Oceania vs Celebrity

sabrefan

OUr suggestion for really enjoyable cruising is Azamara. We have done 5 Oc. and 4 Azamara, plus many other larger ships (which we won't do again). Azamara, which is same size as Oceania smaller ships, offers a warmer environment, a more caring staff, and more included in the price. Our suggestion--try Azamara. ddcruiser

If the last 2 posters are responding to me, remember, I wanted a cruise line with limited smoking for my family which includes a 6 year old. Azamara would not fit this request but Celebrity would. (If you're not responding to me, then ignore this!) c

If the last 2 posters are responding to me, remember, I wanted a cruise line with limited smoking for my family which includes a 6 year old. Azamara would not fit this request but Celebrity would. (If you're not responding to me, then ignore this!) c

Azamara has NO indoor smoking and only one out-door area which can easily be avoided.:rolleyes:

OUr suggestion for really enjoyable cruising is Azamara. We have done 5 Oc. and 4 Azamara, plus many other larger ships (which we won't do again). Azamara, which is same size as Oceania smaller ships, offers a warmer environment, a more caring staff, and more included in the price. Our suggestion--try Azamara. ddcruiser

We tried Azamara, and the food was disappointing. The "formal tea" they had--a small tiered tray on each table with cookies and tiny sandwiches on it-- was almost a joke compared with Oceania's generous, delicious teas.

We tried Azamara, and the food was disappointing.

We sailed with Azamara last May, and loved the food (and most everything else, too). I didn't mind that the tea wasn't a big deal - we didn't go, because we did too much eating anyway! :eek:

Best part were the breakfasts (eggs, bacon, fruit) on our balcony each morning via room service. And we were in the lowest-class of balcony.

I am very sensitive to smoke and didn't have any problem with it on Azamara at all. And I really did love their room service for breakfast. Azamara has the most extensive breakfast menu we've ever seen (of the 7 lines we've sailed on) and we were in the lowest cat of balcony. While there were other things we didn't like, we did find the food, service overall and room service in particular, and the wine to be great on Azamara.

• 4 years later...

I totally agree that both Oceania and Celebrity are excellent lines and you really can't go wrong with either one.

Several people have noted that C is 'your best value at sea' etc. compared to O, but I found that there is not nearly as much of a difference when you take into account that C starts with a low price, but you have to pay for many other things that are already included with O.

For instance, the speciality restaurants are included with O but are extra with C. Plus, C requires that you purchase a beverage package with a daily cost. Of course, some people spend a lot on their drinks at sea, so these packages are certainly better than paying per drink...

Even small items like gelato and speciality coffees can really add up on C, while they are free on O.

Shore excursions are always extra on C., but I understand that some are included with O for certain ships and sailings. Again, this depends on how many times you typically want to go on shore excursions during your trip.

We tend to opt for an itinerary that offers a mix of ports we have already been to (and would like to explore further) and ones that are new to us, along with at least two days at sea to take advantage of all the ship has to offer on board.

With this in mind, having several excursions included plus having basic beverages included (bottled water, soda, coffee, lemonade) means that we would easily save enough money to cover the difference in base price between Oceania and Celebrity.

We've found the service to be great on both lines, but Oceania is just that class above in terms of exceptional attention to detail.

We always sail Concierge with Veranda level on both lines, as we've found the upgrade worth the extra price in terms of stateroom location, amenities and the other touches like priority disembarking etc.

Last time on C we went up another level to Aqua Class and really enjoyed it, especially the exclusive access to 'Blu' their speciality restaurant which gave us some additional variety. (Plus the wait staff at Blu really got to know all of their Aqua Class diners very well, and were happy to bring items from the Grand Dining Room's menu into Blu -- an unexpected surprise that was appreciated.)

I found the spa experience on both lines to be comparable, now that C is also offering Canyon Ranch services, which was formerly a real advantage for O over C.

Something that we enjoy about O is the fact that it is definitely geared towards adults only. If you have children, C is your better bet for their kids & teens' programs.

In terms of sailing companions, there is more of a range on C., but that means you do have to deal with the occasional loudmouth who's had too many drinks at the poolside bar, but that can happen anywhere I suppose!

