Do I REALLY need to know all this???

account4fun

Our first trip to Europe will be in June and I have been reading LOTS of articles / books etc.

My question is how much info is too much? Do I really need to call Diet Coke Coca Cola Light, Know how to order galeto correctly in Italian, know all the different types of coffee and what time to drink them, not to ask for meatballs with my spaghetti, etc etc etc.

If we were constantly consulting our notes / guidebooks I feel like we would be stressed out and not enjoy the experience.

So what is just FYI and what is necessary to get around Italy (other then please and thank you)? We will be going to the "normal" tourist places but eating more "local"

Thanks!!

No, you don't really need to know all that sort of stuff. Except, if you ask for 'diet coke' depending on where you are you may get a long blank stare, best to ask for coke lite.

As long as you know what the items on the menus are then you will be ok, and in any case in the really touristy areas the menu will usually have the English translation as well.

It is worth remembering that in cetain areas (Venice in particular) if you sit at an outside table you will be charged a whole lot more than at an inside table. Stand at the bar and it's even less.

Our first trip to Europe will be in June and I have been reading LOTS of articles / books etc.

My question is how much info is too much? Do I really need to call Diet Coke Coca Cola Light, Know how to order galeto correctly in Italian, know all the different types of coffee and what time to drink them, not to ask for meatballs with my spaghetti, etc etc etc.

If we were constantly consulting our notes / guidebooks I feel like we would be stressed out and not enjoy the experience.

So what is just FYI and what is necessary to get around Italy (other then please and thank you)? We will be going to the "normal" tourist places but eating more "local"

Thanks!!

Perhaps a better question to ask about a drink of Coke is "How much am I willing to spend?" American sodas are incredibly expensive. You'll be able to purchase a lovely glass of wine for considerably less than a Coke. You might want to think about drinking like a local -- bottled water or wine -- once you already plan on eating local.

As for most of the other questions, it isn't essential that you know the many Italian rules about food and drink. Everyone is going to know you're a tourist simply by looking at you and they will expect you not to know the rules. They might roll their eyes privately and, if you're truly eating at a Mom and Pop restaurant give you a little pushback about ordering meatballs and spaghetti as a single dish, but nothing will happen to spoil your visit.

Incidentally, the most Italian thing you can do when eating in a restaurant is to get into a long conversation with the waiter about what looked good in the market that day and how is the chef preparing it. Assuming you have a bit of a spirit of adventure, let the waiter guide you in your ordering.

Perhaps a better question to ask about a drink of Coke is "How much am I willing to spend?" American sodas are incredibly expensive.

BOY do you have this right... I was just about to post something similar....unless you are CRAVING coke or diet coke make do with water or wine.... My DH and I foolishly ordered cokes for lunch last year and they were 7.5E EACH...which tranlsated into US $10.00 EACH....couldn't believe the drink was more than the sandwich......it was THE ONLY coke we had during our time in Rome....:eek::eek:

BOY do you have this right... I was just about to post something similar....unless you are CRAVING coke or diet coke make do with water or wine.... My DH and I foolishly ordered cokes for lunch last year and they were 7.5E EACH...which tranlsated into US $10.00 EACH....couldn't believe the drink was more than the sandwich......it was THE ONLY coke we had during our time in Rome....:eek::eek:

WOW very good to know! I've read they were expensive but didn't know it was that much!

More important, IMO, than "knowing" everything is being observant and adaptable when traveling.

You don't have to know all the ins and outs if you can just trust yourself to observe what others do and go with the flow. For example, in Italy it isn't automatic to smother every pasta dish with grated cheese. Some dishes call for it and some do not. If your waiter offers it (and you want it), then partake. If it's not offered, then try the dish without -- that's the way the chef meant it to be eaten.

In general, I find Italians to be pretty easygoing when it comes to most things food-related. There is a lot less food-snobbery than in France, for example. Food is to be enjoyed. If you have American preferences and want your salad first rather than with your meal, or butter with your bread, or whatever -- generally no one is going to think the less of you.

