Blu and Formal Nights

rachel_95762

We are looking forward to our May cruise and our first cruise in an aqua spa cabin. Are there formal nights in Blu like there are in the MDR?

Thanks!

No, Blu is "smart casual" and above every night. You are certainly welcome to dress formal if you wish, you will not be alone...

We were on Eclipse last week and ate in Blu. On both formal nights the majority of people were dressed - most men were in suits and most women in nice dresses or slacks. There were a couple of tuxes, but we were surprised to see most people dressed up rather than smart casual

We were on Eclipse last week and ate in Blu. On both formal nights the majority of people were dressed - most men were in suits and most women in nice dresses or slacks. There were a couple of tuxes, but we were surprised to see most people dressed up rather than smart casual

I think the rule change is still new, it will take a while to catch on that formal night doesn't apply.

Blu or MDR, people dress up on formal nights. ( thats good ), I just add a tie, and wear darker pants. I don't have room in my suitcase for alot of formal clothes that I can't wear once we get to our destination,..and the airlines weigh and charge for anything over 50 lbs....

Few wear tux's now adays...anyway.

We knew going in that Blu was smart casual every night, but we chose to dress up (DW in beautiful dresses, me in a tux) on the formal nights. After 38 years, DW and I still enjoy getting dressed up for each other.

we'll be dress formally in BLU for the formal nights on Suilho--even the new optional one if they have it !!

That's what we have enjoyed in the past & will continue as long as luggage load permits it!

Frankly we are glad we don't have to pack formal clothes. For 12 active days in Alaska we are going to need more practical items. We will be dressed "smartly" for formal nights in Blu. Sparkly tops and black slacks/skirt for me, dress shirt and dark pants (maybe a tie if I can talk him into it) for DH.

This will be my third Blu experience and until recently I had no idea Formal night didn't apply to them (perhaps the rule change was within the last 12 months?) Anyway, regardless, we'll still dress formally. DH owns his tux and short of some boring work functions I drag him too he doesn't get to take it for a spin too often and each wearing reaffirms to him what a good purchase he made :) I'm not bothered by whether or not the other diners dress formally or not so I'm hoping the same applies (e.g. we aren't making others feel bad by dressing up). We only have eyes for each other ;-)

on Summit in Feb, there were only a few formal dressers on formal night in Blu... Martin, the maitre'd went out of his way to make sure all of us knew formal night was not observed in Blu... made our trip way more enjoyable as neither hubby nor I enjoy dressing up.

for the record, many, many, many more dressed up in Qsine on formal night....

Realize there could be confusion and some wear formal in BLU thinking it is the rule, but my experience is that most know that BLU is casual, but still dress up on formal nights. We did. Heck, a number of regular casual nights I wore a jacket just because BLU is so nice, and I felt better in it, and it gives me lots more pockets to lose things in and my wife always gets a kick watching me frantically patting my pockets looking for my reading glasses.

The majority of BLU diners were in at least sports coats and cocktail dresses/fancy pants outfits on formal nights. And the casual dress looked just fine.

Den

We will be leaving next week for the Silhouette and plan to wear formal clothes in Blu. We have been cruising for more than 20 years and look forward to dressing up for each other not for others.

There is not a man alive that does not look better in a tux!!! It is the James Bond Syndrome:D

Archived