Constant Complaining - Why?

sail7seas

No, I almost never go to the M&G's and DH only went to one on Noordam years ago. On Maasdam, he does not willingly give up a chance to enjoy aft pool. :)

They knew us from descriptions I've written through the years of some of our routines while aboard. :D On some ships, we go to one lounge or another and on Maasdam often to Ocean Bar. I've mentioned things they remembered which made them think that it might be us and they asked.

Thank you for your response.

How very unfortunate that they located you.

Thank you for the element of balance. As this thread attests, the negativity of chronic complainers saps the spirit but empathy is an important element of an effective response.

So, as I stitch the pieces together, the response I'm canning for future use is: "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your problem and I hope it's fixed soon. I'm having a wonderful time, thank God, and have nothing worth complaining about."

Thank you Bob , I think you crafted a polite response , and a useful one assuming it was true at the time and you in fact had nothing to complain about .

I am absolutely shocked at some of the responses here. Can people actually be so mean as to say to their dinner companions some of the things I see written here ? " I don't care what you think " , " I don't want to hear it " and so on . Truly sickening . Just get another table the next day , OK . And someone here posted " I'll probably never see them again anyway after the cruise " ! What a great thought . Just remember Karma.

And google "The Golden Rule " some of you .

Thank you Bob , I think you crafted a polite response , and a useful one assuming it was true at the time and you in fact had nothing to complain about .

I am absolutely shocked at some of the responses here. Can people actually be so mean as to say to their dinner companions some of the things I see written here ? " I don't care what you think " , " I don't want to hear it " and so on . Truly sickening . Just get another table the next day , OK . And someone here posted " I'll probably never see them again anyway after the cruise " ! What a great thought . Just remember Karma.

And google "The Golden Rule " some of you .

**:)**

Whenever I am cruising, I am too happy to let others complaining get to me. I realize that there are some people that no matter what is good, they find something not so good.

On the few occassions that I have been around a complainer, I move on. If I see them coming at me again, I move on again.

It gets rather boring listening to some people who can not be satisfied over anything.

I bet those complainers are on here complaining that they have to read about everyone complaining about complainers :D:D

I wasn't "complaining" about the people complaining about the people complaining. I was just laughing at the irony of a 6 page thread where everyone was complaining about complaining. I think its a hoot, that's what I think. :)

I wasn't "complaining" about the people complaining about the people complaining. I was just laughing at the irony of a 6 page thread where everyone was complaining about complaining. I think its a hoot, that's what I think. :)

I knew that ;) I was just trying to make a funny :D:D

Ha! Though I will add my own complaint about complainers. DH works for an airline. Without fail, folks will 'share' every bad experience they've had, on any airline, when they find out what he does for a living. Even happened at our recent HAL meet & greet. When we have been on group trips inevitably he has to remind people that he's on vacation too and would rather not talk about work constantly. One of his favorite come backs is, gee if I had all those problems I sure wouldn't fly with them any more! :p

In similar situations, my late father-in-law would reply that he was an undertaker (he wasn't). He had found that such response stopped any further comment pertaining to his alleged profession. OTOH, it sounds like some of these cruise complainers would gripe about their relatives' funerals!

In similar situations, my late father-in-law would reply that he was an undertaker (he wasn't). He had found that such response stopped any further comment pertaining to his alleged profession. OTOH, it sounds like some of these cruise complainers would gripe about their relatives' funerals!

If they could manage it, they'd probably sit up and complain about their own funerals.

Originally Posted by readytogo2 viewpost.gif

I bet those complainers are on here complaining that they have to read about everyone complaining about complainers :D:D

I wasn't "complaining" about the people complaining about the people complaining. I was just laughing at the irony of a 6 page thread where everyone was complaining about complaining. I think its a hoot' date=' that's what I think. :)[/quote']

Now reading this I want to complain about the people who come on here to complain about the people who are complaining about the people complaining. :D

For anyone who deals with customer relations in everyday life, the people who complain on cruise ships are mere amateurs when it comes to complaining.

I find most such complaints on cruise ships amusing rather than upsetting, since I don't have to deal with them.

Besides, they provide entertaining anecdotes to relate afterward. ;)

Sail ,

After 28 in my job , I have learned the following

A person who starts off saying "I don't want to start trouble ". IS STARTING TROUBLE"

Anyone who starts off saying "I don't want to bother you", IS ABOUT TO BOTHER ME"

Anyone who starts off with "This is probably going to sound crazy", IS ABOUT TO TELL ME SOMETHING CRAZY.

And anyone who starts off with "I don't like to complain" IS ABOUT TO COMPLAIN.

