generous???? Not to mention the reps where nasty and unapologetic. Trust me, before this I was princesses biggest fan. I am not trying to rant and rave just find other passengers to band together. there is power in numbers. I can't be the only one feeling this complete and utter disappointment...

The majority of all "large businesses" have ''Loss of Business Insurance''! Princess is NOT going to lose a nickle on this fiasco! Princess could go the extra mile and listen to you and the other passengers in your situation who get one or two week vacations/year and find a cruise for you pronto and the PR would spread like Niagara Falls! Keep plugging away! The "Squeaky Wheel" gets the oil! They will wish they never heard of you when you get done! I'm a Single Parent and know where you are coming from.......been there and done it!;) Keep us up-to-date on how you make out?

Do you honestly think Princess will knowingly sail a ship that could or would break down in the middle of the ocean? This cruise line has been in operation for over 40 years. I think they know what they're doing.

I would hope they know what they are doing, but since they apparently had problems related to this same issue multiple times this winter, maybe they did not completely know what they were doing.

I'm confident in their abilities and cannot wait to set sail with them once again.

I'm sure about 9,000 paying customers for recent and upcoming cruises had confidence also and could not wait to sail with them. How has that worked out for those customers?

Just my opinion , I am entitled to it so don't shoot me but I kind of agree that if it is the fault of Princess that they miss a port and or have to sit in a port, for a long period of time, something s/b done about it. Nothing major like a free cruise but it should be their responsibility to make sure their equipment is working properly. How about a little bit of on board credit. Depending on how long they are stuck there. Now if it had to do with a storm or something out of their control then it would be a different story. Again, everyone has their opinion.

Linda

I think it depends on the cause of delay or skipped port. If the cause is faulty, poorly maintained equipment and inept repair staff then I think the cruise line is responsible. If the problem is due to circumstances beyond their control like hurricanes. other weather events or acts of war then their main responsibility is to do their best to keep their passengers safe even if it means missing ports and they should not owe any damages.

I'll answer the time delay. For amounts over a certain dollar figure (varies by processor but generally over $500) for a non-card present transaction (Princess never sees your card), there's a required audit process that can delay the processing up to 6 weeks. It usually comes through faster but if they said 2 weeks and its 6 people would be more upset.

I am a Princess fan not a cheerleader but I do enjoy the product. First of all I can't understand why you have to wait 4-6 weeks for a refund when it only takes them 4 seconds for any charges to Princess to be debited from your bank account or credit card. I understand that it may take a few days for the credit to post but it usually shows a pending status. I agree that Princess should offer you a similar sailing at the same price. It's not your fault that they didn't properly maintain their ship. From what I have been reading this problem has been going on for some time now. What you are asking for is not unreasonable and I would keep trying. I have sailed the Caribbean Princess 4 times and have never experienced any problems. I was disappointed that the ship wouldn't be sailing from New York this year but now it looks like it was a blessing in disguise.

I hope everything works out for you and don't let this discourage you from cruising. It seems like Carnival Corp has gotten off to a bad start this year which is why more than ever I think Princess should do what they can within reason to satisfy their patrons. IMHO your request is more than reasonable. I don't know how old your children are but Royal Caribbean may be a better match especially if your children are teens or young adults.

This thread has devolved so badly that I think I'll stop reading it. From what I see and know, Princess has taken full responsibility for what has happened, everyone aboard pretty much had a free vacation, plus a 1/4 of another one, and any and all change fees for airlines were reimbursed. Would you like them to cut open their collective wrists and bleed? I feel awful for those on the next couple of sailings that are not going out, but I'm pretty sure that they are all going to be made whole. Hopefully, most can reschedule.

But what proof do any of us have that it's Princess' fault that a part broke on the ship? Perhaps they did have trouble on previous cruises, however I'm confident that it was inspected and repaired. These people don't want to put themselves or us in danger, so I don't believe they just turned their backs, shrugged and decided to sail anyway.

How loudly would everyone complain if they had pulled the ship out of the rotation for 3 cruises to fix the motor if it hadn't malfunctioned? Either way, 3 cruises would have been affected.

I shouldn't post this because it's late, I'm tired and had a crappy day, but I just can't believe the speculation running rampant here. I've always loved the Princess boards and I hope we get back to being more of the information and social group I loved and a lot less of a complaint/blame game board.

Hi All,

Princess offers 25% discount of your future cruise, as such if prices do not go up by more than 25% you should not be out of pocket,

Many thousands of people have been affect by this break down,

Princess needs to look at how it handles major unexpected events,

Many people will have worked hard, saved for a long time for a dream cruise, and it could be years before things are right for them to take another,

many folks here can cruise when and were they want without to much trouble.

yours shogun

Sorry to hear about your lost vacation. Perhaps you could see if you could get a cruise on Carnival for around the same time? Might not be perfect but its better than nothing I suppose. Perhaps spend your effort trying to get your money back sooner than 4-6 weeks so that you can book a cruise on another line.

Another option, do you have Travel Insurance? You could get a refund on your air if you do and plan a vacation when you get your money back from Princess. I know its not perfect and I'm sure I'd be as angry as you are.

I am a fan of cruising and really like Princess but do think their customer service is really lacking at times.....

Seems to be variable; we had no probs with CS. We were refunded 100% within a couple of weeks. Still waiting for the check to cover baggage fees from Princess putting us on US Air instead of Southwest, but Princess customer service was polite and professional when I dealt with them via email and DW dealt with them via phone.

DW is very reluctant to cruise again after reading about the continuing noro outbreaks, the cancellations, etc. She knows all the arguments that blah-de-blah can happen anywhere; however, one has many, many alternatives if something goes wrong on land or with an airline.

So it looks like it'll be flying to Carib land resorts for us, at least maybe until the industry (hopefully) gets past this run of bad luck. Good luck to all you cruisers; wish we were with you.

This thread has devolved so badly that I think I'll stop reading it. From what I see and know, Princess has taken full responsibility for what has happened, everyone aboard pretty much had a free vacation, plus a 1/4 of another one, and any and all change fees for airlines were reimbursed. Would you like them to cut open their collective wrists and bleed? I feel awful for those on the next couple of sailings that are not going out, but I'm pretty sure that they are all going to be made whole. Hopefully, most can reschedule.

But what proof do any of us have that it's Princess' fault that a part broke on the ship? Perhaps they did have trouble on previous cruises, however I'm confident that it was inspected and repaired. These people don't want to put themselves or us in danger, so I don't believe they just turned their backs, shrugged and decided to sail anyway.

How loudly would everyone complain if they had pulled the ship out of the rotation for 3 cruises to fix the motor if it hadn't malfunctioned? Either way, 3 cruises would have been affected.

I shouldn't post this because it's late, I'm tired and had a crappy day, but I just can't believe the speculation running rampant here. I've always loved the Princess boards and I hope we get back to being more of the information and social group I loved and a lot less of a complaint/blame game board.

I agree...

It seems to be the common reaction in all of the Princess "situations", be it a missed port/cruise/the taking away of a perks etc.

Princess puts its customers as close to the front as possible when attempting to make it right, after all as stated by many its a business. ;)

Archived