I should also mention the entertainment. The piano bars and broadway revival shows are not how we choose to spend our time on a cruise, so in that sense, O is a much better fit for us, as they focus their energies on other services, like an impeccable High Tea that shouldn't be missed. If you do enjoy a variety of shows with quality performers, then C will fit the bill for you.

So, at the end of your cruise when you add up every dollar spent, I believe that the two lines are much more comparable than people realise. Ultimately O is a bit more upscale and intimate, as well as sophisticated without being stuffy. C is a solid choice if you are travelling in a group, as there's going to be something suitable for everyone's taste and enjoyment.

For absolute luxury and feeling wonderfully relaxed and spoiled at sea, Oceania edges out Celebrity because of that extra touch of class and attention to detail that turns a very good trip into an exceptional travel experience.

The best news is you won't go wrong with either one, so you'll just have to try both at least once to form your own opinion ;-) Happy Sailing!

I totally agree that both Oceania and Celebrity are excellent lines and you really can't go wrong with either one.

Several people have noted that C is 'your best value at sea' etc. compared to O, but I found that there is not nearly as much of a difference when you take into account that C starts with a low price, but you have to pay for many other things that are already included with O.

For instance, the speciality restaurants are included with O but are extra with C. Plus, C requires that you purchase a beverage package with a daily cost. Of course, some people spend a lot on their drinks at sea, so these packages are certainly better than paying per drink...

Even small items like gelato and speciality coffees can really add up on C, while they are free on O.

Shore excursions are always extra on C., but I understand that some are included with O for certain ships and sailings. Again, this depends on how many times you typically want to go on shore excursions during your trip.

We tend to opt for an itinerary that offers a mix of ports we have already been to (and would like to explore further) and ones that are new to us, along with at least two days at sea to take advantage of all the ship has to offer on board.

With this in mind, having several excursions included plus having basic beverages included (bottled water, soda, coffee, lemonade) means that we would easily save enough money to cover the difference in base price between Oceania and Celebrity.

We've found the service to be great on both lines, but Oceania is just that class above in terms of exceptional attention to detail.

We always sail Concierge with Veranda level on both lines, as we've found the upgrade worth the extra price in terms of stateroom location, amenities and the other touches like priority disembarking etc.

Last time on C we went up another level to Aqua Class and really enjoyed it, especially the exclusive access to 'Blu' their speciality restaurant which gave us some additional variety. (Plus the wait staff at Blu really got to know all of their Aqua Class diners very well, and were happy to bring items from the Grand Dining Room's menu into Blu -- an unexpected surprise that was appreciated.)

I found the spa experience on both lines to be comparable, now that C is also offering Canyon Ranch services, which was formerly a real advantage for O over C.

Something that we enjoy about O is the fact that it is definitely geared towards adults only. If you have children, C is your better bet for their kids & teens' programs.

In terms of sailing companions, there is more of a range on C., but that means you do have to deal with the occasional loudmouth who's had too many drinks at the poolside bar, but that can happen anywhere I suppose!

I should also mention the entertainment. The piano bars and broadway revival shows are not how we choose to spend our time on a cruise, so in that sense, O is a much better fit for us, as they focus their energies on other services, like an impeccable High Tea that shouldn't be missed. If you do enjoy a variety of shows with quality performers, then C will fit the bill for you.

So, at the end of your cruise when you add up every dollar spent, I believe that the two lines are much more comparable than people realise. Ultimately O is a bit more upscale and intimate, as well as sophisticated without being stuffy. C is a solid choice if you are travelling in a group, as there's going to be something suitable for everyone's taste and enjoyment.

For absolute luxury and feeling wonderfully relaxed and spoiled at sea, Oceania edges out Celebrity because of that extra touch of class and attention to detail that turns a very good trip into an exceptional travel experience.

The best news is you won't go wrong with either one, so you'll just have to try both at least once to form your own opinion ;-) Happy Sailing!

A very good and detailed review. Have never sailed C, so I thank you for all the details you give. Very good to know.

MsKitchenSync, thanks for your comparison but I'm not buying that both cruiselines are comparable in costs. We have 2 10 day upcoming cruises, one on Celebrity and one on Oceania. We are staying in similar suites on similar itineraries. The base price of the Oceania is $1,200 per person more expensive. Our Celebrity cruise fare includes the premium beverage package, gratuities, high speed internet for 2 and $650 in OBC. Our Oceania cruise comes with an $800 OBC and Internet for 1. It is going to cost us an additional $600 per person for the drink package plus whatever the gratuities are for 10 days in a suite. We are expecting the Oceania cruise to be $4,000+ more expensive than Celebrity.

