Pinnacle Grill Tipping

cobalt206

Even for the dinners that we had not prepaid on the Maasdam we were not given a folio with a bill to sign for our dinners. It was just automatically added onto our shipboard account.

Since we buy and use the Beverage Cards -- when we order drinks I just hand the card to the wine steward -- and the slip that comes back with the card shows the deduction of the drinks from the card as well as the 15% gratuity.

Since there wasn't folio on this cruise -- I just slip everyone who has serviced us that evening their tips.

AND what a wonderful surprise we had on the Maasdam -- no fighting to get our loyality discounts. In fact -- ALL the prepaid dinners showed the loyality discount on day 4 when I got a copy of out bill to make certain that all our shipboard credit was in place (which it was) -- and we had had only 1 dinner in the Pinnacle by that time. First time I wasn't fighting constantly for our credits.

Totally agree KK - I was amazed - I went to ask the concierge for our discount and it was ALREADY on our on board account. What a nice change;)

Thank you all for responding to my question. This is only our second cruise where premium dining was optional. As I mentioned, our food and service on Solstice's premium venue were phenomenal so I left $20 both times we dined there.

I appreciate the advice and I plan on tipping cash for our dinners at Pinnacle. Heading off on the Noordam tomorrow morning :)

Have a great cruise:)

I guess I assumed that because they add gratuity to the bill for bar/lounge sales that they would at the specialty restaurants.

So that is not the case?

Have yet to sail with HAL but I know we'll be eating at the PG at least one night, so I'd like to be prepared.

Thank you all for responding to my question. This is only our second cruise where premium dining was optional. As I mentioned, our food and service on Solstice's premium venue were phenomenal so I left $20 both times we dined there.

I appreciate the advice and I plan on tipping cash for our dinners at Pinnacle. Heading off on the Noordam tomorrow morning :)

Hope you have a wonderful cruise on Noordam. She's a really beautiful ship with great crew.

Travel safely.

We are in a SA - we will be having breakfast in the Pinnacle.

for those who did this - the service is better than the MDR, yes I am sure that they also get some of the auto tip, how much extra did you leave and did you do it on the last day. I just want to get some positive feedback.

Yup you are a cheapo!:rolleyes: But you do have some company as evidenced by some of the other responses.

We always tip at the Pinnacle...I don't see how one could not considering what you are getting!

Just as I don't think people who tip in the Pinnacle are showing off, I don't think those who don't tip are cheap.

HAL emphasizes that the daily service charge covers gratuities to all who make my cruise wonderful. I don't care to slice and dice that statement to figure out who they REALLY mean are covered by that charge and who aren't. I take them at their word.

for those who did this - the service is better than the MDR, yes I am sure that they also get some of the auto tip, how much extra did you leave and did you do it on the last day. I just want to get some positive feedback.

We have breakfast many mornings in Pinnacle as well as some dinners. Usually DH tips at the time we have our dinners. He mostly tips for breakfast at the end of our cruises. If we do a Collectors or b-to-b, we normally tip at the end of each segment.

We really enjoy breakfast in the Pinnacle - so relaxing and the same waiters. We tip at the end of the cruise. (on our collectors, which is really two cruises, we will tip at the end of each in case some are leaving the ship or ask). I don't think there is a right amount for everyone. Part is your experience, part is your tipping tendency, etc. It's NOT expected but very appreciated. :)

Yup you are a cheapo!:rolleyes: But you do have some company as evidenced by some of the other responses.

We always tip at the Pinnacle...I don't see how one could not considering what you are getting!

With the exception of the Rotterdam, I have not been wowed by the service in Pinnacle so I don't feel bad about not leaving a tip. In hindsight, I probably should have on the Rotterdam as the service was amazing. To be honest, the thought never occurred to me.

To those asking about auto tip, yes the Pinnacle staff get a portion of your auto tip.

With the exception of the Rotterdam, I have not been wowed by the service in Pinnacle so I don't feel bad about not leaving a tip. In hindsight, I probably should have on the Rotterdam as the service was amazing. To be honest, the thought never occurred to me.