Re: sodas -- yes, they are more expensive in Europe than in the US. On the other hand, I've never paid 7,5 euro for one -- that was definitely a tourist trap!

Edited to add: A good rule of thumb if something is offered but no price given is to ASK. It's not rude. Too many tourists get ripped off when offered a special dish (with no price) by unscrupulous restaurants in busy tourist areas. Same goes with gelato: get a price before you order some fancy special concoction that's offered. I've heard folks say they paid as much as 20 euro for some of these gelato/whipped cream/kitchen sink confections.

Re: sodas -- yes, they are more expensive in Europe than in the US. On the other hand, I've never paid 7,5 euro for one -- that was definitely a tourist trap!

OH you're absolutely right about it being a tourist trap...the sandwich was less expensive than the cola...but you know the old saying...fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...shame on me....it didn't happen again..

good advice to ALWAYS asked...we did learn that...:)

If you are dining, or even getting gelato, etc. don't buy near the tourist traps. A friend of ours paid 5E for a gelato across from the Trevi fountain. The same would have cost him 1.5-2E a block or so down the street at a bakeshop. Order the house wine, if the waiter suggests something else just make sure you know the cost of that something else.

In all our visits to Rome, I have never ever paid 7.5 euros for a coke....and I do drink them - a lot.

As for knowing all that other information..... well some of it is good to know and some of it is, well, just plain ridiculous.

For instance, I like cappuccino. To Italians it is usually never drank after breakfast - but I guarantee that if you ask for one any time of the day - you will be served one. As for ordering gelato correctly in Italian...... pssshh. Every gelato place I have been to (and thats a lot !!!!!) the flavors are in Italian and English and if not, just point and ask and they will tell you what it is.......

My advice is to go and enjoy yourself. Worry about the important stuff like getting to the ship on time, taking time to "stop and smell the roses" or just to soak up some Rome-ness (or wherever else you go) :D

... Know how to order galeto correctly in Italian, know all the different types of coffee and what time to drink them, not to ask for meatballs with my spaghetti, etc etc etc.

There is one thing you need to know about ordering gelato that builds on what Cruisemom has already written: be observant. Many gelato places separate the steps for paying and ordering. Look around and determine whether the gelateria has a cash register separate from the ice cream counter. If so, get on the cash register line and place your order. This does not mean specify your flavor; it simply means ordering a one/two/three scoop cone or cup. You'll get a cash register receipt. Take this receipt to the ice cream counter and finish the transaction.

My advice is to go and enjoy yourself. Worry about the important stuff like getting to the ship on time, taking time to "stop and smell the roses" or just to soak up some Rome-ness (or wherever else you go) :D

That's what I thought thanks!

As long as you are willing to roll with the punches, then no, you probably don't need to know all these little things.

If someone is a traveller like my late mother, then it might help! My mother had many good qualities, but could never undestand that everywhere wasn't like home. Why couldn't ice water be free, and very full of ice, just like home? Why couldn't she be offered a choice of 8 salad dressings in every restaurant, just like home? Why was Italian coffee so strong? Why wasn't caffe Americano the default coffee? Surely everyone must secretly prefer it? :p

She was fun, but did better with some briefing so that she knew what to expect.

There is one thing you need to know about ordering gelato that builds on what Cruisemom has already written: be observant. Many gelato places separate the steps for paying and ordering. Look around and determine whether the gelateria has a cash register separate from the ice cream counter. If so, get on the cash register line and place your order. This does not mean specify your flavor; it simply means ordering a one/two/three scoop cone or cup. You'll get a cash register receipt. Take this receipt to the ice cream counter and finish the transaction.

This also applies in some cafes as well as gelato shops. You pay for your coffee at the till, then take the slip to the counter.

No, but knowing local lingo can get a good response from waiters and staff, getting you better service and sometimes the chance the strike up nice conversations with local people.

I wouldn't worry about memorizing each and every little thing. At each port familiarize yourself with a few local things, watch for basic tourist traps and go with the flow.

