Flat Tire on the way to the Port

rolloman

Interesting event I noticed today on my way to Port Canaveral. A young man and his family were on the side of the road with a flat tire. It was quarter to 3:00 in the afternoon and the the ships leave at 5:00. This means they had less than a half hour to get to check in. Believe it or not those of you who have traveled to the port on 528, he was a mile away with the ships clearly in site. What would you do? This individual was trying to change the tire with wife standing on the side of the road with luggage stuffed in the back of their SUV. Personally, I would have road the rim to the ship. I hope they made it.

Interesting event I noticed today on my way to Port Canaveral. A young man and his family were on the side of the road with a flat tire. It was 3:00 in the afternoon and the the ships leave at 4:30. This means they had less than a half hour to get to check in. Believe it or not those of you who have traveled to the port on 528, he was a mile away with the ships clearly in site. What would you do? This individual was trying to change the tire with wife standing on the side of the road with luggage stuffed in the back of their SUV. Personally, I would have road the rim to the ship. I hope they made it.

If it was 3:00 he missed the ship. They had to be onboard by that time.

They had their tailgate open loaded with luggage on a one way road to the ships and were in a hurry....you tell me.......

Still confused...you said they were on the side of the road, but you said they were in a hurry?

And 528 is far from "a one way road to the ships". There happens to be a lot of beach communities that are reached via 528. Perhaps they were on their way to (or even returning home from) a vacation other than a cruise? They might live in Cocoa Beach, and could just be returning from the Orlando airport.

Still confused...you said they were on the side of the road, but you said they were in a hurry?

And 528 is far from "a one way road to the ships". There happens to be a lot of beach communities that are reached via 528. Perhaps they were on their way to (or even returning home from) a vacation other than a cruise?

I guess you are just someone who is confused no matter what the explanation... move on to another thread please.

For those following along. It was clear they were in a panic. The ships were in sight. They were headed EAST on 528 to the port exit.

I guess you are just someone who is confused no matter what the explanation... move on to another thread please.

For those following along. It was clear they were in a panic. The ships were in sight. They were headed EAST on 528 to the port exit.

I'm very familiar with that area. Since you're from south Florida, I'm surprised you're not.

As I said, there are MANY other things that that highway leads to heading east other than cruise ships. And there are MANY reasons why people driving along it might be in a hurry. Maybe they had to go to the bathroom?:D

Now if you had seen RCI luggage tags on their suitcases, then you'd have something.

Personally, I'd have pulled over and helped him change the tire - but that's just me.

The jack was still on the donut was installed. No need to stop. The question is what would you do if faced with the same situation.

Seems to me I read somewhere recently that you are now required to be on board 90 mins before the ship sails. This was news to me, I had previously thought it was 60 mins. I'm not sure now which is correct, it's never been much of an issue for us because we always arrive several hours before departure (like kids on Christmas morning!). Anyway.... yikes! :eek: Even roadside assistance isn't going to be much help in that case. Hope they made it, and if not :(, how awful. I hope they invested in travel insurance.

Seems to me I read somewhere recently that you are now required to be on board 90 mins before the ship sails. This was news to me, I had previously thought it was 60 mins. I'm not sure now which is correct, it's never been much of an issue for us because we always arrive several hours before departure (like kids on Christmas morning!). Anyway.... yikes! :eek: Even roadside assistance isn't going to be much help in that case. Hope they made it, and if not :(, how awful. I hope they invested in travel insurance.

It is 90 minutes prior to departure.

A lot of times ships do not leave on time. Not sure what the ruling is for passengers if a ship is supposed to sail at 5 pm and does not until 530 due to waiting on ships company, entertainment folks, deliveries etc.

I'm very familiar with that area. Since you're from south Florida, I'm surprised you're not.

As I said, there are MANY other things that that highway leads to heading east other than cruise ships. And there are MANY reasons why people driving along it might be in a hurry. Maybe they had to go to the bathroom?:D

Now if you had seen RCI luggage tags on their suitcases, then you'd have something.

They were Disney tags.... Disney Dream. I live around the corner.....again move along... you only want to stir the pot not contribute to the question at hand.

te=JMG;33164454]Good question!

I have no idea what ship he was on, could have been the Freedom of the Seas or Carnival Victory or Disney Dream....jeeesh a lot of uptight people on the boards tonight.....

Basically, I was trying to hear what the masses thought if they were faced with a similar situation. The only options I could think of was to drive the car regardless of the flat....(only a mile), or change it like the individuals I saw chose to do. They may have had about 15 minutes to get to check in, so if it was a rental they could have caught a ride at the park and cruise nearby and told them to come get it...who knows, all I can say is I would not changed the tire and instead tried to limp the mile into the port. Unfortunately a few on here want to turn this thread into something it is not. Forget about what I saw today...instead focus on flat tire, mile from the ship...minutes to spare, what would you do or what have you done...

" They were Disney tags.... Disney Dream. "

and

" I have no idea what ship he was on, could have been the Freedom of the Seas or Carnival Victory or Disney Dream "

confused...

Archived