To those asking about auto tip, yes the Pinnacle staff get a portion of your auto tip.

The Pinnacle staff get only pennies from that Hotel Service charge of $11.50/$12. Most of the money -- roughly around $7 - $8 is divided among your cabin stewards and the dining room staff. The remaining monies are divided among the Pinnacle staff, kitchen help, deck crew, polishing crew, lifeboat handlers, laundry people -- basicall everyone behind the scenes. The wine stewards do not get any of this money as they the 15% gratuity that is added onto all the bar bills.

We really enjoy breakfast in the Pinnacle - so relaxing and the same waiters. We tip at the end of the cruise. (on our collectors, which is really two cruises, we will tip at the end of each in case some are leaving the ship or ask). I don't think there is a right amount for everyone. Part is your experience, part is your tipping tendency, etc. It's NOT expected but very appreciated. :)

We love breakfasts in the Pinnacle as well. And we do tip at the end of the cruise.

On our last Amsterdam cruise, instead of having Deluxe Suite passengers eating the in the King's Room like we had done on previous cruises -- they had us eating on the upper level of the dining room. The service was poor so we ate there only a couple of times our of 14 days. And for once we did not tip anyone.

On the Amsterdam the King's Room is now a storage room.

On the R class ships the Pinnacle has never been used the last number of years for breakfast.

Pinnacle is an inside space on the "R" ships. It is converted Marco Polo and Odyssey Restaurants. Most people on a ship would prefer to have window views during the day rather than an indoor space with no windows. It makes sense to serve Suite Breakfast in a setting that has windows and views.

In the evening, for early diners, they don't have views in Pinnacle. Those who dine late, on Most itineraries, wouldn't have views anyway as it is dark.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Noordam and had a great time. We had five dinners at Pinnacle and they were all wonderful. Had the same waiter, Mario each night and tipped him $20 per night. Last night we also gave maitre d' Ayhan $50 for the great job he provided.

Will provide a full review in a few days when I return home. FLL is gorgeous today, should be a nice sail away.

Just got off the Noordam and had a great time. We had five dinners at Pinnacle and they were all wonderful. Had the same waiter, Mario each night and tipped him $20 per night. Last night we also gave maitre d' Ayhan $50 for the great job he provided.

Will provide a full review in a few days when I return home. FLL is gorgeous today, should be a nice sail away.

Welcome Home

We had Sam as our Pinnacle manager when we were on the Maasdam last Nov/Dec.

Looking forward to your review.

When we ate in the specialty restaurants and received superior service, we tipped an extra $10. Just left it in the portfolio with the signed bill.

How do you define "superior service"?

(We live in country where it is not normal to tip)

How do you define "superior service"?

(We live in country where it is not normal to tip)

Well, for me it's when I'm blown away.:) There is service and there is SERVICE. The Pinnacle on the Prinsendam was astronomical :D Without a doubt service plus - a real joy - I think you will know it when you get it.:)

Welcome Home

We had Sam as our Pinnacle manager when we were on the Maasdam last Nov/Dec.

Looking forward to your review.

Aw, drat......

We hoped Goren was there.

Maybe he came after you left?

you had to pay a surcharge, and addition to the auto-tip and pay 15% for any wine or drinks. This is not like a restauraunt in my take I feel the extra I have to pay should cover it because I am getting charges for places I am not using at the same time. In addition neither my wife or I like to carry much cash and use our credit cards almost exclusively

So no

Just off Maasdam. Used Pinnacle several times for breakfast (a suite perk) and once for dinner. I asked. The staff do participate in shipboard device charge. They also accept

Personal tips although as I offered a tip, the waitress thanked me, adding we share all tips with Pinnacle Staff.

On a recent Zuiderdam cruise we ate breakfast often at Pinnacle and were served by several different servers. At the end of the cruise we left the hostess a half dozen envelopes and asked her to distribute them to the servers.

Although tipping is totally optional, we do tip in Pinnacle because we've always had exceptional service. It had never bothered me that the tips are built in to the daily account because we usually will tip over and above anyway. We really appreciate the excellent service on HAL from all the staff and feel they should be rewarded.

Archived