In all our visits to Rome, I have never ever paid 7.5 euros for a coke....and I do drink them - a lot.

Me too!! I am an addict. :D

Since my Italy trips are usually land trips, I tend to stay in one place and use it as my point for exploration. I buy my cokes in grocery stores & keep them in the fridge in my room. MUCH cheaper that way!

For soft drink addicts: In Rome, there is a grocery store conveniently located in the bottom of Termini station (at the Marsala exit). They sell coke & other american soft drinks.

jill

I have taken two land trips to Italy and will be cruising in June. The land trips were the best I have ever taken - don't worry - the Italian people in general were wonderful - very friendly - not understanding Italian was never a problem. We ate tons of gelato (I don't remember about soda but my kids were with us). The one thing we did learn is that if you order at the counter for ice cream or cappuccino and take it away you pay less than ordering at a table in many places. Having said that sometimes it was worth it to sit on a plaza and eat or drink and watch the people. You should have an awesome time.

Me too!! I am an addict. :D

Since my Italy trips are usually land trips, I tend to stay in one place and use it as my point for exploration. I buy my cokes in grocery stores & keep them in the fridge in my room. MUCH cheaper that way!

For soft drink addicts: In Rome, there is a grocery store conveniently located in the bottom of Termini station (at the Marsala exit). They sell coke & other american soft drinks.

jill

The 7.5E Coke was in a RESTAURANT and it WAS a tourist trap...happened once.... It was particularly appalling because I normally don't even drink soda...if I drank a lot I would do the same - find a grocery store and buy some....

But I found drinking WINE to much more preferable!!!!:D:D

More important, IMO, than "knowing" everything is being observant and adaptable when traveling.

You don't have to know all the ins and outs if you can just trust yourself to observe what others do and go with the flow. For example, in Italy it isn't automatic to smother every pasta dish with grated cheese. Some dishes call for it and some do not. If your waiter offers it (and you want it), then partake. If it's not offered, then try the dish without -- that's the way the chef meant it to be eaten.

In general, I find Italians to be pretty easygoing when it comes to most things food-related. There is a lot less food-snobbery than in France, for example. Food is to be enjoyed. If you have American preferences and want your salad first rather than with your meal, or butter with your bread, or whatever -- generally no one is going to think the less of you.

Edited to add: A good rule of thumb if something is offered but no price given is to ASK. It's not rude. Too many tourists get ripped off when offered a special dish (with no price) by unscrupulous restaurants in busy tourist areas. Same goes with gelato: get a price before you order some fancy special concoction that's offered. I've heard folks say they paid as much as 20 euro for some of these gelato/whipped cream/kitchen sink confections.

Great advise from Cynthia.

I suggest that learning about the country and language will enhance your travel experience.

Also, if you go to Europe and ask for a bathroom, you will probably get a blank stare. Ask for the toilet.

I'm not sure how many countries you'll be visiting on your trip but one thing I always do is create a little "cheat sheet" showing tipping customs (meals, cabs, toilets, etc) for each country. I carry this with me so that I always know the right thing to do.

Wait - no one told you how to order pizza???? ;)

Remember - The pizza is sold by the Kilo, not by the slice. I was told that "Un etto" is about what a slice is in the US...

Seriously, all the advice you've seen is good. Don't overload yourself, just go with the flow. At breakfast or lunch, get your cafe or panini at the counter and either stand up there and eat or take it with you. Definitely saves some money. I agree with the mention of talking with the server or chef about what was fresh or special. I did this at Armando al Pantheon one night. I ended up with a fantastic pasta dish with fresh wild baby strawberries in it and a scrumptious hazelnut torte that the owner's daughter made that day (also not on the menu).

Just learn a few phrases to show that you want to make an effort to not be just another "tourist". "Please", "Thank You", "Excuse Me", "Where is the toilet", "I do not speak Italian, just English", "Good morning", "Good Afternoon", Good Evening". These will get you by. I try to learn these in the language of any country I am going to. They don't take long to learn, either.

Archived