Catholic Priest on board RCCL Oasis?

Sailing Oasis in July and would like to know if there will be a Catholic Priest on board to say Mass. We've been on several Celebrity cruises and they did have a priest on board for daily Mass. Thank you, as always, for your kind help.

Most ships to not have "staff" or "guest staff" that perform religious services. However, if a priest is on board, and they want to hold a daily mass that is open to the public, the ship has a very nice chapel that they can use for that purpose. They would be a paying guest.

In thirty cruises on Royal Caribbean, we have been on cruises that had a priest saying daily mass on only three cruises. Oh, come to think of it, one of those cruises was actually on Celebrity.

I recall one of the cruises had a large group of Polish guests who had brought their own priest. He graciously did mass for anyone who wished to be there and he did it in both Polish and English.

Two of the cruises were cruises we took over Easter, so the odds might be higher then.

Check the bulletin board which is usually near the Guest Services desk. At that bulletin board notices are posted for groups such as Friends of Bill, Red Hat Society and various religious groups if there are any.

• 2 years later...

Actually this thread might concern me.

Am I guaranteed a Catholic priest onboard if I book a cruise on the Oasis from March 26th to April 2nd, 2016, as per Royal Caribbean's policy? Easter is March 27th, 2016.

Thanks.

Am I guaranteed a Catholic priest onboard if I book a cruise on the Oasis from March 26th to April 2nd, 2016, as per Royal Caribbean's policy? Easter is March 27th, 2016.

Thanks.

To what policy are you referring?

Thanks.

From what I found it sounds like interdenominational service on Easter. No guarantee of a Catholic priest.

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/docs/rccl-pdfs/faqs_073012.pdf

Are religious services held onboard? There is an interdenominational service every Sunday and a Sabbath

service every Friday. On Passover, Easter, Christmas and Hanukkah

(when it coincides with Christmas), holiday services will be available.

Edited by dcgrumpy

Thanks.

No you are not.

In thirty cruises on Royal Caribbean, we have been on cruises that had a priest saying daily mass on only three cruises. Oh, come to think of it, one of those cruises was actually on Celebrity.

Two of the cruises were cruises we took over Easter, so the odds might be higher then.

So I should be good.

http://www.thecatholictravelguide.com/CruisesWillTherebeaCatholicPriestonmyCruise.html

A Catholic priest on certain cruises:

> Royal Caribbean: Christmas, Easter and re-positioning cruises, (placed by AOS-USA).

Edited by TVMonitor

So I should be good.

When it comes to having a priest on board, there is a significant difference between Celebrity and Royal. Celebrity is much more likely to have a priest on board.

When it comes to having a priest on board, there is a significant difference between Celebrity and Royal. Celebrity is much more likely to have a priest on board.

Priests don't like flow riders and rock walls?:p

I would check with Royal Caribbean...

Hmm... I actually don't know anyone at RCI who would verify this. Seems the CSR's are not in any position to give out correct information. Call three times, get three different answers. :p

Additionally, we have been on two repos and I'm not certain there was a priest onboard for either of them. *shrug*

From my personal Jewish experience.....all Jewish services that have been conducted on board a Royal ship, that I know of, have been 'passenger led' in an area provided by Royal. I was on board during Chanukah, several years ago, and Royal provided a room, and had the time for services listed on the Cruise Compass, and provided some very nice 'holiday food treats'. All the guests participating had a very nice time, and the guests conducted the services, not one of them was a rabbi. They did not provide a rabbi as leader NOR prayer books. I also know that for Shabbat services on Friday or Saturday morning, Royal will provide a room for services, but nothing more. So the service is either done from memory of the lay leader, or using printed material that the lay leader/passenger had brought.

I would not expect Royal to provide a priest nor the written material for any service.....but that would be my expectation, based on my own experience.

Sailing Oasis in July and would like to know if there will be a Catholic Priest on board to say Mass. We've been on several Celebrity cruises and they did have a priest on board for daily Mass. Thank you, as always, for your kind help.

Only during High Holy days,. if at all

Thanks.

no you are not GUARANTEED one at all. they will make every effort but since they do not employ staff in such a role you are at the mercy of availability and willingness of denominations.

you might get a Presbyterian. or a Methodist.

Thanks for sharing. I did put in an e-mail inquiry. I will get back here if I get a reply from Royal Caribbean.

If a Catholic priest isn't available, then I would have to switch to Holland. I jumped in on their BOGO offer.

Edited by TVMonitor

Thanks for sharing. I did put in an e-mail inquiry. I will get back here if I get a reply from Royal Caribbean.

If a Catholic priest isn't available, then I would have to switch to Holland. I jumped in on their BOGO offer.

they will not be able to confirm/deny/gty anything. you will not know until you board what, if any dedicated/planned services there will be or who will be conducting them.

I always tell my Pre Vatican 2 family members that if it is that important, to NOT sail over any High Holy Day.

when we sailed over christmas one year we ran intio the priest in one of the lounges . was not only not Cathlic, he was a last minute substtitution for the gentleman originally scheduled to sail on that ship. he conducted a midnight mass and one service on the 25th

so unless easter falls on a Port day and you can find a local Church to attend you are running a risk

The Apostolate of the Sea, part of the National Catholic Bishop's Conference of Bishops, provides Catholic priests to various Cruise lines including Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Celebrity, etc. Each individual line determines when/if they wish to have a priest aboard. The priest usually is responsible for also providing a non-denominational "Protestant" service also. Royal Caribbean's policy, as I understand it, is to request a priest for their ships for Christmas, Easter, longer repositioning cruises etc; however they are not carried on other trips. AOS recruits and "vets" priests and assigns them in accordance with the policy of the individual cruise line. You will not however know whether or not their is a priest assigned to your cruise over Christmas, Easter etc. until you arrive aboard. On RCI there will NOT be a priest aboard at the request of the cruise line on other trips. Occasionally a priest, travelling as a regular passenger will be aboard, and ask to celebrate Mass. RCI would usually publicize this fact in the daily Compass and all would thus be welcome to attend.