The length of your cruise

cruz4evr

One of my favorites is a 8 night Eastern Caribbean on one of the RCI Freedom class ships out of either Fort Lauderdale or Miami a great itinerary..The longest so far has been a 12 night Northern Europe & Baltics... the time flew by and it ended much quicker than I expected..another great itinerary.

Cruises from the UK tend to be longer on average. Many cruises have ports in the Mediterranean on their itinerary so it takes a few days to get there! We can do 7-day cruises to the fjords or the Atlantic coast of France and Spain, but to the Med they're usually 14 days or more

We've just returned from 35 days onboard P&O Oceana. Our first port of call was Madeira before we sailed transatlantic to the Eastern Caribbean then across the Gulf of Mexico to New Orleans before going onto Florida - Key West/Port Everglades/Port Canaveral then Charleston and Ponte Delgada in the Azores. FANTASTIC!!

Our next cruise is 24 days to the Mediterranean and the Black Sea which is another amazing itinerary. :)

We are retired, so ours are 30+ days

That is fantastic! I would love such a long cruise! :) Hopefully when DH retires such a long cruise would be possible but I have a feeling he wouldn't want to be on a cruise ship for that length of time. :(

Cruises from the UK tend to be longer on average. Many cruises have ports in the Mediterranean on their itinerary so it takes a few days to get there! We can do 7-day cruises to the fjords or the Atlantic coast of France and Spain, but to the Med they're usually 14 days or more

We've just returned from 35 days onboard P&O Oceana. Our first port of call was Madeira before we sailed transatlantic to the Eastern Caribbean then across the Gulf of Mexico to New Orleans before going onto Florida - Key West/Port Everglades/Port Canaveral then Charleston and Ponte Delgada in the Azores. FANTASTIC!!

Our next cruise is 24 days to the Mediterranean and the Black Sea which is another amazing itinerary. :)

You must have some fabulous stories of your travels and lots of pictures!

My wife has always been hesitant about longer cruises, so I have just gradually lengthened them. We we first retired it was 15 or 20 day cruises. By last year, I slipped it two that were over 40 days and next year, we have a 49 day cruise booked.

Andrea I'm sure you will find what is right for you........throughout your career and marriage.

As I said 14 days is just about right for us........we are also retired, but have way to many responsibilities with church, grandkids etc to ever take much more than a 16 day cruise. Even retired......somehow our responsibilities didn't disappear:)......they just changed LOL!!

We always book a fornight's cruise for our main holiday, or perhaps 17 nights, then have one or two last minute for a week. The week ones are not as satisfying, but usually quite cheap! We also like a fortnight's stay/cruise in Egypt, with Thomson in the winter.....it has to be the hotel first, because the cruise is the best part!

Jo.

Book 7 days. 3 and 4 days are too short, and would not be worth the additional expense considering where we live. 7 days will have enough activities for the kids. Anything longer than that, and it would not be active enough for the kids. If we weren't cruising with the kids, I'd love to book 14 days or more. We did one 10 day Princess cruise, and had a good time, but was a bit too sedate for our tastes.

10 days are ideal for me. You may notice that 9 day cruises are a lot cheaper for some reason (not many of them, though). I have definitely enjoyed my 5 day cruises but I was not ready to leave. 7 days are ok- I can accept that it's time to leave:o. By the end of a ten day I am ready to go back home and see the kids and pets.

Even though we are retired, the shortest cruise we will do is 14 days.

It is now a hassle for us to get to the ships.

We don't live near an airport so have to stay a hotel before we fly out the next morning. And now we no longer have direct flights to anywhere.

And at the end of the cruise -- overnight in the disembarkation port -- then fly home -- and again overnight in an airport hotel before we drive home.

If we can find a west coast itinerary that we can drive to then 7 days works, but if we have to fly to the port then 14 days or longer is what we want. Our longest so far has been 15 days, we have 17 and 20 day cruises upcoming and then we will see if we can handle longer ones.

My wife and I both work so we're limited by vacation schedules - we both work where its virtually impossible to get two weeks off in a row. Our longest so far has been 7 days although we've got an 8 day coming up next month. Its Saturday to Sunday so realistically probably the longest we'll take until job changes or retirement (30 years away!) I could stay on a whip for weeks but my wife is usually ready to be home after the week.

That said, we took a last minute "emergency" need to get away 4 day cruise last October over a weekend and it was surprisingly enjoyable. Wouldn't do it often since airfare was as much or more than the cruise but it was very nice. You mostly hear people slamming the shorter cruises around here so I thought I'd post my experience.

I'd love to be able to do some of the longer itineraries as they look wonderful and the 7 day routes kind of get old but what are you going to do!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

We just booked our first cruise and it's a 7 day cruise. I took a 3 day with school when I was 14, but don't really remember that one well. We are both working and as Waterloomarc mentioned we won't be retiring for another 30-40 years so we have to work around vacation schedules. Plus we're on a budget so paying for a 14 or 20 or heck a 40 day cruise would probably be out of the question for us.

Archived