Oceania vs Celebrity

sabrefan

"Superior" itineraries is very debatable since as we have gotten older, a port- intensive itinerary has become a negative. Sea days are important to us as time to rest and relax between touring. We do not have the same energy as we once had and since I was ill days to rest are even more critical. If a cruise has no sea days, we try to create them by staying on board in a port we have visited before.

I also know people who hate sea days and avoid cruises with lots of sea days.

When we booked our Baltic cruise, we chose Celebrity over Oceania because the Celebrity cruise was longer and had more sea days. Had nothing to do with price. Glad we did that since the Baltics was one of the most exhausting cruise itineraries for us.

But as long as it's a Superior itinerary to me, the one paying the bill, isn't that all that matters?

OMG

They are 2 different lines & you cannot compare

You can try to compare prices but since they have different styles of cabin categories where one line has segregated some passengers by the class of cabins you book ..how is it fair to even compare

You can compare itineraries but all other comparisons are a waste of time & energy

Pick the itinerary, pick the price you are willing to pay with the perks offered

Go & enjoy either line for what they do for you

I have no interest in cruise lines that have more than 1500 pax

so no matter the price I will not be on them :rolleyes:

YMMV

I think you can compare any two cruise lines. It does not mean that the two lines are similar -- simply making a list of pros and cons -- what really matters to you -- number of passengers being a "con" for you but maybe not for others. Lack of entertainment on O or "quietness" of the ship will be a "con" for some and others do not care or consider it a plus. Some people enjoy dressing up a like formal nights -- others do not care for it. Some like fixed seating so they get to know the waiter and vice versa. Others do not. For some the bathroom on the R ships is a deal breaker -- others prefer the R ships over the O class ships eg. For some, food is the number 1 item. Or included booze.

I think comparisons are valid. There is more to consider than itinerary, number of passengers and whether a line is considered Luxury or Mainstream.

I think you can compare any two cruise lines. It does not mean that the two lines are similar -- simply making a list of pros and cons -- what really matters to you -- number of passengers being a "con" for you but maybe not for others. Lack of entertainment on O or "quietness" of the ship will be a "con" for some and others do not care or consider it a plus. Some people enjoy dressing up a like formal nights -- others do not care for it. Some like fixed seating so they get to know the waiter and vice versa. Others do not. For some the bathroom on the R ships is a deal breaker -- others prefer the R ships over the O class ships eg. For some, food is the number 1 item. Or included booze.

I think comparisons are valid. There is more to consider than itinerary, number of passengers and whether a line is considered Luxury or Mainstream.

Yes you can compare some things but comparing prices as most of what this thread seems to be about is not useful

Pick the line that ticks the most boxes for YOU

Price aside

If you think a line costs too much do not book a cruise with them ..simple as that

Moving on

Yes you can compare some things but comparing prices as most of what this thread seems to be about is not useful

Pick the line that ticks the most boxes for YOU

Price aside

If you think a line costs too much do not book a cruise with them ..simple as that

Moving on

No, I disagree, the thread is about many things and some of it was some folks saying Celebrity is more expensive and others tried to clarify.

You can compare any cruise line to any other for your own reasons. The resurrection of this thread was one persons observations and retorts to those observations.

We choose for itinerary purposes and Oceania ticked that box off for us. It just so happened to be more expensive but it is going where we want to go. Price is not an aside for many people. Price is an important factor to some, or many.

What do I think of Oceania? Not comment as we have not been on it yet but, I will certainly make comparison.

Edited by pete_coach

No, I disagree, the thread is about many things and some of it was some folks saying Celebrity is more expensive and others tried to clarify.

You can compare any cruise line to any other for your own reasons. The resurrection of this thread was one persons observations and retorts to those observations.

We choose for itinerary purposes and Oceania ticked that box off for us. It just so happened to be more expensive but it is going where we want to go. Price is not an aside for many people. Price is an important factor to some, or many.

What do I think of Oceania? Not comment as we have not been on it yet but, I will certainly make comparison.

