Interesting Perspective -- 12 year old

momatibm

We just returned from the Eurodam -- 31 Mar - 7 April. We had our 12 year old Grandson with us. Here is one of his comments -- we were sitting in the Ocean bar having cocktails (he had a Sprite Zero) before dinner on the second formal night. He was in his Tux( which he had before the cruise, not bought for the cruise). He made his mother move from my side so he could ask me a question without being overheard.

He wanted to know why the people next to us were dressed the way they were for formal night (sleeveless t-shirts, jeans, and a little less than appropriate for the the lady -- I hadn't noticed until he mentioned it)- I told him I would explain later. Which I did when we were in a less public place. But he didn't think they should have been dressed like that.

Now this is the kid who wore a tie to dinner every night, not a jacket but a tie. Apparently the younger crowd has figured out the dress code.

We just returned from the Eurodam -- 31 Mar - 7 April. We had our 12 year old Grandson with us. Here is one of his comments -- we were sitting in the Ocean bar having cocktails (he had a Sprite Zero) before dinner on the second formal night. He was in his Tux( which he had before the cruise, not bought for the cruise). He made his mother move from my side so he could ask me a question without being overheard.

He wanted to know why the people next to us were dressed the way they were for formal night (sleeveless t-shirts, jeans, and a little less than appropriate for the the lady -- I hadn't noticed until he mentioned it)- I told him I would explain later. Which I did when we were in a less public place. But he didn't think they should have been dressed like that.

Now this is the kid who wore a tie to dinner every night, not a jacket but a tie. Apparently the younger crowd has figured out the dress code.

cute:D he'll probably be one of those that turns the trend back in the future:)

Sure sounds like something you'd hear from a younster on the Old Art Linkletter Show:) "Kids Say The Darndest Things" !!!

Gotta love it when it comes from a child!!!

Joanie

Did you explain to him that if they were not in the MDR participating in Formal Night then it wasnt mandatory for them to be wearing formal clothing :)

I explained that if they ate in the Lido or Room Service they didn't have to be in formal dress, but the Public inside areas are supposed to be in the 'dress of the day' -- ie -- they could have been at the SeaView Bar or the Lido Bar but shouldn't have been in the Ocean Bar (as I understand the HAL request)

If I ever meet your grandson, I will be happy to share some of my chocolate! The kid's a winner.

The pendulum always swings back. It will take a while, but the time will come again when people realize there are different levels of dress for different occasions. And they will want to look nice.

My nephew LOVED to dress when he was that age, he had dozens of suits. Now that he is mid-20's, he shows up to nice restauarants in ripped jeans and t-shirts and even worse, we can't get him to take off his ballcap.

I hope your dear grandson doesn't outgrow his good fashion sense!

My nephew LOVED to dress when he was that age, he had dozens of suits. Now that he is mid-20's, he shows up to nice restauarants in ripped jeans and t-shirts and even worse, we can't get him to take off his ballcap.

I hope your dear grandson doesn't outgrow his good fashion sense!

lol Probably because he doesn't have to wear what his mom makes him wear anymore.

My grandson is also a musician -- where he has to wear the fancy dress, but it carries over to his regular life -- always wears at least a polo shirt to go out to eat -- even at the 'local' -- and a tie at least for anything fancier. He 'ragged' on his grandfather on the first night of the cruise because he didn't wear a tie for dinner. Go figure.

Having just returned from this same cruise, i'm not surprised. I was shocked at how people chose to dress in the public spaces during formal and smart casual nights. People were let into the MDR wearing shorts which I found inappropriate at dinner.

Are the rules for everyone or everyone else?

Tell your grandson 'I like his style' sounds like someone is rasiing him up right. After all there is nothing wrong with bring young children up with maners.

That is awesome! "Out of the mouths of babes", as they say!

Having just returned from this same cruise, i'm not surprised. I was shocked at how people chose to dress in the public spaces during formal and smart casual nights. People were let into the MDR wearing shorts which I found inappropriate at dinner.

Are the rules for everyone or everyone else?

We can't really blame the people who aren't following the dress code rules, it's the line's responsibility to enforce their own rules.

