Royal Princess & Caribbean schedule out of Ft Lauderdale

ShipShapeinFL

What are your thoughts on the Royal Princess sailings for 2014 in the Caribbean?

A bit sad they are all 7 Day - Eastern Caribbean. Not ideal for doing a B2B. :(

Absolutely. I wish Princess would alternate Eastern and Western Caribbeans (I prefer the latter) or stick a longer Southern or two in there somewhere. Really kinda disappointing. But then, seems like the Royal might lack some features, like aft pools and maybe full promenade deck, that I really enjoy on warm-weather sailings.

Chose the Nov 3rd sailing which is her first 7 day caribbean cruise. Very happy with the itinerary going to St Thomas and not the Grand Turk route that Princess seemed to stick with.

I just hope she still looks new after her summer in the Med all summer.

I personally dont like big ships, but hope this baby will be something special.

I have hopes that with the new larger canal locks being built in Panama, ships this size will be able to do canal cruises in the future.

As for those with pets......I go through separation anxiety myself. My 16 month old dachshund (Gracie) makes it tough to go away. If I could sneak her onboard believe me I would.

002.jpg.4c6ccd5e7006c0359799d6d30cf24de3.jpg

I have the same cabin for both cruises, but I will have to get off for two days. Gives me some time to explore Fort Lauderdale.

Hoping to make some sort of arrangement for Princess to store my luggage.

That sounds nice. You get to do the TA, enjoy Fort Lauderdale for a couple of days and then do the Caribbean. I'm sailing with you on the TA. I'm also doing a Caribbean cruise on the Royal but not until December.

I hope Princess has some type of program to store luggage. I would imagine there might be a few others doing what you are doing.

Chose the Nov 3rd sailing which is her first 7 day caribbean cruise. Very happy with the itinerary going to St Thomas and not the Grand Turk route that Princess seemed to stick with.

I just hope she still looks new after her summer in the Med all summer.

I personally dont like big ships, but hope this baby will be something special.

I have hopes that with the new larger canal locks being built in Panama, ships this size will be able to do canal cruises in the future.

As for those with pets......I go through separation anxiety myself. My 16 month old dachshund (Gracie) makes it tough to go away. If I could sneak her onboard believe me I would.

I hear you on the pet thing. Oct 2013 I'm doing my first TA so will be gone for 3 weeks. My darling cat gets stressed out when I'm gone for a week. My mom used to stay with her and that really helped but since my mom passed I have friends come in and check on her. I think of all the things I am trying to figure out on my first TA, the pet thing is the one that has me stressed!

I wonder if the sister ship to the Royal debuting in 2014 will be doing a Western itinerary.

Absolutely. I wish Princess would alternate Eastern and Western Caribbeans (I prefer the latter) or stick a longer Southern or two in there somewhere. Really kinda disappointing. But then, seems like the Royal might lack some features, like aft pools and maybe full promenade deck, that I really enjoy on warm-weather sailings.

Thanks for saying this! Glad to know we aren't the only ones disappointed with the Royal Princess schedule for the Caribbean in 2014.

Thanks for saying this! Glad to know we aren't the only ones disappointed with the Royal Princess schedule for the Caribbean in 2014.

Absolutely. I wish Princess would alternate Eastern and Western Caribbeans (I prefer the latter) or stick a longer Southern or two in there somewhere. Really kinda disappointing.

You can add us to the disappointed list also. To me it really makes no sense to do the same itinerary over and over and over again for a full year.

Not sure if there is another topic started on the design of the Royal Princess, but one thing i'm disappointed in is the Lotus Spa. On deck 5? What are they thinking? I was on the new Carnival Dream last winter and was so impressed with the new layout carnival did with their Spa, I could only think that Princess would of taken a step further and made it even better. Since Carnival does own Princess I thought it was a no-brainer. But on Deck 5? One thing I liked about the current Lotus Spa is being able to buy the Spa pass and enjoy the spa and then exit out to the pool area and/or outside deck. I could be all wrong, but it just seems odd to stick the Spa on deck 5. Love to hear other peoples comments. :p

We don't use the Spa but as a passenger I have to agree that deck 5 is not the ideal spot visually. However, as a business man having it next to passenger services will probably draw more traffic and generate more sales. On other ships unless you use the forward lifts you won't even pass the spa. On the Ruby Princess the only foot traffic is from the passengers who book a room near it. You actually have to want to go to the Spa to see it. I am guessing that by putting it by the passenger service desk will generate impulse sales for at least manicures and hair appointments.

Well, with all of these 'disappointed' people :rolleyes: maybe bookings on the new Royal Princess will be soft enough that the rates will come down next year and we'll get some $599 balcony deals. :D

I think it was the second or third 'I'm disappointed' thread that came out a few weeks back that quite a few people indicated that Princess may have specifically chosen a single familiar itinerary so that it's guests can focus their attentions of it's new baby instead of what itinerary they'd rather see it doing.

I mean if you really don't like the itinerary it's doing I'm sure one of the ships in the Princess fleet can accommodate you. I could easily do a B2B eastern Caribbean on Royal Princess and never even get off the ship. :cool:

I could easily do a B2B eastern Caribbean on Royal Princess and never even get off the ship. :cool:

Me too. We go to the Caribbean in the winter to get away from the cold and snow so we really don't care where it goes. I'd be happy to go around in circles and never stop at a port. We usually do get off the ship and walk around but I'm sick of all the jewelry stores. Now, it is different if we have never been to the port before. We mainly want to go and just relax.