Of course price is important to some people but if price is your only criteria then how do you compare

You can take a Carnival cruise for a lot less than Oceania but does it have the things you value in a cruise experience

for me it does not

I am I willing to pay the price for Oceania

we do not book top suites & I am not bothered with included drink packages or fruit in my cabin daily

YMMD

As I have said many times before

Pick a ship/cruise that ticks the most boxes & price point for YOUR needs/wants

It is good we all have different wants/needs in a cruise experience

Of course price is important to some people but if price is your only criteria then how do you compare

You can take a Carnival cruise for a lot less than Oceania but does it have the things you value in a cruise experience

for me it does not

I am I willing to pay the price for Oceania

we do not book top suites & I am not bothered with included drink packages or fruit in my cabin daily

YMMD

As I have said many times before

Pick a ship/cruise that ticks the most boxes & price point for YOUR needs/wants

It is good we all have different wants/needs in a cruise experience

Never said price was the only criteria. I said "Price is not an aside for many people. Price is an important factor to some, or many. "

As I have said many times before, "We choose for itinerary purposes and Oceania ticked that box off for us."

I am not sure why I made your day but thanks :)

Of course price is an important consideration......for everyone, and not just for some ;)

What you two have been dancing around for these several posts is that price is not a good barometer of value between an Oceania cruise and some other Lines, because there are certain variables, let's use the size of the ship, the alchohol policy as examples, which are almost impossible to quantify on an apples to apples basis.

In short, everything in life cannot be deliberated on a spread sheet!

Of course price is an important consideration......for everyone, and not just for some ;)

What you two have been dancing around for these several posts is that price is not a good barometer of value between an Oceania cruise and some other Lines, because there are certain variables, let's use the size of the ship, the alchohol policy as examples, which are almost impossible to quantify on an apples to apples basis.

In short, everything in life cannot be deliberated on a spread sheet!

Forget the price comparison.... and consider the value of the experience for what you paid. Considering only$$$ on a spread sheet is folly because it dosent consider your emotional and aesthetic experience..your values.

So, for many you cold take a $495 7 day cruise on a ship with 6000 and it would be more expensive in return for your dollar ..value to you.. than a $2000 , 7 day cruise that fulfilled all your personal desires.

Basically, the whole price comparison discussion is silly for other reasons as well. You simply cannot take isolated "comparable" cruises and extrapolate them into a general rule. ALL cruise prices vary from cruise date to cruise date...and change based on the date you book and how sales are going at that time. And cruise lines market with assorted sales and special deals. If you tried to compare EVERY "comparable" Oceania cruise and Celebrity cruise, you'd likely find a wide variance in the "apples for apples" price differential...Sometimes it will be fairly narrow, sometimes quite wide. Search long enough and you might even find a cruise or two where Celebrity is more expensive.

And, trying to take into consideration things like included or waived allegedly "free airfare" or drink packages create moving targets as well..."Free Airfare" for a cruise out of, say, the UK has a different value for someone living in Los Angeles than for someone living in NYC...and may be completely without value for the cruiser living in London. Alcohol packages have different values for those who are heavy drinkers than for light drinkers and, especially, for non-drinkers. You can try to "value" the freebies based on the cruise line's supposed values...but those freebies may not have the same value for YOU.

And, even whether there is more value to a smaller ship vs. a larger ship is debatable. For some people, they would always choose a smaller ship...For others, they value the amenities and activities on some of those larger ships. Everyone is different...and there are cruise lines for everyone...

So, the only question you can ever really ask is "Which specific cruise presents better value for ME?" What is it about the specific itinerary, the specific cruise dates, the specific ship that makes ME want to sail on it...and what is the price for that for ME--for the specific category of cabin I want to book? And--Am I willing to pay the price that they are asking?

Every time I book a cruise, there is a value judgment that goes into it...actually several value judgments. What are the specific ports and times that draw me to the itinerary? What category cabin am I willing to spring for? What sort of budget am I going to add to it for pre- and post-cruise stays, for port tours and more? Every cruise is a separate decision--no hard and fast rules...I happen to really like BOTH Oceania and Celebrity...and I will look to those first for itineraries I like (the price is secondary as I know I can generally afford to fit either into my budget)...But, often I don't find the itinerary I want or need on either...and I'll wind up booking something else--like Princess, RCCL and HAL for my next three. I may not enjoy every aspect of these cruise lines as much as my first couple of choices--but the timing and itineraries fit my needs and I can enjoy almost any cruise (Well, maybe not Carnival)...

But, I'd say for most people, you could probably enjoy both Celebrity AND Oceania..as long as you are not too picky about some things...If you find a cruise on either that you really want to take...and the price, whatever it is, makes sense for you, just book it...

