another formal night question

NoobCruise

I really don't want to start another debate. My question is specifically for those who would like to keep formal night enforced. I'm just asking your opinion

I normally despise dressing up and really debated about just skipping formal night, but my husband wants to enjoy it. I have a little black cocktail dress that I plan to wear with a blood red pashmina. I realize my detesting formal wear is because of the shoes. I normally wear really cute high heels to match my dress and end up miserable. I've had a spinal fusion and have been delaying a 2nd one. I've had a knee reconstruction and I have surgical pins in both feet. Not only will I be in pain all evening in high heels, but my back will hurt for several days after. Our cabin is an aft balcony on the Westerdam and I can't imagine walking to the lounge in the bow for a show in heels.

For those of you who feel so strongly about formal night, would wearing some dressy (sparkly) flats/ballet slippers be ok with my dress or would it offend you? I think I would probably enjoy the whole night dressing up if I could wear flats, but I also don't want to stir the wrath of the fashion police lol

I really don't want to start another debate. My question is specifically for those who would like to keep formal night enforced. I'm just asking your opinion

I normally despise dressing up and really debated about just skipping formal night, but my husband wants to enjoy it. I have a little black cocktail dress that I plan to wear with a blood red pashmina. I realize my detesting formal wear is because of the shoes. I normally wear really cute high heels to match my dress and end up miserable. I've had a spinal fusion and have been delaying a 2nd one. I've had a knee reconstruction and I have surgical pins in both feet. Not only will I be in pain all evening in high heels, but my back will hurt for several days after. Our cabin is an aft balcony on the Westerdam and I can't imagine walking to the lounge in the bow for a show in heels.

For those of you who feel so strongly about formal night, would wearing some dressy (sparkly) flats/ballet slippers be ok with my dress or would it offend you? I think I would probably enjoy the whole night dressing up if I could wear flats, but I also don't want to stir the wrath of the fashion police lol

First of all,, don't worry about the fashion police:D

My dh loves me in heels, but on the cruise, I am wearing very flat shoes with barely a heel. When the ship is moving, heels don't always co-operate. I see nothing wrong with dressy flats - what counts is how you feel. If you like the way you look, that's what counts (well maybe your dh too);).

There is no fun in being in pain. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry

Ballet flats would be fine. If you hadn't asked about them, that would have been my suggestion. There are so many cute dressy flats around these days that you should be able to find something you'll like and be comfortable in.

I love wearing high heels! A few years ago, I broke my little toe the day before we were going on a very dressy cruise. It was bad--the doctore said "you really did a number on that toe!" Heels, because they tend to shift weight onto the toes, were out of the question. I bought myself black sequined flipflops so that nothing would press on the sore toe. Fortunately, I was wearing long dresses, so my feet didn't show much.

Since you're wearing a short dress, so go for some "snazzy" flats! Maybe red to match that pashmina?

Wear your flats.

It makes no sense to me for someone to be in pain or risk injuring themselves for fashion. Put on your pretty dress, wear your lovely pashmina and your flats will be fine. Actually, flats are 'hotter' this season than they have been in years. I have always had flats in my closet and always will. Yes, I have the high heels, too, but there are times, my feet are in flats! :)

I just remembered.....

We have had Captains cancel formal night when the seas were rough. He was so afriad some women would not have sense enough to put on flat shoes, he chose to cancel formal altogether than risk a bunch of broken bones. :eek: :D

I actually take my heels off for those long hallway walks...stick them back on when we near the elevator! Of course, that's assuming that we don't score a cabin NEAR the elevators, in the first place!

But...wear what kind of shoes feel best for you! No one cares or will even notice. Folks are pretty introspective on cruises...they don't tend to notice others at all!

I actually take my heels off for those long hallway walks...stick them back on when we near the elevator! Of course, that's assuming that we don't score a cabin NEAR the elevators, in the first place!

But...wear what kind of shoes feel best for you! No one cares or will even notice. Folks are pretty introspective on cruises...they don't tend to notice others at all!

I've done that, especially returning to the cabin at the end of the evening. If there's a crowd at the elevators, I'll take my heels off and use the stairs.

After six surgeries on one foot, and one on the other, I only wear flats! I'm also 5'9" so....

Wear cute flats, and your gorgeous dress and pashmina and have a blast!

Funny note: If you watch the tv show Big Bang Theory - my favorite - you may have noticed that Penny always wears flats when dressed up, despite shows where she buys fancy very high heels. It might be because her boyfiriend on the show, Leonard, is pretty short, but she looks great.

After I fell last year and badly fractured my left wrist -- my spinal stenosis decided to act up.

That ended even wearing 1 inch heels.

I have just completed my second spinal epidural -- one more to go in April. But that is no a cure for the spine -- just a relief.

On our last few cruises I have been wearing a nice pair of flats on formal nights.

Oh my goodness... Wear the flats. I have worn fancy sandals on formal night before. I am to old and arthritic to even think of wearing high heels. When I got married many moons ago I wore satin flats because I was taller then my husband. Go flat and you will be perfect!!!!

No wrath here or on the ship, your shoe choice sound perfect. Just because your dressed up, doesn't mean you should be uncomfortable or miserable. I have found most people do not look down at your shoe's :D

I think heels are very attractive on ladies, and I really enjoy formal nights. However, my wife has foot problems and prefers to wear low heels or flats; and I would never dream of insisting that she, or any other lady, must wear heels in order to satisfy me. Wear comfortable shoes and enjoy formal night. I think you'll be appropriately dressed in a nice pair of flats.

I've had a back problem for several years & also had a full hip replacement last Oct..Still have the sciatica, but trying to avoid surgery as long as possible..Now going through Physical Therapy & yesterday had my second epidural.. Only one more to go in two weeks..

Have not put on a pair of heels since the end of 2008 & now on our cruises have been forced to wear flats with my formal wear..I purchased several pairs at Dillards..Only problem is DH is 6'2 & I'm just about 5' 1...Instead of dancing cheek to cheek, will be dancing cheek to belly button,;) LOL

As others have said, no one will notice or even care what kind of shoes you have on..

Wear those flats, keep your sense of humor & enjoy your cruise..

Cheers...Betty

Oh, how I love cute shoes! A sole, a high heel, a couple of straps---makes my heart go pitty-pat just thinking about buying another pair. Alas, I can no longer wear them. :(

So, I do what so many others have done---bought a couple of pairs of ballet flats that are dressy, but comfortable. It is so much easier to keep a smile on my face when I'm not in pain.

And don't believe those posts about no one notices your shoes. Why buy cute shoes if no one will see them? So, get some cute flats. That is much easier to do these days than even a few years ago.

As someone who loves her dress code, I can firmly say-- Wear the shoes you can walk in without pain. While I might not think it's ok for someone to wear jeans on formal night, I would never think twice about someone who is dressed well and wearing comfortable shoes.

Comfort first! I switch between black velvety flat ballerina type slippers (no one has ever noticed they are not "shoes") and dressy flip flops. I have silver and gold ones, depending on which color scheme I pack.

Besides, no one is going to look at your feet when you have that big smile on your face from being on a cruise! :rolleyes:

Archived