Well, with all of these 'disappointed' people :rolleyes: maybe bookings on the new Royal Princess will be soft enough that the rates will come down next year and we'll get some $599 balcony deals. :D

I mean if you really don't like the itinerary it's doing I'm sure one of the ships in the Princess fleet can accommodate you. I could easily do a B2B eastern Caribbean on Royal Princess and never even get off the ship. :cool:

I can be "disappointed" and still have fun at the same time, which is why I booked a B2B for the 5 & 7 day voyage:D:D

what code?
I think since the OP said they have a FCC that this what he/she was referring too....an FCC number/code.

I believe that the when the Ruby came out, it's inaugural season in the Caribbean was 7 day eastern Caribbean sailings too.
I remember it being the western side...which most times has 4 ports, 4 is better than 3 but I can live with the 3 since its a brand new designed ship.;)

we'll be with you on the B2B 12 day event. looks like royal just replacing ruby which is going to a 4 & 5 day cruise schedule with three or more different sets of ports. may be some welcoming stuff at st thomas and st martin but to us the ship is the event and ports are just anotherr side benefit. see you in 500+ days

I am curious as to whether passengers will look upon sailing this new vessel as something special....especially on formal nights. While I dont expect tuxedos like years past......a coat and tie would be nice on one night. Last December on the Grand Princess I saw the most dressed down passengers I ever saw on a Princess ship. Blue jeans, t-shirts and baseball/ harley caps worn to dinner..into the main dinningroom. It was strange for those of use cleaned up sitting at Crooners watching the parade go by and getting perplexed looks from the jeans and t-shirt crowd as if we were out of place. One gent said...ge, it looks like a funeral. I guess I expect that on carnival...but not Princess.

I am not a snob.....but come on a baseball cap at dinner......gee, maybe I am a snob:eek:

I am curious as to whether passengers will look upon sailing this new vessel as something special....especially on formal nights. While I dont expect tuxedos like years past......a coat and tie would be nice on one night. Last December on the Grand Princess I saw the most dressed down passengers I ever saw on a Princess ship. Blue jeans, t-shirts and baseball/ harley caps worn to dinner..into the main dinningroom. It was strange for those of use cleaned up sitting at Crooners watching the parade go by and getting perplexed looks from the jeans and t-shirt crowd as if we were out of place. One gent said...ge, it looks like a funeral. I guess I expect that on carnival...but not Princess.

I am not a snob.....but come on a baseball cap at dinner......gee, maybe I am a snob:eek:

Hmmm interesting question. We've been skipping formal nights for a while now, not sure what we'll do on the Transatlantic.

we'll be with you on the B2B 12 day event. looks like royal just replacing ruby which is going to a 4 & 5 day cruise schedule with three or more different sets of ports. may be some welcoming stuff at st thomas and st martin but to us the ship is the event and ports are just anotherr side benefit. see you in 500+ days

oldtired, Come on over and join our roll calls. We are doing the B2B 10/29/13 and 11/3/13 also.

Not sure if there is another topic started on the design of the Royal Princess, but one thing i'm disappointed in is the Lotus Spa. On deck 5? What are they thinking? I was on the new Carnival Dream last winter and was so impressed with the new layout carnival did with their Spa, I could only think that Princess would of taken a step further and made it even better. Since Carnival does own Princess I thought it was a no-brainer. But on Deck 5? One thing I liked about the current Lotus Spa is being able to buy the Spa pass and enjoy the spa and then exit out to the pool area and/or outside deck. I could be all wrong, but it just seems odd to stick the Spa on deck 5. Love to hear other peoples comments. :p

On our cruise at New Years they presented a video of the Royal and highlighted the changes and there was discussion with the Capt as to why certain changes were made. One of the reasons for moving the Spa is that it is co-located with the gym, which they wanted to locate in an area which would not disturb passengers below. By moving the gym (and consequently the Spa) to the Plaza, they can extend the hours of the gym (or at least not ban tredmills until 0800) and not worry about disturbing someone sleeping right below. As I'm sure you noticed, there are no staterooms at all on the Plaza - it's all "service" venues.

On our cruise at New Years they presented a video of the Royal and highlighted the changes and there was discussion with the Capt as to why certain changes were made. One of the reasons for moving the Spa is that it is co-located with the gym, which they wanted to locate in an area which would not disturb passengers below. By moving the gym (and consequently the Spa) to the Plaza, they can extend the hours of the gym (or at least not ban tredmills until 0800) and not worry about disturbing someone sleeping right below. As I'm sure you noticed, there are no staterooms at all on the Plaza - it's all "service" venues.

I guess Princess is going back to the way it used to be, on the old Crown and probably the same as the old Royal, the spa and gym were either on plaza or a floor below. I remember going to the spa and noticed that it lacked windows and was "way down". I hope the new Royal's spa and gym will have some windows.

I guess Princess is going back to the way it used to be, on the old Crown and probably the same as the old Royal, the spa and gym were either on plaza or a floor below. I remember going to the spa and noticed that it lacked windows and was "way down". I hope the new Royal's spa and gym will have some windows.

On the old Royal it was on deck 2 below the water line.

Be aware that the Royal Princess' gym will be on Sun deck 17... The Horizon Court is below it...

Archived