Give an inch....

We can't really blame the people who aren't following the dress code rules, it's the line's responsibility to enforce their own rules.

Give an inch....

Give an inch -- and they think they're a ruler!

You were sure to make mention that all the bankers who ran the financial world into the ground were always well dressed, right?

That the members of the 3rd Reich loved to dress to the 9s too, right?

That rich white guys in suits who were the ones whose decisions resulted in the Deep Water Horizon event, right?

A tuxedo-ed lout is still just a lout.

It isn't the clothing that makes the person. If you were lost in Buxton Maine you'd be more likely to get help from the folks there than if you were lost in NYC by Wall St @ 5 pm.

Derek

So glad your young man enjoys formal night. Mine is 10 and still is 100% against dressing up. He also informed me he is against any meal taking 2 hours to complete. So I guess it will be Lido and Club HAL for him a bit longer. He is of the skint knees, frogs in the pocket, chocolate cake from ear to ear, "but can't I keep him mom?!!" variety as of yet. Think Huck Finn only less mischievous, thank the merciful heavens.

I saw so many handsome men in tuxes on the Noordam on the first formal night this last cruise. My dh and I were thrilled to see so many people in their tip top best. Lots of folks taking the opportunity to get formal pictures done with their whole families too (a great idea btw). I know we bought our pictures from that night. The men who were not in tuxes kind of stuck out in my opinion. Saw many young ladies and gentlemen in formal wear as well. They all looked smashing. I know that when I was 12 yo as a Cinderella girlie girl I would have thrilled at the chance to dress to the nines and have momma and daddy all dressed up too.

Derek

Whenever anyone injects the 3rd Reich and it's adherents into a conversation that is wholly and completely unrelated to WWII, I have a hard time taking them seriously. Not appropriate, not relevant.... purely inflammatory.

Whenever anyone injects the 3rd Reich and it's adherents into a conversation that is wholly and completely unrelated to WWII, I have a hard time taking them seriously. Not appropriate, not relevant.... purely inflammatory.

Couldn't agree more.

You were sure to make mention that all the bankers who ran the financial world into the ground were always well dressed, right?

That rich white guys in suits who were the ones whose decisions resulted in the Deep Water Horizon event, right?

A tuxedo-ed lout is still just a lout.

It isn't the clothing that makes the person. If you were lost in Buxton Maine you'd be more likely to get help from the folks there than if you were lost in NYC by Wall St @ 5 pm.

Derek

WOW.... Just WOW.... You actually found a way to incorporate the 3rd Reich into this thread about a well-behaved 12 year old boy who has manners and made his family proud? Then again... who exactly do you think were the "members of the 3rd Reich" and how would they dress? Heavens help me...that's just too much! :eek:

WOW.... Just WOW.... You actually found a way to incorporate the 3rd Reich into this thread about a well-behaved 12 year old boy who has manners and made his family proud? Then again... who exactly do you think were the "members of the 3rd Reich" and how would they dress? Heavens help me...that's just too much! :eek:

Relax everybody:rolleyes:

Yeah, some extreme examples and rather tasteless. I'm pretty sure he's simply trying to illustrate the point that the clothes do not make the person. Lots of serious jerks in suits. Jerks everywhere, regardless of dress. But surely no one needs me to explain this, right?

Lovely that a young man likes to dress up and enjoy himself. However, if a 12 year old turned his nose up at my Father (who's luggage didn't arrive) .......well, let's just say an opportunity to educate would be forthcoming.

Yeah, some extreme examples and rather tasteless. I'm pretty sure he's simply trying to illustrate the point that the clothes do not make the person. Lots of serious jerks in suits. Jerks everywhere, regardless of dress. But surely no one needs me to explain this, right?

Lovely that a young man likes to dress up and enjoy himself. However, if a 12 year old turned his nose up at my Father (who's luggage didn't arrive) .......well, let's just say an opportunity to educate would be forthcoming.

I can assure you that the threesome my grandson was asking about was not your father. I would have been able to explain his travelling clothes alot easier than the clothes my grandson was questioning.

Very well said.

I have to admit this thread made me a bit uncomfortable from the get-go.

Archived