Edited by Oville

MsKitchenSync, thanks for your comparison but I'm not buying that both cruiselines are comparable in costs. We have 2 10 day upcoming cruises, one on Celebrity and one on Oceania. We are staying in similar suites on similar itineraries. The base price of the Oceania is $1,200 per person more expensive. Our Celebrity cruise fare includes the premium beverage package, gratuities, high speed internet for 2 and $650 in OBC. Our Oceania cruise comes with an $800 OBC and Internet for 1. It is going to cost us an additional $600 per person for the drink package plus whatever the gratuities are for 10 days in a suite. We are expecting the Oceania cruise to be $4,000+ more expensive than Celebrity.

There are a lot of factors in the equation, but sometimes we can cruise on Oceania in comparable cabins and amenities for less money. Not often, but it can happen.

We will be on our first Oceania cruise come Feb 2017. We have been on all the "big" ships on Celebrity, in the Caribbean and Mediterranean.

While I agree with some of what MsKitchenSync states I do not agree with the cost aspect.

Yes, celebrity does charge for the specialty restaurants and yes, the drink package is included in the price but the drink package also included the coffees and if upgrade to premium, the gelato as well. The gratuities are also always included in the price of a Celebrity cruise.

We also travel concierge and did Aqua once (the spa was not worth the extra money in my opinion).

The cost, well, in my mind, Oceania is considerably more, even taking into account the included items (restaurants being the singular one whereas excursions are one of the 3 choices, excursions, OBC or, basic beverage package, but only one choice). I think the cost is one reason there are less children too.

The drink package (basic or premium) is considerably more on Oceania.

As for service, I cannot comment yet. It is a much smaller ship so there is also "less' of things (like pools, entertainment etc).

The cruise lines are quite different and we are really looking forward to trying out Oceania.

We will be on our first Oceania cruise come Feb 2017. We have been on all the "big" ships on Celebrity, in the Caribbean and Mediterranean.

While I agree with some of what MsKitchenSync states I do not agree with the cost aspect.

Yes, celebrity does charge for the specialty restaurants and yes, the drink package is included in the price but the drink package also included the coffees and if upgrade to premium, the gelato as well. The gratuities are also always included in the price of a Celebrity cruise.

We also travel concierge and did Aqua once (the spa was not worth the extra money in my opinion).

The cost, well, in my mind, Oceania is considerably more, even taking into account the included items (restaurants being the singular one whereas excursions are one of the 3 choices, excursions, OBC or, basic beverage package, but only one choice). I think the cost is one reason there are less children too.

The drink package (basic or premium) is considerably more on Oceania.

As for service, I cannot comment yet. It is a much smaller ship so there is also "less' of things (like pools, entertainment etc).

The cruise lines are quite different and we are really looking forward to trying out Oceania.

Pete, the items I bolded are not correct. Gratuities are an option you can purchase through the Go Big Better Best etc with Celebrity, although many TA's will pick them up. They are also not included on Oceania but are for many people.

The cost is not the only reason there are few children on Oceania, there's nothing for them to do on 95% of their cruises. Also most of Oceania's demographic children are grown.

The drink package, Oceania has nothing comparable to Celebrity's Classic. The premium on Oceania is $60, this includes grats, which is about $15 cheaper than Celebrity's. One advantage to getting a package on Celebrity is all the water, sodas and other non alcoholic drinks are included in either, otherwise you pay for all of them. On Oceania it's included for everyone.

Pete, the items I bolded are not correct. Gratuities are an option you can purchase through the Go Big Better Best etc with Celebrity, although many TA's will pick them up. They are also not included on Oceania but are for many people.

The cost is not the only reason there are few children on Oceania, there's nothing for them to do on 95% of their cruises. Also most of Oceania's demographic children are grown.

The drink package, Oceania has nothing comparable to Celebrity's Classic. The premium on Oceania is $60, this includes grats, which is about $15 cheaper than Celebrity's. One advantage to getting a package on Celebrity is all the water, sodas and other non alcoholic drinks are included in either, otherwise you pay for all of them. On Oceania it's included for everyone.