*LOL*

Sorry you had to endure this on your cruise . Some people would die if they didn't have something to complain about

And anyone who starts off with "It isn't about the money" IS ABOUT THE MONEY.

Some people just like to complain ... they like the attention it brings them.

I have a close relative like that ... if you bring her a drink, it's the wrong beverage, or it's in the wrong glass, or it's too hot or too cold, or there's too much or not enough ... when I was in her house helping out after she had a baby, I was sorting clean laundry, and she told me I was folding towels "wrong," I was unloading the dishwasher "wrong" ... so I left a few days early. Her food in restaurants is NEVER satisfactory, hotel service is NEVER satisfactory, grocery store clerks are NEVER satisfactory ....

They just want to be told what saints they are for putting up with so much horrible behavior ... everywhere they go!

Just tell 'em "why, you poor thing, bless your heart!" Then wave your hands in the air to make the negativity go away!

(I know, I know, that's the second time I've posted that phrase today ... but both threads involve complainers!)

And anyone who starts off with "It isn't about the money" IS ABOUT THE MONEY.

I really beg to differ about that.

I'll concede it is USUALLY about the money but I can assure you we have had several incidents that were handled very poorly. It involved what we considered to be a very small amount of money but the rudeness and disrespect with which the matter was handled was huge.

It was NOT about the money for us. It was about courtesy and respect from people providing service in the hospitality business to a paying guest.

Maybe DH and I are the rare exception (though I doubt it) but it is NOT always about the money.

All I can say Sail, is if your complainer was anything like the poster who started three separate threads complaining about his HAL cruise - you have my utmost sympathy:)

when people have issues, I have no problem showing empathy, BUT let's face it there are people who are just NEVER happy. I think their goal in life is to make the rest of us as unhappy as they are. Or get one load of sympathy.

Too bad there wasn't a cruise ship just for them and the rest of us could sail with our 'glass 1/2 full attitude' on the other ones.

I don't really understand why some people vacation if all they are going to do is be miserable. it's easy to do that at home;)

Thanks, Kazu.

I think what bothered me most was they made me feel as though I was in some way responsible and answerable for everything they felt was lacking. The tone and manner they used in telling me all the defects immediately made me feel defensive.

It was NOT my problem and why would they think I was the complaint department?

I don't work for HAL and was on vacation of my own..... didn't need or want to hear all their complaints.

Good points about it being about the money. Note that the holiday cruises (the most expensive ones) also seem to have the most complainers.

I guess some folks think that the more they spend the better things should be - they forget that sometimes things are more expensive due to the TIME they are doing it.

DaveOKC

Thanks, Kazu.

I think what bothered me most was they made me feel as though I was in some way responsible and answerable for everything they felt was lacking. The tone and manner they used in telling me all the defects immediately made me feel defensive.

It was NOT my problem and why would they think I was the complaint department?

I don't work for HAL and was on vacation of my own..... didn't need or want to hear all their complaints.

That's what is so rotten about your experience...if someone is miserable and wants to complain, they should keep it in their immediate family. Why a person would assume another vacationer wanted to hear about their woes is beyond me.

After cruising for 12 years, I've reached the conclusion that there are always a few people on a ship who are never happy or satisfied. Some make their fellow passengers miserable with constant whining and complaining, and others take their dissatisfaction out on the staff and crew, often in a loud, disrespectful, and even abusive manner. I have little tolerance or patience with passengers who exhibit either of those behaviors.:(

I don't know that I would say I always see the glass as half full, but it takes a LOT to get me riled up about anything when I'm on vacation. As for the people who scream for compensation due to a missed port or a meal that isn't to their liking, I would just as soon they find a different way to vacation!:D

Hi Sail,

I just read this thread - I missed it when we first came back. Can't believe that happened. First of all remember I said there wasn't anything to complain about in the first place We probably saw each other at the crow's nest because that is also one of our favorite places to go. I can't believe anyone would approach you like that. As my husband says there is just no helping some people. So glad it did not spoil such a wonderful cruise. It is time for a champagne dream in the crows nest right now!!!!!!!

I;m sorry we didn't meet. :)

Actually the only times we were in Crows Nest was for parties.

I don't think we went there after dinner any night this cruise though we usually go at least once or twice. We visited with Nick in Mix some nights.... he's terrific and it was fun seeing him (bartender) again.

Just tell 'em "why, you poor thing, bless your heart!"

Having lived up north for the last fourteen years - I don't use many of my southernisms. Must remember to dig them out of my memory bag.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

SMILE - then everyone will wonder what do you know that they don't.;)

Archived