Oceania vs Celebrity

sabrefan

We have sailed lots on X, have our first O trip upcoming. Since the fare is 2X on O I hope it's more upscale. We have always liked our X trips and I consider them the best mass market line. They are miles ahead of HAL, who just lives on hot air in my opinion. X has much bigger ships so you must put up with all that goes with that and no matter what you pay for your room once you leave it all is the same.

We have sailed lots on X, have our first O trip upcoming. Since the fare is 2X on O I hope it's more upscale. We have always liked our X trips and I consider them the best mass market line. They are miles ahead of HAL, who just lives on hot air in my opinion. X has much bigger ships so you must put up with all that goes with that and no matter what you pay for your room once you leave it all is the same.

hypercafe - We have also sailed quite a bit on Celebrity and have been very pleased, over the years. We actually like the "M" Class ships better than the "S" class, as we feel they utilized the space better in the cabins and in the public areas. The drawer space in the cabins on the "S" Class ship is terrible - one CC woman (in her review) said she was glad to have warm underwear in the morning from storing it on the refrigerator. :) There were only 5 draws in our balcony cabin. I had to stand on the bed to get my shirts down daily. Also, an oversized sofa was infront of the closet doors. We are hopng to get back on the "M" class ships in the future.

We are also going on our first Oceania cruise is June - it is the TA to Barcelona from Miami, and we are excited about a different experience. It was such a great deal, we could not pass it by. This will be his 23rd (my Partner) and my 22nd cruise. We are both from NY orginally and now transpalants to S. FL.

The food, service and size of the ships sounds great. The only drawback I see is the entertainment issue, as we do like a bit of nightlife on the ship, but we will manage.

We are hoping for the best...

We have just been on the M class and all the old Century class. We are going on the Summit in Oct. I to hope for the best on our up coming O trip.I love the all resort casual style along with less pass for the size. We. Are going on the new Rivera.

I appreciate all the comments on this thread. We went ahead and booked our first Celebrity cruise, the aforementioned (see a few threads above) Infinity Antartica cruise-by in February 2014. We booked Aqua class - our TA scored a nice cabin on Deck 9 and she is a big Celebrity fan.

I am very excited about this cruise, our first to the southern end of South America and (hopefully) our first glimpse of the seventh continent. We have three cruises ahead of this one, so lots to plan for. Thanks to Laraine and Bruin Steve for their great information.

Which date? Hope 2/2/14..that's the one we are on!! LuAnn

Which date? Hope 2/2/14..that's the one we are on!! LuAnn

Hi LuAnn! That's the one!! The Roll Call is going gangbusters already. In fact, a glimpse at the activity on that Roll Call and on the ones for the same cruises in 2013 convinced us to book the cruise.

Ironically, the Roll Call for our Midnight Sun cruise on Nautica next July has very little activity so far. I was thinking that itinerary would be popular, too, but maybe it's too early and the Inifnity Antartica cruises may be exceptional.

Hi LuAnn! That's the one!! The Roll Call is going gangbusters already. In fact, a glimpse at the activity on that Roll Call and on the ones for the same cruises in 2013 convinced us to book the cruise.

Ironically, the Roll Call for our Midnight Sun cruise on Nautica next July has very little activity so far. I was thinking that itinerary would be popular, too, but maybe it's too early and the Inifnity Antartica cruises may be exceptional.

So glad you signed on!!! Another friend from CC just emailed me today and she's on board as well!!! Going to be fabulous!! LuAnn

We have just been on the M class and all the old Century class. We are going on the Summit in Oct. I to hope for the best on our up coming O trip.I love the all resort casual style along with less pass for the size. We. Are going on the new Rivera.

hypercafe - Over the years on Celebrity we have been on the Horizon, Century, Millenium and Solstice Class ships. We loved that little Horizon ship.

On O we are going on the Regatta, as they had a late TA to Europe with great pricing. Which O ship are you going on? I am sure you will have a great time...

Happy Sailing!!!:)

Yea, I saw that. It would be for my husband and me since my family can't make the cruise with us. We've decided that Aqua class gives us things we wouldn't use. Thanks for the info!

As an additional note, you would not be able to book Aqua Class on Celebrity with a 6-year-old because AQ cabins are restricted to no more than 2 passengers per cabin.

What exactly is "Aqua" class. I have never sailed Celebrity and when I google Aqua class I cannot find an explanation. Is this a class of cabin on all the Celebrity ships? Thanks.

It is a booking class (usually but not always slightly more than Concierge Class) with separate staterooms, spa-related amenities (NOT spa services) and access to a special restaurant BLU. It originated on the Solstice Class ships and is now on the Solsticized M Class ships.

AQ rooms also have upgraded bedding, complimentary bottled water and unlimited access to the spa which has heated tile chairs with connecting sauna and steam room. The most important feature to us was the exclusive dining in BLU for breakfast and dinner. We enjoyed the personalized service and the small size. We are looking forward to our first Ocenia cruise this summer on Marina.

Edited by Gangway

Having completed over 80 cruises on many lines, I find it foolish to try and compare lines. They all are very different in some ways and alike in others. My advise would be to try as many as you can. It won't take you long to figure out which you like best.

~Doris~

Having completed over 80 cruises on many lines, I find it foolish to try and compare lines. They all are very different in some ways and alike in others. My advise would be to try as many as you can. It won't take you long to figure out which you like best.

~Doris~

That would appear to be sound advice, except - not everyone is lucky enough to be able to cruise 80 times. Those people that can cruise less frequently, wish to make their choices more carefully and are thus trying to make a sound decision based on others' experiences (which may or may not hold true for them, but they at least are doing their "homework") :)

You are correct, ultimately it will be they who will decide what they like best.

I don't have to try all of the lines since the 1st thing I look at is the smoking policy. If one is allowed to smoke in their cabin or veranda then that is not the cruise line for me. Since, as Paulchili says, I've done my "homework", that makes O and Celebrity the only ones for me.

Paulchili, ...glad to see you back posting the past couple of weeks. I've missed your insights! c

Thank you c.

We've been away for a while - glad to be back home and visiting on these boards.

I don't have to try all of the lines since the 1st thing I look at is the smoking policy. If one is allowed to smoke in their cabin or veranda then that is not the cruise line for me. Since, as Paulchili says, I've done my "homework", that makes O and Celebrity the only ones for me.

We do the same but you only get a "C" because you left out Azamara that does not allow any smoking indoors just like Azamara and only has one outdoor area for them!:)