Basically, the whole price comparison discussion is silly for other reasons as well. You simply cannot take isolated "comparable" cruises and extrapolate them into a general rule. ALL cruise prices vary from cruise date to cruise date...and change based on the date you book and how sales are going at that time. And cruise lines market with assorted sales and special deals. If you tried to compare EVERY "comparable" Oceania cruise and Celebrity cruise, you'd likely find a wide variance in the "apples for apples" price differential...Sometimes it will be fairly narrow, sometimes quite wide. Search long enough and you might even find a cruise or two where Celebrity is more expensive.

And, trying to take into consideration things like included or waived allegedly "free airfare" or drink packages create moving targets as well..."Free Airfare" for a cruise out of, say, the UK has a different value for someone living in Los Angeles than for someone living in NYC...and may be completely without value for the cruiser living in London. Alcohol packages have different values for those who are heavy drinkers than for light drinkers and, especially, for non-drinkers. You can try to "value" the freebies based on the cruise line's supposed values...but those freebies may not have the same value for YOU.

And, even whether there is more value to a smaller ship vs. a larger ship is debatable. For some people, they would always choose a smaller ship...For others, they value the amenities and activities on some of those larger ships. Everyone is different...and there are cruise lines for everyone...

So, the only question you can ever really ask is "Which specific cruise presents better value for ME?" What is it about the specific itinerary, the specific cruise dates, the specific ship that makes ME want to sail on it...and what is the price for that for ME--for the specific category of cabin I want to book? And--Am I willing to pay the price that they are asking?

Every time I book a cruise, there is a value judgment that goes into it...actually several value judgments. What are the specific ports and times that draw me to the itinerary? What category cabin am I willing to spring for? What sort of budget am I going to add to it for pre- and post-cruise stays, for port tours and more? Every cruise is a separate decision--no hard and fast rules...I happen to really like BOTH Oceania and Celebrity...and I will look to those first for itineraries I like (the price is secondary as I know I can generally afford to fit either into my budget)...But, often I don't find the itinerary I want or need on either...and I'll wind up booking something else--like Princess, RCCL and HAL for my next three. I may not enjoy every aspect of these cruise lines as much as my first couple of choices--but the timing and itineraries fit my needs and I can enjoy almost any cruise (Well, maybe not Carnival)...

But, I'd say for most people, you could probably enjoy both Celebrity AND Oceania..as long as you are not too picky about some things...If you find a cruise on either that you really want to take...and the price, whatever it is, makes sense for you, just book it...

Absolutely perfect analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely perfect analysis.

Almost perfect - except for the comment about the value of included airfare or a credit instead.

If you are flying a great distance and prefer to make your own arrangements, an air credit is worth a lot. If you happen to live at/near the embarkation/debarkation port, that same air credit, in essence, becomes cash in your pocket. If it was just "included air" the value of which would disappear if you chose to not use it, then it would be an apples to oranges comparison depending on your home base.

Doesn't everything come down to cost? I could think the $3 million dollar house across the street is an awesome value because everything else in Vancouver is going for over $5 million. And I really really like it and want to live there. Doesn't mean I can pay $3 million for it

Smaller ships and better food trumps megaships and mediocre food all the time. Celebrity used to be our cruiseline, as they were the best mainstream line in the industry in the early 2000's. We sailed them often and became Elite Status in a few years.

When the M-class ships when introduced, they were the best in the class. Remember those Conde Nast ratings for Infinty and Constellation? Later we went back to Mercury and Century as the service and food was better than the larger ships. Things have changed for the worse over there @ Celebrity.

I like Frank Del Rio's vision. We met him (and his entire family) on the 10th Anniversary Regatta cruise. Just hope NCL doesn't screw it all up. RCCL did just that to Celebrity, IMHO. :eek: Maybe Celebrity can have some sort of resurgence, eventually. But they would need a new vision. I just don't like their current direction, at all. It's a shame though as we have many good memories with Celebrity.

Smaller ships and better food trumps megaships and mediocre food all the time. Celebrity used to be our cruiseline, as they were the best mainstream line in the industry in the early 2000's. We sailed them often and became Elite Status in a few years.

When the M-class ships when introduced, they were the best in the class. Remember those Conde Nast ratings for Infinty and Constellation? Later we went back to Mercury and Century as the service and food was better than the larger ships. Things have changed for the worse over there @ Celebrity.

I like Frank Del Rio's vision. We met him (and his entire family) on the 10th Anniversary Regatta cruise. Just hope NCL doesn't screw it all up. RCCL did just that to Celebrity, IMHO. :eek: Maybe Celebrity can have some sort of resurgence, eventually. But they would need a new vision. I just don't like their current direction, at all. It's a shame though as we have many good memories with Celebrity.

