Flat Tire on the way to the Port

rolloman

We were taking the explorer from Bayonne, waiting in line to park. The driver in front of us got something out of his hatch, and his back window shattered when he closed it!

It was early, but I still wonder what he ended up doing. I know some glass companies make house calls. But what a downer to worry about all week.

As far as changing a flat... We always leave time for such things. 3 o'clock for a 5 o'clock sailing is way too close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only one mile from the port? I would ride that tire all the way to the port and deal with it later like when I get home! (of course if I was leaving from Port Canaveral someone who is not going on the cruise would be driving our car to and from the port so we dont have to pay parking)

Start walking with as much luggage as I could take then hitch hike it JK don't want it towed. But yes I would have definately hobbled on my 3 wheels to the port and hoped for the best when I got back. I don't think a new rim would cost as much as losing the entire price of the cruise.

PC is one of those ports where we definitely want to go the day before. We've heard stories of traffic jams and bad accidents. Last time we went through there was a lot of construction. One way to not worry about getting flat, go the day before.

I hope they got to the ship on time. Makes you wonder if they have a"Flat Tyre rule" like on Southwest Airlines if you miss the plane they put you on the next one if you show up within an x amount of time at the checkin counter after your flight left.

The jack was still on the donut was installed. No need to stop. The question is what would you do if faced with the same situation.

Aside from all the jerks trying to turn this into an arguement....... :rolleyes:

It's funny/ironic that you have this post at this time. We are just back from our cruise that we booked about 8 months in advance and looked forward to it FOR--EV--ER!! And the same thing happened to us on the way to the airport to fly to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise. AND the spare was flat!! :eek:

You asked "what would you do if faced.... We always go a day before the cruise so we can relax once we are there and not worry about "Last Minute Murphy's". I got my airpump out of the trunk, aired the spare-tire up while I was getting the jack jacked and the lug nuts off. Got the tire changed and back on the road again in about 15 minutes, and we were still at the airport in plenty of time and at Ft. Lauderdale with 24 hours to spare - (excuse the pun);).

I don't think a new rim would cost as much as losing the entire price of the cruise.

Very good point! I can honestly say that would have never crossed my mind if I was in such a situation...although I probably would just run on the rim anyways out of shear fear and anxiety! :p

Aside from all the jerks trying to turn this into an arguement....... :rolleyes:

It's funny/ironic that you have this post at this time. We are just back from our cruise that we booked about 8 months in advance and looked forward to it FOR--EV--ER!! And the same thing happened to us on the way to the airport to fly to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise. AND the spare was flat!! :eek:

You asked "what would you do if faced.... We always go a day before the cruise so we can relax once we are there and not worry about "Last Minute Murphy's". I got my airpump out of the trunk, aired the spare-tire up while I was getting the jack jacked and the lug nuts off. Got the tire changed and back on the road again in about 15 minutes, and we were still at the airport in plenty of time and at Ft. Lauderdale with 24 hours to spare - (excuse the pun);).

I figured this had to have happend to someone. Glad it turned out well for you. As for these people I felt bad for them, I know it was close, he still had the jack on the car but the spare was on the rim so there was no need for me to stop. I like the idea above about one of the parties maybe hitching a ride just to alert the port of the situation, maybe the cruiseline would wait a few more minutes. I do not know the ruling though. Must a passenger be checked in two hours before the ship is "scheduled to leave" or when the ship actually leaves? Clearly this would make a difference in decision making.

I've had flat tires on the way to a couple of different trips (not cruises either time, but on the way to the airport for land-based trips to Roatan). Both times, I made it without any issue because I'd given us some "trouble time" in case something happened unexpectadly.

Oddly, both times we had others going with us & following us in their vehicles, so I had help in changing the tire. The 2nd time the other guy was a truck driver; we looked like a NASCAR pit crew & had that thing changed out in mere minutes - spent more time pulling luggage to get to the jack than we actually spent changing the tire. I'd swung into the parking lot of a convenience store when the tire went; my wife & his wife went in to use the restroom & get a soda, and we ended up waiting on THEM to get back on the road.

Not sure what I'd do in the situation described by the OP. It shouldn't take any more that a few minutes to change a tire, so I'd probably do that - but if it was likely that those few minutes would cause me to miss the ship I'd probably drive on the rim - then set aside some of my gambling/drinking money to pay for the damage I'd done.

I would have called AAA and they would come and take care of the tire/towing and whatever else the car needed. AAA is one of the best $45 yearly investments you can make. THey have saved my bottom several times :). I even made my first cruise reservation through them.

What does any of this have to do with a Royal Caribbean thread anyway?

It doesn't! But just like passing through a bad car accident, you can't help but watch....and in this case, read the responses! Entertaining for sure! :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd have pulled over and helped him change the tire - but that's just me.

I would have stopped and helped him change the tire as well instead of driving by. ESPECIALLY if I assumed he was close to missing a cruise.

I would have stopped and helped him change the tire as well instead of driving by. ESPECIALLY if I assumed he was close to missing a cruise.

This will be the 3rd time I have mentioned the tire was ALREADY changed. The simple thread is what would YOU do if YOU had a flat a mile from the ship, NOT what would you do if you saw a person with a flat...

Suddenly I have more respect for my wife's career as a reading coach.

This will be the 3rd time I have mentioned the tire was ALREADY changed. The simple thread is what would YOU do if YOU had a flat a mile from the ship, NOT what would you do if you saw a person with a flat...

Suddenly I have more respect for my wife's career as a reading coach.

since this is an imaginary thread, i would have imagined a tow truck behind me pulling over to tow him, his wife, his family (if he had an imaginary family) and his car to the port in plenty of time to make the ship. now they can enjoy their imaginary cruise.:)

Find a good book and a comfy corner to settle in folks and enjoy yourselves. Surely you all have better things to do than devote 3 pages to a flat tire??

Have been coming here for a while , but this is likely the most discussion devoted to the most trivial of issues that I have seen. JMHO

I'm headed back to MY book........ enjoy!

Archived