Disembarkation in NYC

dapod423

I will be on the Gem 5/5-5/12. Disembarkation in NY is set for 8am. In reality what time can I expect to be off the ship and through customs? Does anyone have personal experience? I'm trying to see if we will be able to make a couple of events that day. I'm sure we'll be exhausted (or completely relaxed).

Gotta love the season of Communions, Confirmations, BBQs and birthday parties!

i have disembarked in n.y. many times

i would not expect to be off the ship before 9 a.m because of walk off lines

then figure almost an hour for customs

figure almost 10 a.m. to have all luggage in hand and be ready to leave pier

of course give or take 20 min. here or there

time is approx. and there are many variables

JMHO :)

We have sailed many times out of NYC. Barring any delays, you can be off the ship by 9:30 or so. If you choose self-disembarkation (where you carry your own luggage instead of putting it outside the night before), you might even get off earlier...

Sailed the Gem last November. With self disembarkation, we were off the ship by

8:15 AM. Our tour bus did not arrive until almost noon. It was a long wait. Should have done the latest time off the ship and slept in on the last day. It went really smoothly. Of course, you have to arrive on time to start getting off that early.

I will be on the Gem 5/5-5/12. Disembarkation in NY is set for 8am. In reality what time can I expect to be off the ship and through customs? Does anyone have personal experience? I'm trying to see if we will be able to make a couple of events that day. I'm sure we'll be exhausted (or completely relaxed).

Gotta love the season of Communions, Confirmations, BBQs and birthday parties!

If you carry off your own luggage and line up early, I think you could easily be off before 9am. I was off and waiting for my ride by 9:30, but I was also on my balcony earlier watching others claim their cars from the parking lot.

We are returning from the Gem on Easter Sunday at 10:00am. Would we be off the ship by noon? Would we be able to have a sitdown breakfast that morning? We've never sailed NCL before.

Provided they aren't delayed and there are no immigration issues, yes, you should be off by noon. And, you can enjoy breakfast in the main dining room any morning, not just the last one. Welcome to NCL!

Provided they aren't delayed and there are no immigration issues, yes, you should be off by noon. And, you can enjoy breakfast in the main dining room any morning, not just the last one. Welcome to NCL!

Oh yes, thank you, I'm sure we will! I'll also enjoy the quick 1-1/2 hour drive to the port versus paying overpriced airfare to Florida or San Juan!

Coming back from Bermuda we docked at 7:30am and were walking off the ship at 7:50, thru customs and driving away from the garage at 8:15. We that said we were in line at 7:30 and were one of the 1st to walk off

I have the opposite question...how late has anyone been able to get off the ship? We are flying out of JFK at 5. We considered sightseeing or something before heading to the airport but figured by the time we find a place to stow our luggage we won't have that much time to do anything. Since we will be there for three days pre-cruise we have decided to sleep in and try to be the last off the ship:D Now I am trying to decide what time to tell the car service to pick us up.

As you can see there are a lot of different times people experience when they can actually get off the boat. You should look up to see how many ships are calling that day as well because Customs is sometimes hard pressed providing enough agents in Manhattan and Brooklyn on certain days you could be delayed.

On my Jewel trip they started to let walk off's off at 9:00p but the entire debarkation process was stopped for over 30 minutes with only the announcement it was a Custom Hold. We did not get off the boat until just before 11a.

On our last cruise which returned to NYC on April 7, we chose the latest disembarkation time, which I believe was 10:40. However, they called our color at 10:10. Walked off the ship, picked up our luggage, breezed through customs, got a taxi, and were back home in Queens an hour later.

I think the reason why this was such a breeze was that we chose the very last disembarkation time and most passengers had already left the ship.

I would think they want everyone off the ship by 10-10:30 since

the next cruisers start boarding at noon-ish.

5:00 is a late flight. Lots of hours at the airport.

It is that, but the only other non stop was at 11 and I didn't want to spend our entire 10 days worrying about making it. I figure if we get off late, it will be close to 1 by the time we get to JFK, checked in, etc. find someplace to have a nice lunch and the fly on home. Don't want to compress too fast!:D

It is that, but the only other non stop was at 11 and I didn't want to spend our entire 10 days worrying about making it. I figure if we get off late, it will be close to 1 by the time we get to JFK, checked in, etc. find someplace to have a nice lunch and the fly on home. Don't want to compress too fast!:D

11:00 would be cutting it close in case of traffic and airlines what you there 1-2 hours prior to take-off.

I would think you will make it to JFK by noon.

We are returning from the Gem on Easter Sunday at 10:00am. Would we be off the ship by noon? Would we be able to have a sitdown breakfast that morning? We've never sailed NCL before.

Why does the arrival of the Gem say 10:00am and they have everyone off the ship within the hour?

Most Gem itineraries have an arrival time in NY of 7 or 8 am. that's why everyone is off the ship by 10 or 10:30.

Your cruise is a Caribbean itinerary with a much longer distance to cover from your last port of call to NY....that's why your arrival time is listed at 10am...and as a result on your cruise not everyone will be off the ship by 11...it will likely be at least 12:30 before everyone disembarks your cruise.

Most Gem itineraries have an arrival time in NY of 7 or 8 am. that's why everyone is off the ship by 10 or 10:30.

Your cruise is a Caribbean itinerary with a much longer distance to cover from your last port of call to NY....that's why your arrival time is listed at 10am...and as a result on your cruise not everyone will be off the ship by 11...it will likely be at least 12:30 before everyone disembarks your cruise.

Excellent! Thanks for the response. We disembark on Easter Sunday, so it sounds like we'll be able to have a semi-leisurely breakfast in the MDR before getting off the ship.

Edited by ibcnusoon

11:00 would be cutting it close in case of traffic and airlines what you there 1-2 hours prior to take-off. Exactly

I would think you will make it to JFK by noon. Not if we sleep in, eat our breakfast slowly and try hard to be the last folks off the ship! [/quote]

:D