With the exception of "meeting FDR," this is basically what I've heard from most of the prior Celebrity loyalists during their first Oceania cruise.

Doesn't everything come down to cost? I could think the $3 million dollar house across the street is an awesome value because everything else in Vancouver is going for over $5 million. And I really really like it and want to live there. Doesn't mean I can pay $3 million for it

True the house would be an excellent value... but the question I posed is would it be a "value " to YOU. Thats the the question, and not what is of value to others, resale, appraisal etc

VALUE is qualitative to you not quantitative in dollars/pounds/dinars, euros/francs or reals.

Its a simple equaision... what sort of return do I get on my money I spent, in terms of things valuable to ME and what personal asthetic desires and likes do I get fulfilled for that money.

True the house would be an excellent value... but the question I posed is would it be a "value " to YOU. Thats the the question, and not what is of value to others, resale, appraisal etc

VALUE is qualitative to you not quantitative in dollars/pounds/dinars, euros/francs or reals.

Its a simple equaision... what sort of return do I get on my money I spent, in terms of things valuable to ME and what personal asthetic desires and likes do I get fulfilled for that money.

I said it had value to me I loved the house and I really want to live there. Still doesn't mean I can afford it. Cost is always going to a factor for most of the population

Let me throw another wrinkle into this conversation. Oceania was able to offer me an outstanding SOLO deal. I paid for one person, and the single supplement was just $800 something. So a 10 day Caribbean with Celebrity would be $5178, and the 10 day Oceania was $4061. Both are concierge . . . . Then there are all the other differences. This will be my first Oceania and I'm looking forward to comparing. I do wish the cheaper alcohol package on Oceania was not just with lunch and dinner. So it does force one to pay more if they want to drink around the pool or pre/post dinner drinks. More cruise lines should help out the solo cruiser!

Edited by crilski

More cruise lines should help out the solo cruiser!

I think that the reason that most Lines don't is solid economics; two people occupying the cabin will almost always spend more money on, well...EVERYTHING from cha cha in the boutiques to shore excursions than a solitary person in that same room would.

1_123125_2126996_2180740_2205855_081223_tech_frugaltn.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

I don't know if being alone gives one more time to reconsider purchases before making them, or if splurging is an aspect of the herd mentality but solitary cruises are notoriously frugal.

Let me throw another wrinkle into this conversation. Oceania was able to offer me an outstanding SOLO deal. I paid for one person, and the single supplement was just $800 something. So a 10 day Caribbean with Celebrity would be $5178, and the 10 day Oceania was $4061. Both are concierge . . . . Then there are all the other differences. This will be my first Oceania and I'm looking forward to comparing. I do wish the cheaper alcohol package on Oceania was not just with lunch and dinner. So it does force one to pay more if they want to drink around the pool or pre/post dinner drinks. More cruise lines should help out the solo cruiser!

That would only make economic sense if the ship was in desperate need to fill a lot of empty cabins...

Otherwise it would be shooting themselves in the foot and cutting their profit by 0ver 50%... economic suicide to cut your margin in half and cut on board revenue another 50% . Balking at a $20 a day for a premium drinks up grade illustrates that revenue impact.

Curious, as a solo, looking for a reasonable price, why not book an inside or ocean view, thousands less than a concierge....and they have the same benifits as your concierge ??? And you'd have cash to burn

What insensitive comments about solo travelers. My wife almost became one and I guarantee she would wNt to stay in a suite and would spend more than many couples if she had to travel alone

Where do you get the idea that solo travelers are frugal? Are they all the sAme? Ridiculous

Congrats to the op

We never know when we will be next

Edited by bitob

What insensitive comments about solo travelers. My wife almost became one and I guarantee she would wNt to stay in a suite and would spend more than many couples if she had to travel alone

Where do you get the idea that solo travelers are frugal? Are they all the sAme? Ridiculous

Congrats to the op

We never know when we will be next

As Jim and Stan pointed out....a solo traveler on a ship who's business plan is double occupancy is not in the interest of the company.. That's reality, the real world that business has to survive in. Explaining that is hardly insensitive and in truth why they dont pander to singles except in very rare situations. They can't and survive very long...

I derived my comments directly from the OP's post that she thought paying the $20 extra for prem drinks package was expensive.

I seriously doubt there are many single passengers who spend as much as a double occupancy... If they did then the cruise lines would be doing everything to attract them...they are not

. Maybe your wife and maybe some others spend more than a couple but I seriously doubt that is the norm....