Pete's not totally incorrect as Celebrity has included all perks on occasion for those staying in ocean view or above. For sure all perks, including the Premium Beverage Package, are included when you book a suite.

We like Pete will be taking our first Oceania cruise in January and we are really looking forward to it.

Katie

Edited by Oville

Pete's not totally incorrect as Celebrity has included all perks on occasion for those staying in ocean view or above. For sure all perks, including the Premium Beverage Package, are included when you book a suite.

We like Pete will be taking our first Oceania cruise in January and we are really looking forward to it.

Katie

Yes, they do have those promotions, but he said always included, which is not correct.

I enjoy both cruise lines, but for different reasons. It's all good.

Katie

Yes, they do have those promotions, but he said always included, which is not correct.

I enjoy both cruise lines, but for different reasons. It's all good.

I said they were always included because each time I booked a cruise with Celebrity or with a Travel Agent, those "perks" were always included.They were part of the packages we bought but they are so common, it is one of those things available for almost every cruise.

As for the drink package, I am sorry, prices have gone up since we had to buy one. The drinks were also one of those "perks" offered.

As for price, a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Equinox 10 day at Concierge level is $1864 USD (2949 CAD) or Aqua class for $3,039 CAD ($2267 USD) and Oceania A3 - Concierge Level Veranda 10 day is 3699 USD. Quite a difference.

I am not looking for an argument which cruise line is better. There are defenders of the faith for both lines and their loyalty is admirable :).

They are different lines and, as I said, we are looking forward to the Oceania cruise.

Edited by pete_coach

Does anyone wonder why MsKitchenSync posted her very first CC post on a thread that is 4 years old?

Although she made a fairly good comparison, many things about Celebrity were incorrect. For example, this quote.

Plus, C requires that you purchase a beverage package with a daily cost.

Agree! No matter how we compare, Oceania is always more expensive than Celebrity when looking at the same itineraries and comparing apples to apples as far as amenities/cost go.

Just some things that should not be factored in:

Some people do not care that soft drinks are included in the price of the fare, just as some are not drinkers of alcohol. On Celebrity, water, tea, lemonade, etc. are included. Just not the soft drinks. We can do without a Coke. ;)

Excursions: We rarely book excursions through a cruiseline because they are so much better and less expensive booked independently from the cruiseline.

There is no comparison in the coffee's. Celebrity wins hands down for the Cafe Al Bacio coffee's (included in both the Classic and Premium packages. Regular coffee and pastries are free for all! The hot chocolate is simply horrible on Oceania! Tiny Dixie cups, watered down chocolate syrup (think hot kids Quik.) We were shocked. I started picking up a package of the instant hot chocolate from the Terraces Cafe and making my own with the hot water and coffee creamer. Much better! Still paled in comparison with the frothy hot chocolate with whipped cream on Celebrity.

On Celebrity, we receive free Gelato for being in certain classes of the Captains Club. The Gelato is not all that great, so would never pay for it. However, there is free ice cream and soft serve yogurt around the ships.

Sure, there is no arguing that the specialty restaurants on oceania are very good and included in price. However, many times, specialty restaurants are included on Celebrity. We had two included on our last Celebrity cruise. And with so much OBC, we can choose to use it toward dining. Discounts are usually given, as well. And already mentioned are the two separate dining venues for booking in an Aqua Spa Veranda or Suite categories. We love Blu and Luminae!

Those are just a few differences, but everyone has their opinions. ;)

I cannot comment on great service because it was missing on our first Oceania cruise. Looking forward to trying for that again in February.:)

Does anyone wonder why MsKitchenSync posted her very first CC post on a thread that is 4 years old?

Although she made a fairly good comparison, many things about Celebrity were incorrect. For example, this quote.

Agree! No matter how we compare, Oceania is always more expensive than Celebrity when looking at the same itineraries and comparing apples to apples as far as amenities/cost go.

Just some things that should not be factored in:

Some people do not care that soft drinks are included in the price of the fare, just as some are not drinkers of alcohol. On Celebrity, water, tea, lemonade, etc. are included. Just not the soft drinks. We can do without a Coke. ;)

Excursions: We rarely book excursions through a cruiseline because they are so much better and less expensive booked independently from the cruiseline.

There is no comparison in the coffee's. Celebrity wins hands down for the Cafe Al Bacio coffee's (included in both the Classic and Premium packages. Regular coffee and pastries are free for all! The hot chocolate is simply horrible on Oceania! Tiny Dixie cups, watered down chocolate syrup (think hot kids Quik.) We were shocked. I started picking up a package of the instant hot chocolate from the Terraces Cafe and making my own with the hot water and coffee creamer. Much better! Still paled in comparison with the frothy hot chocolate with whipped cream on Celebrity.

On Celebrity, we receive free Gelato for being in certain classes of the Captains Club. The Gelato is not all that great, so would never pay for it. However, there is free ice cream and soft serve yogurt around the ships.

Sure, there is no arguing that the specialty restaurants on oceania are very good and included in price. However, many times, specialty restaurants are included on Celebrity. We had two included on our last Celebrity cruise. And with so much OBC, we can choose to use it toward dining. Discounts are usually given, as well. And already mentioned are the two separate dining venues for booking in an Aqua Spa Veranda or Suite categories. We love Blu and Luminae!

Those are just a few differences, but everyone has their opinions. ;)

I cannot comment on great service because it was missing on our first Oceania cruise. Looking forward to trying for that again in February.:)

Thank you, we will be on our first Oceania cruise in January and are looking forward to it. But I found MsKitchenSync comparison not realistic. Her Celebrity facts were not from someone who has cruised Celebrity recently.

Katie

Edited by Oville

Is the $2k/person difference before or after you've adjusted for O's added airfare or air credit? What about your TA's added OBC (over the O Life OBC).?

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We used to cruise Celebrity quite frequently since 2000, and have more than 35 cruises on that line, mostly in the PH or RS. In our opinion, Celebrity has regressed in many areas, and they've taken things away that they used to include, all the while hiking prices by a goodly amount. And please, don't believe for one moment that all those perks are "free". You're paying for all those things via their increased fares. They've gotten rid of some of their best specialty restaurants on the M class ships and replaced them with a cheaper to run, and in our opinion, inferior replacement. They've greatly reduced staff, causing a big downfall in service------just try getting a bar waiter or wine steward in the MDR. We took our first cruise on Oceania, and we loved it so much we booked a second one for the very next month and we have three more O cruises booked. We left Celebrity for many reasons, and we will never look back.

And yes, this thread was started 4 years ago, so a lot of what was originally written has changed. And, I feel that some of the things MsKitchenSync wrote are incorrect, such as saying that you are required to buy a drink package, not to mention her cost comparisons are faulty.

Btw, how does a new poster find a thread that's four years old?

There are a lot of "refugees" from Celebrity that have recently tried Oceania. We are one of them. As far as higher fares, we have opted to sail less often, choose suites and enjoy the luxury that Celebrity has abandoned. The result is we have found we are excited once again about sailing with Oceania. Sailing on low fares with Captains Club perks(30+ cruises) became same old/same old for us. The declining Celebrity standards was the final deal breaker

There are a lot of "refugees" from Celebrity that have recently tried Oceania. We are one of them. As far as higher fares, we have opted to sail less often, choose suites and enjoy the luxury that Celebrity has abandoned. The result is we have found we are excited once again about sailing with Oceania. Sailing on low fares with Captains Club perks(30+ cruises) became same old/same old for us. The declining Celebrity standards was the final deal breaker

While we are not new to O...we ...I think..just sailed our last T/A on X!!! We have been "Elite Plus" on X ...hate the term but that shows our past sailing "credits...."....but many of our recent T/As had been on AZ and O... and TBH...this last T/A on the Sillie...will be our last on X. It was a ZOO...with the entire "Elite" experience just a "cattle car call"...and we won't do it again.

While we will sail X again for other cruises..TBH...O is just too expensive for us on "regular sailings" we will go back to O and AZ for our T/As ...which we tend to do twice a year. Sorry X...that ship will sail without us!!! LuAnn

Is the $2k/person difference before or after you've adjusted for O's added airfare or air credit? What about your TA's added OBC (over the O Life OBC).?

My comparison was without air on O. Interestingly enough, the OBC from our TA is the exact same amount ($700) on both cruises.

Katie

Edited by Oville